DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by dondan, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Barbarian_PT

Barbarian_PT Limp Gawd

That subject was discussed. From what I recall, the conclusion was that the USB type C ins't the standard, we don't know if it will be someday and how long will it take to be (or not), and it will be more expensive.

2. jb1

jb1 Limp Gawd

Also, from the pictures it looks like the USB 3.0 port has screw mounts that could be removed if need be. So, if in the future USB C becomes ubiquitous and you would rather have that in from of the case then you could replace the USB 3.0 port that comes with the case and put a USB C port in its place.

Dondan, could you confirm if the front USB 3.0 is easily removable?

3. Aircoookie

Aircoookie Limp Gawd

You're right, it was discussed, Dan however asked Lian li and they did not yet had it in stock, but he said he might include it if it gets avaiable... So just asking ;)

4. Black5Lion

Black5Lion Limp Gawd

There are not internal USB 3.1 headers though. It'll have to be a... ugh pass-through.
    Unless you're talking USB 3.0 Type C.

5. jb1

jb1 Limp Gawd

I'm thinking more about the future-- let's say you want to use this case 5 years down the line and USB 3.1 type A or C is standard and there are headers on the motherboard. Conceivably you could just swap out that front USB 3.0 port if it's attached to the case with screws. Anyways, I'm not suggesting a design change at this point, I'm just saying that the pictures look to me like there is a screw that holds the front USB 3.0 port in place.

6. Black5Lion

Black5Lion Limp Gawd

Yeah, hopefully it'll be easy enough to replace :)

7. DG25

DG25 Gawd

You will be able to replace it, but it will not look good, the holes are very different.

8. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

The problem is the internal USB 3.1 header, I think Asrock did a internal SATA express solution, but actaully ther is no standard internal header specified.

[​IMG]

The internal USB 3.0 port in the A4-SFX is easily switchable, but i think the female 3.1-C plug is mutch more smaller as the 3.0 one.

9. backfeed

backfeed Limp Gawd

Type C will surely become the standard, I can't see why not. Type A has always been a pain in the rear cleavage region. But I don't see it in the near future. Unfortunately. :p

It was the same stupid problem with no standard internal usb header with 3.0 as well, for quite a long time. I fail to see why this consistently happens. Because Intel is reluctant to push it, secretly hoping that usb disappears so it can be replaced by Thunderbolt?

10. Black5Lion

Black5Lion Limp Gawd

11. wahaha360

wahaha360 Gawd

Hey dondan, you got a PM

12. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

Yes USB 3.1-c will become a standard, but until now they have not defined a internal plug standard for 3.1.

@wahaha360: You too ;)

13. backfeed

backfeed Limp Gawd

Intel is a major player in the usb group, and when they decide to push something (like a new standard), it usually happens. Since usb 3.0, they've been rather obviously reluctant, and have focused their effort on Thunderbolt instead. Among other things, adoption of usb 3.0 in their chipsets was painfully slow.

If they wanted to push internal 3.1 headers, it would have happened already. Same thing with the 3.0 headers.

My point is that Intel's very passive when it comes to usb.

14. iFreilicht

iFreilicht [H]ard|Gawd

Additionally, the 3.0 Headers are atrocious when it comes to vibration resistance and general stability. They just fall out so very often when you move your case around, and you can't even choose between two and one connectors like you can with 2.0.
    If they eventually make a 3.1 internal connector, they better make sure it's future proof and has a sturdy, maybe even locked connection.

15. DG25

DG25 Gawd

Seems they've changed their minds: https://thunderbolttechnology.net/blog/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-does-it-all (Thunderbolt 3 uses USB Type C connector and it's backwards compatible with USB devices, including 3.1)

It won't take more than a year to have many phones and laptops with USB type C available. Some are already announced to have it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  16. jb1

jb1 Limp Gawd

Maybe we'll get a thunderbolt 3/USB C front header someday–– thunderbolt 3 is going to be pumped through the USB-C connector, so maybe it's possible. They never did this for Thunderbolt 1 or 2 though, so maybe it's just not feasible to have control over case manufactures for an active cable from the motherboard. We can dream though!

17. backfeed

backfeed Limp Gawd

18. DG25

DG25 Gawd

Yes, but at least the external connector will be the same, i.e easy to replace without looking like crap.

19. jb1

jb1 Limp Gawd

You could still plug a USB device in over thunderbolt though, why would you want to replace it if there are thunderbolt 3 headers on your motherboard? I wouldn't mind having 4x PCI-E 3.0 accessible on the front of the system!

20. jhcpw

jhcpw n00b

Dondan, do you know if a 980 Strix would fit in the A4?

21. Barbarian_PT

Barbarian_PT Limp Gawd

22. jhcpw

jhcpw n00b

It doesn't mention the vertical space in the first post, the Strix cooler is a few cm taller than the PCI bracket.

23. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

It should fit because the MSI 4G fits too.

