DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

The temperatures aren't bad at all..

Prime95 stress the CPU a lot.

With this test you can confirm that Dan A4 SFX can handle this socket with decent temperatures.

Gaming and rendering temperatures will be easily good at ~65C.

Or even lower if you check the 3D Mark results.

Last edited:
Wow, Noctua's fan holds its ground well! Interested about that Thermalright fan now.

Very cool! Combine this with a nice Quadro K6000 and you've got yourself the most expensive SFF build in history. On the flip-side, you also get an extremely nice semi-mobile workstation for CAD-modelling.

I'm very surprised by the good performance of the A9x14, those are good news. What's the total height of the CPU cooling solution from the PCB of the board?

Oh and as you mention external watercooling: Does the A4 actually have stock options for external watercooling? Would there even be space for that?

There were multiple pages of discussions about this issue and the current design.

The reason the M1 doesn't have the same problem with sagging panels is because there are pushpins supporting all four corners/sides of the panel. Due to space constraints, the same is not true for the A4. Accordingly, the unsupported side of the panel will sag.

The design couldn't accommodate pushpins on all sides without increasing in size. Since Dondan didn't want to redesign the case or increase it's size, he needed another solution to address the sagging panel issue. That solution is the bent panel you see here.

Thanks for clarifying it.

Thanks for showing the pics of the X99 build Dondan. I guess this has also been discussed previously, but is there space to use use those angled SATA ports on the board, or is the PSU too close?

@iFreilicht. No. There are two ways doing it: Modding the case or using a FuryX with EK Cooler and Sigle-Slot bracket and in the other slot you put this: Link
I will measure the total height.

Well you're not really limited to the Fury X, there are a few other cards with single slot I/O, but I see your point.

I guess there's enough space above the mainboard I/O cutout to get tubing through, maybe even quick disconnects.
Personally, I don't see why you'd invest money in such a small case and then go for external watercooling, but some people would surely want to do it, so it's nice to know it's at least doable.

Personally, I don't see why you'd invest money in such a small case and then go for external watercooling, but some people would surely want to do it, so it's nice to know it's at least doable.

A radiator outside, with quick disconnects, and when disconnecting the secondary internal "backup" air cooling solution kicks in. ;)

On the second picture it looks like the closest RAM stick is being pushed by the zip ties. Obviously the tests still ran fine, although I don't think I'd want to leave it like that for an extended period.

Wait a second, I can ignore someone and won't see a single of their posts? I just thought that blocked them from PMing me!
You won't see their post. If an individual not on your ignore list quotes them you'll see in in that other persons post.

Excellent work Dondan!

Do you have plans to try out the Cryorig C7 when it's available, or is that not in the cards?

If it isn't I'll probably be getting one and testing it in my Ncase, and return it if it's not up to par. (and of course post results here)

Those are great temps. Hopefully that means the i7-6700k can get a modest overclock on the same cooler and run comfortably inside this case.

The Dynatron T318 fits only on an narrow ilm 2011-3 socket and non on 1151. So it is impossible to cool a 6700k with this heatsink.

Maybe the Cryorig c7 will be the best cpu cooler for Skylake inside an Dan A4 SFX..

The PCB where the Slot is soldered on does not fit. Because there is no space to bend the cable upwards.

Features:
Dimensions: 114mm x 200mm x 318mm, 7,25L

Hi Dondan, congrats on the magnificent design! But is it possible to skim it a little bit? I'm thinking at the 200 mm. Could be, say 195 or 197 mm ? Because then it could fit in a Ryanair additional hand luggage (that are 350x200x200)

Hi Dondan, congrats on the magnificent design! But is it possible to skim it a little bit? I'm thinking at the 200 mm. Could be, say 195 or 197 mm ? Because then it could fit in a Ryanair additional hand luggage (that are 350x200x200)

Seriously....lmao...smh

Use a hand planer and trimm the top and bottom panels by 1mm.

Sorry 200mm is the height without including the feeds! With feeds the size is:206,2mm

You need to know that you have to add the packaging and styrofoam security bouncer. So the package is 370x170x255.

This is an easy way to use an external watercooling AIO like the Corsaier h110i with the Asrock X99e ITX in the DAN A4-SFX. without modding. Don't use the I/O bracket and use the free area for passing the tubes.

asrockousgu.jpg

This is an easy way to use an external watercooling AIO like the Corsaier h110i with the Asrock X99e ITX in the DAN A4-SFX. without modding. Don't use the I/O bracket and use the free area for passing the tubes.

Or for a cleaner look, two holes could be made in the I/O bracket as well. :)

How'd you get the tubing through then? perhaps 2 slotted cut outs?

Yup, something like the same cutouts as the PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse openings. Done with proper drill bit I think it's possible to get tubing right through it.

Back