DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Ok it looks like MSI and EVGA do a different method to measure their cards. It a general problem that graphics card reseller do different measurement. For example they can measure
1. from the bottom of the bracket to the top
2. from the bottom of the pcie connector to the top
3. from the top of the pcie connector to the top.

I think the most resellers measure like example 2.

So the only thing that I can do is give you the measurement from example 2. and you have to try it by cour own. I will publish the maximum dimensions for cards on my webside in some weeks. Maybe it will fit with the classfield and the low profile pcie power plug, but I can't gurantee it, because I didn't know how EVGA measure their cards.

would be a nice idea to add a collective spreadsheet where we can contribute part compatability just like m1 thread

I found heaps of 170mm pci riser card/cables and was tempted to build this box out of lego - which I've done successfully in the past - while I wait for this chassis to be released.

I found heaps of 170mm pci riser card/cables and was tempted to build this box out of lego - which I've done successfully in the past - while I wait for this chassis to be released.

170mm won't be enough, though. Dan was using a 250mm riser previously and from what I understand, the final product will have a 300mm one because the 250 was a very tight fit around the bends.

Ok it looks like MSI and EVGA do a different method to measure their cards. It a general problem that graphics card reseller do different measurement. For example they can measure
1. from the bottom of the bracket to the top
2. from the bottom of the pcie connector to the top
3. from the top of the pcie connector to the top.

I think the most resellers measure like example 2.

So the only thing that I can do is give you the measurement from example 2. and you have to try it by cour own. I will publish the maximum dimensions for cards on my webside in some weeks. Maybe it will fit with the classfield and the low profile pcie power plug, but I can't gurantee it, because I didn't know how EVGA measure their cards.

I wrote it in my topic, but i will rewrite it here again. There is no rule telling You how manufacturer measured his card. Even 2 same cards from the same production line can be different in dimensions, just because of assembling process. For example: radiator is connected to the metal backplate with M3 screws, throught 4mm holes in the GPU PCB. It means that M3 screws can move 0.5 mm in every direction from the center of this hole. So just in this one point Your card can be 1mm lower or higher. Many things can cause different dimension.

Another example:
I have Gigabyte Radeon R9 270x. According to the manufacturer, it's dimensions are:

L=297mm W=132mm H=43mm (http://es.gigabyte.com/products/page/vga/gv-r927xoc-2gd/specs/)

And here is what i measured with caliper:
6n2NQT5.jpg

Please tell me, how did my GPU's manufacturer check its W (width) dimension? :D

This is why, as You said, You can't say to everyone, that their graphic card will fit. You can only say: "I have this space for the GPU. Go and check if You can insert Your card in it". It's of course problematic, but i think there is nothing we can do more about it.

LOL As mentioned before, good luck with the shielding. Heat is a pain too.

But I need this sfx case so badly! Dan, when can we expect it? :)

Hmm, I suppose down here in Melbourne I may have it in time for a Xmas build. :)

Woo! I was looking at the extreme.pcgameshardware.de forum and Bigdaniel/dondan is estimating the case to be available by the end of the year.

It's time to buy a cheapo case and bunker down for a holiday release.

I can't wait that long either. Might be able to do mid oct and begining of nov maaaybe.

So I'm also a bit in doubt about about the front USB connector. When Dondan started the project, it was before the 3.0 connector. But now it's here... I'm just thinking that if I'm getting a case I want to keep for 5+ years, I'd prefer if it was future proof and included a 3.0 connector instead. I guess it's not a big problem, I was just wondering if most people would prefer the new connector by now. Oh well, it might be too late for production, maybe it is something to consider for revision 2 of the case...

So I'm also a bit in doubt about about the front USB connector. When Dondan started the project, it was before the 3.0 connector. But now it's here... I'm just thinking that if I'm getting a case I want to keep for 5+ years, I'd prefer if it was future proof and included a 3.0 connector instead. I guess it's not a big problem, I was just wondering if most people would prefer the new connector by now. Oh well, it might be too late for production, maybe it is something to consider for revision 2 of the case...

The 3.0 connector can be easily replaced and swapped out for whatever comes in the future. I asked dondan earlier in the thread and he confirmed that it's just held in place with a screw. Once there are USB 3.1 headers exist on motherboards you should be able to find a suitable front panel USB 3.1 port and secure it in place instead of the one that comes with the A4.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it is a 3.0 connector, right? I replied thinking you wanted 3.1.

