DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

It performed a lot better than I thought it would. :cool: That being said, I was only a little worried with the temperature results somebody posted a link to because it was a ATX mid-tower case. Looks like this cpu cooler is the best bang per buck performance wise for this case. Thanks for posting your results Dondan! :)

With 100% it is louder and with 40% very very silent.

Last edited:
I don't think that you can compare them just based on the TDP, for example a xeon has more instruction sets, and synthetic tests heavily rely on those.

Another thing, you said lian-li created a shielded pci-e cable, have you got any with the new prototypes to test it out?

With 100% it is loader and with 40% very very silent.

In a perfect world, Mike @ SPCR would get an early Christmas present or two (perhaps three?) to test cooling capacity vs. stock fan noise level in a less subjective way.

I don't think that you can compare them just based on the TDP, for example a xeon has more instruction sets, and synthetic tests heavily rely on those.

Another thing, you said lian-li created a shielded pci-e cable, have you got any with the new prototypes to test it out?

I think you are right also the Xeon has Intel Hyperthreading. I found a review where the temp difference between a i7 3770K (also Ivybridge like the i5 3350P and Xeon 1230v2) with and without HT is 2°C. Also the generated heat of e.g. 10x CPUs out of the same series could be completly different. So I think adding 3-6°C to the 51°C value of the C7 is more realistic. But it will not the fact that currently the C7 is the best cooler under the height of 50mm.

Yes I got the new riser. The quality is nice and also the performance is perfect, but the cables are too thick. 3M = 2 x 0,75mm vs. LianLi 2 x 1,5mm. A solution could be to route one string over the gpu side and the othr over the motherboard side. But figure this out will take time. So my current plan is to go with 3M. I made a new quote request on 3M for 1000-1500 units. Maybe I reach on this way the price of the LianLi one.

Super exciting test, glad to see such positive results!

Now I just need to get my hands on a C7 of my own!

Dondan, do you have an opinion of C7 vs L9i?

Last edited:
I've been following this thread for a while now and I'm so superexcited!!
I' really want this case, and I want it NOW! now now now now !

Where can I get it? When? I'm willing to offer my ballsack!

No just kiddin. I really see this case in my next 6600k/gtx 970 build but I the wait for the case is killing me. Any news of distributor in Europe yet? Otherwise I have som contacts within distribution that could help you out (in Sweden).

Is it possible to get hold of one copy right now? Can I help you out with testing?
Can I drive to Germany and personally get it? :)

Final words... I want it.. NOW!

Just chill :) i guess everyone on this thread wants this ASAP but Dondan still has to do some stuff until it is released. I found this case in january and am still waiting for it... it makes you so happy to see progress :D

So I decided to compare my current cooling solution (U9B-SE2 with both fans on ULNA's on a 3570K) to the C7 since dondan just tested it.

LOL

I idle around 45C, load maxed out (8K blend) at 80C.

I'm certain it's quieter than the C7 even at 40% speed, but the temperature results are laughable by comparison.

Last edited:
So I decided to compare my current cooling solution (U9B-SE2 with both fans on ULNA's on a 3570K) to the C7 since dondan just tested it.

LOL

I idle around 45C, load maxed out (8K blend) at 80C.

I'm certain it's quieter than the C7 even at 40% speed, but the temperature results are laughable by comparison.

I don't think that the cooler is the entire problem here though.

I have the same Noctua cooler on my "portable" workstation which has an xeon v3 4c/8t (basically a stock i7-4770) which tops out at 64C :rolleyes:

I don't think that the cooler is the entire problem here though.

I have the same Noctua cooler on my "portable" workstation which has an xeon v3 4c/8t (basically a stock i7-4770) which tops out at 64C :rolleyes:

It's definitely up to how I've got it set up, I think.

If I take out my 980 you can't hear the PC at all (Idle or load) because I've got the fans turned down so low.

When I was still using a 750ti with an alpenfohn peter II with no fans the PC was dead silent 100% of the time.

Edit:
I didn't mean to make it seem like I was blaming the cooler, I was just testing my current setup vs dondan's results to see how it roughly compared. (And kind of what to expect when I get my hands on a C7)

It's definitely up to how I've got it set up, I think.

