DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

The issue is that the GPU can't be any wider than two slots because it'll hit the side panel.

30926_xfx%20r9%20390x%20review%20-%20intro.jpg

The XFX is still a dual slot affair, thankfully. It is the increased width that worries me.

Can TFX format PSU fit into here? More precisely Seasonic SS-350TGMS?

2524750-b.jpg

No, it will not.

http://dan-cases.com

Aside from the 200 or so pages here in this thread, you will find specific information on the chassis at the above listed website.

Please do a modicum of investigation before requesting information. All the wondrous search tools available on the Internet, and today's society still insists upon asking to be spoon-fed the answers…

We all know about the 152 mm long AMD r9 nano...is it possible to put a water cooling radiator + a fan next to it in the dan a4-sfx to cool the cpu...? for ex: the silverstone Tundra Series+TD03-SLIM : 120x153x22 radiator + 120x120x15 fan? = 37mm total...?

Last edited:
Getting a little bit ahead of myself, but I was looking at how this might look on a desk...

It's not the best model, but the dimensions are correct.

JDNq0TG.png

You're correct, it's amazing, how small it actually appears. Here is a picture of my desk with an A4 paper as a placeholder for the case :D
img_20160131_211654-07rohu.jpg

Getting a little bit ahead of myself, but I was looking at how this might look on a desk...

It's not the best model, but the dimensions are correct.

JDNq0TG.png

Is that a 32 inch monitor? I'm planning on getting a 40 inch 4K monitor which will completely dwarf the case haha.

http://www.vortez.net/articles_file/30926_xfx%20r9%20390x%20review%20-%20intro.jpg

The XFX is still a dual slot affair, thankfully. It is the increased width that worries me.

Not going to be a problem. As you can see, the PCB is reference width, so the additional width of the shroud is about as much as the PEG connectors and cables need to bend, anyway.

1282478-3.jpg

How does kickstarter or indigogo work? Once it is up on the respective websites do we have to wait even longer for it to reach a "goal" or is it an actual order included with the goal. For example it needs 10,000 people to buy for it to go into production do we need to then wait even longer? Also, other than first quarter of 2016 (jan, feb, mar) is there any hard release dates yet? Been waiting for this thing since 2014!

How does kickstarter or indigogo work? Once it is up on the respective websites do we have to wait even longer for it to reach a "goal" or is it an actual order included with the goal. For example it needs 10,000 people to buy for it to go into production do we need to then wait even longer? Also, other than first quarter of 2016 (jan, feb, mar) is there any hard release dates yet? Been waiting for this thing since 2014!

You could probably just look at their FAQ to get an answer to this question.

In short, yes, you have to wait for quite some time. Here's a short rundown:

The idea is that Dan has a product and a prototype, but no money to buy the few hundred units he would need to order from LianLi to get a production run going.
So, a kickstarter campaign is started and run for a short amount of time (usually 30 days or so), which is set to a goal of a certain amount of money.
Now, people can support the campaign, so they basically promise that they will pay a set amount of money if enough other people support the campaign as well.
If the goal is reached, the money will be withdrawn from your bank account or credit card, and most of it will go to dondan, which he can then use to order all the cases.
After that, LianLi can start the production run and ship the cases either to Dan so he can do additional quality control and send them to you, or they ship the case directly to you like it's done with the NCASE M1.

It's 295 mm in length. On dan's site it says a max of:

• Complete card incl. bracket: 306mm
  • Without bracket: 295mm

Tight fit perhaps? ;-)

It's 295 mm in length. On dan's site it says a max of:

• Complete card incl. bracket: 306mm
  • Without bracket: 295mm

Tight fit perhaps? ;-)

Gigabyte's site says 296 mm, considering the case shouldn't bend at all, it will definitely be a tight fit at the very least.

I made a selection I would like to use in the case below.

What do you guys think. Maybe the GPU needs to be changed because of its length, but I am mostly concerned for the heat dissepation of the CPU, especially when overclocking it a bit which would be nice.

What do you guys think. Maybe the GPU needs to be changed because of its length, but I am mostly concerned for the heat dissepation of the CPU, especially when overclocking it a bit which would be nice.

With the nh-l9i can you do any overclocking? It might get too hot. That cooler seems good but only for normal cpu clock speeds

CPU: Are you going to be overclocking?
GPU: The gpu might be a really tight fit, so look at the sizes and maybe gamble? You said it's even longer with the bracket so maybe a different card?
CPU Cooler: I thought the Cryorig C7 was the better performer in terms of cooling. While the NH-L9i did poorly in this case.
SSD: I would go with the Samsung 950 Pro 500gb as it is faster and seems like it has a better price.

