DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

It's will it fit time again ...

Sapphire Nitro 390 with Backplate:

Seems just a tad to long at slightly over 300mm. Width and Height should be ok, but as i mentioned, it looks like a centimeter to long. :confused: Don't cite me on it, though.

I agree, some real update would be nice. I've been holding off for at least 6-9 months for this and were now almost halfway through the first quarter. This is also after the prior release time of q4 of 2015. The suspense! Is the case really goIng to release in the very near future or not?

Currently I am in the progress of making the CE declaration that is required for selling a product like this in the EU. Therefor I have to comply some EU directives. To comply the directives I have to do different test procedures that are descriped in DIN/EN norms. Because it is very colplicated to do the test procedures and you need special test equip I work together with the German TÜV.

So if you currently need a case I can only advice you to buy yourself a transitional case and switch to the A4-SFX if it available. Furthermore from the end of the crowdfunding campaign to the delivery ther will be also 2-3 Month.

Last edited:
Currently I am in the progress of making the CE declaration that is required for selling a product like this in the EU. Therefor I have to comply some EU directives. To comply the directives I have to do different test procedures that are descriped in DIN/EN norms. Because it is very colplicated to do the test procedures and you need special test equip I work together with the German TÜV.

So if you currently need a case I can only advice you to buy yourself a transitional case and switch to the A4-SFX if it available. Furthermore from the end of the crowdfunding campaign to the delivery ther will be also 2-3 Month.

Sounds good, 2-3 months without hitches makes me excited! Thanks for the update. :D

Thanks for the update, Dan. I'm super excited and can hardly wait! I will buy something to hold me over until then, maybe something cheap.

Sounds good, 2-3 months without hitches makes me excited! Thanks for the update. :D

Well, 2-3 months after crowd funding–– so probably more like 3-4 months from now, right?

Still, very exciting news, thanks for keeping us in the loop Dondan!

Well, 2-3 months after crowd funding–– so probably more like 3-4 months from now, right?

Still, very exciting news, thanks for keeping us in the loop Dondan!

Oh my bad, read that wrong. Still excited and can't wait!

How long did crowdfunding take with the NCase? I've never been a part of one.

Is a month typical for the duration of the crowd funding or was that just the length it took to get the necessary numbers for a first ncase production run?

It's a typical crowdunding time. However, ncase's goal of $67,000 was overshot and raised $150,000 and ended 21 days after it started. They also had a crowdunding for their prototype that raised $8,000.

I hope we see a kick starter soon. Is there a limit per person dan? I'm hoping to grab 3, two for me and 1 for my wife

The timing hopefully will also coincide with some of the new 4K OLED's that are coming out...

My poor bank account. It's not going to know what hit it.

The kickstarter hasn't even started yet and I'm having this terrible argument in my head -- silver or black. I love the black but unfortunately everything on my desk is black, including the desk.

Last edited:
Dondan: I am looking to purchase the ASRock Z170M-ITX/ac mobo because I need the PCI-Express slot for my Broadcom network card. (Hackintosh build)

I noticed the Broadcom BCM94360CD is 57mm long. I also noticed the max cpu heigh is 48mm. Can I safely assume this Broadcom card will not fit?

Where are you getting 57mm from? I just measured mine to be about 46mm. Or abount 50-51 mm with a Mini-PCIe adapter - standard full-size Mini-PCIe.

I am guessing that this should fit - memory is allowed to be 52mm high, so unless the Mini-PCIe socket is higher than the RAM socket, the same should apply to Mini-PCIe cards. dondan, you haven't by any chance tried that?

How long after the inspection from the German TÜV will a crowdunding start? Or is there more things to be done first

Well, he will need to found DAN Cases and get the WEEE certificate. Furthermore, it will take some time to set up the Crowdfunding campaign, so I think it will still take a while.

I feel it will be this fall. More tempting to wait since I'm also waiting for the Nvidia 1000 series cards.

I just hope this doesn't get overwhelming for one person (Dan). I can see this case selling a ton.