If I take out my 980 you can't hear the PC at all (Idle or load) because I've got the fans turned down so low.

When I was still using a 750ti with an alpenfohn peter II with no fans the PC was dead silent 100% of the time.

Edit:
I didn't mean to make it seem like I was blaming the cooler, I was just testing my current setup vs dondan's results to see how it roughly compared. (And kind of what to expect when I get my hands on a C7)

I would love it if you could make a small comparison between the two coolers when you get the chance!

I love the noctua one but size does matter, especially in these parts of the hardest forum around:cool:

I'll definitely do a comparison, and I'll make sure to put the stock fans at their normal speed (No ULNA/ splitter/ BIOS changes.)

I'm looking forward to being able to test~

Found a russian review of the C7!

Looks to be on par with the L9ix65.

also their measured noise levels look acceptable to me (at 1200rpm or less :p):

cryorig_c7_21_noise.jpg

Edit:

Decided to run the same test they did, and for the sake of noise comparison I stuck my mic inside my case while it was running.
tPdwS7O.jpg

Got much hotter much faster (95C :eek:), I'd turn up the fan speed if I wasn't planning on getting the C7 soon, and if I literally ever had this kind of load outside of stress testing. 22 minutes for my test to finish, 9 passes 5120mb of memory.

Last edited:
From the Russian page linked, it looks like the thermal performance of the C7 is similar to the Noctua L9x65 at similar RPMs. There is no direct noise comparison with the Noctua, however, so it's difficult to compare acoustic efficiency.

Too bad about that proprietary fan. Would also be nice to see a black low profile cooler. Just black, with black fan and standard mounting.

Too bad about that proprietary fan. Would also be nice to see a black low profile cooler. Just black, with black fan and standard mounting.
This is my biggest issue with it since stock fans usually suck. I mentioned something similar and another member here said you could always use zip-ties for mounting.

After reading the reviews for the C7 linked recently on this thread and trying to compare it to data from other of Dan's tested heatsinks, I have come to the inescapable conclusion that the vast majority of cooler reviews are practically useless. Here's why:

1) Almost nobody tells you what the "stock" TDP of the processor is.
2) If they are running overclocked (and a surprising number of reviewers do), you have *no* idea how many watts the processor is using.
3) Not all reviewers tell you what fan speed(s) they used. I bet not many actually know this information ("I just used the default fan profile. Hur."). They typically also report results for only one fan speed rather than several.
4) Not everyone takes a sound measurement. If they do, they take it at different distances from the fan.
5) They rarely compare results to other coolers in any meaningful way,

TL;DR: Cooler reviews are almost always qualitative rather than quantitative, not directly comparable to each other, impossible to reproduce and are therefore practically worthless. Buy whichever cooler gets a decent review and spend your valuable time on other things.

The funkykit one was particularly... unenlightening. He needs an editor too.

SPCR does good cooler reviews.

As i said in previous posts im thinking of using ASUS Maximus Impact VIII and since the sata ports are a little strange i found a way to pass the sata cables between the rams and pci express slot, using SilverStone low profile Sata cables (CP11). There are two versions 50cm and 30cm and since im thinking of buying them now while i wait for the case is it possible to know this length:

r0t6yc.png

Is it possible to use only 30cm one?

PS:Sorry for the bad drawing skills :p

A fair conclusion, I think.

Personally I'm just dying waiting for the cooler so any info I get I'm excited about.

Whenever I actually do get my hands on one I'll be as scientific as I can.
Dondan's review was good.

@illram

SPCR is great, I agree.

I registered just to post here. I'd been on a search for the smallest Mini-ITX case that still allowed for a non-proprietary SFX PSU, a full-length graphics card, 2 drives and non-ridiculous placement of components, that didn't look like a garbage can. I was SO glad to find this.

The closest I'd come was the SG13 and the M1 - not bad choices, but the SG13 looks cheap and has terrible aesthetics, also what's the point of wasting space on a full ATX PSU you won't need, and it still comes in at 11.5 liters. The M1 is beautiful, but a bit too big at 14 liters. I mean "big" is relative here, but I really wanted as minimalist as possible without sacrificing anything essential.

