DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Just wanted to drop some install notes before I forget for anyone interested in using either the HDPlex PSU or the NZXT M22 120mm AIO in the Dan case v3.

- This AIO (M22) is not on Dan's supported AIO list, but if you use a 120x15mm fan you're fine. The CPU block is exactly 48mm tall, the rad about 32mm. I think you have around 52mm of possible clearance.

- If you install in pull config (presumably for acoustics/to avoid turbulence/because you don't know about screws like me) AND you want the HDPlex, you can keep the front USB but it's a little tricky.

- The HDPlex seems to only have one accessible screw mount. I may be missing it because I've already mounted my SSD to the front panel. 3M tape neatly solves this. (dondan corrected me, there are 4 standoffs for mounting)

- You are losing some GPU space with the HDPlex, so if you've somehow fit a kingpin in the v2, I'm uh...sorry for your loss?

- If you installed the radiator with the tubes on the top, I think you could also the 92mm fan beneath it. I think it might vary between AIOs.

I'm still working on the case, and I'll provide my notes on cable management and hopefully thermals tomorrow.

Hi... Can you tell if the aio fits with the sfx psu? Thanks

kraken m22 can fit, but you must use 120mm slim fan like scyhte fan slim or noctua slim fan 15mm. another aio have a problem about tubing, its so short around 30-32 cm.

kraken m22 can fit, but you must use 120mm slim fan like scyhte fan slim or noctua slim fan 15mm. another aio have a problem about tubing, its so short around 30-32 cm.
I am asking because the aio as 32 or 33mm tickness... Plus 15mm or 12 for the fan could not fit...

Guys, anyone in Germany with custom cables? I'm looking for some advice of where to buy those

Tip: don't get the M22. Get the rosewill version which had a slimmer cpu block.

Here is mine with the rosewill PB120. Using a thermalright fan to cool the motherboard area. 65C gaming run on 2600X.

BZpAEQT.jpg

r4PdZtf.jpg

Is a pain to install. Had to remove the PCIE riser board. I recommend Dancase shave off 2mm for the middle board to make it easier for these types of builds.

Any air cooler better than Noctua - NH-L9a-AM4?
Do I need to worry about ram sticks with too tall heatsinks on them?

My setup is
dan a4v2
ryzen 5 2600
MSI - B450I GAMING PLUS AC
corsair sf 600w
two 2.5 inch storage devices
some ancient 770gtx for the moment
maybe G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 (rather have corsair lpx but this is cheaper)

Nothing better than the Noctua for air cooling. Consider making some kind of shroud for the cooler so that it is restricted to only taking in cool air.

I'm attempting my first iteration of a Dan v2 build. I'm currently trying to decide between a 2080 ti blower card (Nvidia Founders or Asus Turbo edition) vs an open 3 fan model (PNY XLR8). Which should I get for best temps given our case and fan configuration.

Also how should one configure the CPU fan. It should blow down into the CPU heatsink or up and away? I have a noctua L9i.

The only other fan in the case right now is the PSU fan (Corsair SF600) and a 92mm fan (Artic F9) mounted at the bottom where the AIO would be.

This will be my system that I'll be taking with me on my month long rotations into South East Asia where ambient temps are 88-96 degrees F.

ASUS ROG Strix Z370-i Gaming
i7-8700
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB
Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Corsair SF600
Noctua NH-L9I

I'm attempting my first iteration of a Dan v2 build. I'm currently trying to decide between a 2080 ti blower card (Nvidia Founders or Asus Turbo edition) vs an open 3 fan model (PNY XLR8). Which should I get for best temps given our case and fan configuration.

Also how should one configure the CPU fan. It should blow down into the CPU heatsink or up and away? I have a noctua L9i.

The only other fan in the case right now is the PSU fan (Corsair SF600) and a 92mm fan (Artic F9) mounted at the bottom where the AIO would be.

This will be my system that I'll be taking with me on my month long rotations into South East Asia where ambient temps are 88-96 degrees F.

ASUS ROG Strix Z370-i Gaming
i7-8700
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB
Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Corsair SF600
Noctua NH-L9I

No one is ever happy with blowers. Everything should blow inwards.

Nothing better than the Noctua for air cooling. Consider making some kind of shroud for the cooler so that it is restricted to only taking in cool air.

What kind of shroud? Something 'boxing' the fan on all sides bar top and bottom, or a plate mounted on top of the fan?

Hey quick question, does anyone else's case get exceedingly hot in the top back area? As in basically right above the PCIe riser. Its pretty warm when the computer is idling or I'm just using Chrome, but after an extended gaming session that area of the case is incredibly hot to the touch. Just want to check if I'm alone on this one or if its pretty standard.

delidded 8700k on a z370i with a lp53+a9x14, paired with a 1080ti sc2

Hey quick question, does anyone else's case get exceedingly hot in the top back area? As in basically right above the PCIe riser. Its pretty warm when the computer is idling or I'm just using Chrome, but after an extended gaming session that area of the case is incredibly hot to the touch. Just want to check if I'm alone on this one or if its pretty standard.

delidded 8700k on a z370i with a lp53+a9x14, paired with a 1080ti sc2
I have observed the same thing. I have a similar set up as you. It really helps to have some sort of exhaust fan in the case. I have two 40mm fans exhausting air out the rear top, and this actually helps lower the housing temperatures.