Yeah, I mean it's the only case that uses this riser config, which essentially results in the most space-efficient way to place a motherboard, power supply and graphics card next to each other. You sacrifice a big/water cooler and you gain a 40% smaller size on average, I'd say that's more than worth it. Other manufacturers may pick up the design, but right now it's the only one, and also its external design is beautiful. So if it picks up I really see it selling big!

I'm just hopeful it arrives at my door in time for my birthday... in September. :)

Me too, i was hoping the same, but mine's in March. But it seams we have to wait but i'm sure it will be worth it.

Dan has me waiting on his beautiful case like:

P1050745.jpg

Hi Dan,
I was trying to figure out how to make a mounting bracket for two 2.5" HDD with max thickness of 9.5mm to be mounted in A4 when using SFX-L but there is just no way to do it without you help. (don't know how is it mounted on to the case it self)

Is there a chance you could provide the drawing (same one as with 15mm drives just slimmer or even better is it an option for you to sell it as an accessory - if there is enough interest)

Also if you can give a GO or NO GO on 390 NITRO in the case ...
2016-02-10 15.44.36.jpg

2016-02-10 15.45.38.jpg

2016-02-10 15.34.35.jpg

P.S. already have all the hardware to go in to A4, just need to get this thing sorted and of course get the case (currently using CM Elite 130 as place holder)

Hey Dan, I've been lurking on this thread (and HF) for a while now. I can't wait until this becomes a reality.

An actual question, unless this was already answered: Have you checked the temps between the Mobo and the graphics card? My M.2 is back there, and I've heard these new super fast ones are actually generating a lot of heat. The Node 202 had an issue with heat around the back of the graphics card, if I'm remembering correctly.

dominathan: Yes I have checked this. Under full load (Prime95 + Furemark + Copytest) the msata SSD on the backside reached 52°C. But modern NVMe SSD could reach much more higher temps.

QuantumBraced: Currently I am in the progess of CE certification. I will made next week an Update.

Great, I look forward to it!

Question for whomever wants to take it -- I think this was addressed earlier a little, but why do the side panels have the 90 degree bends at the bottom with screws? Doesn't the A4-SFX use the same push-pin design as the M1? Are those really necessary? Would the panels be any less secure if I didn't screw them in? I think that takes away from the minimalist design of the case.

Question for whomever wants to take it -- I think this was addressed earlier a little, but why do the side panels have the 90 degree bends at the bottom with screws? Doesn't the A4-SFX use the same push-pin design as the M1? Are those really necessary? Would the panels be any less secure if I didn't screw them in? I think that takes away from the minimalist design of the case.

The 90 degree bends were added to the bottom of the case, I believe, for support. Those bends were originally on the front view of the case and no one liked that look, so it was moved to the bottom.

Great, I look forward to it!

The reason is that with the push-pin solution, the panels sag a little, so their top edge isn't flush with the top of the rest of the case. To account for that, you can screw in the bottom flanges with two screws each. If you don't care you don't have to do that, that way you get quicker access to your hardware.

Thanks, I was just looking for more info on that, which is why I asked the same question again. How is this situation different from push-in panels on other cases that don't have/need the bottom extensions? Like the M1, it uses the exact same pins. Do the M1 panels sag? If not, how did they solve the problem? I don't think anyone will be screwing these in quite honestly... It would have been nice to just add more push pins to avoid "sagging". Thumbscrews on the back of regular cases are a nuisance to unscrew to take off panels, let alone putting the case on its side, using a screwdriver for 4 screws and then taking off the panels, and then doing the same in reverse. Considering how small and accessing the case is, I'll probably be cleaning it regularly, so those screws are never going on there.

And a second unrelated question - I actually went thru the first 50 pages of the thread today, as I was curious to learn about the development process. And I came across clear acrylic panels which I think look absolutely sick. It would be great if we get those as an option later. They may be lighter too and not sag. Is this considered? I hope so.

Back