Here is my current part list:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Hitachi Travelstar 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Case: DAN Case A4-SFX

With this cpu I would like to overclock, if that's not a serous option I'm probably better of with a non-overclockable cpu, maybe even a different MB.

I'm going to change the cpu cooler, thanks for the advice.

With this cpu I would like to overclock, if that's not a serous option I'm probably better of with a non-overclockable cpu, maybe even a different MB.

I'm going to change the cpu cooler, thanks for the advice.

I wonder how to the temps will hold up with an oc. If we can get some tests on oc temps that would be great. For right now though, I doubt the temps will be able to stay under a desireable number.

I've already ordered all my parts aside from a cpu cooler, for an i7 4770k clocked at 3.5 what would be the best cooler for TDP. I was thinking about the Alpenföhn Silvretta - Flat CPU cooler but it might be hard getting one to the US. Now it's pretty much a waiting game (going to buy 2 cases since they are so awesome)

I've already ordered all my parts aside from a cpu cooler, for an i7 4770k clocked at 3.5 what would be the best cooler for TDP. I was thinking about the Alpenföhn Silvretta - Flat CPU cooler but it might be hard getting one to the US. Now it's pretty much a waiting game (going to buy 2 cases since they are so awesome)
Iirc, that cooler performs around the same as a NH-L9i.

Even if we use the best flat CPU cooler on the market, is overclocking a real option within this case for CPU's like the 6600K?

I'm not sure if anyone tested the C7 vs LP53. Note that the C7 has some compatibility issues.

What compatibility issues…? It looks like the C7 fits nearly every modern socket excepting the 2011-3 Narrow. The fan & heatsink are total Zero Interference units & the entire unit will fit in the A4 chassis with a scant 1mm to spare in clearance…

If anything, the Cryorig C7 is the perfect match for an A4 build…!

Still, under max load the C7 from Cryorig can't handle overclocked CPU's (at least not the 4770K) and goes into thermal throtteling: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/C7/6.html.

Is there a way to cool overclocked CPU's in the A4 at all? I think for many animportant factor to consider this case or the bigger M1 if max performance needs to be achieved. Don't get me wrong, form factor is balls to the wall in my opinion, but I do (as do many others) want to create an ITX machine that doesn't compromise to normal gaming rigs..

Still, under max load the C7 from Cryorig can't handle overclocked CPU's (at least not the 4770K) and goes into thermal throtteling: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/C7/6.html.

Is there a way to cool overclocked CPU's in the A4 at all? I think for many animportant factor to consider this case or the bigger M1 if max performance needs to be achieved. Don't get me wrong, form factor is balls to the wall in my opinion, but I do (as do many others) want to create an ITX machine that doesn't compromise to normal gaming rigs..

Maybe this case isn't for you.

For gaming, is it necessary to OC the cpu?

I like oc'ing to tweak everything out of the hardware (on reasonable levels), but ofcourse oc'ing isnt necessary for gaming per se. It does give me the choice to go for the m1 where I am able to oc, but I love this form factor way more :). Decisions, decisions. Does anybody have an idear if there are solutions for better cooling in this case that does make oc'ing an option?

What compatibility issues…? It looks like the C7 fits nearly every modern socket excepting the 2011-3 Narrow. The fan & heatsink are total Zero Interference units & the entire unit will fit in the A4 chassis with a scant 1mm to spare in clearance…

If anything, the Cryorig C7 is the perfect match for an A4 build…!
I've already read 2-3 reports of people having issues with different motherboards.

For myself, it was the backplate that was interfering with some components. This member posted on the same exact issue I had.
I installed today Cryorig C7 this mb. Backplate is little too big if you are using m.2 SSD and also there is circuit which is able to catch backplate. I did little modding and remove some plastic in that backplate.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/P3vGs

I like oc'ing to tweak everything out of the hardware (on reasonable levels), but ofcourse oc'ing isnt necessary for gaming per se. It does give me the choice to go for the m1 where I am able to oc, but I love this form factor way more :). Decisions, decisions. Does anybody have an idear if there are solutions for better cooling in this case that does make oc'ing an option?

If only there was a very slim water cooling solution.

I've already read 2-3 reports of people having issues with different motherboards.

For myself, it was the backplate that was interfering with some components. This member posted on the same exact issue I had.

What motherboard is that?

Back