DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Some pictures of the A4-SFXv4

20190202_123554gjjxo.jpg

20190202_123717b0j4z.jpg

20190202_123641s2kil.jpg

20190202_123648o3kp2.jpg

Regards
Daniel

Is that a normal sized 92mm fan on the bottom?
I suspect it's 92x92x14mm. There is not much space at the bottom below motherboard. On my v1 the fan cannot be fitted due to extra mm of motherborad protrusion. On v4 the clearance has been increased.

Last edited:
dear all,
Due to financial issues, I never got around to build my new rig with the v2 of the case I ordered through the kickstarter campaign way back then. Fortunately, things have settled down now and I finally have ordered the parts so I can build them into the dan case v2 and I need some help with something (with this the first time I'm putting together a desktop). I've gone for the Ryzen 2700x cpu,
ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac along with the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4. According to Noctua, the "Noctua NH-L9a-AM4" can handle the 2700x as long as I "set the TDP limit in your UEFI/BIOS to the officially stated TDP value for your SKU/CPU model." ... the question I have is, am I understanding it correctly that I need to change the TDP of the cooler to match the CPU? and if yes, has any of you ever done that? Many thanks in advance.

dear all,
Due to financial issues, I never got around to build my new rig with the v2 of the case I ordered through the kickstarter campaign way back then. Fortunately, things have settled down now and I finally have ordered the parts so I can build them into the dan case v2 and I need some help with something (with this the first time I'm putting together a desktop). I've gone for the Ryzen 2700x cpu,
ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac along with the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4. According to Noctua, the "Noctua NH-L9a-AM4" can handle the 2700x as long as I "set the TDP limit in your UEFI/BIOS to the officially stated TDP value for your SKU/CPU model." ... the question I have is, am I understanding it correctly that I need to change the TDP of the cooler to match the CPU? and if yes, has any of you ever done that? Many thanks in advance.
You need to change the power allowed to the CPU to stay within what the cooler can handle. You do that from the motherboard's BIOS settings.

I don't see them on SFFLAB anymore. If you google for Lian Li toolless clip, or Lian Li front panel clips, you may find it on some other online stores (performance pc, overclockers in uk, ebay, etc)

Thanks man, depending on if dondan RMA process works or not I might have to try those 3d printed ones

It's just fastening clips, RMA seems a very overkill process. Let alone bothering to reach Dan for this.
I broke one of these clips trying to pry it out of my Ncase because of space needed for a tall Gfx card.

5 clip sets in stock at overclockers (female side should fit).
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-li-pt-jt03-front-panel-clip-kit-ca-738-ll.html

www.Caseking.de also has them.

Well you know an extra set of clips would have prevented this. It's not like they cost a lot and I wouldn't have minded paying 5cent more per clips in my original order but I digress...

It's just fastening clips, RMA seems a very overkill process. Let alone bothering to reach Dan for this.
I broke one of these clips trying to pry it out of my Ncase because of space needed for a tall Gfx card.

5 clip sets in stock at overclockers (female side should fit).
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-li-pt-jt03-front-panel-clip-kit-ca-738-ll.html

www.Caseking.de also has them.
Although I agree of the RMA being a bit overkill, dondan linked him the rma page of his website in response to his question about the clips.

I have some concerns regarding compatibility, thought you guys would know better than anyone how to answer them.
I have an A4-SFX v2 I got from Kickstarter but have yet to build anything in.
I looked at the Z390 Mini-ITX motherboard options available, and I noticed they all have heatsinks rather close to the CPU socket. Will that be a problem with the Cooltek LP53, considering the heatpipes that protrude from it? How much clearance is there really for the CPU heatsink on motherboards like the Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS Pro Wifi and the ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming? The ASUS looks like it might be problematic seeing as it has heatsinks on 3 sides of the CPU socket, and RAM on the 4th side. But maybe the heatpipes on the Cooltek LP53 will clear the RAM, or one of the heatsinks as they are not all the same height?
Looking at the features of the available Z390 Mini-ITX boards those two are my top choices, but I would prefer the ASUS if it will fit the Cooltek LP53.

The ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX is also an option, but I don't like the design of it, and comparing it with the Gigabyte visually (by overlaying images of both on eachother) it looks to have the heatsinks positioned the exact same distance away from the CPU socket, so it likely wouldn't offer any better compatibility with CPU coolers. I guess there is some sort of standard for minimum clearance that I'm not aware of. The ASUS definitely appears to have larger heatsinks though.

