DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by dondan, Dec 30, 2013.

1. ThatOtherGuy314

ThatOtherGuy314 n00b

Thanks for the link. Interesting that the Platinum hit Titanium efficiency in some tests. Right now it is more of a curiosity more than anything, does the efficiency of the Platinum PSU improve the thermals enough to cause a perceptible difference? My luck has been that things always run a little hot, so could I gain an edge by springing for a Platinum PSU or would that be better allocated towards better fans/cooling solution? Or in my case, probably cable management :D

2. Frenzy_ls

Frenzy_ls n00b

Yep almost Titanium, and the Gold is almost Platinum. I would start with the root cause and work your way from there. Thus highest efficiency possible depending on your budget constraints and sensitivity to emitted sound.

I don't quite get your reasoning though, when you mention allocating possibly better fans or cable management instead of higher PSU efficiency. Increased PSU efficiency only lowers the thermal output of the PSU itself, not the supplied components. The CPU and GPU will output the same thermals irrespective of PSU choice. With the DAN A4 the PSU thermals are venting up and directly out of the case. So if you want to reduce your system temperature, the efficiency of the PSU doesn't influence it in this case basically (unless you are recirculating the PSU output to the CPU fan input, like with an enclosed space).

rfarmer likes this.
  3. pedrofan

pedrofan n00b

I have swapped my thermalright TY-100 fan for a NF-A9x14 CHROMAX on my asetek AIO liquid cooler and my corsair sf600 power supply. They may look the same as the regular NF-A9x14 but the results are ASTONISHING.

- It has the same quiet operation.
    - Its max RPM is faster than the regular brown NF-A9x14 PWM (2200rpm vs 2500), so it is a lot better for cpu cooling.
    - It is black, so it looks a lot more elegant than the brown one.
    - It handles my 22 cores xeon e5-2696 V4 like a charm, a lot better and quietter than my old thermalright ty100 fan, max temps while rendering are 76º with all cores on turbo. This is a 155w TDP so I’m very impressed!!!

30-BE9982-CDF6-4040-A5-FA-EA9-CBA0-DA051.jpg
    (the fan in the power supply is a noctua chromax, i swapped the sticker with the original fan)

If you are going to upgrade the fan I can only recommend it!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    illram, Julio Espinosa and rfarmer like this.
  4. Jdbye

Jdbye n00b

Is the 295mm maximum GPU length with or without the bracket? I see the triple fan models available are usually around 300mm, I am assuming this is including the bracket. If 295mm is measured without the bracket, they should still fit.
    I am especially looking at the AMD Radeon 5700 XT and the Nvidia RTX 2070 Super (AMD mostly for their FreeSync over HDMI 2.0b support, it's also considerably cheaper than the 2070 Super for nearly the same performance)
    Is there a specific brand/model that is optimal for the A4-SFX as far as thermals go, while still fitting inside the case?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  5. Kozi

Kozi n00b

How is the new noctua chromax performance compared to stock fan? any idea if NF-A9x14 will also fit in SF750? I think the same fan is used in both psu's but I'm not 100% sure.

6. Jdbye

Jdbye n00b

7. Jdbye

Jdbye n00b

I did some measurements for CableMod cable lengths, and would like some input.
    I only did rough measurements with a piece of string without removing all the power cables and other cables beforehand.

I want the cables not too tight (to not put much strain on them) and with enough length to route cables optimally. But also not having so much slack that I need to bunch up wire and use cable ties/zip ties to keep it out of the way.
    With that in mind, do you think these lengths are about right?

When the motherboard is mounted in the case the connectors are in the following locations:
    EPS connector on bottom at the back.
    ATX on the bottom right next to the PSU.
    SATA data connectors on top and middle next to the PSU (I'm also buying a sleeved SATA cable)
    19245bld3.jpg

I'm considering ordering the following cable lengths:
    • 24(28) pin ATX: 150 mm (-150 mm from stock). 150 mm has to be custom ordered as it's not available in the configurator. It's the shortest ATX length they do, otherwise 100 mm might be best.

• 8 pin EPS: 250 mm (-150 mm from stock) minimum, routed along the outer edge on the bottom of the case. 300 mm (-100 mm from stock) if routing the cable behind/underneath the motherboard, which looks like it might be the optimal routing. So I will probably order 300 mm if that sounds good.

• SATA power, single plug: 100mm (-345 mm from stock, same length as the first plug on the stock cable) straight to the drive in front. The drive is plugged into the first plug on the cable right now and that is long enough. Any excess cabling between the PSU and HDD is just gonna get in the way of the intake fan so that is one place I don't want to have excess cabling.

