DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Random question... Could I just swap out my cooler and fit my components?

Do people sleeve their cables in this case? What's the percentage of people using a FE card vs a non-FE GPU?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ktVC9W

Yeah, looking at the list I think if you got a different cooler you'd easily be able to fit everything in a DAN-A4.

I got sleeved custom-length cables from cablemod, and I love them. There's a lot more room, and they look way better.

Of the posts that I've seen here and in the build thread, I would say that most people are getting non-FE GPUs. I got one myself.

I'm interested in more information about that AIO on the V2. So the AIO would mount on the bottom underneath the PSU and pull air into the case? Are there pics of a system built with an AIO already?

Yeah, looking at the list I think if you got a different cooler you'd easily be able to fit everything in a DAN-A4.

I got sleeved custom-length cables from cablemod, and I love them. There's a lot more room, and they look way better.

Of the posts that I've seen here and in the build thread, I would say that most people are getting non-FE GPUs. I got one myself.

Any chance you could link us to the cable package you went with?

dondan Adding a third colour (or replacing maybe the silver) for v2 would have been awesome too :D. I'm thinking along the lines of a darker greyish colour similar to Apple's Space Grey... which may have also made some existing customers upgrade as well :sneaky:

Any chance you could link us to the cable package you went with?

I just used the configurator: https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/
If you email their support you can get shorter lengths than they have available through the configurator. Just send them your order number and what lengths you want customized. I only needed to do it for the 24pin, which I got 150mm. It's just perfect for the Corsair SF600 / Strix Z270i combo. If you want ballpark lengths I got 250mm for the 8-pin CPU power, and 300mm for the two GPU power. If you've got drives, The dual SATA power 100mm with 100mm in between the connectors works great if you've got one drive behind the front panel and one on the bottom of the case like I do.

1080 Ti FTW3 showed up today. Maybe I'll do a blower vs. aftermarket cooler comparison to see how it affects system temps (I have a Titan X (Pascal not Xp) on loan for a week which is basically a stand-in for a reference 1080 Ti).

ftw3.jpg

Phobya radiator gasket 10mm for 120mm fans arrived today, and together with the 3D printed bracket it looks like this:

Attachments

• IMG_5280.jpg
    IMG_5280.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_5281.jpg
    IMG_5281.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5279.jpg
    IMG_5279.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 157
1080 Ti FTW3 showed up today. Maybe I'll do a blower vs. aftermarket cooler comparison to see how it affects system temps (I have a Titan X (Pascal not Xp) on loan for a week which is basically a stand-in for a reference 1080 Ti).

View attachment 25869

Did you paint the FTW3 cooler?
Or does it come in black aswell?

I think everything about the video is great except that the interior of the case (cable management) was a little unsightly. Maybe it's just me...I don't think it's a big issue anyway, doubt you'll lose even a single sale because of it

View attachment 25869

Has anyone done a comparison like that yet? I would love to see one!

In nearly 2 days the Kickstarter campaign will launch. I am proud to show you the premiere of the campaign Video. Please let me know what you think about it.

With best regards
Daniel

Might be too late for this suggestion, but it would be cool if at the end somebody slipped it into a Wallye Duffle and walked away.

View attachment 25869
So i recieved my Elite 1080TI FTW3 as well, in green, but im disappointed that during construction, they scratched the clear cover where the card says "EVGA Geforce GTX 1080TI". It's not really a big deal because the view of the top lettering is obstructed when you cram it inside the Dancase, but it does irk me knowing its there.

If it was any other person with another type of case i would be fuming, waiting so long for s special edition type of card for EVGA's exclusive members to find that their long awaited special card is all scratched up.

Aside of my rant, the green on my card is awesome! will upload pictures, I did manage to fit both screws to fit the card, i'll upload that as well after work.

Last edited:
So i recieved my Elite 1080TI FTW3 as well, in green, but im disappointed that during construction, they scratched the clear cover where the card says "EVGA Geforce GTX 1080TI". It's not really a big deal because the view of the top lettering is obstructed when you cram it inside the Dancase, but it does irk me knowing its there.

