DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

For the first version i plan no special thinks like glass sidepanels.

Actual i plan the details about the case with LianLi. What do you think brushed or not brushed anodized?

After seeing the aesthetics of the Raijintek Metis, I think the brushed anodized look is beautiful.

On a side note. How come you decided to add those side panel wing extensions that extend past the case? Not sure if I'm quite digging them in my opinion.

Last edited:
After seeing the aesthetics of the Raijintek Metis, I think the brushed anodized look is beautiful.

On a side note. How come you decided to add those side panel wing extensions that extend past the case? Not sure if I'm quite digging them in my opinion.

Protects the connectors when you travel?

Protects the connectors when you travel?

Eh.. I guess, although if I was travelling, the PC would likely be in some type of travel bag anyways IMO.

I can't help but think of cutting the extensions off if I purchase the case.. hehe. The case is nearly perfect and I understand you can't please everyone.

Pushpins mounted on the glass with epoxy glue could maybe work?

Just thinking out loud. I'm not a window person anyway; I prefer solid metal panels.

Maybe, but I don't know about the forces that epoxy withstands, especially when bonding with a smaller surface area. You'd need some surface area, so a small plate at the end of the pin is required, and I'm not sure if that will actually look good.

I think the only way would be a cutout in the side panel and glass glued on from behind.

But let's not think about stuff like that right now :)

My guess is the are handles to pry off the side panels.

Yup. The connector protection is a secondary function.

@dondan I love the brushed aluminium of LianLi cases, I would say you should go for that.

Yes, the PC-Q12 does, and I like how it looks: http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-q12/

What would that indent have looked like?

The side panel extensions look decent on the Q12, but mainly because the case is tall and not long. The A4 is already long as it is and the extensions don't quite compliment the case as it does on the Q12.

The indents could look like they do on most cases on the market that require you to pull back on the panel to release it.

Anodised is preferable. Anodising hardens the outer surface of Aluminium, making the surface more durable.

The side panel extensions look decent on the Q12, but mainly because the case is tall and not long. The A4 is already long as it is and the extensions don't quite compliment the case as it does on the Q12.

The indents could look like they do on most cases on the market that require you to pull back on the panel to release it.

That is probably subjective :)

Pictures, please. I have no idea what you're talking about.

For the first version i plan no special thinks like glass sidepanels.

Actual i plan the details about the case with LianLi. What do you think brushed or not brushed anodized?

Sandblasted and anodized like Streacom.

st-f1c-evo-ws-both-large.jpg

Or a textured powdercoat like the Murderbox/MBX MkII

MKII.P5.505.2.jpg

Dondan,wanted to ask a few quick things.Have you decided when you are gona make the first prototype for testing and sharing results?
And wanted to ask about the riser cable.Never used one bifore so im reading right now to inform myself better but are they safe whit long life cycle?Ive manage to by recently at a good price a firepro w8100 and i supose that performance will be the same vs the motherboard pci give or take 2-3 frames probably?

Dondan,wanted to ask a few quick things.Have you decided when you are gona make the first prototype for testing and sharing results?
And wanted to ask about the riser cable.Never used one bifore so im reading right now to inform myself better but are they safe whit long life cycle?Ive manage to by recently at a good price a firepro w8100 and i supose that performance will be the same vs the motherboard pci give or take 2-3 frames probably?

I am actualy in the process of doing this.

I use a risercable in the A4 (old prototyp) for over a year with no problems. With a good risercable like the 3M one in the A4-SFX you will lose 0 FPS.

I am actualy in the process of doing this.

I use a risercable in the A4 (old prototyp) for over a year with no problems. With a good risercable like the 3M one in the A4-SFX you will lose 0 FPS.

Thanks for the info dan ;) I was looking at the start of the thread with the old prototype.In the current place of the ssd there where 2 92mm fans(top andbottom).Now ts obviously changed and having the psu there wont permit the fan on the top but as i said earlyer one coud possibly be puted on top of the first ssd rack thing.Will this interfere with a long gpu?If not when the time comes and you have the final build can you please make the tests with and without the internal 92mm fan for comparisson?
Cant wait for this case to come out

Would it be possible to fit another 2.5" drive between the sfx psu and the front of the enclosure? Right below the push pin, there might just be enough room, unless the bracket that supports the psu is too narrow.

For someone that isn't planning on using any SSD's, could you fit a slim 92mm radiator and fan in their place?

For someone that isn't planning on using any SSD's, could you fit a slim 92mm radiator and fan in their place?

Maybe, but you've got to keep in mind that you'd then have to raise the case by a sufficient amount. Tubing and routing will also be a pain.

@JoeOnePack: Sorry at this point I will add no changes, because I am actual in the process of planing the prototyp with LianLi. Furtermore the available 92mm radiator are too high in combination with a fan for fitting in the case. You have to mod the case to use it.

@JoeOnePack: Sorry at this point I will add no changes, because I am actual in the process of planing the prototyp with LianLi. Furtermore the available 92mm radiator are too high in combination with a fan for fitting in the case. You have to mod the case to use it.

Hey Dondan,

I am completely aware that you can't make any changes now. I was just curious if it would fit with modification, which I failed to mention. My fault.

