DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

I understand the excitement about the case, but I don't understand this nonsense about "how about version 2, 3, 4 5, 6....when the version 1 isn't even released?!
...smh.

Yeah, all I care about is version 1. I just hope I react fast enough when it becomes available so I can have one in the first shipment. :D

Stainless steel can have a really nice finish and great premium look. Plus, when you carry the case around often, it is the more practical material because it is less vulnerable to scratches. The thin steel you find in budget cases, that's really cheapo material.

Agree. Look at the Nova prototype, it's really nice looking. A Nova inspired A4 steel case certainly wouldn't be wrong, although a little heavier I guess.

As well as the "default" A4, there's also that steambox design, and I'm pretty sure he said he wanted to do something along the lines of a thin-ITX uSFF case... :p

I think talking about version 2,3 or so on is too early. So if you wait for further versions it could be that we don't get the first version fundet and there will never be further versions.
So I can only beg you to don't wait.

Depending on the feedback of the costumers, it could be that we need no real changes for further versions, so waiting can result in only waiting longer for the own A4-SFX. (E.g. I will never release a two port USB I/O for the A4)

Furthermore I have some ideas for other real cool itx cases that are completely different as any other product you could currently buy, that I want to realize.

Last edited:
As well as the "default" A4, there's also that steambox design, and I'm pretty sure he said he wanted to do something along the lines of a thin-ITX uSFF case... :p

I know that QinX is making a ultra small 3L or so case, but it would be nice to have an air-cooled version, but with greater support for various gpus. There's the Alienware alpha (860m) and zotac en970 (hasn't come out yet - also has a weak cpu), but you are restricted greatly in upgradeability. Gigabyte Brix 760 while amazing concept, was a terrible implementation as it sounded like a blow-dryer when gaming and had throttling issues.

Last edited:
Perfect answer Dan :D

We need to focus in this current project, making it possible..

..So u can continue making new incredible cases!

Been here since page 4, fervently checking this thread, waiting patiently to do my next build so that I can do it in the A4.

Just stopping back in to say congrats to dondan for the work he's done, and continues to do. You're so close! Can't wait to see the pro pics and the website, and I will absolutely be backing the crowdfunding phase.

There's the Alienware alpha (860m) and zotac en970 (hasn't come out yet - also has a weak cpu), but you are restricted greatly in upgradeability. Gigabyte Brix 760 while amazing concept, was a terrible implementation as it sounded like a blow-dryer when gaming and had throttling issues.

Don't ever think of buying those bullpoops, I had Zotac EN860 which is almost identical to en970. At first I was completely happy with it, but it lasted only 4 months of heavy gaming and then its GPU melted from overheating. And ordering a new gpu chip from China and repairing would cost me half of its price, for it to just last another 4 months... Forums were filled with complains of high gpu temperatures, it seems zotac just crammed all the things together not giving a heck on cooling management. I thought f* that and decided to buy normal ITX gaming PC.

Last edited:
One question, what's the ETA???
(why does it take long to release this case? budget issue?)

Anyway one thing I don't like about the case is the length cos its designed to fit GTX980, and not everyone wants to use super long high-end GPU in ITX case.
Personally I think this case would be much better if it was bit shorter in depth. Obviously maximum supported GPU length will be reduced(but you can still use GTX970 Mini, R9 Nano etc) and can't use SFX-L PSU but the overall case size/volume would be smaller too oc.
My main reason for using ITX case is the small size cos that comes before anything else.

Been here since page 4, fervently checking this thread, waiting patiently to do my next build so that I can do it in the A4.
Holy crap, you've been here for 120 pages longer than me. I've gotta let that sink in. I feel like the bright-eyed little kid in the room who is seeing everything for the first time and who squeals in delight at any new progress. Meanwhile the seasoned elders of this thread look on stoically, having braved the long wait up until now by mastering the art of patience. Occasionally they indulge themselves by engaging their fellow sff enthusiasts in conversation, but they take care not to get too swept up in the thrill of news lest they be driven mad with desire for this tiny computer case. Instead they keep themselves occupied, moving on with their lives but staying ever vigilant for the day when the crowdfunding campaign shall begin, ushering in a new era of gaming.

