DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

A first preview of my website. (The Picture isn't final.)

>> What do you think about the design and brand-name CFORGE? <<

Furthermore i work the last days a lot on the A4 CAD-Files to make this case a bit easier to build (less parts) and improvements for the dc-powerboard mounting.

Hi dondan,

The site looks clean and pleasant.

Your branding called C-Forge kinda looks like E-Forge with the strikethrough on your logo.
I think it sounds really nice if you simply called it "Forge" but from a branding perspective it's going to be difficult using just a simple verb/noun. [Remember "The Facebook" utlimately became just "Facebook" though...]

Great to see updates from you. :)

The C standing for case (caseforge). But maybe you are right only forge is nice too. Diffenetly i will remove the "-". Other idears of names was "Impact", "Shockwave" and only "DAN".

Last edited:
The C standing for case (caseforge). But maybe you are right only forge is nice too. Diffenetly i will remove the "-". Other idears of names was "Impact", "Shockwave" and only "DAN".

I'm no expert. But somehow Forge sounds best.
DAN is the most unique in case you want a name which isn't a verb/noun.

But hey it's your product and brand, call it what you want most. :cool:

Hi guys i have a design question for the final production version? Do you more liking if the case outside panel flush with the side panels like the Cooltek UMX1 or the actual A4 Version (see 1. post) or if the sidepanel seat on the outside panel like Lian Li it does (Q08 etc.). See rendered picture of the A4. You have to know the Lian Li style Version is much more cheaper to produce.

Some pictures to make it clear:
749096-8n5j3p.jpg

1127651-2ooja5.jpg

Improvements for the production version:
- No outside screws needing for the fans.
- You can mount the hardware without mounted backside.
- Very easy mounting possibility for the dc-dc-powerboard.
- ventilation holes are now perforated

render3_22wjl6.jpg

I want this case so hard! Buttt, after the brick, the DC PSU, and the case itself, as well as not being able to use my current hard drives, this could get expensive :O however, this is the only itx case that really meets all the things I want: full size, full power GPUs in the smallest form possible. Internal PSUs, sata HDS, and CPU cooler height don't matter as much to me as gtx 780 badassery.

I would kickstart the shizz out of this.

Edit: that production case is drool worthy, I'm fine with the Lian li style if it saves some significant quid

Awesome Work Dondan, case looks impressive. I was wondering if the dimensions have changed much or not (<6L). Also, how is the progress with the thin-mitx board solution to make it 3.5L or so? Once again, good job and can't wait to see this up for sale. It's good to see fresh, innovative PC case ideals.

I think that this PC case will only encourage more companies to follow suit as Alienware and Asus has already made their proprietary 2.5L or so pc cases. I can't wait until Silverstone probably will follow suit.

I doubt other companies will produce a case like this. They tend not to stray too far away from ATX/SFX PSUs, and also tend to put GPUs in relatively 'safe' positions- without the use of a ribbon cable. Riser cards are cool and all but naturally they are less flexible than ribbons.

So it's up to you dondan!

@dondan - The A4 on the first page looks very clean the way the side panel fits. With the render you have posted above the main thing I notice is the gaps in the front and top where the bends are made. I don't think it looks bad, but the first way looks better. Any idea the cost difference between the two designs?

BTW I think the perforations look better than I was expecting, well executed.

I like how the Lian Li Q08 looks, gives it a cleaner front. I vote for that one, especially if it's cheaper.

I actual stand in contact with the producers of this risercard and maybe it is possible that it is included for the final A4. This card totally in black would be awesome. The card is PCIe Gen 3.0 ready.

pe-flex16kr-372s95.jpg

Dondan have you considered flipping the GPU? I only say this because I think a lot of people want it.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1427731/pci-express-extender-cables-benchmarked

Here cheap riser cables are reviewed. They seem to work fine so maybe you can use a longer one to flip the gpu?
Something more like this? Personal project I'll be poking at a bit more now that the SX600-G is shipping. Unless you use one of the powerboards like Dondan is using, you'd have to take the PSU out of its box to mount it to the aluminium plate in the middle of the case.

Edit: I don't want to take away from this thread. Maybe in the future there could be an A4-R (reversed/flipped GPU)?

Something more like this? Personal project I'll be poking at a bit more now that the SX600-G is shipping. Unless you use one of the powerboards like Dondan is using, you'd have to take the PSU out of its box to mount it to the aluminium plate in the middle of the case.

Wow thats pretty cool, what are the dimensions?

Edit: I don't want to take away from this thread. Maybe in the future there could be an A4-R (reversed/flipped GPU)?

What's the advantage of flipping everything like this?

What's the advantage of flipping everything like this?

Maybe you can reduce the gpu temps for 1-3°C. But this solution has too many disadvantages. For example the need of 200mm risercards (very expensive if PCIe Gen 3.0 ready) and not possible in a 100mm wide case (the drawings of his case are 110-120mm). In the first moment it looks possible, but you have to keep some rules to make the alu panels bendable. In my case is so less room i don't know how it is possible to mount a plate between motherboard and gpu like in his drawing and fix it in 100mm. In 106,5mm should it be possible (6,2L).

Last edited:
Maybe you can reduce the gpu temps for 1-3°C. But this solution has too many disadvantages. For example the need of 200mm risercards (very expensive if PCIe Gen 3.0 ready) and not possible in a 100mm wide case (the drawings of his case are 110-120mm). In the first moment it looks possible, but you have to keep some rules to make the alu panels bendable. In my case is so less room i don't know how it is possible to mount a plate between motherboard and gpu like in his drawing and fix it in 100mm. In 106,5mm should it be possible (6,2L).