24. khan613

khan613 n00b

I've got a new ITX build in mind. I almost bought the components today, but I think I'd rather hold out and get this case and some compatible components.

I got my wallet ready.

Are there any further details on the release date beyond "middle of 2015"

25. Ca11idus

Ca11idus Limp Gawd

3rd quarter is more of a safe bet. Pics dwon't be ready till early July. Then you figure in 30 days for the crowdfunding followed by placing the order, manufacturing, and shipping. It will be a bit longer.

26. Ca11idus

Ca11idus Limp Gawd

Tthe msi gtx 970 gaming fits and it's 141mm tall. Would the evga gtx 980 classified fit with it's 150.88mm height? Make or break time...

27. Barbarian_PT

Barbarian_PT Limp Gawd

Probably only in 2016.

28. Aircoookie

Aircoookie Limp Gawd

I hope it will be ready when i7-6700K is released, otherwise i'll be using cardboard chassis :D :D

29. jb1

jb1 Limp Gawd

There are also several regulatory issues that Dondan mention need to be completed, so between those, the pictures, and the crowdfunding, Q4 2015/Q1 2016 seems like a safe bet to me.

Another question... how crazy would it be do some liquid cooling in this thing. Imagine a radiator sitting in the location that the SFX/L power supply would go. For power, you could use something like the HDPLEX 250W power supply which could sit at the bottom of the case. The HDPLEX 250W is 51.1mm wide, and the A4 is 114mm wide, so presumably one side would be 57mm wide so the HDPLEX power supply could sit under the GPU if you got were not using drive bracket on the bottom.

Thoughts? Is this a crazy idea? Or, a really cool, possible use in this case?

30. EdZ

EdZ Gawd

Kind of crazy, I can't think of much that would really benefit from a 120mm rad when you're constrained to what you can run off of a 250W HDPLEX.

31. bAMtan2

bAMtan2 [H]ard|Gawd

very crazy because the only reason for a water loop instead of heatpipes is to move the heat further away and spread it over a larger area, neither of which exist in this case

32. rawrr

rawrr Gawd

Well, dondan had tested an i5 and GTX 980 running off of one.

33. jb1

jb1 Limp Gawd

Well, there are several of AIO solutions for GPUs that use a 120mm rad. Presumably there would be benefit to this or they wouldn't exist? Rather than making a water loop you could just use an AIO solution with a GPU like the EVGA GTX 980 Hybrid.

Also, you could imagine using a low wattage CPU, something like the i7-4790T @ 45W with a GTX 980 @ 165W... 210W combined, seems like something the HDPLEX could handle, especially considering Dondan has tested it with an i5 and a GTX 980 as rawrr mentions.

EDIT: Looking to the future, the Skylake i7-6700T has a TDP of 35W, bringing this configuration all the way down to 200W.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  34. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

The HD-Plex idea you made could work ;) but you have to try it by your own.

Maybe a bit more easily way to use a watercoolingsolution with the A4-SFX is somtething like this:

Buy a FuryX with this watercooler:

[​IMG]

use this on your Asrock x99e-itx with a octacore:

[​IMG]

this could be placed on the bottom near the psu:

[​IMG]

Use this baby for routing the tubes out of the case;

[​IMG]

and place a radiator you want on you desk:

[​IMG]

35. jb1

jb1 Limp Gawd

Dondan, this looks amazing.

EDIT: Another thought, even crazier, what if you used an AIO type CPU cooler on the upcoming AMD R9 Nano? These new devices have HBM which sits right next to the GPU die, so maybe you could get away with not needing a huge water block since the memory would also be cooled. Then, you could place the 120mm rad directly next to the R9 Nano, allowing you to keep your SFX-L PSU AND fit a radiator...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  36. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

This will work ;) But you have to mount the radiator on the sidepanel.

37. jb1

jb1 Limp Gawd

Sweet! Wow, the possibilities. Looking forward to playing around with the case!

Thinking about the Fury X, it's 194mm long–– if you add the 120mm radiator directly next to it you get 314mm total. Given that the A4 is 318mm long maybe there is some potential there. The only thing is that the Fury X AIO radiator looks extra thick @ 63mm. Maybe one could swap the AIO cooler with a thinner one and do the same thing with the fury X?

38. Black5Lion

Black5Lion Limp Gawd

You can't just ignore the materials of the case itself :p
    It's supposed to support GPUs <=295mm only.
    I would love to pair a Fury X with 5820k though :( Too bad AMD won't let manufacturers make custom air only coolers for it :(

39. WhiteRice

WhiteRice Limp Gawd

It's like jumping a wall of dynamite. I don't want to do it, but I want to see it done.

40. Ca11idus

Ca11idus Limp Gawd

Is it possible to get a height measurement for gpus? I know that you said that the msi gtx 970 gaming fit and it sits at 141mm tall but what is the spacing with the card? Does the msi card fit with a few millimeters to spare or is it barely scraping the top of the case? Please and thank you.