DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by dondan, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Momo777

Momo777 n00b

dondan The PNY 2080 Ti XLR8 OC is not compatible with the Dan case. It's 1-3mm too long.

If you push it in it can fit but the card scrapes against the inside of the case. This won't work with the 92mm AIO as the card hits one of the tubes.

It's a shame as I have to return the case now due to a few mm.

2. ranker2

ranker2 n00b

Is this confirmed?

I don't mind if it scrapes against the case. So long as it fits I'll be ok. I'm a bit curious as to how it won't work with the Asetek 92mm AIO. It shouldn't matter as you can bend the tubes beneath the card right?

I just bought the exact same card card and haven't even opened the box yet.

3. pedrofan

pedrofan n00b

Hi Dan,

I think that you should consider to put the power supply at the bottom, so the liquid cooling radiators can breath clean air from the top:

(image is reversed)

wjo0syy-jpg.jpg

Gains are noticeable between -22% and -15% lower temps:

96ºC vs 75ºC in push >> -21ºC (and you don’t fry the table nor the internals)

84ºC vs 71ºC in pull >> -13ºC

Yo may also consider to cut down the space where the power supply cable connector is located to leave more space for the aio fan and psu cables in the opposite side.

qab322i-jpg.jpg

It is the only thing that lasts to become the perfect case and it is a small modification.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Woxys, Julio Espinosa and Nanook like this.
  4. Hanakuso

Hanakuso [H]ard|Gawd

I thought one of the V4 improvements were to move the PSU bracket up? If that’s the case then I think Dan wants to keep V1-V4 PSU brackets interchangeable

5. Quantum_x3

Quantum_x3 n00b

Hello, I´ve got a question:
    I ve got a ryzen 7 2700x cooled the aluminium version of the Cryorig C7 ( stock fan replaced with a noctua) and one case fan by noctua. Athough i am pretty happy with the low noise, I´ve got some heat issues:
    My CPU is ideling around 45 C tdie and when I start to stress it with the Stress Tool of CPU-Z, after 50 seconds with the sidepanal on and after 2 miutes with the sidepanal off the CPU reaches 85 C tdie and begins to throttel. After I read that other users don´t have heat issues with the C7 and a Noctua fan, i am a bit confused and worried. I´ ve also read about bad soldered heatpipes in the Alpenföhn Black Ridge which then had also a very bad performence, which made me think of problems with my C7. So, are my heat problems normal for this case and especially fpr this cooler or are there other reasons for these temperatures? I would be gald if i could get some tips for lowering my temperatures. :)

6. QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced Gawd

Those temp differences are amazing. Do you know what the the clearance is between the floor of the case and the surface it's placed on? I know for the M1 it's about 1cm and that's barely enough, I'm curious what it is for the A4-SFX. I was interested in the new Mjolnir I case because it has bottom 120mm fans, supports a 120mm AIO and has window panels, which in theory solves the air pressure/dust control/CPU cooling issues of the A4-SFX has for an extra 2.5L of volume, which to me is worth it. However, that case only has 5mm of clearance for the bottom fans which seems highly insufficient, reducing airflow greatly, and honestly rendering them almost useless. And they refuse to change the design, so it's a deal breaker for me unfortunately, but now I'm wondering how much clearance the A4-SFX has. Granted, the Asetek 92mm AIO is going away and the A4-SFX relies more heavily on side intake, so it's not as bottom-intake dependent and can get away with less, but... just curious.

7. pedrofan

pedrofan n00b

With the stock feet the distance between the table and the case is more or less 5mm. It doesn’t matter if you put the fan in pull or push, It makes ground effect so it loses a lot of efficiency.

The temps I’m showing are by turning the case upsidedown, so you clear the air intake (or exhaust), so the ground effect is gone and the intake (outake) flow is maximized.

8. juaninamilli

juaninamilli n00b

Is there an ETA on V4? Looking forward to joining the club.

