DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by dondan, Dec 30, 2013.

1. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

150mm for ATX 24 pin, 250mm for EPS 8 pin and 300mm for PCIE. This was for the Asus strix z270i, your mobo layout may dictate different lengths.

2. Vcom

Vcom n00b

I have no experience with the Blackridge. Sorry i can not compare it with the L9a. With the L9a i still have the IO shield in place.

richiegore likes this.
  3. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

Hi everyone,

It looks like the new Alpenfön Black Ridge has some manufacturing problems. Some heatpipes are not soldered correctly with the base. Maybe you know I can’t give support by myself because it is not my product. My name is only printed on the carton because I helped EKL Alpenfön in the development process. However I forward the manufacturing problems to EKL and they ask me if I can post the following statement (I translate it from German to English):

“Dear customers, the first review samples were not affected by the problem, so we start producing the first batch with a rush order. This first batch is affected by the problem and is a result from quick manufacturing. We are very sorry about it. All already ready new batches and future batches will not have this problem. We informed all resellers. The resellers will contact you for a replacement process. We guarantee an easy replacement of the product. We feel very sorry that this happened due to quick manufacturing and we ask your forgiveness. - EKL”

Furthermore they confirmed that the current version with bad soldering will not perform as good as the flawless version. So everyone will get a new flawless version.

With best regards
    Daniel Hansen

TudorAdrian and Jspr like this.
  4. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

Interesting. So jury is still out on how this cooler stacks up. Good for them for agreeing to replace everyone's first batch, that can't be cheap.

richiegore likes this.
  5. SkorpioNElite

SkorpioNElite n00b

Thar's what you get when you rush everything and ignore quality management. Nonetheless, the second batch will be ordered.

6. Mr-S

Mr-S n00b

hi Don thank you for the update is there anyway we can tell if we are affected by the problem? I just got mine today or is it better to assume we are effected and contact the reseller?

7. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

Everyone is effected.

8. Mr-S

Mr-S n00b

thank you don I have been in contact with Overclockers and sending the cooler back :( sadly they have no news or eta on replacement stock so I am short of a good cooler for my new system for the time being :(

9. Mr-S

Mr-S n00b

hi guys so ive been looking at cpu coolers with my black ridge being returned and I found the Silverstone AR11 it comes in at 47mm and from reviews out performs the NH-L9i but some what more noise.
    I got the i7-9700k 95tdp cpu and the AR11 reviews can cool it but I think the fan needs replacing I just think a more capable fan that delivers higher pressure and lower noise levels will improve things slightly.

so do any one have any suggestions for fans ?

10. richiegore

richiegore Limp Gawd

I think I would just stick with the l9i, especially if you make a fan duct to pull cold air in from outside the case. You can make simple ones with plastic sheet and foam tape or people have 3d printed them.

11. Wally Simmonds

Wally Simmonds [H]Lite

Hi guys,
    Have my Dancase in transit and am going with some recycled gear from my old build and some new gear. Have a Asus stix 470, and will be populating that with a Ryzen 1700 from another machine (unless a decent deal comes up on a 2600 in the next few days). I'm also recycling a 1080ti FE, and have purchased a SF600 for the PSU. For storage I'm going with a combo of a 970 evo and I'm hoping to recycle a couple of 500GB 2.5 SSD's if they do not interrupt airflow. Lastly I've ordered a L9A for the cpu cooler as well as a separate A9X 92mm fan for the bottom of the case (however I'm not sure about this if I want to use all my SSD's).

Now I'm probably going to have to undervolt the 1700 to reduce heat but people here have mentioned building a shroud for the V3 and cpu cooler. Are there any guides on this or anything I can purchase to pump out the air/suck in the air properly? Also, is my 1080TI FE going to case me problems (I've read that this can cause issues with the M2 SSD due to the heat distribution on the blower style cards).

Lastly, does the 92MM help much - I've seen people with two, should I order another to help?