Also, what are the exact dimensions of the Cooltek LP53 including the heatpipes?

As you might be able to tell, this is my first SFF build, and I want to make sure I don't order the wrong parts and end up having to return them because they won't fit together..

Hi guys here are all changes for A4-SFX v4

- ADT 185mm PCIe x16 gen 3 riser
- USB 3.0 Typ-C to 20pin intrnal header (90% confirmed)
- changed to the drive bay so it will support 15mm thick drives
- added thread for easy installation of custom window kits
- adding 92mm fan support under the motherboard
- lifting up motherboard for better bottom fan clearance
- the 120mm AIO bracket will not be included and an optional part on SFFLab

View attachment 131127

View attachment 131128

View attachment 131129

View attachment 131130

View attachment 131131

With best regards
Daniel
Does the v2 not support 15mm drives in the drive bay? Or is that only an issue with v3? When I backed the v2 Kickstarter, it said that it did, and that is a pretty big deal to me as internal storage options are limited otherwise with the biggest standard 2.5" drives being 2TB.

Hello All. I want to do a new build with Dan's case. I am planing to use EVGA 2080TI Hybrid. I want to know if I can also use 92mm AiO for the CPU. Please, can anyone who has installed 120mm AiO on Motherboard Side see if there is enough clearance to install 92mm AiO.
Pictures or diagrams would be nice and helpful! Please.

Thank You Very Much!

I have some concerns regarding compatibility, thought you guys would know better than anyone how to answer them.
I have an A4-SFX v2 I got from Kickstarter but have yet to build anything in.

Also, what are the exact dimensions of the Cooltek LP53 including the heatpipes?

As you might be able to tell, this is my first SFF build, and I want to make sure I don't order the wrong parts and end up having to return them because they won't fit together..

This should help. All measurements are eyeballed in-case, and may be off by a mm or two.

myLP-53.jpg

This is cute and all, but I just don't understand why everyone is freaking out about tiny cases. Just put the Full Tower on the floor where it belongs, and it doesn't take up any desk space. Size is suddenly not an issue, you haven't given up any of the expansion options you do with a tiny case, and you can use massive quiet cooling, if you so please.

Last edited:
This is cute and all, but I just don't understand why everyone is freaking out about tiny cases. Just put the Full Tower on the floor where it belongs, and it doesn't take up any deks space. Size is suddenly not an issue, you haven't given up any of the expansion options you do with a tiny case, and you can use massive quiet cooling, if you so please.

I completely agree. It's really tricky fitting a troll-shaped case on top of a desk. :android:

This is cute and all, but I just don't understand why everyone is freaking out about tiny cases. Just put the Full Tower on the floor where it belongs, and it doesn't take up any desk space. Size is suddenly not an issue, you haven't given up any of the expansion options you do with a tiny case, and you can use massive quiet cooling, if you so please.
But. But... Small form factor is a way of life!

And when you want to go to a LAN or take it on a trip and throw it in a backpack, oh wait you can't do that with full tower.

See the last item in the Noctua FAQ for NH-L12S. It has to do with gravity working against the wicking action in the heat pipes.

Hmm, I see. I've read others cite a supposed airflow benefit to a vertical orientation for the fins, but I couldn't achieve that orientation with this motherboard.

What you shared is the first heat pipe orientation advice I've seen from a manufacturer. I wish Cooltek said the same. Let me see if the pipes will clear the VRM board on the bottom.

Thanks!

It will not fit because it is more than 2 Slots.

Hello Dan. I want to do a new build with your case. I am planing to use EVGA 2080TI Hybrid. I want to know if I can also use 92mm AiO for the CPU when I install 120mm AiO on Motherboard Side.

Thank You

Gr8 b8 m8

Though really, it's portability. Maybe we can't fit big ass coolers or such to push high spec components to the limit but we can still use i7s and the best GPUs, just in a pretty metal shoebox that we can take just about anywhere. I backpacked my A4-SFX, keyboard and mouse, keyboard wrist rest, a 15 inch HDMI monitor, a PS4 controller, my wireless headset and all of the required cables just the other week on foot and was set up again at my destination in about 10 minutes tops. And I didn't break my back doing so

Attachments

• 20190214_113237.jpg
    20190214_113237.jpg
    674.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190214_115128.jpg
    20190214_115128.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 0
Back