DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Are you planning on doing some sort of press release to additional companies? Is your extra spare prototype still not in your possession? If so, any chance you could get Linus to look at it? He's got a good following in North America. (I know we mentioned this before but any updates on this?)
Linus would break it.

Are you planning on doing some sort of press release to additional companies? Is your extra spare prototype still not in your possession? If so, any chance you could get Linus to look at it? He's got a good following in North America. (I know we mentioned this before but any updates on this?)

I will get the black prototype back this week. If it is ok I will ship it to the US to Linus and Pcper.
They allready waiting for it :rolleyes:.

I will get the black prototype back this week. If it is ok I will ship it to the US to Linus and Pcper.
They allready waiting for it :rolleyes:.
Awesome! It will surely help getting the word out. Really hope it reaches 1000+ units.

More like this:

8€ toGermany
20€ to rest of EU
2-32€ rest of world (because of the saved VAT)

Thank you for clarifying these part, i assume that post for ordering two cases will be the same as ordering only one, am i right?

Can't wait to see the project reviewed by Linus :D

From the website

Note: With SFX-L you are limited to one drive in the drive bay

Does that mean 1 drive in the drive bay and 1 in the front-area (2 drives total), or does it really mean just 1 drive in total in the whole system?

Last edited:
Thanks. Useful to know, although having said that I can't find a SXF-L PSU that I like the look of anyway. So bit of a moot point :)

Would you recommend a reference graphics card or an aftermarket one with 2-3 open fans? I know the case supports both, but which would be better for thermals? What about for dust?

Also, if I get the GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition with the backplate, could I remove the plastic shield?

This case will get over 1000 orders in the first 24 hours. It's not a holy grail (yet), but it is holy grail-ish. And people pay a lot for that.

Cat wait! Although 02:00 in Australia. Hope there are still cases left by the time I wake up :)

Would you recommend a reference graphics card or an aftermarket one with 2-3 open fans?

My answer:
I can answer this question for you. Both will work fine, but Dan tested both designs and found that the non-references designs (the ones with multiple large fans) performed better in his case. I was skeptical, but his reasoning makes sense: The case is so small that there is no room between the side of the video card and the side of the case. So the fans on the side of the video card are actually sucking in air from outside the case. Hot air is then blown around inside the case and then exhausted out the top of the case due to positive air pressure and convection.

So it turns out that the benefit of larger fans sucking in more outside air outweighs the benefit of a reference cooler exhausting air directly out of the case. You can thank Dan for doing this testing and publishing the results!

Would you recommend a reference graphics card or an aftermarket one with 2-3 open fans? I know the case supports both, but which would be better for thermals? What about for dust?

Also, if I get the GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition with the backplate, could I remove the plastic shield?

This case will get over 1000 orders in the first 24 hours. It's not a holy grail (yet), but it is holy grail-ish. And people pay a lot for that.

Hi Victor,

For myself I like reference cards more. Both types perform better as in any other case in the A4-SFX, because they get fresh air from the outside. From the thermal view, aftermarket cards have bigger thermal solutions so they are better.
Yes this will be possible, you can remove the plastic shield!

By the way, you got an PM ;)

I wonder if the cyrorig c7 cooler is tall enough such that it comes so close to the side panel, that the heatsink fan basically pulling (or pushing) air from outside the case through the side panel like the gpu airflow process dondan describes?

And I know it wasnt designed as such, but I also wonder how typical overclocking performance (both cpu and gpu) compares to a similar setup in a typical ITX case or ATX case

I wonder if the cyrorig c7 cooler is tall enough such that it comes so close to the side panel, that the heatsink fan basically pulling (or pushing) air from outside the case through the side panel like the gpu airflow process dondan describes?

And I know it wasnt designed as such, but I also wonder how typical overclocking performance (both cpu and gpu) compares to a similar setup in a typical ITX case or ATX case

Well, seeing as how the maximum HSF height is 48m, and the Cryorig C7 is 47mm tall (with included fan), there would ba a 1mm gap between the inside panel surface & the fan…

So yeah, it's pulling cool air directly from outside the chassis, much like the explanation given regarding the GPU…

Yea, would be great if we could see how the Cryorig C7 stacks up against the other coolers that Dan has tested (see opening post).
I don't like its custom/proprietary frame for the cooler, but might change my mind if the cooling gain is worth it.

edit: Nevermind, I haven't been paying attention. Here is Dondan's post regarding C7 performance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link..the pictures in dan's post also shows how close the c7 fan sits to the vent holes on the side of the case. With both the GPU and CPU fans sitting up to the sides like that, breathing outside air, makes me even more enthusiastic about this case!

Thanks. Useful to know, although having said that I can't find a SXF-L PSU that I like the look of anyway. So bit of a moot point :)
You and me both. I might end up with the corsair sf600 (yeah, just sfx, but a good performer), but the Lian Li 750 was just released. More overhead and larger size can mean a quieter fan.

You and me both. I might end up with the corsair sf600 (yeah, just sfx, but a good performer), but the Lian Li 750 was just released. More overhead and larger size can mean a quieter fan.

Any retailers in the EU which sells this? i can only find it on newegg..

Hi Dan! By any chance could you tell me what the price would be to ship to Australia? I've been a fan of this project for a long time (2014), but only now have I created an account to add to this thread!

Reactions: Gurok
like this
Hi Dan

Have been following this post for years now and I am looking forward to supporting your kickstarter on sunday.
Congratulations on making it so far!

Does anybody know if there is enough clearance for G.Skill Trident Z memory when using Cryorig C7 on a Asus Z170I PRO GAMING motherboard?

Also does anybody have concerns about using a Samsung 950 Pro in this case? It will be sitting right between the back of the motherboard and the GPU. In other words - in a very tight spot, with little ventilation and a lot of heat generated in this area. The Samsung 950 Pro has been known to have heat issues.

Once again, thank you Dan for all the work you have put into this.

I was referring to European resellers, I am aware that it is available in the US. The expected shipping date for the usual retailers is 3 months.
We have it in Denmark.. I don't know where they get it from :)

It's the same here in Germany. I ordered mine two weeks ago and the retailer said it will be in stock in the beginning of June, now it says ready for delivery in 83 days :(

When Tom's Hardware reviewed the SF450, they had to work to get the fan to spin even under load. Check the review on the US TH site.

SF450 user here, it's very quiet PSU, I'd say it's the best option for this build.
Far better than noisy and grindy silverstone sf series.

Also sorry for my ignorance, is it possible to use risercard not with video card, but with 4 lane PCIe peripheral card?

Last edited:
Back