But hopefully I still got in early enough to be considered a hipster by the time it launches. "Oh, my case is the Dan A4, you've probably never heard of it. I helped crowd fund it, I liked it before it was cool..." It's already cool though, so I might have to leave off that last part.

Anyway, can't wait for the pics!

Last edited:

Anyway one thing I don't like about the case is the length cos its designed to fit GTX980, and not everyone wants to use super long high-end GPU in ITX case.
Personally I think this case would be much better if it was bit shorter in depth. Obviously maximum supported GPU length will be reduced(but you can still use GTX970 Mini, R9 Nano etc) and can't use SFX-L PSU but the overall case size/volume would be smaller too oc.
My main reason for using ITX case is the small size cos that comes before anything else.

Many itx cases could be smaller if they didn't want to support longer graphics cards. With HBM memory now allowing AMD significantly smaller PCBs, Nvidia will likely follow next year when they also get access to HBM2.

Some problems remains though. Even if the card is short, the cooler might still be long. The R9 Fury Nano is very short though, and packs a punch. But is hardly silent, I guess. I think the long flagship cards are going nowhere.

For the A4, you could put the PSU under the mobo/gpu. Two choices there; flat or standing PSU. Either way, you could shorten the case significantly then. It gets a bit taller instead. This is all a packing optimisation problem of components, with some additional consideration of airflow.

Right now I think the A4 is optimally designed spacewise, when taking into account long graphics cards. There is no additional fan underneath or above to help the warm air rising, but maybe it's not needed. The case will suffer noise and dust wise though. Putting demciflex filters on it might cook everything, knowing the restriction of airflow those filters impose.

Maybe some people don't want to use standard length high-end GPUs, but I'd say that the vast majority do.

If you want to go with an ITX length GPU for high end gaming, you've realistically got two choices: a short GTX 970 or a R9 Nano, which isn't even out yet.

Maybe some people don't want to use standard length high-end GPUs, but I'd say that the vast majority do.

If you want to go with an ITX length GPU for high end gaming, you've realistically got two choices: a short GTX 970 or a R9 Nano, which isn't even out yet.

Well you can see quite a lot of builds with the 750Ti and even the 960 pop up, so if size is your main concern, it's not like you don't have a few options in that regard. But yeah, if you want a good middle ground between size and performance, you'll have to use a case that supports very long GPUs.

@gintama7888 I'm working on it! :D

Well lets use Silverstone SG13/RVZ01 cases for an example since they are probably one of the most popular current ITX gaming cases. Do you think more than 50% of all SG13/RVZ01 owners use GTX980, 980Ti, Titan?
I choose Lian Li PC-TU100(supports 195mm GPU, enough for GTX970 Mini, R9 Fury X) over SG13 cos additional GPU space in SG13 would have been a total waste for me.

If you do the rough math on size/volume reduction on SG13/Dan A4 if they only supported smaller GPU(cos looks like some people are too stupid to understand the difference).
i.e. they can support 267mm(10.5") atm, but lets reduce the supported GPU length 200mm(you'll be still able to fit R9 Fury X in SG13).
standard SG13 = 222 x 181 x 285 = 11.5lt
standard Dan A4 = 114 x 200 x 318 = 7.25lt
new SG13 = 222 x 181 x 218 = 8.76lt (~30% smaller, you can also reduce the height on SG13 so it only supports SFX PSU)
new Dan A4 = 114 x 200 x 251 = 5.72lt (~27% smaller)
So you might think 27-30% increase in size is worth it cos you can use GTX980 length GPU, but I definitely rather have 27-30% smaller case and use GTX970 Mini, R9 Nano or R9 Fury X(on SG13) etc instead.

Last edited:
standard Dan A4 = 114 x 200 x 318 = 7.25lt
new Dan A4 = 114 x 200 x 251 = 5.72lt (~27% smaller)
You're forgetting the power supply, which is what dictates the length of the A4 - not the GPU. If you want to actually shorten it you need to rotate the PSU so the wide side (125mm) is across the width of the case, rather than lengthwise. The case would have to be widened to do that, though, to a minimum of about 130mm, but depending on the chassis requirements (e.g., panel fasteners), up to 145mm. There's also little reason to put the PSU at the front with this layout, so you're looking at something more like 260 x 130~145 x 210mm (H x W x D), or 7.1 to 7.9L. No real volume savings, overall, but on the plus side it could support taller CPU coolers.