I've currently got an Sapphire Nitro RX 580 in mine and... my only complaint is the fact it makes a high pitched sound and i pop the side off when doing intense gaming to keep it quiet. Is this particularly unique to the Nitro cards, or will any GPU i buy exhibit it?

I've currently got an Sapphire Nitro RX 580 in mine and... my only complaint is the fact it makes a high pitched sound and i pop the side off when doing intense gaming to keep it quiet. Is this particularly unique to the Nitro cards, or will any GPU i buy exhibit it?
is it a whining/squeal type noise that happens when the gpu is under full utilization? that might be coil whine which could be helped by undervolting (or not). if it gets better when the side panel is off, though, I assume it's because the fans start producing that tone after a certain rpm. if you have temperature head room (< 80ish degrees) you can set a custom fan curve via software like msi afterburner to keep them a little slower.

Is the cooling performance of the noctua nh-l9i better by using an 25 mm fan instead of the one included in the package?

IMG_20181006_115533.jpg
IMG_20181003_231654.jpg

Ready for LAN-party. Case (V1) + mouse + keyboard + cables + mouse pad. Monitor and headset in seperate bag.

System:
AMD Ryzen 2700X (undervolted)
Asus ROG Strix X470-I Gaming
G.Skill Flare X F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Noctua NH-L9a
Corsair SF600
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Limited Edition 8GB (undervolted)
Noctua nf-a9x14 (2x intake at bottom, extra holes drilled)
Eizo Foris FG2421
Vortex POK3R LE Mechanical Keyboard
Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700
CM Storm Sirus 5.1 Gaming Headset

temperatures gaming: CPU 60 and GPU 65-70
Timespy score: 6902

Last edited:
Anybody with the 'low power' 8700T cpu on this case? Or the 2700 AMD is a far better choice? Thank you.

I have the 6700T - great little CPU - apparently just 35W TDP and I keep it on the Intel's stock cooler since it does the job, for now.

20180808_193220.jpg

temps_1.jpg

What a fantastic solution. Can you provide a link to where you purchased that case.

View attachment 109140
Ready for LAN-party. Case (V1) + mouse + keyboard + cables + mouse pad. Monitor and headset in seperate bag.

System:
AMD Ryzen 2700X (undervolted)
Asus ROG Strix X470-I Gaming
G.Skill Flare X F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Noctua NH-L9a
Corsair SF600
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Limited Edition 8GB (undervolted)
Noctua nf-a9x14 (2x intake at bottom, extra holes drilled)
Eizo Foris FG2421
Vortex POK3R LE Mechanical Keyboard
Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700
CM Storm Sirus 5.1 Gaming Headset

temperatures gaming: CPU 60 and GPU 65-70
Timespy score: 6902

What a fantastic solution. Can you provide a link to where you purchased that case.

https://www.koffersenkisten.nl/fae-007509.html

€26 and free shipping in the Netherlands

Its sturdy enough. Bought Some foam (€7) at a local shop and €1,99 glue. Could have done it with half the foam but changed the lay-out and thickness. Now used 1 cm and 2 cm. In the bottom 2x 1cm with mouse pad (metal) in between.

Last edited:
Hello!
I'm using the ROG Strix Z270i pro gaming mother board and using both the M2-ssd slots. Are you guys using the heatsink for it?
My front SSD has started making weird buzzing noices now. Is it about to die?
It's a Samsung 960 EVO 500GB.

Last edited:
Hello!
I'm using the ROG Strix Z270i pro gaming mother board and using both the M2-ssd slots. Are you guys using the heatsink for it?
How are your temps on the rear M2 SSD?

Hello!

The front m.2 gets very hot. The chipset under the m.2 heats the m.2 up.

The front m.2 gets very hot. The chipset under the m.2 heats the m.2 up.
It feels like it's cooler when I'm not using the heatsink, but not 100% sure.
Still, the buzzing noices exists.(the sounds reminds me of good ol harddrives when you writing data to them)

SOOO, asetek 92mm AIO is gone for good? What our other option :( luckily im not planning to build anything unitl next year

Guys, anyone with the Meta Threads lvl 3 backpack? I want to make sure it fits the A4 before buying.

Guys, anyone with the Meta Threads lvl 3 backpack? I want to make sure it fits the A4 before buying.
wow I just check the backpack, seems like a good pair for dan a4 sfx , and how it fits the ps4 with enough clearance seems like it will be likely to fit a4 sfx,

wow I just check the backpack, seems like a good pair for dan a4 sfx , and how it fits the ps4 with enough clearance seems like it will be likely to fit a4 sfx,
It seems that it can fit the A4, but I just want to double check before buying.

It seems that it can fit the A4, but I just want to double check before buying.

Since You will probably lay it on the back on the backpack, the only thing you need to consider is width of the A4 which is 17cm in widht, so if you want to be 100% sure maybe ask their customer support what is the maximum height the compartment can fit in. But from what I ve seen from the video it should fit but im not 100% sure

So, compatibility with the three brands I trust, ASUS / EVGA / Zotac, is poor.

Damn. :(

Why exactly, though, are the ASUS cards incompatible? It seems like the reason given is the "slot width" of the cards... but I thought the A4 was compatible with "2 slot" cards!

I guess I'll wait on the 2070, 2060 and 2050 compatibility details.

The Strix and the Dual are 2.7 slot cards, the turbo would work in the Dan case.

Back