And I think you've done it! It's so simple and yet it hasn't been done yet. Other cases that allow for the exact same functionality are usually at least 10-11 liters and are of the slate design, like the Node 202, which is not as efficient, and they still look ugly. You've done something amazing here - 7.5 liters. That means it's actually truly portable. About as big as a big laptop, a 14" diagonal footprint, and it can house full-sized high-end components. I can throw it in my suitcase or even a backpack and that's pretty amazing. That's important to me as I travel a lot. I actually don't think a Mini-ITX case can be smaller. It's as if we took a motherboard, a PSU and a graphics card and just put them next to each other and then materialized an enclosure around them. No need for extra fans when components are so well-positioned and close to the outside.

I have subscribed to Dan's mail list and I can't wait to get an email about the case, I will order it immediately. I sincerely hope people like Linus from LinusTechTips does a review on it, and that the case gets some good publicity. Linus LOVES small Mini-ITX cases and getting as much non-compromised components as possible in as little space as possible. He recently did a super high-end build in an SG13. And that's one of the most frequented YouTube tech review channels. I'm sure he will be psyched to review this case when it comes out which will give you 200,000 or so eyeballs. We just have to get him to review the case if he doesn't already know about it. If Dan can't do it alone, we can mount a campaign and get everyone from this forum to request it. I really want this case to be successful and for him to make money and grow his business and a have a whole line of products. Because I've been searching for something like this for a long time, and I'm tired of seeing stupid drawbacks and deal-breakers and unnecessary space wasters. It's been a dream to have my actual home high-end desktop PC be truly portable, and this case will give me that. So I can't wait! Good luck!

As i said in previous posts im thinking of using ASUS Maximus Impact VIII and since the sata ports are a little strange

No M.2?

Edit: there is no M.2, just U.2

Then you can go for an ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming... seems to be better fitted.

As i said in previous posts im thinking of using ASUS Maximus Impact VIII and since the sata ports are a little strange i found a way to pass the sata cables between the rams and pci express slot, using SilverStone low profile Sata cables (CP11). There are two versions 50cm and 30cm and since im thinking of buying them now while i wait for the case is it possible to know this length:

r0t6yc.png

Is it possible to use only 30cm one?

PS:Sorry for the bad drawing skills :p

From the motherboard edge to the front it is around 15cm and then like 20 up and around to the front mounting location so i doubt that the 30cm will be enough. You can however use the drive bays below the PSU, the cables will be long enough for that. Otherwise, the 50cm cables shouldn't be a huge PITA because you can hide them in the front area where the drive is.

No M.2?

Edit: there is no M.2, just U.2

Then you can go for an ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming... seems to be better fitted.

I read that m2 suffers a little with thermal throttling and since i can fit 2 2.5" SSD for me is more than enough. Also having U.2 is good if the technology is used in the future seems more promising than m.2. I've looked at a lot of motherboards there are in the market and impact seems to be the best one, also the expensiest XD

From the motherboard edge to the front it is around 15cm and then like 20 up and around to the front mounting location so i doubt that the 30cm will be enough. You can however use the drive bays below the PSU, the cables will be long enough for that. Otherwise, the 50cm cables shouldn't be a huge PITA because you can hide them in the front area where the drive is.

Since i will use a SFX-L psu i can only fit one 2.5" drive bellow the psu and thats why i was thinking about using also the front slot to have 2 drives. Btw great advice on putting the rest of the cable in front of the case. Probably i will get 1 30cm for the slot bellow psu and 50 for the slot in the front panel :)

Last edited:

Since i will use a SFX-L psu i can only fit one 2.5" drive bellow the psu and thats why i was thinking about using also the front slot to have 2 drives. Btw great advice on putting the rest of the cable in front of the case. Probably i will get 1 30cm for the slot bellow psu and 50 for the slot in the front panel :)

0MNhlwS.jpg

Hope Dan will excuse my attempt at a SW model of his case. Those cutouts at the front are for routing SATA cables I assume or something else?

