DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

I think a normal picopsu has not enough power on the 12v rail to provide a gtx 960m. I think it have to provide arround 12A.

Not entirely true, but yes, it's not enough.

The strongest PicoPSU I could find is this one, which provides a total of 160W and has a maximum load of 8A on the 12V rail.

The GTX 960 needs 120W in the base configuration, 120W / 12V = 10A, so not sufficient unless you undervolt or downclock.

Also the motherboard/CPU needs 12V so my 12A isn't wrong.

Hey Dondan,

Thank you for the measurement. So a slim 30mm radiator and 15mm fan will work. Maybe with some modding you could squeeze a 25mm fan if you are lucky.

Any chance a 140mm AIO could fit?

P.S. This really opens up alot of opportunities for this case. An under 7litre case that offers 120mm AIO support is brilliant You could probably even fit a micro reservoir where the SSD's would go and run a full custom loop.

I am seriously impressed Dondan. Virtual High Five!!!

The problem is you're moving an internal component to "save space", by which he points towards other "space saving" solutions. The problem is this:

SLeYGCs.jpg

It's almost as large as a mainstream GPU. And it is expensive, more expensive than going the way of using a SFX or 1U PSU internally. They also don't have the best reputation for lasting long.

That just moving the problem, not solving the problem. If you don't have space to put a small PC, then getting a very small PC with a bunch of add-ons (needing power bricks seperately maybe) each in a different enclosure isn't more efficient. Then get a laptop and stop kidding yourself that shrinking your computer to the point you're throwing out stuff that you need externally is solving a problem, it's just doing something different.

I don't mind this case and it sure has a good reason to exist, but don't consider an external power brick as a positive aspect, it is not.

Agreed.I prefer my PCs major components to be inside the machine even if that means getting a larger chassis.

I think a normal picopsu has not enough power on the 12v rail to provide a gtx 960m. I think it have to provide arround 12A.

Between Backside of the SFX and left sidepanel are 46,5mm.

The 160-xt is actually quite powerful, it can go over spec.

With a good brick you could easily power a 960.

@Dan_d: Because of this i changed the original design to the A4-SFX design to have a SFX power supply in the case. But i will offer the option to use both a DCDC Powerboard or a SFX.

@Dondan,

Just curious if this makes sense:

Case Length = 314mm

Mini 970 = 170mm
140mm Radiator Width = 140mm

TOTAL Length: 170mm + 140mm = 310mm

Will a 140mm radiator / AIO technically fit?

No because you need some left space for the front I/O. (arround 12-20mm)

That would be very misleading for anyone just skimming through the thread that might get the idea this is supported. Don't think it's a good idea.

I think its a fine idea as long as there is a disclaimer.

Knowing that an AIO cooler will fit with technically no modification required, is an amazing bonus. The vent holes could likely be the mounting spot for a radiator or fan, so it is in a way, unoficially supported.

I think its a fine idea as long as there is a disclaimer.

Knowing that an AIO cooler will fit with technically no modification required, is an amazing bonus. Technically the vent holes can be the mounting spot for a radiator or fan, so it is technically unofficially supported.

I see your point, but still...

I see your point, but still...

Seeing a rendering of an unofficially supported 120mm AIO in this wonderful >7liter case doesn't interest you? :)

I know this would tickle the fancy of a bunch of people who might be underwhelmed by the CPU cooler support. Also the fact that this option would allow users overclocking support?

Mark me down for a rendering because I'm intrigued!

Hi,

here is a picture of the case with a SFX-L PSU. It's looks so heavy :D.
As you can see i change one thing on the case. I shorted the top borderline on the right side in the area of the SFX PSU. The reason for it is, that you can now push the SFX with mounting adapter directly in the right position.
In the last version you have to push the PSU a bit down, than you can push it in the case and move it up to the final position. The advantage of the change is, that we need 10mm less space for the mounting process. In the last version, SFX-L would only fit, if you remove the bottom plate, mount the PSU and remount the bottom plate.