He gave a list in a previous post, step-by-step, of what needed to be done to bring the case to market. He has a plan and is executing.

There are several mitx cases with reduced GPU lengths available, many made by Lian Li. As someone that has owned a few it gets frustrating to be limited in your GPU choice by the allowable GPU length of a case. I am thankful for Dan designing a case to be as small as it is and still accept full length cards while also providing proper airflow and heat removal.

Well lets use Silverstone SG13/RVZ01 cases for an example since they are probably one of the most popular current ITX gaming cases. Do you think more than 50% of all SG13/RVZ01 owners use GTX980, 980Ti, Titan?

.... enough for GTX970 Mini, R9 Fury X

Well, there is your first mistake, not everyone that has a full length card is using a top of the line card. The R9 series from AMD exceeds the 195mm that works just fine for you and I'd think you would have one heck of a time using a fury X in any mitx case with the AIO cooler. Also, the nano didn't exist when Dan designed the case.

As we've seen with AMD's new Fury GPU long cards might be a thing of the past, but as it stands today long cards make up the majority. Playing in the SFF space means compromise and I think Dan has done a great job of minimizing the GPU compromise.

Last edited:
You're forgetting the power supply, which is what dictates the length of the A4 - not the GPU. If you want to actually shorten it you need to rotate the PSU so the wide side (125mm) is across the width of the case, rather than lengthwise. The case would have to be widened to do that, though, to a minimum of about 130mm, but depending on the chassis requirements (e.g., panel fasteners), up to 145mm. There's also little reason to put the PSU at the front with this layout, so you're looking at something more like 260 x 130~145 x 210mm (H x W x D), or 7.1 to 7.9L. No real volume savings, overall, but on the plus side it could support taller CPU coolers.
You are right, you'll have to change the design on Dan A4 due to layout but my point was simply I prefer small volume over long GPU or SFX-L PSU support etc, and personally I'd rather have 7.1lt Dan A4 with taller CPU cooler support.

There are several mitx cases with reduced GPU lengths available, many made by Lian Li. As someone that has owned a few it gets frustrating to be limited in your GPU choice by the allowable GPU length of a case. I am thankful for Dan designing a case to be as small as it is and still accept full length cards while also providing proper airflow and heat removal.

As we've seen with AMD's new Fury GPU long cards might be a thing of the past, but as it stands today if you want better than avg gaming performance most of the cards are full length or you pay a premium for a niche product.
Well then you are probably gonna get frustrated by the limited CPU cooler choice with Dan A4. :)
It's not 2013 anymore, you can get short and powerful GPU like R9 Nano(should be avail very soon) and NVidia's replacement for GTX970 Mini's gonna be even faster than R9 Nano(most likely).

To answer your edited post, yer I know not everyone with full length card is using a top of the line card. But I think people are willing to use shorter version of GPU(i.e. GTX970/960 Mini) for smallest ITX cases, cos otherwise you can buy ITX cases that support long length GPU(they are plenty of em).

Last edited:
Looks that people still don´t know about this case..

As far as i know it´s for gamers who need high ends GPUs in the smallest case possible..

I don´t want to be limited to two graphics card, Gtx 970 Mini or R9 Nano.

Maybe another project of Dan will be focus on shorter gpu to minimize the case, but not this one.

Cooling the cpu in the Dan A4 SFX its easy: wait to the cryorig c7

Last edited:
Shortening the case, and putting the power supply under mobo/gpu would make the case take the general shape of Lian-Li PC-Q02 or similar, i.e. getting higher than deeper. I made such a model of the A4 in Sketchup a while ago. Didn't feel entirely "yeehaw", since the width of the case starts to approach the height of what a standard case would have, if using no pci raiser.

One could also use the freed up space in the front to keep the depth, and instead put water cooling stuff there. Let's say; 130 x 250 x 300 = 9.75L

Well then you are probably gonna get frustrated by the limited CPU cooler choice with Dan A4. It's not 2013 anymore, you can get short and powerful GPU like R9 Nano(should be avail very soon) and NVidia's replacement for GTX970 Mini's gonna be even faster than R9 Nano(most likely).