If it was any other person with another type of case i would be fuming, waiting so long for s special edition type of card for EVGA's exclusive members to find that their long awaited special card is all scratched up.

Aside of my rant, the green on my card is awesome! will upload pictures, I did manage to fit both screws to fit the card, i'll upload that as well after work.

Nice to hear somebody was able to fit both screws. How did you do that?

In nearly 2 days the Kickstarter campaign will launch. I am proud to show you the premiere of the campaign Video. Please let me know what you think about it.

With best regards
Daniel

I think this beautiful case deserves some custom length sleeved cables :)
Good job with the video, i love it!

Nice to hear somebody was able to fit both screws. How did you do that?

To be honest, i really dont know how. When i push up the card from the end, i just BARELY have enough space for the thread on the screw to catch the hole below the mounting plate.

I had to apply force on the screwdriver to make the thread catch, while having someone help by pushing the other end of the card upwards for all the clearance i could get.

Is it advisable? its questionable, but does it make me feel better knowing it's secure? for sure.

Edit: and to clarify, I could have just gotten lucky when either the case or gpu plate when through the cnc process, allowing some extra clearance on my build compared to others, but it doesnt hurt to try if you want to go for it.

Last edited:
I have time for a couple of tests this evening before I leave for the holiday, what would you like to see?

I was thinking:
-1080 Ti FTW3 (Axial) vs. TItan X Pascal (Centrifugal)
-Stock clocks and fan profiles (FTW bios set to 1)
-Fixed CPU/PSU fan speeds (less variables)
-Stock CPU speed (delidded 7700K)
-30 minutes of looping with Heaven
-Measure CPU, PCH, memory, PSU, and GPU temps

I have time for a couple of tests this evening before I leave for the holiday, what would you like to see?

I was thinking:
-1080 Ti FTW3 (Axial) vs. TItan X Pascal (Centrifugal)
-Stock clocks and fan profiles (FTW bios set to 1)
-Fixed CPU/PSU fan speeds (less variables)
-Stock CPU speed (delidded 7700K)
-30 minutes of looping with Heaven
-Measure CPU, PCH, memory, PSU, and GPU temps

That would be perfect!

l
Nice hero shots, but I think the best thing about the first video was the gaming controller at the end. This video lacks any size comparison for people that don't have a good sense of the dimensions of a FE video card.

- Coolerguys, but they are out of stock now.
- I'm going to try a pair of these: CT16G4XFD824A
Nice ! Keep us updated please , one more question , which motherboard you will going to use ? Some boards needs a mosfets heatsink replacment if you going to use the 120mm fan

Nice ! Keep us updated please , one more question , which motherboard you will going to use ? Some boards needs a mosfets heatsink replacment if you going to use the 120mm fan
Z270I with the mosfet heatsinks already replaced from earlier adventures. I know I might run into issues, so the backup plan is using the fan and memory with a workstation build in a Lone L4 case (a really beautiful, but niche case that's not for most people).

Last update, before the DAN cooler enters the stage:

After having tested the NH-L9i with and without fan duct and the C7 with both fans the C7 and the Noctua one I finally got myself the Noctua NF-A9 fan. It is 25mm wide as opposed to the 14mm fan, that comes with the NH-L9i cooler. It is supposed to provide better cooling in combination with the NH-L9i, but I could find no comparative tests to verify this assumption.

On paper the 25mm fan pushes a lot more air at higher pressure compared to the 14mm fan: 78.9m³/h vs. 57.5m³/h. All this while turning a bit slower with a max RPM of 2000 vs. 2500. With these promising numbers in mind I swapped the fan and fired up P95 to run the usual tests. Short version: Not worth it.

A few photos followed by the long version

The distance to the side panel is 5mm

Long version:
In my previous tests I ran the NH-L9i and the C7 at 1800 and 2500 RPM and recorded temps. The NF-9A has a max speed of 2000 RPM so I tested it at 1800 and 1400 RPM (the difference between 1800 and 2000 is negligible). I chose 1400 RPM as the slower and more relaxed speed for this fan. I expected the NF-9A at 1800 RPM to perform similarly or better than the NF-A9x14 at 2500 RPM and at 1400 RPM to be on par with the NF-9Ax14 at 1800 RPM.