Apologies for these noobie questions, first time SFF builder here and all that =)

12. richiegore

richiegore Limp Gawd

No need to undervolt the 1700, works great with an L9a, no need for a fanduct either. That said, I still made a fanduct for mine but I just like to tinker! I have 2 hard drives under my PSU too, I don't think the extra 92mm fan will make much difference for you as you have a blower style GPU.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  13. Mr-S

Mr-S n00b

so I went with the AR11 Silverstone cpu cooler in the end and the noctua 92mm 14mm fan. I am very happy with the cooler even tho I hate the brown fan lol the asus rtx 2080ti turbo is nice being a blower. I found the a4-sfx v3 very easy to build in and I havnt suffered from any thermal throttling yet from my 2x m2 drives

Julio Espinosa and richiegore like this.
  14. havelock99

havelock99 n00b

Has anyone tried putting a fan in the rear of the case on the bottom to get better air flow over the mobo?

I have a 92mm noctua as intake in the front hdd spot, but that doesn't seem optimal as it basically directs air over the power supply.

It looks like I have room for at least a 40mmx15mm if not a 60mmx10 - 15mm fan between the edge of the mobo and the bottom of the case.

When I'm running prime95 that lower back corner feels hot to the touch. I'm using the black ridge which has vertical fins so more upward airflow seems like it would help. (I'm hitting about 90c with avx workloads and sub 70c for others, so in general I think I'm fine, but I'd like to be safe here - 9600k, -30mV).

Noctua only offers a slim 40mm fan but not a 60. Any recommendations or experience here? Thanks!

15. FinBuilder

FinBuilder n00b

Look at these two builds and go for a bigger fan, thats what I'm planning to do when I'm taking my mobo off the next time. I don't know the results for that fan though...
    https://hardforum.com/threads/dan-a...in-the-world.1799326/page-349#post-1043562021
    https://hardforum.com/threads/dan-a...in-the-world.1799326/page-369#post-1043951530

16. havelock99

havelock99 n00b

Wow those are interesting. From eyeballing it I didn't think the 92mm would fit, but I think I even have the same mobo as the first one.(oops I don't - they have an x299 and I have a z390)

17. EvoFreak

EvoFreak Limp Gawd

Hello. I just got this case and im loving the size of it. Im currently using an strix 1080ti which is 2.5 slot. It fits in the case but without side panel on. My question is it worth it to trade my strix for founder edition? How hot does founder edition run on this case with lid on? Thanks

18. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

Hot. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner. I’d look for a quieter solution than the FE.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    richiegore likes this.
  19. ranker2

ranker2 n00b

I've built another Dan case build for use when I'm stationed overseas in south east asia. My thermals are horrendous and I'm wondering if by going with a blower RTX 2080 Ti, i'll be able to achieve overall better thermals. Right now I'm using an 8800k with an Asetek 92mm AIO and have been using a Nvidia FE RTX 2080 Ti. I'm considering getting the ASUS blower model and moving the FE into another computer of mine.

Any insight on whether going blower will result in better thermals?

20. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

What are the temps for GPU and CPU? Please let me also know what test do you use to validate temps.

21. myzhi1

myzhi1 n00b

Blower style hits thermal faster and are much louder. Personally, if I could back from a 2080Ti FE, I would go with 3rd party, like MSI Duke 2080Ti 7C less under load and quieter.

22. Tellisdon

Tellisdon n00b

The MSI Duke 20XX looks like a great successor to the EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3, one of the few 3-fan RTX cards that's not 3 slots, but will it fit length-wise?
    Looks like a couple of people have shown they can fit card thicker than the official specs recommend [1], but how much tolerance is there in the length dimension?

[1]

23. blno

blno n00b

No it won't fit. It's 314mm in length; the Dan A4 accepts up to 306mm. The FTW3 is 300mm.
    Also it would be extremely tight in thickness at 46mm. The Dan A4 accepts 45mm; the entire clearance is 47mm but you need some remaining clearance. I wouldn't do it just for that anyway, the fans would be at 0.5mm of the grid, making turbulence noise.