Jspr likes this.
  9. seamon

seamon n00b

Rig update: I managed to fit 3x5TB HDDs inside this case.
    BKdVama.jpg
    cJSeQGU.jpg
    s0dcilh.jpg
    X6xlpwH.jpg
    d83QxrL.jpg

Specs are

Intel core i9 9900K
    Nvidia RTX 2080Ti
    2x16GB Corsair LPX 2800Mhz RAM
    Corsair SF600
    Samsung 970 EVO 2TB
    Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
    Crucial MX500 2TB
    3x Seagate 2.5" 5TB HDDs

Seriously though, I feel I am addicted to cramming. Where do I go from here? There's nothing left to upgrade :(

10. QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced Gawd

That is neutron star-like density. How are the HDDs attached, double sided tape?

What cooler are you using, how are the temps on the 9900K?

And what feet are you using? Usually aftermarket feet look bad, but these look nice.

11. seamon

seamon n00b

LP53+TY100
    90-95C in AIDA64

12. RedSawn

RedSawn [H]Lite

3rd gen Ryzen looks tempting seeing the press and such surrounding it... A4 AM4 builders, what CPU cooler do you have? I'd be sticking to air and all I know that works and is effective are the L9a, L9I with AM4 brackets and both C7s.

I suppose anyone can answer this bit though since it's compatible with both Intel/AMD, does the Cryorig C7/Noctua A9x14 combo eliminate the infamous C7 turbulence?

13. mirgus

mirgus Limp Gawd

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Julio Espinosa and rfarmer like this.
  14. Hanakuso

Hanakuso [H]ard|Gawd

In anticipation of the V4 I played around and tested different fans on my NH-L9i and the best sound/performance was the Gentle Typhoon. It’s too bad they’re hard to find nowadays in the small version

15. FossilX

FossilX n00b

A bit late but here is my A4-SFX v2 setup.

Cpu- Ryzen 5 2600x
    Motherboard - ROG Strix X470-I Gaming
    16GB of RAM
    970 EVO 500GB x2
    Nvidia 1070 FE
    PSU - SF600
    AIO - Asetek 545lc

itx.jpg itx2.jpg

Vader, Nanook, juaninamilli and 5 others like this.
  16. tyen_

tyen_ n00b

Turns out a 40mm fan fits nicely at the back of the case above the GPU.

A 40x20mm Noctua fan means it's near silent and it does a really good job of pushing air.

I cut it out using a holesaw, and cleaned up using a Dremel to get rid of the rough edges. A little black paint helped cover it up.
    The fan had to be modified slightly by rounding one of the edges. This wouldn't have been necessary if I had properly planned the holes and cut closer to the side of the case.

IMG_20181209_174642.jpg

Julio Espinosa, Jspr and Nanook like this.
  17. duke00

duke00 n00b

How high are the temps difference with and without this 40mm fan ?

18. Mr-S

Mr-S n00b

so built a new system in the A4-SFX V3 this xmas costing me £2,500 was really excited !! and got the blackridge low profile cooler for the system for it to be recalled !! so having to make do with another cooler for the time being. Overclockers UK has sent me two replacement blackridge coolers in the meantime both faulty and now sent a 3rd one out with no guarantee if this one is faulty or not. this cooler is massive pain in the ass

19. tyen_

tyen_ n00b

The temperatures are exactly the same where the GPU temp caps out at ~68. However the gpu fan speed is lowered by a fraction.

I've put the logs up here.

All in all, it does very little.

20. Julio Espinosa

Julio Espinosa [H]Lite

Does anybody know if the HDPLEX 400W AC-DC fits in the case (under the Graphics Card or over it), with the HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX PSU?
    If so, you could use the space where the SFX PSU would fit, to get a bigger CPU radiator, right?

21. ezeftw

ezeftw n00b

If anyone is looking for a bag to transport the case, the Meta Threads Lvl3 is perfect. Really easy to transport the A4 / laptop / keyboard / etc

richiegore likes this.
  22. gujukal

gujukal n00b

Im about to start building my dan a4 but need a cooler. Would a cryorig c7 copper be the best choice and is it worth 22€ more than the regular c7? I was thinking of buying the alpenföhn black ridge but it seems to be discontinued?

