DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Well, it looks like there are people here who NEED front usb and some who absolutely never use it. Front IO is a rather minor change of a few holes an an extra circuitboard. Maybe Dondan could sell a variant with and one without front IO without too much trouble... So everyone is satisfied :D

I feel that people confuse wanting and needing something. I would like to see a front option configuration maybe some time during the production run, perhaps like how they did the top panel for the NCASE, w/ and w/o the top slot for the slim optical drive, then you can buy the I/O cables seperately. Unfortunately that would cost more money and take more time to cater to multiple sides.

I'm a fan of option 1. I would use the front connectors (I'd even prefer 2 front USB, but you're right that option 5 kind of hurts the aesthetics).

A case without any front USB ports seems strange to me, I use them all the time and had no idea so many people don't care if they're present at all.

The case is small enough where having the extra ports going to the back won't make a material difference in most use cases. For all I care even the power button can go to the back as seen on the Mac Mini.

yes put the power button also in the back if there is room
easily can get a reach around going with a case this small

but why not get this 2 dual usb + mic ports from the SG06 and reverse it,
putting usb down as it is at it longest point:
silverstone_sg06b_face.jpg

When I looked those pictures again, I think that option 4 is the best one. I think that many users want that one usb or maybe there is way to put second port too like option 4 has that one.

I use daily my usb headset in front usb port. Sometimes phone etc.

With my current configuration, I'm not using any of the front panel audio ports. But I do use the front usb ports. I throw my vote to: 2,3,4.

If i had to choose one, i would choose no USB slots, option #2. Keep in mind that USB slots we know today are going extinct in the near future, everything will be replaced with USB Type C:
Screenshot-17_edited.jpg

Odds are you will keep this case long enough for those big USB Type A slots to become a relic of the past and an eyesore on the front of the case.

How about option #1 but horizontally, like #4.
You'd get front audio and USB but wouldn't lose GPU clearance. (Your logo sticker can go somewhere to the top)

I think 290mm is the minimum GPU length. While most of the current GeForce GTX 980s are under 280mm, most Radeon 290x are not. And some of last year's GTX 780s aren't either, including the popular Asus and Gigabyte models.

It is not safe to assume next gen's flagships will stay under 280mm and I sure would hope this 200+ Euro case lasts me a long time and doesn't restrict my choice of GPU. One of the prime reasons I'm considering it is that it does not, as it was advertised as having ~295mm clearance.

EDIT:

Okay, I just read the computerbase.de discussion and apparently my proposition was mentioned and you say it's not possible.
So my vote is now resoundingly #2 - looks best, is the cheapest option and leaves 290mm GPU length.

Here's what I had in mind and what someone at CB doodled up:
http://abload.de/image.php?img=unbenanntqebsm.png

Last edited:
Option 4 to me.
I would prefer 1 usb in the front, but all the MB connectors (sound/usb) can be extended to the front with cables if you want (the power button can't), so option 2 is valid for me too.

i want a gigabyte 3 fan card so need max GPU length

I would vote for option 2 with no USB.

other than that 1 USB without audio is good too.

I vote for power button only.
Edit: or like vipz said, I'd mush prefer the power button on the back. (I only press it like once every few weeks :p)

My vote would be option 4 (with a double USB if possible)

Otherwise Option 2 would be ok

Thank you for all your efforts in trying to keep everyone happy :)

There is never just one option to solve a practical issue. Front USB isn't the only clean alternative to have easily accessible ports. There are many good wired keyboards with usb pass through which is a great option. And back in the days when I used a lot of usb devices I stuck a usb hub on the back of my monitor. Worked like a charm and did not clutter my desk at all.

The point made by DG25 about USB hubs becoming redundant is a fair point though I think we are quite a way away from this. Just think how may USB devices there are in the world.

2 is by far the most attractive design, but if it is not 2 I actually think the original design looks more balanced.

If it would be my decision I would only take the power switch because I like it simple.

I completely agree with you, Dondan! I also vote for number 2, where only the power button is present. Just didn't want to interfere with your current design as you've mentioned several times, that no futher changes will be made to the case. But this is good news :D

Most keyboards already come with a usb hub. I have my headset attached to my keyboard via a USB soundcard and still have a spare USB slot for a memory stick. If I didn't have this option I would rather have an external USB hub attached if it meant a clean case!

Last edited:
Time to register and stop lurking I guess.

I would cast another vote for a back side power button as it is something that I almost never use. My computers are on 24/7 and only time power button is used is after hardware reconfiguring which doesn't happen very often.

As to audio out in the front I have no idea why anyone would use it. On each of my lian li cases (I have only lian li so can't talk about others) there is a ton of interference when using those connections (even when attaching it to dedicated Xonar STX) making it unusable anyhow.

Time to register and stop lurking I guess.