• 6+2/6 pin PCI-e: 350 mm (only -50 mm from stock), 300 mm looks like it may be too short when routing below the HDD in front.

• SATA data cable: 30 cm (they offer 2 lengths with 30 cm being the shortest), routed underneath the PSU. Above (crossing over the PSU exhaust vent) would also be an option, but may require a longer cable, I was not sure if crossing over the PSU exhaust vent would be a good idea, and it may be hard to squeeze the cable in the front compartment where the HDD is. How do you guys route your SATA data?

Edit: After rerouting all the power cables as best as I can, I'm not so sure 250 mm is long enough for the PCI-e power. I forgot to take a close look at how much slack there is on the 400 mm stock cables, and it's all closed up now, so I'll do that later, but there didn't seem to be that much after rerouting the cables in front below the 2.5" HDD. Maybe 10 cm, just a guesstimation.
    I could not test out routing the EPS cable underneath the motherboard, as the case fan is in the way of where I wanted to put the cable through, and I didn't want to take half of the PC apart just to get free access to the fan. But I still think 300 mm and routing the cable underneath might be the way to go.

It took 1.5 hours to reroute the cables, i tried to route the PCI-e cables up along the front of the case where the HDD is before realizing it was blocking the power button piece on the outer shell, so I had to redo it. Personally, I find it fun to work on a case like this, even though it can get a bit frustrating when I have to redo my routing multiple times to find the best possible routing. It just feels so good when it's all together and I know I did a good job.

Edit2:
    I got a response from CableMod:
    That is good news. 100 mm would be even better, but 150 mm is certainly a lot better than 250 mm. Just need to finalize the PCIe power cable lengths, then I'm pretty much ready to order. I would still like some input on the SATA data cable routing though.

Also, for anyone else with custom PSU cables, what lengths did you use, what motherboard do you have, and how was the fit? (too tight, just right, some slack or a lot of slack)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020 at 10:04 AM
  8. Kozi

Kozi n00b

9. mirgus

mirgus Limp Gawd

10. Kozi

Kozi n00b

I hav

I have the same setup as yours and optimal calbe lenghts for me are as follows:
    • ATX 24pin cable - 160 mm
    • EPS 8pin/2x4pin cable - 260 mm (300mm if you want to route behind the mobo sounds about right)
    • GPU 6+2pin cable - 350 mm (routed throught the front panel)
    • SATA 5pin cable - 150 mm
    Hope this helps. Just wondering what temps are you getting on your ssd drive under the stock Asus heatsink.

11. Jdbye

Jdbye n00b

I answered you in the other thread a while ago ;) https://hardforum.com/threads/dan-a4-sfx-post-your-build-here-thread.1924512/page-2

Thanks for the info. Yeah, just checked the slack on the stock PCIe cables. There is not much slack when routed below the front HDD, max 10 cm. The softer ModFlex cables should give me a couple extra cm to work with though as they should do tighter bends. I don't even really need to get custom PCIe cables, they're just nicer looking and easier to work with. So I may order 300 mm or 350 mm, not sure yet. As for the SATA power I am sure 100 mm will work as the stock cable is 100 mm to the first plug. Any excess length between the HDD and PSU is just going to get in the way of the intake fan.

Edit: I think I will go with 350 mm for the PCIe cables since it's what you used. There does not seem to be as much as 10 cm of slack on them so I don't want to risk getting cables that are too short in case the more pliable ModFlex cables don't give me as much extra usable length as I hoped. There is a lot of slack on the EPS power cable currently, easily more than 15 cm, so I think I will go with 250 mm for the EPS cable and it should still be enough length to weave behind and underneath the motherboard. The PCIe cable is really the one thing I've been really unsure about, so I'm glad I didn't go ahead and order 250 or 300 mm.

Edit2: Made my CableMod order. Thanks for the help.
    Ended up with the following lengths:
    ATX: 150 mm
    EPS: 250 mm
    PCIe 6+2/6 pin: 350 mm
    SATA power: 100 mm

And also ordered the 30 cm SATA data cable, and some cable combs to make it all look pretty.
    Used the 20% coupon code that came with the ASUS motherboard :)
    It will take a while to ship (at least 5 weeks), as they are currently doing yearly warehouse maintenance and aren't processing orders. But got $10 off shipping, so that's not too bad.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020 at 12:01 PM