DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Does it seem like this motherboard has a bit more clearance? (look at the distance between the cooler mounting holes.
J1kZpaidX3Bzq7Px_setting_fff_1_90_end_1000.png

Does it seem like this motherboard has a bit more clearance? (look at the distance between the cooler mounting holes.
J1kZpaidX3Bzq7Px_setting_fff_1_90_end_1000.png
That looks like the Asus Z170i Pro Gaming, which I also own. I've only been able to eye ball it, but it looks like the clearance for the M.2 is roughly 1mm better. I returned my C7 awhile ago so I can't check if it works.

Take a look at this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1461923/...t-r1-uni-c1-h5-xf140-xt140/2140#post_24759323

They are sending washers to replace the backplate due to compatibility issues.
Sounds great and I might buy the C7 again. Probably not though since I own too many ITX coolers. Sounds like a similar config many other companies are using, like Noctua.

I like oc'ing to tweak everything out of the hardware (on reasonable levels), but ofcourse oc'ing isnt necessary for gaming per se. It does give me the choice to go for the m1 where I am able to oc, but I love this form factor way more :). Decisions, decisions. Does anybody have an idear if there are solutions for better cooling in this case that does make oc'ing an option?

As mentioned, overclocking looks pretty pointless for gaming from the testing I've seen.

Same FPS even with a Titan X:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-review

Same FPS even underclocked to 3.0ghz with a 980:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/10

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/16

Also Prime and AIDA used in the TPU review are way more stressful and will cause higher temps than any game.

I have a quick question... I'm trying to decide on a pcie riser to use and I haven't kept up on the last 30 pages or so, but I'm hoping Dondan or someone can tell me why the A4 was going to use the cheaper Li Heat riser, but then went back to the 3M?

I like oc'ing to tweak everything out of the hardware (on reasonable levels), but ofcourse oc'ing isnt necessary for gaming per se. It does give me the choice to go for the m1 where I am able to oc, but I love this form factor way more :). Decisions, decisions. Does anybody have an idear if there are solutions for better cooling in this case that does make oc'ing an option?

I'm with you regarding OC and tweaking in general. Still it's interesting to me how this is the choice of chassis if one is looking OC (my expectations are very low here). What I feel is much more important when we speaking of tweaking is the ability to undervolt, undervolting the CPU and GPU might give you a little headroom for OC with resonable temps.
I'm not specifically addressing you, but the many posters before that seem disappointed that they can't cram water-cooling into to this fine piece of art.

My question to the community is what combination of hardware do you believe give you the best possibilities for undervolting, any specific manufacturer or other factors?

I have a quick question... I'm trying to decide on a pcie riser to use and I haven't kept up on the last 30 pages or so, but I'm hoping Dondan or someone can tell me why the A4 was going to use the cheaper Li Heat riser, but then went back to the 3M?

Dondan tested it and the quality seemed to be great, IIRC the bend radius of the riser was too large for the A4 and the 3M cable is more flexible.

I'm with you regarding OC and tweaking in general. Still it's interesting to me how this is the choice of chassis if one is looking OC (my expectations are very low here). What I feel is much more important when we speaking of tweaking is the ability to undervolt, undervolting the CPU and GPU might give you a little headroom for OC with resonable temps.
I'm not specifically addressing you, but the many posters before that seem disappointed that they can't cram water-cooling into to this fine piece of art.

My question to the community is what combination of hardware do you believe give you the best possibilities for undervolting, any specific manufacturer or other factors?

Because I'm secretly hoping for the holy grail: smallest case possible (for me because I want to set it up under TV and for on-the-go) with maximum performace.

Take it to a friend easilly and also cram out every frame for heavy purposes such as VR. That's the goal :).

I understand that big cases are much better for the performance, I think that one size bigger with the M1 is propable closer to achieve this. But if this can be managed with this case...that would be 'balls to the wall' :)

Because I'm secretly hoping for the holy grail: smallest case possible (for me because I want to set it up under TV and for on-the-go) with maximum performace.

Take it to a friend easilly and also cram out every frame for heavy purposes such as VR. That's the goal :).

I understand that big cases are much better for the performance, I think that one size bigger with the M1 is propable closer to achieve this. But if this can be managed with this case...that would be 'balls to the wall' :)

I hope the popularity for small cases pushes for more smaller water coolers and more efficient gpus and cpus. One day...

Still, it shouldn't be impossible with high end performance to make a functional oc'ed pc under 10 liters...its friggin 2016 for crying put loud.

so now the pickle for me is to go for formfactor or one case bigger and do some OC'ing. Descisions, descisions.

Last edited:
so now the pickle for me is to go for formfactor or one case bigger and do some OC'ing. Descisions, descisions.

Well, if you're feeling brave you could do an ITX GPU like the GTX 970 or R9 Nano and then water cool either the CPU or GPU with a thin 25mm thick 120mm rad and slim fan.