Hi, and welcome;)

As to audio out in the front I have no idea why anyone would use it. On each of my lian li cases (I have only lian li so can't talk about others) there is a ton of interference when using those connections (even when attaching it to dedicated Xonar STX) making it unusable anyhow.

If you have a pair of Porta-Pros or something there isn't usually a noticeable difference. But if you try to connect more advanced headphones the difference is huge.

Along with my vote for #2, I also vote for the power button on the back.

I think we need a poll set up.

I'm game for any of the options, I don't personally need more than 1 front usb and the need on that isn't even that high to begin with given the case is barely a foot long.

Time for me to stop lurking as well (I did vote on the Google poll). My preference would be to maximize the room for the GPU. I would make whatever front I/O is provided (or not) work out one way or another.

( I actually do use the power button on my current computer to put it to and wake it from sleep mode. )

I actually like the aesthetics of 1 the best, but video card length is important and I don't really like the look of any of the other USB layout options. And the posts here have made me realize I probably don't need the front connectors at all, so I change my vote to 2. I'm definitely for the minimalist style, though I do think the logo should be milled into the case to give a bit of balance to the power button (if it was a sticker I'd peel it off).

Hi, and welcome;)

If you have a pair of Porta-Pros or something there isn't usually a noticeable difference. But if you try to connect more advanced headphones the difference is huge.

That is possible I use senheiser PC350 headset and ultrasone DJ1pro so they are relatively good headphones. Never tried with in-ear ones.

Last edited:
While I use the front USB ports of my NCase M1 (or any other case that I have) once in a while, I'd still prefer option 2. I like the minimalistic looks and there won't be any issues with front panel upgrades.

option #2 is the best one.

So many cases are ruined with these ugly ports in them.

Rather just use an external expansion-module if needed for more ports than ruin a piece of art!

That is a great compromise!
I don't think it's a compromise :D clean front + TWO usb = best think ever!! :) however, the place where you did it Dondan, isn't it for the PSU? Or is enough room between front and psu for the ports to go? Nevermind, this is awesome ;)

EDIT: Sorry I overread that it'll fit in my excitement :D

Last edited:
I think those ports would be just fine between the power button and the "DAN" logo.

Is this ugly?

1_120084uvf.jpg

In my opinion this is practical. After this case, the natural evolution of small ITX cases, will bring to the market, similar solutions. In the same size, between aesthetics and the practical use, I would go for the practical use. Once more, looking not only for my personal taste, but also for the markets this product may achieve, giving away practical use for a pretty PC case doesn't seem a wise choice to me, unless the price reduction is very significant.

Don't like the side usb ports, because they aren't practical to every day use, but is better than don't have any ports near the front of the case. Did you ever seen a case with usb ports in this position? Maybe there is a reason for that.

Just personal opinion of course.

If you want a usb port for using every day, wouldn't you use the back motherboard ports instead? Another option would to just have a usb extender run from the back? Tons of keyboards and monitors have extra ports on them as well, you could just plug those hubs into the back of the computer

I think those ports would be just fine between the power button and the "DAN" logo.

If i would put it between power button and logo your aren't be able to mount a SFX-L PSU or a 2,5" HDD because the I/O adapter will collide with the modular cables of the PSU and with the cable of the first HDD or the second HDD itself.

Is this ugly?

No i like my design but it is more expensive, and we losing 10mm GPU space.

Did you ever seen a case with usb ports in this position? Maybe there is a reason for that.
Lian Li Q28

The most critical point for this case isn't the price, if somebody really want this case he would only not buy if the price is out of his possibilities. Furthermore 95% of the users will place the case on the desk so that everybody can see it, the last 5% under the desk. 95% can easy pull the case a bit forward for having access to back I/O or using the side ports in my new version. The last 5% will have a problem or must use a USB HUB.

Last edited:
So there is way but these usb port/ports front bottom? Like bottom middle? But that side way is not bad too. Is there way to change to usb c?

Im not sure if I like the USB's on the side. I usually sigh when I see cases like this. (Ex. Bitfenix Prodigy).

I still prefer option #2, or the power button at the back.

If you are thinking of moving the USB's to the side you might as well move the power button over there too.

Using the side ports would be nearly the same as reaching to the back. The majority of people put their computers to their right. It's second nature. You would still have to reach.

If type C USB is going to become mainstream in the near future, current USB technology will be obsolete and the ports on the case will be too. The safest way would be to follow motherboard technology progression and reach to the back. That way the case never gets old.

It's fairly common in small cases. Eg Fractal Design Core, Fractal Design Node, Bitfenix Prodigy, Bitfenix Phenom, etc.

In my personal experience, when I had the Bitfenix Prodigy for two years, the USB ports on the sides were far enough away from me that I always reached to the back to plug something in.

I'd rather have no USB (option 2) than side USB. How does side USB affect removing the side panel?

Would the PCB for USB and power fit in the space between the PSU and the top of the case? "Inside" the PSU mounting bracket.

Back