Hope Dan will excuse my attempt at a SW model of his case. Those cutouts at the front are for routing SATA cables I assume or something else?

You are totally right if you can pass both psu and sata there will make case look much cleaner and 2 30cm cables will be more than enough. Thank you so much :D

I read that m2 suffers a little with thermal throttling and since i can fit 2 2.5" SSD for me is more than enough. Also having U.2 is good if the technology is used in the future seems more promising than m.2. I've looked at a lot of motherboards there are in the market and impact seems to be the best one, also the expensiest XD

If you are going with the new Asus Maximus VIII Impact mini ITX board, with onboard U.2, then why not go for one of the U.2 drives from Intel (750 series)…?!? It is a 2.5" SSD that is 15mm thick, so you could place it in either the location below the PSU or the location behind the front panel. The U.2 specific cable that comes with it should reach either location.

The front cut out is for routing Graphic Card power (from bottom to top cut out).

I see no issue if you wanna route your sata cable. I think it is more appropriate to have your SSD/HDD sata connector facing bottom, so that the sata can be routed from the bottom cut out to the connector more easily.

If you are going with the new Asus Maximus VIII Impact mini ITX board, with onboard U.2, then why not go for one of the U.2 drives from Intel (750 series)…?!? It is a 2.5" SSD that is 15mm thick, so you could place it in either the location below the PSU or the location behind the front panel. The U.2 specific cable that comes with it should reach either location.

I would to get one but right now they are a little bit expensive im waiting for other brands to get in the market or 750 series drop price

Depending on how zen does I might get the impact VIII, I love everything but the price and lack of M.2.

The front cut out is for routing Graphic Card power (from bottom to top cut out).

I see no issue if you wanna route your sata cable. I think it is more appropriate to have your SSD/HDD sata connector facing bottom, so that the sata can be routed from the bottom cut out to the connector more easily.

Why would you run your GPU power that way, you would only have to run it back down to the PSU connection. Now, I can see where one might go from the PSU thru the bottom, loop the GPU power cable up & back down in the front area, then back out the bottom slot to connect with the GPU itself; basically using the front area as a cable hiding spot…

I would to get one but right now they are a little bit expensive im waiting for other brands to get in the market or 750 series drop price

Yeah, the three Intel 750 series models out right now are pricy; the best GB per $$ comes in with the 1.2TB model at about 870 bucks on sale from Newegg…

Depending on how zen does I might get the impact VIII, I love everything but the price and lack of M.2.

Zen…? Wait, is that the next-gen from ATi (AMD)…? I know nVidia is Pascal…

I was REALLY upset with Asus for a bit there with the M8I & no M.2, but now I am sort of okay with it. I DO want to see more 2.5" PCIe SSDs available, to bring the cost down. I am okay with it now because I can see the 2.5" drives having less issues with thermal throttling than the M.2 form factor models…

EKWB makes a water block for the PCIe slot versions of the Intel 750 series drives, they really should do a water block for the 2.5" model as well. Get a M8I with the (forthcoming) EK mono block, a RAM block, the (theoretical) 2.5" SSD water block & a full-length GPU water block; you have your entire compute system under water…!

Last edited:
Zen…? Wait, is that the next-gen from ATi (AMD)…? I know nVidia is Pascal…

I was REALLY upset with Asus for a bit there with the M8I & no M.2, but now I am sort of okay with it. I DO want to see more 2.5" PCIe SSDs available, to bring the cost down. I am okay with it now because I can see the 2.5" drives having less issues with thermal throttling than the M.2 form factor models…

EKWB makes a water block for the PCIe slot versions of the Intel 750 series drives, they really should do a water block for the 2.5" model as well. Get a M8I with the (forthcoming) EK mono block, a RAM block, the (theoretical) 2.5" SSD water block & a full-length GPU water block; you have your entire compute system under water…!

Zen is AMD's upcoming CPU architecture.

If it performs better than my 3570K and the TDP isn't too high, I'll jump on it, otherwise I'll get a i5 6600 or 6600T.

Back