To answer your edited post, yer I know not everyone with full length card is using a top of the line card. But I think people are willing to use shorter version of GPU(i.e. GTX970/960 Mini) for smallest ITX cases, cos otherwise you can buy ITX cases that support long length GPU(they are plenty of em).

Plenty of mitx cases under 8L that support full length cards? I'll wait for that list. Currently on my third mitx case for my gaming PC, SG05, and it required trimming the plastic shroud on my card to get it to fit in the case, or cutting the case.

I am currently gaming on a $100 R9-270, overclocked to 270x clocks. It gives pretty decent 1080p performance on the games I currently play,but I am looking to upgrade fairly soon. I won't be spending $300+ to do it which is what one will pay for a mitx 970, not sure how much the Nano is going to retail for.

Face it full length GPU gives a person a ton more choice esp. on the used GPU market.

Your comment on the CPU cooling being a compromise is 100% correct. I looked at Dan's test results and I am comfortable with the choices and performance available. Although I did voice that increasing the width to allow 58mm coolers would open up our options I understand that Dan has a size envelope he wishes to stay in and the case is too far along to make changes like that. I won't be overclocking and it seems that at stock clocks cooling is sufficient. I also find I don't upgrade CPUs nearly as much as I upgrade GPUs especially with Intel's performance in the CPU arena fairly stagnant over the past several generations.

The other compromise to the case is in the area of storage, I would love for 3.5" to be an option. It's not and again I understand SFF means compromise and it is one I can work around.

It isn't a perfect case and isn't for everyone, evaluate your use case and make the call, but seeing as this was designed with gaming in mind I think the compromise of full length GPU over increase in volume was justified. An anecdote to demonstrate this; when my rig was doing double duty as HTPC and gaming there is no way this case would have worked for me given its lack of storage. I moved to server client model with a chromebox running openelec and as such no longer limited by the previous requirements of HTPC use for that machine.

Not sure what your needs are for a case, but take a look at the Lone industries L2, might be more of what you are looking for.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1810890

Last edited:
I really think Dondan made the right compromises here with the final version. It's a case that can fit a wide array of parts in a uniquely tiny space; not an easy thing to accomplish. Remember the first A4 prototype was going to use a DCDC board and was about a liter smaller taking into account the power brick, but the more popular choice was what we see now.

Practically speaking, the more niche your design is the less customers you have. Less customers means a harder crowd funding campaign. A harder crowd funding campaign means more risk production is never realized, which means no niche case for anyone. This A4 has a wide consumer base since it has so many more hardware options and it still scratches our "tiny as it gets" itch.

I think until we see an industry wide shift to smaller GPU's with lower power requirements (thus opening up more PSU options) in general, this is the ideal blend of truly small size and functionality for the ITX gaming crowd.

Last edited:
To me, a "gaming case" needs to support high end video cards like the 980, 980 ti, etc. I would guess most people who are spending $200+ on a case are also getting a high end card. Sure, there is a small compromise with CPU cooling, but for gaming going down from a 980 ti to a 970 is a MUCH bigger compromise than being able to overclock your CPU a bit less.

Still good feedback though, maybe dan will make a cut down version in the future that only supports SFF video cards.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1566251/silverstone-sg14-7-4lt-proposal
Silverstone SG14(~7.4lt) ITX gaming case

Firstly, this is not an official Silverstone case, it's just my proposal for new smallest gaming ITX case suited for 2015/2016.
I came up with this idea cos I'm very frustrated by the super long GPU support on most small ITX gaming cases, because I much prefer smaller case with shorter GPU support.
- long GPU support = larger case, total waste of space for people that doesn't use the long GPU.
- I think people would be willing to use shorter GPU(GTX970/960 Mini etc) for one of the smallest ITX gaming cases.
- Short and powerful GPU like R9 Nano will be available very soon, and NVidia's replacement for GTX970 Mini should be faster than R9 Nano.
- R9 Fury X should fit inside this case.
- I only called this case Silverstone SG14 because the design is very similar to Silverstone SG13/SG05.

