DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

About the demciflex filters, it seems to me that they are magnetic, however the case (aluminium) is not. how is that supposed to work? ;)

About the demciflex filters, it seems to me that they are magnetic, however the case (aluminium) is not. how is that supposed to work? ;)

Demiflex include magnetic adhesive tape with the filters, nice ones too, pre cut strips, not that thin shitty stuff.

Aluminum is non-ferrous, and therefore not magnetic, so you need to have a magnetic strip to put on the case like the demiflex filters include.

I am loving this case! And very surprised it exists.
Dan, could you contact me when you get a minute to breath.

Thanks

Dondan, any chance of fitting something like MSI 390 8G in there. I saw on the website that VGA is 5mm (backplate) + 40mm (card).
Is there a chance to fit 5mm+46mm card? (what are the tolerances?)

Dondan, any chance of fitting something like MSI 390 8G in there. I saw on the website that VGA is 5mm (backplate) + 40mm (card).
Is there a chance to fit 5mm+46mm card? (what are the tolerances?)

As seen from the pics, there's very little space btw the end of the second slot and the side panel, so it might not support 2.5 slots card

Sorry a normal 2 slot is 38mm thin, the A4-SFX supports max 40mm.Maybe if you bend the card a bit backwards 43mm is possible but not more.

Anyone knows if this cooler from CoolChip Technologies is going to come out?
http://images.anandtech.com/doci/8872/2 - Heatsink.jpg
Im not sure but i have a feeling that they left it only as a prototype and i think ive read somewhere that now coolermaster have the rights to it.

I also read that CM owns the rights to it.
Afaik it's not a consumer product yet, plus the version in your link looks like it would be too tall for the dan-A4, I think.

@dondan: what is the price and when will it be selling?

I literally just answered this on the last page yesterday, and it's in the OP FAQ.

dondan - First post said:
How much will it cost?
Around $200-230 + shipping + tax (depending on where you are located)

Please read the thread, people.

What does it mean that the case is going to be sold through a distributor in Europe?

Does that mean europeans will not participate in the crowdfunding campaign but need to wait for a distributor to start selling the A4? Will it be more expensive to buy from a distributor as opposed to directly from dondan?

The electronical waste rules in Europe are very hard. I have to register in every European country and this could be very expansive. So I will be only able to sell the case in Germany for Europe. For this reason I try to get a big web shop that is able to sell in every European country. The web shop could get a better price, because they must take a high number of cases. So the price will be nearly the same. The cases will be available in the web shop in the same time the other cases ships to costumers out of Europe.

These electronic waste rules are interesting–– you're not selling any electronics, just something to put them in... You could put computer components in a cardboard box, does that need to be regulated for electronic waste?

(And I know you've done your research and are doing things absolutely the right way! I'm just curious about the rationality behind the EU law)

So I will be only able to sell the case in Germany for Europe. For this reason I try to get a big web shop that is able to sell in every European country. The web shop could get a better price, because they must take a high number of cases. So the price will be nearly the same. The cases will be available in the web shop in the same time the other cases ships to costumers out of Europe.

Do you have a seller (web shop) lined up?
And will we need to order and pay them ( the seller) before the cases are made or how will that work?

Last edited:
These electronic waste rules are interesting–– you're not selling any electronics, just something to put them in... You could put computer components in a cardboard box, does that need to be regulated for electronic waste?

Parts like the PCIe riser, USB connectors, power switch, power cable, etc. are probably all considered "electronics".

It sounds strange to me that you would have to register it separately in every European country. Isn't the point of EU to get rid of things like that. But I guess I can't argue if that is the case.

I'm ignorant and also afraid it's already been answered upthread, but how does (did) then NCASE handle this strict electronic waste rules in Europe and registration in each country as they sell M1 to customers in Europe as well?

The most european countrys have an electronical waste agency. There you must register your company and you must document how many tons do you ship in the countrys. Every computercase that includes cables need to be register. Otherwise it could be, that your company has to pay high penalties or you get an import ban. The last instance in the chain of the the selling process must be registered and if you are an european reseller you ave to register in your own country.

As for water cooling, I've been thinking about it and I believe the only way to do it would be to have a mini-ITX sized GPU (like the R9 Nano or GTX 970 mini) and then directly behind the PSU you could place a 25mm thick 120mm rad + slim fan. You then could probably cram the pump and res below the rad and GPU along the bottom of the case.

YES! I would love to see a guide on this:)

From what I can gather the drive bay is max 15mm bottom and 15mm top.
Would it be possible to add/or have space to drill holes so I can mount 2x 7mm drives bottom and 2x 7mm drives top?
(I will be using a SFX-L psu, but need 3 drives, and can use all 7mm drives, so I am asking if it is possible, or if the drive bay have some very strange design that makes it impossible; so I have to build my own to fit inside there instead.)