Would a slim 30mm radiator like this accompanied by a slim fan fit? If modification is necessary what would that entail?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Magicool-water-cooling-radiator-92mm-copper-radiator/628777074.html

Last edited:
You have to remove the sidepanel clips. Because between it are only 83mm left space, but you need min. 92mm. Furthermore you must cutout a airhole for the fan in the buttompanel, because there are only hole for singl hdd mounting or hddbay mounting.

With a Normal SFX you have 74mm left space for cables, radiator and fan. For example the radiator is 30mm hight and the fan is14mm, you have 30mm left space. It could be very tricky but it could fit. The last problem are the tubing maybe it is too small to fit.

Update: I forget to say, that you can only use a 180mm long gpu because the radiator fan combination would be too high to fit under it.

You have to remove the sidepanel clips. Because between it are only 83mm left space, but you need min. 92mm. Furthermore you must cutout a airhole for the fan in the buttompanel, because there are only hole for singl hdd mounting or hddbay mounting.

With a Normal SFX you have 74mm left space for cables, radiator and fan. For example the radiator is 30mm hight and the fan is14mm, you have 30mm left space. It could be very tricky but it could fit. The last problem are the tubing maybe it is too small to fit.

Update: I forget to say, that you can only use a 180mm long gpu because the radiator fan combination would be too high to fit under it.

How many mm's of space between the bottom of the case until it touches a reference size card?

Are you going to be offering mounting options for Pico PSU's?

I'm curious which non-reference gpus (ASUS, Msi, Gigabyte, eVGA) will fit in the case with the side panel on. Maybe when the people start receiving their cases, create a Google document for this?

How many mm's of space between the bottom of the case until it touches a reference size card?

Are you going to be offering mounting options for Pico PSU's?

Picos just plug into the motherboard... or do you mean the AC jack?

@CknSalad:
A small list for you:

Some Nvidia non-reference cards that should fit:
-MSI: GTX 970 4GD5T OC
-MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
-EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SuperClocked ACX 2.0
-GALAX GeForce GTX 970 EXOC Black Edition
-Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Mini
-Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! Edition
-ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5

Some AMD non-reference cards that should fit:
-MSI R9 290X Gaming 4G
-PowerColor Radeon R9 290 TurboDuo OC
-Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 WindForce 3X OC
- VTX3D Radeon R9 290 X-Edition V2

You have to be shure that the card isn't thicker as dualslot and not longer as 295mm.

@JoeOnePack: There are 53,5mm . Ok than the radiator will still fit. I though it was shorter :p.
I also thought about your pico-psu suggestion. I think PicoPSU is not the right way, because they haven't a PCIe powerout, but I think of adding mountingholes for the hdplex 250W on this area:
a4-sfx-dcdcboyvj.jpg

I have also a idea for a adapter for the dc jack-expander, that will fit in the area of the external AC-Power Cutout ;).

(The HDPlex 250W istn't a PicoPSU it is a DC-DC Powerboard)

Therotecly if you are using a normal SFX, only one 2,5" drive and a 170mm long gpu you can install a 120mm AIO water cooling solution on the left space behind the gpu. You need to use low profile ram to route the tubes to the cpu cooler and you have to make four holes in the left sidepanel. The radiator will get fresh air though zhe sidepanel holes.

Last edited:
Alternatively if you use a 170mm long GPU and an HDPlex PSU you could easily produce another model of the case a lot shorter!

Especially as you have done most of the design work :D

You can actually splice a 6-pin PCIe connector or two from the pico, but I wouldn't recommend going with anything over a GTX 960 in power consumption.

@ dondan

Are you going to sell this case after the crowdfunding? The reason I'm asking this is because I'm planning to upgrade my system in 2016 Q1.

@JoeOnePack:

I also thought about your pico-psu suggestion. I think PicoPSU is not the right way, because they haven't a PCIe powerout, but I think of adding mountingholes for the hdplex 250W on this area:
a4-sfx-dcdcboyvj.jpg

Thats probably where I would put it to... I think its a fantastic idea to add the ability for those that want to go this route as opposed to the SFX route.

I have also a idea for a adapter for the dc jack-expander, that will fit in the area of the external AC-Power Cutout ;).

Would love to see it.

(The HDPlex 250W istn't a PicoPSU it is a DC-DC Powerboard)

Im pretty sure the Pico PSU is a DC-DC Powerboard.

"The picoPSU is a DC to DC power supply"
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article601-page1.html

Therotecly if you are using a normal SFX, only one 2,5" drive and a 170mm long gpu you can install a 120mm AIO water cooling solution on the left space behind the gpu. You need to use low profile ram to route the tubes to the cpu cooler and you have to make four holes in the left sidepanel. The radiator will get fresh air though zhe sidepanel holes.

How much depth do I have in total from the back of the SFX to the side panel?

You can actually splice a 6-pin PCIe connector or two from the pico, but I wouldn't recommend going with anything over a GTX 960 in power consumption.

You dont need to splice anything. You can just use a Molex to 6pin PCI cable no? Like so...
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article601-page2.html

Last edited:
You could, but its cleaner and you'll have less connections that your current has to flow through.

I think a normal picopsu has not enough power on the 12v rail to provide a gtx 960m. I think it have to provide arround 12A.

Between Backside of the SFX and left sidepanel are 46,5mm.

Back