If Silverstone decide to make similar case then it will be one of the smallest gaming ITX cases, only smaller gaming ITX case I know would be Lian Li Dan A4(not out yet, http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1799326) but this is case much simpler design(won't require riser card etc) so it'll much easier/cheaper to produce.

Silverstone SG14 = 150 x 222 x 222, 7.39lt (213mm GPU, 56mm heatsink, SFX PSU)
Lian Li(?) Dan A4 = 114 x 200 x 318, 7.25lt (267mm GPU, 48mm heatsink, SFX-L PSU)
Silverstone SG05 = 222 x 176 x 276, 10.78lt (254mm GPU, 82mm heatsink, SFX PSU)
Silverstone SG13 = 222 x 181 x 285, 11.45lt (267mm GPU, 61mm heatsink, ATX PSU)
Lian Li PC-TU100 = 170 x 277 x 252, 11.87lt (195mm GPU, 60mm heatsink, SFX-L PSU)

As I said, it's a simple design. Basically make the SG13 case smaller by reducing the depth(~54mm) and the height(~31mm), and then turn the case to its side once to make the case tower shape(for better looks and smaller foot print).
pxPG73M.jpg

(obviously logo/usb ports will be at the bottom)

As posted above but the overall dimension of the case would be ~150 x 222 x 222 mm, ~7.39lt.
Can support ~213mm(8.4") length GPU. R9 Fury X, R9 Nano, GTX970 Mini, etc.
Can support ~56mm tall heatsink, Noctua NH-L9i, Thermalright AXP-200, Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev B, etc.
Can support Corsair Hydro H55/H60/H75 but then you won't be able to use R9 Fury X, and it maybe also reduce the maximum supported GPU length. (but you should be able to still use GTX970 Mini and R9 Nano will be fine)

Advantage over SG13/SG05
- ~55%/46% smaller size/volume compared to SG13/SG05, making it one of the smallest ITX gaming case available in the market.
- ~90%/84% smaller foot print compared to SG13/SG05

Disadvantage over SG13/SG05
- reduced GPU length, 8.4" vs 10.5"/10" on SG13/SG05
- reduced CPU heatsink height, 56mm vs 61mm/82mm SG13(ATX PSU)/SG05
- SFX PSU only

Advantage over Dan A4
- much cheaper
- support slightly taller CPU heatsink, 56mm vs 48mm
- support AIO cooler

Disadvantage over Dan A4
- slightly larger, 7.39lt vs 7.25lt
- reduced GPU length, 8.4" vs 10.5"

p.s. Dear Silverstone, please send me a free sample through local Silverstone distributor if you decide to make similar case, thank you. :)

Last edited:
- R9 Fury X should fit inside this case.

Silverstone SG14 = 150 x 222 x 222, 7.39lt (213mm GPU, 66mm heatsink, SFX PSU)
The Fury X won't fit in those dimensions, nor will it support that CPU cooler height. IMO you should remove your post and make a new thread if you want to continue discussing it.

Lots O Stuff

Have you considered making a thread for your ideas? Might be a good way to get a dialog going with some of the other guys that are looking at creating mitx cases.

Also, there is a silverstone rep here on hardforum.

The Fury X won't fit in those dimensions, nor will it support that CPU cooler height. IMO you should remove your post and make a new thread if you want to continue discussing it.
lol a bit more direct than my response, but spot on.

Why wouldn't it fit R9 Fury X? radiator size? but eitherway it shouldn't be hard to fit Fury X with a small increase in dimension.
You are right about the CPU heatsink height tho, changed it from 66m to 56mm.

Have you considered making a thread for your ideas? Might be a good way to get a dialog going with some of the other guys that are looking at creating mitx cases.

Also, there is a silverstone rep here on hardforum.

lol a bit more direct than my response, but spot on.
Unlike Dan I'm not interested in making my own case for profit etc. There is Silverstone rep in overclocker.net too, so they should see the post, but ok I'll make new thread here, I just hope they'll make smaller case that's all.
IMO people should be willing to make sacrifices for tiny ITX cases(i.e. harder to build, higher temps, no 3.5" HDD/ODD, limited CPU heatsink/GPU support, etc) and personally I don't mind only spending extra for short GPU if necessary.