The front drive mountpoint, is it possible to remove this drive without a screwdriver, and swap it out, without taking apart the entire thing?

(I am sorry, I use many different OS', and each of them is on a separate drive.)

It is listed 52mm max height on memory sticks.
The G.Skill TridentX series is 54mm, any way for those to fit in somehow?
Or are there any lower 2666mhz+ ram that I do not know about?

I'm ignorant and also afraid it's already been answered upthread, but how does (did) then NCASE handle this strict electronic waste rules in Europe and registration in each country as they sell M1 to customers in Europe as well?

IIRC Ncase got around it by being based in the USA.

Well, it's a little ambiguous TBH. The regulations are regarding goods imported and placed "on the market" in the EU. We don't have any kind of physical, commercial, or legal presence anywhere in the EU. If someone is in the EU and they order from us, we'll ship to them, but they pay the import duty and so are the importer of record. This implies that they would be responsible for ensuring the goods are compliant with local regulations. I doubt this is enforced on an individual basis however, and indeed I don't believe we've had any reports of such.

IIRC Ncase got around it by being based in the USA.

Sorry, but this is wrong every company that sell electronical components have to register. Lian Li is not located in germany, but they are registered.

If a reseller or manufracture ships their products to europe, they are responsible that the product comply all lawes, not the costumer.

Every reseller have to decide this by his own because it doesn't make sense to register if you ship only 10 cases each year in this country. And I think also the agencies will ignore such small counts. But if not the penalties could be extremly high.

Here you can see all information (in german): http://www.elektrogesetz.de/rollen/#rollen_importeure

Last edited:
@Dondan,

Can I say that the case will be shipped out from Taiwan (like Ncase) instead of German to Indigogo/kickstarter backers.

WEEE seems to be implemented differently in different EU countries. In the UK, it is sufficient to register with a WEEE DTS (e.g.), who then handle all WEEE responsibilities in your place.
The problem for Dan is that every country has their own specific implementation of WEEE, which only applies within that country. Which means that if he wants to produce in Germany and ship to the UK, he must be registered for WEEE compliance in the UK. Similarly for every other country to ship to. This is unlike sales tax which is harmonised across the EU.
Technically, everyone selling or reselling in the EU needs to do this registration for cross-border shipping. It doesn't seem to be a well-known, even moreso on the consumer side (I had no idea until recently that a reseller or producer are required to provide me a disposal method for electronic waste).

The case and website look great dondan! I've been anxiously waiting since day one, but I appreciate the time and dedication you put into delivering an exceptional product.

Hi Dondon,
Can anyone you tell me what the distance from the front inner panel to the edge of the motherboard?

Thanks!

Looking at pictures it seems to be the same or less distance than there is in the Ncase, so maybe 3-7mm?

EditL

"Front inner panel" I misread, I thought you were asking about the edge of the PSU.

Probably 133-140mm.

Last edited:
I don't know exactly what distance you mean but for distance between motherboard and the plate it's mounted to is the standard is 7mm indeed (MB standoff height)

WEEE seems to be implemented differently in different EU countries. In the UK, it is sufficient to register with a WEEE DTS (e.g.), who then handle all WEEE responsibilities in your place.
The problem for Dan is that every country has their own specific implementation of WEEE, which only applies within that country. Which means that if he wants to produce in Germany and ship to the UK, he must be registered for WEEE compliance in the UK. Similarly for every other country to ship to. This is unlike sales tax which is harmonised across the EU.
Technically, everyone selling or reselling in the EU needs to do this registration for cross-border shipping. It doesn't seem to be a well-known, even moreso on the consumer side (I had no idea until recently that a reseller or producer are required to provide me a disposal method for electronic waste).

Madness. The EU needs another constitutional convention!

Sorry I don't get what distance you mean.

Sorry, I should've been more clear. I would like to put a 120mm/140mm radiator in place of the PSU. What's the widest radiator I can use before hitting the motherboard?

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Jesse

Sorry, I should've been more clear. I would like to put a 120mm/140mm radiator in place of the PSU. What's the widest radiator I can use before hitting the motherboard?

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Jesse

The SFX-L PSU is 125x130mm wide, so 120mm is probably the widest radiator you'll be able to fit in place of the PSU. If you use an ITX length GPU you could fit a slim (25mm thick) 120mm radiator behind the PSU with a slim fan.

Is this case made for radiators?

No! But that doesn't mean it isn't possible, just that there might not be mounts for them where you might be able to place them.

Back