23. PantherB

PantherB n00b

The BlackRidge is suppoosed to come back in February, at least in Germany.

24. gujukal

gujukal n00b

Do you think it's worth to wait? I can probably use an Intel stock cooler for my 6700k until it's available.

25. pedrofan

pedrofan n00b

Hi Seamon, where did you find those feet for the case?

26. ztjio

ztjio n00b

If you actually run your CPU at true stock performance levels (yes, this means you'll have to change your motherboard's default settings most likely, as they often enable things like multi-core enhancement which is just another kind of OC) then you can use whatever cooler you want that fits, pretty much. Anything on par or better than the stock cooler will do.

Personally I have very good success with the Noctua NH L9i. I did swap the fan for the NF-A9 PWM. (Please note, I'm not referring to the redux version. the "redux" version of this fan is an old design with garbage performance compared to the current. It's not just a gray version of the current fan!)

27. PantherB

PantherB n00b

I actually just upgraded to vlp ram 2x16gb innodisk b-dies dual rank 2400MHz for the BlackRidge. Just starting to OC them right now ;)

28. MikeyB

MikeyB Limp Gawd

Just ordered mine today. Don’t even have anything to put in. I kind of want to do a lightweight gaming rig with lower power requirements and low noise output.

29. gujukal

gujukal n00b

I tried the small intel stock cooler today (250 gram with fan) and damn it gets hot, around 80 degrees with 50% load on all cores (6700k stock speed). The fan might be broken though since it seems to be pretty low rpm almost silent even with turbo fan profile. Those delta fans on stock coolers would get pretty loud from what i remember.

richiegore likes this.
  30. Vader

Vader [H]ardness Supreme

Intel 8086k
    Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX
    16GB Vengeance DDR4 3200
    970 PROs 512GB x2
    Evga RTX 2080 Black
    Corsair SF600 w/sleeved cables
    Asetek 545lc w/Noctua

Not quite finished yet, still have a lot to do:
    1. Need to get correct size screws for proper Noctua Fan Mounting to the AIO
    2. Cable mgmt..what a nightmare in this case. Have to rethink the main power cable, that's the only thing that's sticking out like a sore thumb.
    3. Windows 10 Pro install/slimming down for Gaming
    3. Stress Testing/Temperature Testing and Overclocking (This chip ran at 5.2Ghz on my Maximus Z390 Hero)
    4. Game optimization
    5. Maybe window mod(s) we'll see.

25k38s8.jpg

2zh0gev.jpg

Julio Espinosa, Engr62 and Lazer1337 like this.
  31. tyen_

tyen_ n00b

My wish for the V4 is to have additional threaded holes on the base to allow for easier custom feet.

32. UnknownBeast

UnknownBeast n00b

I've been wanting to have this case for years.

Waited for the HSLP-48... then Black Ridge... then the fixed version of that cooler.. then gotta wait for the V4... >_<

33. gujukal

gujukal n00b

Is it possible to fit a slim 92 mm fan below the motherboard and graphics card? It kinda looks like it would be possible but the pci riser may be in the way. I think it would help with the airflow a lot.

34. UnknownBeast

UnknownBeast n00b

35. ezeftw

ezeftw n00b

Would it really help with the temps? I'm really curious about this bottom fan

36. Hanakuso

Hanakuso [H]ard|Gawd

Me too.

I'm hoping it reduces all temps just slightly since it's in the direct air path of so many components, including rear sided M.2 SSDs

37. gujukal

gujukal n00b

How did you mount that bottom 92mm fan below motherboard? No cutting on the case?
    Maybe a few degrees improvement, should improve the temp on the m2 drive a lot.

38. Lazer1337

Lazer1337 Limp Gawd

Main power cable doesn’t look so bad. What are you thinking of doing for it?

39. Vader

Vader [H]ardness Supreme

I'm thinking a custom length cable.

40. Vader

Vader [H]ardness Supreme

Anyone know the correct screw size for the Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM to mount to the Asetek 545lc properly? The fan holes have a notch inside so the screw doesn't fall through and holds the fan in place.