DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by dondan, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Vader

Vader [H]ardness Supreme

Anyone know the correct screw size for the Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM to mount to the Asetek 545lc properly? The fan holes have a notch inside so the screw doesn't fall through and holds the fan in place.

2. seamon

seamon n00b

Remove pcie cable and fit the fan

Jspr likes this.
  3. superray

superray n00b

This case looks really nice. I'm trying to decide between this and the Streacom DA2.

4. gujukal

gujukal n00b

Thanks, it fit, but there's so much pressure from the riser cable that the fan wont start spin ;(

5. MrWho

MrWho n00b

I'll wait for the first reports of the new v4, especially from ppl using a zero fan GPU.

That off/on/off on the desktop made me crazy, i really hope the bigger fan on the botton will solve that problem.

Still got a v2 black in the original Kickstarter box - unopened here. :/ (i think it's black, can't remember any more XD)

6. juaninamilli

juaninamilli n00b

Any word on a release date for V4?

tyen_ and Rorschach like this.
  7. mirgus

mirgus Limp Gawd

I have never had problems with my msi gtx 1070.. The fan is never running in desktop modus. My card isn't running hotter in the Dan compared to my old define s

8. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

Ha. Yeah I've got a black v1 and a Ghost S1 sitting in my closet in their boxes. The silver v1 build from 2 years ago is still doing it for me..... For now *evil laugh*

9. Hanakuso

Hanakuso [H]ard|Gawd

I believe he said late Q1/early Q2 and prototype is in production

juaninamilli likes this.
  10. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

Today I got the A4-SFXv4 samples. I will show some pictures tomorrow on day light. I love USB Type-C XD

dglow, bAMtan2, Lazer1337 and 8 others like this.
  11. juaninamilli

juaninamilli n00b

12. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

Some pictures of the A4-SFXv4

20190202_123554gjjxo.jpg
    20190202_123717b0j4z.jpg
    20190202_123641s2kil.jpg
    20190202_123648o3kp2.jpg

Regards
    Daniel

13. Hanakuso

Hanakuso [H]ard|Gawd

Is that a normal sized 92mm fan on the bottom?

14. keshon

keshon n00b

I suspect it's 92x92x14mm. There is not much space at the bottom below motherboard. On my v1 the fan cannot be fitted due to extra mm of motherborad protrusion. On v4 the clearance has been increased.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  15. Uwe2

Uwe2 n00b

Great, I like the v4!

16. Teddy270

Teddy270 n00b

dear all,
    Due to financial issues, I never got around to build my new rig with the v2 of the case I ordered through the kickstarter campaign way back then. Fortunately, things have settled down now and I finally have ordered the parts so I can build them into the dan case v2 and I need some help with something (with this the first time I'm putting together a desktop). I've gone for the Ryzen 2700x cpu,
    ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac along with the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4. According to Noctua, the "Noctua NH-L9a-AM4" can handle the 2700x as long as I "set the TDP limit in your UEFI/BIOS to the officially stated TDP value for your SKU/CPU model." ... the question I have is, am I understanding it correctly that I need to change the TDP of the cooler to match the CPU? and if yes, has any of you ever done that? Many thanks in advance.

17. Tician

Tician n00b

You need to change the power allowed to the CPU to stay within what the cooler can handle. You do that from the motherboard's BIOS settings.

18. Primus 3pic

Primus 3pic n00b

Hanakuso, are you still selling your 90mm AIO (as posted on another thread)?

19. Teddy270

Teddy270 n00b

many thanks

20. irebel

irebel n00b

21. Hanakuso

Hanakuso [H]ard|Gawd

Yes

22. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

I broke one of my side panel plastic clip (the ones in the case that receive the prong)
    Dondan, where can I get a replacement? Thx

Here's some random pictures of my case to get your attention.

f5nD67N.jpg
    N1WIFdm.jpg

23. jakkuftw

jakkuftw n00b

dondan, did you try to design without top plate skrews? It would be perfect without it.

24. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

25. galletabah

galletabah Limp Gawd

26. Nanook

Nanook Limp Gawd

I don't see them on SFFLAB anymore. If you google for Lian Li toolless clip, or Lian Li front panel clips, you may find it on some other online stores (performance pc, overclockers in uk, ebay, etc)

mcheddadi and Julio Espinosa like this.
  27. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

oh well, might get an answer from dondan next year lol

28. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

29. tyen_

tyen_ n00b

Julio Espinosa likes this.
  30. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

31. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

Thanks man, depending on if dondan RMA process works or not I might have to try those 3d printed ones

32. Frenzy_ls

Frenzy_ls n00b

It's just fastening clips, RMA seems a very overkill process. Let alone bothering to reach Dan for this.
    I broke one of these clips trying to pry it out of my Ncase because of space needed for a tall Gfx card.

5 clip sets in stock at overclockers (female side should fit).
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-li-pt-jt03-front-panel-clip-kit-ca-738-ll.html

www.Caseking.de also has them.

33. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

Well you know an extra set of clips would have prevented this. It's not like they cost a lot and I wouldn't have minded paying 5cent more per clips in my original order but I digress...

34. Lazer1337

Lazer1337 Limp Gawd

Although I agree of the RMA being a bit overkill, dondan linked him the rma page of his website in response to his question about the clips.

35. Jdbye

Jdbye n00b

I have some concerns regarding compatibility, thought you guys would know better than anyone how to answer them.
    I have an A4-SFX v2 I got from Kickstarter but have yet to build anything in.
    I looked at the Z390 Mini-ITX motherboard options available, and I noticed they all have heatsinks rather close to the CPU socket. Will that be a problem with the Cooltek LP53, considering the heatpipes that protrude from it? How much clearance is there really for the CPU heatsink on motherboards like the Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS Pro Wifi and the ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming? The ASUS looks like it might be problematic seeing as it has heatsinks on 3 sides of the CPU socket, and RAM on the 4th side. But maybe the heatpipes on the Cooltek LP53 will clear the RAM, or one of the heatsinks as they are not all the same height?
    Looking at the features of the available Z390 Mini-ITX boards those two are my top choices, but I would prefer the ASUS if it will fit the Cooltek LP53.

The ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX is also an option, but I don't like the design of it, and comparing it with the Gigabyte visually (by overlaying images of both on eachother) it looks to have the heatsinks positioned the exact same distance away from the CPU socket, so it likely wouldn't offer any better compatibility with CPU coolers. I guess there is some sort of standard for minimum clearance that I'm not aware of. The ASUS definitely appears to have larger heatsinks though.

Also, what are the exact dimensions of the Cooltek LP53 including the heatpipes?

As you might be able to tell, this is my first SFF build, and I want to make sure I don't order the wrong parts and end up having to return them because they won't fit together..

Does the v2 not support 15mm drives in the drive bay? Or is that only an issue with v3? When I backed the v2 Kickstarter, it said that it did, and that is a pretty big deal to me as internal storage options are limited otherwise with the biggest standard 2.5" drives being 2TB.

36. weaponxp

weaponxp n00b

Hello All. I want to do a new build with Dan's case. I am planing to use EVGA 2080TI Hybrid. I want to know if I can also use 92mm AiO for the CPU. Please, can anyone who has installed 120mm AiO on Motherboard Side see if there is enough clearance to install 92mm AiO.
    Pictures or diagrams would be nice and helpful! Please.

Thank You Very Much!

37. dglow

dglow [H]Lite

This should help. All measurements are eyeballed in-case, and may be off by a mm or two.

myLP-53.jpg

Nanook and Jspr like this.
  38. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

This is cute and all, but I just don't understand why everyone is freaking out about tiny cases. Just put the Full Tower on the floor where it belongs, and it doesn't take up any desk space. Size is suddenly not an issue, you haven't given up any of the expansion options you do with a tiny case, and you can use massive quiet cooling, if you so please.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  39. dglow

dglow [H]Lite

I completely agree. It's really tricky fitting a troll-shaped case on top of a desk. :android:

40. Nanook

Nanook Limp Gawd

But. But... Small form factor is a way of life!