Your best option for 3 fans is the Gigabyte Windforce (NOT the Gaming).

Tellisdon likes this.
  24. oblongpolygon

oblongpolygon [H]Lite

Does anyone know if the ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2070 OC Edition 8GB will fit in the Dan A4?

25. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

oblongpolygon likes this.
  26. oblongpolygon

oblongpolygon [H]Lite

Thanks, dondan - I guess I got a bit confused about the measurements, so wanted to check with the community.

It seems, also, that some stores (like the one I tend to use) give incorrect measurements - see the "specs" tab in the link below, for an irritating demonstration of that...

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA/74656-ROG-STRIX-RTX2070-O8G-GAMING

It's listed there as 4.89cm thick (or 48.9mm thick) but your info has it slightly thicker again.

Oh well... I guess I'll wait for the 2060 cards, and hope they're thinner.

Either that, or a ZOTAC... although I'm really keen to try to snag a three-fan card.

27. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

Did you look at the Gigabyte?

28. ranker2

ranker2 n00b

This is contrary to everything i've been hearing on this forum and SFF. Allegedly blower cards are better with Dan's case at the sacrifice of noise.

29. myzhi1

myzhi1 n00b

30. THeRoSSMaCHiNE

THeRoSSMaCHiNE n00b

While we're all talking about blower style cards, I've got a 1070FE, and need a shroud to stop it sucking in the cold... sorry... hot air from my AIO.

Is anyone aware of where I can get this sort of thing? Maybe 3D printed? Maybe a ghetto solution?

And I'm in Australia......... :(

Attached Files:

31. richiegore

richiegore Limp Gawd

You can get foam tapes, for example 7mmx7mm from home hardware supply stores. They are to prevent drafts in Windows/doors. I would think they would be good, you could stick it to the case panel or the GPU easily enough.

32. Hanakuso

Hanakuso [H]ard|Gawd

I'm thinking about installing my NVMe SSD on the backside of my motherboard. Will I run into issues?

I currently have the EK heatsink installed on it and I kinda remember it wont fit.

33. Mr-S

Mr-S n00b

Hi I am running a M.2 on the backside of my gigabyte motherboard in the Dan case and had zero issues so far

34. Mr-S

Mr-S n00b

Hi I am using the ASUS 2080TI Turbo in my Dan A4-SFX and I am not having any issues

35. ranker2

ranker2 n00b

36. RedSawn

RedSawn [H]Lite

Anyone painted their panels or such? I've only seen that hydrographic red skull pattern DAN a while back and nothing otherwise. Thought about personalising the outside of the case but didn't want to jump in and ruin the aluminium finish. Got custom printed vinyls as another option

37. dondan

dondan [H]ard|Gawd

Hi guys here are all changes for A4-SFX v4

- ADT 185mm PCIe x16 gen 3 riser
    - USB 3.0 Typ-C to 20pin intrnal header (90% confirmed)
    - changed to the drive bay so it will support 15mm thick drives
    - added thread for easy installation of custom window kits
    - adding 92mm fan support under the motherboard
    - lifting up motherboard for better bottom fan clearance
    - the 120mm AIO bracket will not be included and an optional part on SFFLab

a4_sfx_v4_12pdc4.jpg

a4_sfx_v4_2bvcem.jpg

a4_sfx_v4_3kxiv6.jpg

a4_sfx_v4_445euj.jpg

a4_sfx_v4_56sfel.jpg

With best regards
    Daniel

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  38. EvoFreak

EvoFreak Limp Gawd

That fan underneath the motherboard should help cpu temp big time. Just purchased v2 used few weeks ago. Very nice case but seeing the v4 i should have waited instead :(

39. mirgus

mirgus Limp Gawd

Great now i have the desire to get the V4

40. HaX

HaX [H]ard|Gawd

Luv the development on this case