Anyway what I mean is the type-c connector. Problem is that the type-c connector is smaller than the old connector, so the cutout is going to be too big (and it's square, not rounded)?

Here's a new case with a type-c connector:

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2015/06/computex-2015-day-1/day1-83-1620x1080.jpg

There must be an internal connector for it? But I guess it depends on whether Lian Li can do it for Dondan...

Huh, interesting. I wasn't aware that there were any motherboards with USB-C headers on them, unless they're just passing a USB 3.0 signal through them and then sending power straight from the power supply.

While it's true that they are smaller than the USB Type-A cutout, you could probably make something to mount them in the same hole and find a way to make it look nice. I also would like a Type C port, but I think the benefits of this case trump having it at this point, especially considering that it is something that would be possible to add later.

Anyway what I mean is the type-c connector. Problem is that the type-c connector is smaller than the old connector, so the cutout is going to be too big (and it's square, not rounded)?

Well, if the Type A cutout is bigger than the Type C plugs will require, then you're good to go.

BTW, I'm not holding my breath for widespread Type C adoption anytime soon as there are too many "legacy" USB devices on the market and memory sticks already generate lots of heat (and can throttle) running on USB3 Type A.

Seriously, with a case this small, it's not going to be a major chore to reach around back to plug in a Type C device, and you'll likely have a multi port USB 3.1 hub on your desk.

If that's really a problem, it would be possible to include a small shade that can be inserted into the old hole to make it smaller. You'd have a small seam around the outside, but that's the best you can do right now.

Here's a new case with a type-c connector:

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2015/06/computex-2015-day-1/day1-83-1620x1080.jpg

There must be an internal connector for it? But I guess it depends on whether Lian Li can do it for Dondan...

From what I know, all those Type-C front panels are currently connected to a PCIex1 card, there's no way something like that would work in an mITX enclosure this small.
Currently, there's not Type-C internal connector.

Change of heart guys, I just couldn't wait anymore. I will be selling my dynatron t318 and deepcool 120x20mm fan. I will post it up on the fs thread soon. Pm if interested. Wanted to ask in this thread first before branching out anywhere else.

Thanks for the awesome time in this wonderful thread Dondan. Best of luck with the A4!

Anyway what I mean is the type-c connector.

even if type-c was on the front, the old plug would still need to be there, because everyone uses the old plug, and nobody uses type-c. so adding both would mean modifying the case and adding another part. this would cost even more cost and even more time to delay the case.

overall not a good idea for something no one needs.

PS: if you want type-c on the front of your case, there will be adapters on ebay when people care to buy them

Change of heart guys, I just couldn't wait anymore. I will be selling my dynatron t318 and deepcool 120x20mm fan. I will post it up on the fs thread soon. Pm if interested. Wanted to ask in this thread first before branching out anywhere else.

Thanks for the awesome time in this wonderful thread Dondan. Best of luck with the A4!

Man I really wanted to see an X99 build in an A4 :(

Hope you can lay it down flat! oh man this would be perfect for my idea of a console PC. I dont even plan on going high end amd 806k probably a decent video card.

Hope you can lay it down flat! oh man this would be perfect for my idea of a console PC. I dont even plan on going high end amd 806k probably a decent video card.

You can do that when buying rubber feet to stick on the side, but keep in mind the case is pretty thick in that orientation. It's probably still better to just leave it in the orientation it's designed to be in.

What is the latest on a release date? I've been trying to skim through the thread but found no updates on when a release is anticipated. Anyone who knows, or better yet, knows where I can find out?

Care to elaborate on this 1Q 2016 dondan? It looks the same as with LRPC. Did LianLi push back custom manufacturing for now because of their own workload?

No Lian Li is ready but I need more time to evaluate everything (company, laws, shipment s.o.)

Dan, u have considered to ask a lawyer or an expert in laws for the Dan A4 project?

Maybe u could get some help if u need.

Hey Dondan, what's the likelihood of a second run or V2 of this case. I will probably get this case, but since there isnt a tag like in the Ncase M1 v1 cases, I'll probably hold off for the second run or V2.

Back