If the case has to be bigger then don't do it! I guess how the gpu is now is fine.

If EVGA sold the PSU that they built into the Hadron, it would work perfectly in the case. Right next to the GPU.

Love the latest render!
My only improvements would be a power button up front, but users can do that themselves if they like and I would also prefer sfx psu, but I know this has been discussed before.
Was it possible to mount a sfx psu if it is removed from its case?

Love the latest render!
My only improvements would be a power button up front, but users can do that themselves if they like and I would also prefer sfx psu, but I know this has been discussed before.
Was it possible to mount a sfx psu if it is removed from its case?

I think the power button up front is a matter of preference really, but as you say you can do it your self I guess!

Also I found that an SFX psu might fit, but it would be difficult to mount and there might not be enough space for the connectors. Also you have to source a custom length AC extension cord, which would be expensive.

And it would look really ugly, but that's just one of my preferences!

@Killerfromsky: The inner-size of the Case is in the length 288,5mm. 170mm for the motherboard 1mm distance left the remainig room is 117,5mm. A SFX PSU is 125mm wide no chance to fit. But if you flip it so that the striped psu connectors are point to the motherboard you need only 100m this will fit. You can move the ac power-inlet because it is soldered on cables and the you are able to plug it to the power cord. But i think it isn't a good idea to strip it because of the high voltage and electromagnetic field.

in_top1.jpg

(c) "http://www.techpowerup.com"

@All: Sorry the hardwarelayout is final, i have no time to change it and there is no need for doing it. The DC Powersolution is very beautiful, powerful and silent and modders are able to mount striped sfx psu's. A Case with the same dimension and hardwarelyout and full sfx support has the dimension: 111,5x306*199mm(6,73L) vs. 99*290*199mm (5,71L). Maybe worth to think about it for the A4+.

Last edited:
Maybe worth to think about it for the A4+.
It will be worth, because with that arrangement you'll have more benefits:

1) you can use any GPU, not just those with blower type fan.

2) the GPU will get fresh air directly from outside, not from the interior.

3) almost any SFX PSU will fit, unmodded.

4) the 199mm side could be a little bit smaller (closer to 180mm), because you won't need space for fan or hdd placed there.

Just my 2 cents. I would love to buy a case like that.

Last edited:
Nice case! Still amuses me all the clamor to put an SFX PSU in it despite of all the whining over noise(even with the new 600W Silverstone). Since I got my L2 case and discovered bricks and DC-DC supplies, I don't think I'd ever go back to an SFX/ATX based case, the noise and size advantages are just too great in my present setup.

Nice case! Still amuses me all the clamor to put an SFX PSU in it despite of all the whining over noise(even with the new 600W Silverstone). Since I got my L2 case and discovered bricks and DC-DC supplies, I don't think I'd ever go back to an SFX/ATX based case, the noise and size advantages are just too great in my present setup.

Yeah honestly if your setup needs the extra watts of the SFX psu over the HDPLEX, it probably would not work in the A4 anyway!

Yeah honestly if your setup needs the extra watts of the SFX psu over the HDPLEX, it probably would not work in the A4 anyway!

Agreed, and so many design tradeoffs for a questionable return. For the price of a noisy(going by all the complaints) Silverstone SFX you can get a real nice completely silent brick/DCDC combo.

"A L S" over on OCN did a scratch version of a stripped PSU(ATX) with the GPU folded over, called it Velociraptor, came out longish but he had a lot of custom electronics in at100Wx180Hx328L but could've been trimmed to GPU length.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1256109/build-log-velociraptor

Agreed, and so many design tradeoffs for a questionable return. For the price of a noisy(going by all the complaints) Silverstone SFX you can get a real nice completely silent brick/DCDC combo.

"A L S" over on OCN did a scratch version of a stripped PSU(ATX) with the GPU folded over, called it Velociraptor, came out longish but he had a lot of custom electronics in at100Wx180Hx328L but could've been trimmed to GPU length.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1256109/build-log-velociraptor

Yeah WiSK showed me that. It's pretty impressive, especially with those opening vents!

Here are some rendered pictures of the complex version of the A4:

rendera4_1szklz.jpg

rendera4_210ka7.jpg

And a picture of the striped case. The U-Formed-Panel will be very easy to mount and remove.
rendera4_398kj9.jpg

You should update the OP with the latest news! Will this be a real product? What is the power limit? Does it come with one of those hard-to-find power adapters? Etc.

@ bAMtan2; This evening (germany time) i will update the first post.

Interesting case, no doubt!

I haven't read all posts in this thread, but couldn't find any specifics on the feet? I can't see any mouting holes for feet in the renderings either?

The suggested power supplies should be able to handle an i7 4770K and a GTX 780 Ti, both at stock clocks, so this case is in fact a potential purchase for me. :)

Two downsides I can see is having the power button on the back (personal preference: I really hate it, and I also think the front would look better with the power button there), and that the side panel is screw-mounted, making it a bit of a chore to access an air filter (e.g. a Demciflex filter covering the whole air intake for the cpu cooler, placed on the inside of the side panel). But I don't expect any changes to be made; I'll just have to accept it if I'm going to buy one. :)

The mounting of the Sidepannels is very easy i will use the Lian Li click technology. Same for the u-formed sidepannel. The powerbutton on the front is possible but i have to think about it, because i like the clean front.

Looks great dondan, I'm really excited about seeing this project being produced. And very excited to build my very own A4!

Back