I am sorry for the quality of the SFX-PSU (Screws, FAN and FAN-grill) in the rendered pictures, but actually i haven't the time to made a better one. Between SFX-L and HDD are 28mm left space. (measurement between topside HDD and Topside modular connector)

On new thing that you can see on the picture is a single HDD mounted without a HDD-Bay. It is you choice, if you want to mount it single or in the bay. Both variation are supporting mounting with rubber spacers.

@JoeOnePack: Maybe i can make a rendered picture of your wish next week.

Hi,

here is a picture of the case with a SFX-L PSU. It's looks so heavy :D.
As you can see i change one thing on the case. I shorted the top borderline on the right side in the area of the SFX PSU. The reason for it is, that you can now push the SFX with mounting adapter directly in the right position.

So, is there now an additional 10mm of space between the left side panel and the SFX PSU? For a total of 56mm~?

@JoeOnePack: Maybe i can make a rendered picture of your wish next week

Thank you so much Dondan. I think it would be good publicity for your campaign anyways. ;)

No only for the process of mounting you have 10mm more space in the height. I dont change the size of the case.

sfxm3ug3.jpg

What's the distance between the edge of the top mobo and the top of the case? Could an SSD fit in there, by bending the pci-express riser a bit more to make room for it?

nice! i need maximum one 2.5 drive for SSD (might be replaced with an M2 SSD)

so SFX-L is fully compatible now!

I use their lower-power power supply and it simply works out of the box and is stable. I can't say anything about their higher end boards, but they have rather positive user rating in their aliexpress shop.
There is also kind of review available in german forum:
http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1294120

Checkout this Pico Box 500W monster DC-DC psu.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-X7-ATX-400-400W-High-Power-24PIN-DC-ATX-Power-Supply/211500_747813627.html

The URL says 400w, but the page says 500w. Which one can we trust? :D

I'm sure it just lost something in the translation ;)

The PSU they show there and specs are different from the 400W on Pico's website, where they don't show the 500W. As far as who or what to trust? Buyer beware on aliexpress.

Be aware that for that board to run a full 400-500W, you'll want two 19V bricks. But for most cases and configs an HDPLEX with the Dell 330W will be enough.

Sandblasted and anodized like Streacom.

st-f1c-evo-ws-both.jpg

I have a black Streacom case (FC5 Evo) with that sandblasted finish, and it's horrible! It attracts dust like crazy and it's almost impossible to wipe it clean because it's just like fine sandpaper. It's the only thing I really hate with the Streacom cases. :(

You have been warned. :D

Hey guys a little Update from me:

My last change eleminating the bend on the SFX mountingare was not as good as i thought. The case will lose stability if i short this bend, so i made the decision to add it but make it shorter in the SFX mounting area from 10 to 5mm. Now the case is stable again. And we have enough space for easily mounting a SFX-L PSU.
Furthermore the best thing i found out, that you must not install the SFX-L with premounted cables. You have enough space to mount them afterwards.
solidmrusu.jpg

Last edited:
The top left hand corner of the side panel could maybe do with a bit more security, so maybe an extra clip on the front edge near the top would be useful.

You could move the existing one in the middle down a bit.

Last edited:
My last change eleminating the bend on the SFX mountingare was not as good as i thought. The case will lose stability if i short this bend, so i made the decision to add it but make it shorter in the SFX mounting area from 10 to 5mm.
Just a heads up, the flanges on the M1 are 12mm (inside measure)/13.5mm (outside), which I believe is the minimum is required if you don't want to notch the bend. The reason for the notching is that the cutouts for the toolless plastic clips that hold the side panel are too close to the bend and there's a risk of it not bending correctly. The first M1 prototype had slightly shorter flanges at the top and required notching, which you can see here (look just above the clips on the top rail). They weren't really a problem in the M1 (though I modified the design anyway to get rid of them), but in your design these notches would be visible from the outside.

Back