@Dondan, is there anything any of us here can do to help you launch the crowdfunding? Looking forward to supporting the campaign!

What you need to ask yourself is: Do I really need to overclock, or is stock good enough?

I'm coming from a gaming laptop (i7-3630QM, NV675M), so I fully expect even "good" desktop parts (i5-6600, GTX970 or its Pascal successor) at stock to be a significant improvement in terms of capabilities and speed. I neither crave nor am willing to pay for a uber-top-of-the-line system. I will, however, invest in a small case like this one for the following reasons:

1) Unlike a laptop (even a "desktop replacement"), it's way upgradeable.
2) At 7 litres, it's way smaller and less obtrusive than most other cases available.
3) Components are only going to get smaller and more capable, while generating less or similar amounts of heat than the current generation.

If you still want/need to overclock, may I humbly suggest you look at the custom cases featured in the forums on smallformfactor.net? Many are smaller than 20L, but should allow you more room than this case to add cooling.

What you need to ask yourself is: Do I really need to overclock, or is stock good enough?

I'm coming from a gaming laptop (i7-3630QM, NV675M), so I fully expect even "good" desktop parts (i5-6600, GTX970 or its Pascal successor) at stock to be a significant improvement in terms of capabilities and speed. I neither crave nor am willing to pay for a uber-top-of-the-line system. I will, however, invest in a small case like this one for the following reasons:

1) Unlike a laptop (even a "desktop replacement"), it's way upgradeable.
2) At 7 litres, it's way smaller and less obtrusive than most other cases available.
3) Components are only going to get smaller and more capable, while generating less or similar amounts of heat than the current generation.

If you still want/need to overclock, may I humbly suggest you look at the custom cases featured in the forums on smallformfactor.net? Many are smaller than 20L, but should allow you more room than this case to add cooling.

Actually I've been following this case if anyone is interested.
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...ct-nova-17-liters-of-5-slot-matx-goodness.19/

Like a comment on that link said, it looks a lot like the stock Intel cooler.

I would rather go with the Cryorig C7…

Ditto, but overall I'm happy to see more entrants in the ultra-low profile space. It only helps the Dan-A4 :p

Ditto, but overall I'm happy to see more entrants in the ultra-low profile space. It only helps the Dan-A4 :p

With companies coming out with more small form factor pcs, cases and other parts, I think sff will be more mainstream in the near future. Steam machine, Intel NUCs and products like the Corsair Bulldog are the step in the right direction.

So I have an idea for this case. What if you made a 30mm expansion or larger that would allow you to use larger CPU coolers like the Be Quiet Shadow Rock LP, Thermalright AXP-200 and 100, Noctua L9x65 and NH-L12, etc?

I think you could design something that would attach to the existing design with no modifications and that would look nice.

Here's a quick photoshop I did:

This is a 25mm expansion:

OYyN4EK.png

And this is 30mm:

nw6QOIF.png

I was also thinking it might look nice if it was slightly recessed and perforated but that's beyond my capability in photoshop.

Anyway, just an idea I had that I thought was neat and wanted to share. Feel free to use this design and idea - I'd be interested to see what Dan or anyone else could come up with. I won't be upset and I have no interest or capability in designing, manufacturing, and selling them as a third party.

So I have an idea for this case. What if you made a 30mm expansion or larger that would allow you to use larger CPU coolers like the Be Quiet Shadow Rock LP, Thermalright AXP-200 and 100, Noctua L9x65 and NH-L12, etc?

I think you could design something that would attach to the existing design with no modifications and that would look nice.

snip.

Oooorrrrrr... You could attach this and fit in full ATX motherboards and desktop PSUs! We need to think of something else to attach and sell case by parts

H1Dtsme.jpg

[sarcasm]

Last edited:
Oh and I'm not suggesting it should come like this - but be available separately as an option.

As a piece that simply replaces the original side panel, it offers little beyond increased headroom for the CPU cooler. The remainder of the extension is wasted space, and the air gap between the (extended) side panel & the PSU might lead to hot air from the CPU area feeding into the PSU intake.

Oh and I'm not suggesting it should come like this - but be available separately as an option.
IMO not many would want an add-on just for the sake of a bigger cooler, but I'm guessing some people would buy it. The problem probably comes down to money and not enough people wanting to buy it to justify a production run.

Any news about a4-sfx's release date??

We are already on Q1 and there isn´t any comunicate about it.

Any news about a4-sfx's release date??

We are already on Q1 and there isn´t any comunicate about it.

Patience young one. Seriously thoigh, we just have to wait. It's a long process but we're almost there. Sign up for updates on the official site to receive an email when more information comes out.

It will probably be pushed to Q2, the kick starter isn't even out yet. Can't wait though I need patience :p

Back