DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Looking good, but you could use miniature links or spoiler tag so we wont have to scroll so much every time :D

Gorgeous... Just gorgeous!
Can't wait to see the case with all the components inside.

I forget if this is in the thread already but can we get a pic of this thing next to, I don't know, maybe a can of coke? ;)

Seriously I can't wait for this thing to come out. I have no need to make another PC but I could care less... I want I want I want it!

Actually the prototype is in taiwan but i will get in in 1-2 weeks :). Than can I do a Coke compare.

I wonder how big this case would get if this concept was applied to a mATX motherboard, space for 2 cards on the reverse side (SLI/XFire), and an ATX PSU...

I didn't even notice the bend for the side panel screws until I saw the bottom of the case. It looks great. The whole case looks amazing in both colors...I can't decide which is nicer. Can't wait for scale pics.

but would it be smaller than the "Kimera Industries Nova: A 17L"?

I feel like this design done for mATX would be the smallest mATX design possible, allowing for 2 full sized GPUs.

Especially with ATX PSU support it wouldn't be much smaller, if at all, and then you'd have all the complications with CPU cooling and the PCIe risers.

Pics look great, love the new front panel!

mATX version is an interesting thought, you'd sacrifice some CPU cooling for great cooling on the 2 video cards. Would it even have to be that much taller? Reference 970 height is 111mm and case is already 200mm tall. It would have to grow but not to double height or anything like that.

Also ATX PSU wouldn't be required, definitely stick with SFX.

Call it the A8! :p

Especially with ATX PSU support it wouldn't be much smaller, if at all, and then you'd have all the complications with CPU cooling and the PCIe risers.

Now I could be very wrong on this... But by my estimations, a mATX setup should add 74mm in height, 99mm in deapth, and only 25mm in width...

Going from

Dimensions: 114mm x 200mm x 318mm, 7,25L

To

Dimensions: 139mm x 274mm x 417mm, 15,89L

Smaller than the current 17L Kimera Industries Nova... But would only have 4 slots (could maybe make a 5th above/across the mATX expansion slots), and would have zero room for a water cooling loop... although it would pull in fresh air on both GPUs for normal heatsinks, and allows for a full ATX PSU for SLI/Crossfire of higher TDP cards (Titan X, etc), and I would think may have more 'left over' space for HDDs or an optic drive....

Ofcourse these are just general estimations based on the size differences between mATX vs mITX and an ATX vs SFX PSU... Someone should draft something up ;)

Last edited:
The side door design looks good. It is not ideal, but it's good enough for the first run. I think you need to sell these ASAP. Once you get the system up and running (with pictures and video using a Titan X ;)) people will be lining up. Are we there yet?!?! :)

After he receives the prototypes I assume he will still have to:

1) Build in to the case and test compatibility of "normal" parts
2) Troubleshoot any teething issues (Could be anything - issues with clips, manufacturing defects of the prototypes, things not lining up, contact causing heat issues/shorting etc).
3) Investigate & test temperatures, noise etc
4) Negotiate production run with Lian-Li/Manufacturer. (Quantity, price, shipping, time-frame etc)
5) Start a kickstarter/indiegogo etc for getting people on board

Give him the time he needs, it will be worth it in the end :)

Once you get the system up and running (with pictures and video using a Titan X ;)) people will be lining up. Are we there yet?!?! :)

If you send me the TitanX i can make a video ;) Maybe I can contact Nvidia if they can borrowing me a TitanX for that.

You could probably ask local gigabyte, asus etc for the box of cards for testing. They should have something like those after they get returns from the reviews in the lesser media portals :)

Ok thank you for this, I will try do get some components for the prototype, because I actualy have only the following:

GTX 780
Asrock Z77E-ITX
Xeon 1230 v2
Silverstone SFX-L

I think my stuff is good enough, but with a TitanX and 4790K it would be better.

Rather than TitanX I think you should get a GTX 970 with some dual fan cooling to test temperatures and noise. It might actually be almost silent build with such low powered card with huge low RPM fans

So should I go E3 Xeon or 2011-3 i7 in my future A4?
I'm really leaning towards the 2011-3 because I'll be doing a lot of encoding + CAD + random 3D stuff and virtual machines (mostly HEVC encoding though). On the other hand if I go the E3 Xeon route I'd probably be able to afford a bigger SSD and/or slightly better GPU.
Is it too much to ask for you to get one of these bad boys and test it with a 6 core i7? *puppy eyes* MAybe you could contact ASRock/Intel and convince them to sponsor the world's most space efficient workstation?

So should I go E3 Xeon or 2011-3 i7 in my future A4?
I'm really leaning towards the 2011-3 because I'll be doing a lot of encoding + CAD + random 3D stuff and virtual machines (mostly HEVC encoding though). On the other hand if I go the E3 Xeon route I'd probably be able to afford a bigger SSD and/or slightly better GPU.
Is it too much to ask for you to get one of these bad boys and test it with a 6 core i7? *puppy eyes* MAybe you could contact ASRock/Intel and convince them to sponsor the world's most space efficient workstation?

What cooler would fit? The motherboard only supports narrow ILM

Today I got the pics of the other sidepanel version. I will upload it later today. It looks so beautiful with these version. But I have to validate witch one is better.

The silver is stunning. Guaranteed buyer here. Personally prefer the matching side panel version, but that's just me. Really interested to see some numbers!

Here is the second version of the sidepanel for the prototype:

15hfjfk.jpg

16pjk4u.jpg

179xj37.jpg

18gskab.jpg

This one looks better than the first one.
Definitely agree. The bottom separated band on the first one just doesn't look right at all.

Will we see any test figures released for temperatures of graphics cards with non-reference coolers? With the separated sections we of course don't expect other temperatures to be affected however it would be good to see how well this works (and I think for the sake of cooling and quietness most would be considering aftermarket coolers if they perform well). I'm presuming this is a stupid question but it's worth asking!

Also interested to see how fitment is for the popular cards (ASUS Strix, MSI Gaming, Gigabyte models etc).

Last edited:
+1. Way better, go with this one, only take the other, if airflow is WAY worse with this new one :)

Also agreed that this new version is more aesthetically appealing, but am curious to see how the temps turn out! @Dondan, this project is really remarkable, will definitely be placing an order!

+1 on the new sidepanel. It's now symetric on both sides, which makes all the difference!!!

Hey dondan, I found another viable CPU cooler; the Alpenföhn Silvretta - check it out:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-044-AL&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=2337

Found this review and it performs worse than the axp 100 which makes it less efficient than the Silverstone AR05. Should be on par with the NH-l9i. This is all based off of the nikktech.com review. I don't own or haven't verified these findings.

AR05 review:

http://www.nikktech.com/main/articles/pc-hardware/cpu-cooling/cpu-air-coolers/4705-silverstone-argon-ar05-low-profile-cpu-cooler-review?showall=&start=5

Alpenfohn Silvretta forum review:

http://translate.google.co.kr/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/luftkuehlung/294182-review-alpenfoehn-silvretta-ein-kleiner-gletscher-ganz-gross.html&prev=search

Last edited:
the symmetry is beautiful

Well, I've been saying ;)

It seems my efforts in bugging dondan with suggestions paid off!

No bends on the front? Check.
Symmetric side panels? Check.
That little bend on the front that screws in from the bottom? Check.

Mission accomplished! :D

Last edited:
Dan what type of GPU cooler are you testing it with? I was thinking about buying a 980 non-reference 2 fan open air cooler but it's an expensive gamble.

Back