Last edited:
If you want a small itx case with a videocard no bigger than the motherboard get Lian Li PC-Q03, or something similar...There's a reason this case is long enough for high end reference gpu's.

My thoughts are that I would love a case that is even smaller which fits shorter cards like the Fury X, and I would definitely prefer that once Nvidia makes flagships that are Fury X sized... but for now, I'll take my Dan A4 please. :D

My thoughts are that I would love a case that is even smaller which fits shorter cards like the Fury X, and I would definitely prefer that once Nvidia makes flagships that are Fury X sized... but for now, I'll take my Dan A4 please. :D
The thing about the Fury X is it's actually larger than a full-size card when you take into account the AIO and enough room to route the tubing. The card itself is short, but you have to look at the whole picture, and the Fury X is not a small form-factor solution overall.

Holy crap, you've been here for 120 pages longer than me.

I think you might have misunderstood the tone of my post.

I was mentioning it because I'm really proud of what dondan has accomplished and it's been truly inspiring watching this project from the start.

It's also been a challenge to hold off doing a new build until this case releases, since I don't have the time or the resources to do more than one build every 4 or 5 years, but I've been ready for quite some time already. I wanted dondan to know that I think this case is special enough to be worth the extra wait.

FWIW, you should see me in the morning when I open up [H] and go straight to this thread to see if there are any new posts. Far from stoic.

But I'm sorry you felt like I was just being a tool. :rolleyes:

I think you might have misunderstood the tone of my post.

I was mentioning it because I'm really proud of what dondan has accomplished and it's been truly inspiring watching this project from the start.

It's also been a challenge to hold off doing a new build until this case releases, since I don't have the time or the resources to do more than one build every 4 or 5 years, but I've been ready for quite some time already. I wanted dondan to know that I think this case is special enough to be worth the extra wait.

FWIW, you should see me in the morning when I open up [H] and go straight to this thread to see if there are any new posts. Far from stoic.

But I'm sorry you felt like I was just being a tool. :rolleyes:
Haha no, I didn't think you were being a tool. I was just trying to be funny. :D I was using semi-illustrative wording to paint a dramatized view of this thread, making it seem like there was some great divide between the "elders" who have been hardened by centuries of hopeless yearning, and newcomers like me who are just like "golly, that looks neat!". It was supposed to be humorous since it's just a computer case and not like the fountain of youth. Granted, it is still pretty dang awesome. Anyway sorry, reading through it again I can see why you thought that. But I wasn't trying to come across that way at all. Also, it was really late when I wrote that, so...

The thing about the Fury X is it's actually larger than a full-size card when you take into account the AIO and enough room to route the tubing. The card itself is short, but you have to look at the whole picture, and the Fury X is not a small form-factor solution overall.
That's true, I was just kind of ignoring the big ol' watercooling stuff and focusing on the card itself, assuming that future cards could be air-cooled while maintaining a similar size thanks to HBM memory. Maybe that's just wishful thinking and the cooling solution would be a bottleneck preventing that from happening. I don't know how things work. :D

Last edited:
Haha no, I didn't think you were being a tool. I was just trying to be funny. :D I was using semi-illustrative wording to paint a dramatized view of this thread, making it seem like there was some great divide between the "elders" who have been hardened by centuries of hopeless yearning, and newcomers like me who are just like "golly, that looks neat!". It was supposed to be humorous since it's just a computer case and not like the fountain of youth. Granted, it is still pretty dang awesome. Anyway sorry, reading through it again I can see why you thought that. But I wasn't trying to come across that way at all. Also, it was really late when I wrote that, so...

:eek::D

It's impossible to tell between facetiousness and sarcasm on the internet. My bad.

That's true, I was just kind of ignoring the big ol' watercooling stuff and focusing on the card itself, assuming that future cards could be air-cooled while maintaining a similar size thanks to HBM memory. Maybe that's just wishful thinking and the cooling solution would be a bottleneck preventing that from happening. I don't know how things work. :D
Well, at least for the time being AMD is not allowing any aftermarket coolers for the Fury X. If they ever do, it's likely they'll all be full-length coolers, just like the regular Fury. It's still a fairly high TDP card, after all. The Fury Nano will likely be the only truly SFF card based on the Fury.

Back