Temperature results:
At 1400 RPM the NF-9A yields a delta of 57°C, which is worse than the 51°C of the NF-A9x14 at 1800 incl. fan duct.
At 1800 RPM the NF-9A yields a delta of 49°C, which is better than the aforementioned 51°C. It is about on par with the 50°C of the NF-9Ax14 at 2500 RPM without fan duct, but worse than the 44°C of the NF-9Ax14 at 2500 RPM including fan duct.

Sound: The NF-9A definitely sounds much better than the C7, but it still is a bit close to the side panel and creates more turbulence noise than the NF-A9x14.

Conclusion: The NF-A9 performs better than the NF-A9x14 at same speeds. As soon as you install a simple fan duct, the NF-A9x14 catches up. Finally the NF-A9x14 can speed up to 2500 RPM and outpaces the NF-A9 signifcantly.
So if you want to improve the cooling prowess of your NH-L9i cooler you can buy an extra fan or you can put on that fan duct and be done with it. It also sounds a bit better.

Here are the numbers as usual:

Last update, before the DAN cooler enters the stage:

After having tested the NH-L9i with and without fan duct and the C7 with both fans the C7 and the Noctua one I finally got myself the Noctua NF-A9 fan. It is 25mm wide as opposed to the 14mm fan, that comes with the NH-L9i cooler. It is supposed to provide better cooling in combination with the NH-L9i, but I could find no comparative tests to verify this assumption.

On paper the 25mm fan pushes a lot more air at higher pressure compared to the 14mm fan: 78.9m³/h vs. 57.5m³/h. All this while turning a bit slower with a max RPM of 2000 vs. 2500. With these promising numbers in mind I swapped the fan and fired up P95 to run the usual tests. Short version: Not worth it.

A few photos followed by the long version

The distance to the side panel is 5mm

Long version:
In my previous tests I ran the NH-L9i and the C7 at 1800 and 2500 RPM and recorded temps. The NF-9A has a max speed of 2000 RPM so I tested it at 1800 and 1400 RPM (the difference between 1800 and 2000 is negligible). I chose 1400 RPM as the slower and more relaxed speed for this fan. I expected the NF-9A at 1800 RPM to perform similarly or better than the NF-A9x14 at 2500 RPM and at 1400 RPM to be on par with the NF-9Ax14 at 1800 RPM.

Temperature results:
At 1400 RPM the NF-9A yields a delta of 57°C, which is worse than the 51°C of the NF-A9x14 at 1800 incl. fan duct.
At 1800 RPM the NF-9A yields a delta of 49°C, which is better than the aforementioned 51°C. It is about on par with the 50°C of the NF-9Ax14 at 2500 RPM without fan duct, but worse than the 44°C of the NF-9Ax14 at 2500 RPM including fan duct.

Sound: The NF-9A definitely sounds much better than the C7, but it still is a bit close to the side panel and creates more turbulence noise than the NF-A9x14.

Conclusion: The NF-A9 performs better than the NF-A9x14 at same speeds. As soon as you install a simple fan duct, the NF-A9x14 catches up. Finally the NF-A9x14 can speed up to 2500 RPM and outpaces the NF-A9 signifcantly.
So if you want to improve the cooling prowess of your NH-L9i cooler you can buy an extra fan or you can put on that fan duct and be done with it. It also sounds a bit better.

Here are the numbers as usual:
I don't understand, why haven't you tried C7 with fan duct. That seems obvious to try it too!

I did try a fan duct on the C7, but it does not make a difference. The C7 fan is very close to the side panel anyway, not much space for hot air to creep in. Same with the NF-9A on the NH-L9i by the way.

I did try a fan duct on the C7, but it does not make a difference. The C7 fan is very close to the side panel anyway, not much space for hot air to creep in. Same with the NF-9A on the NH-L9i by the way.
What happens if you overclocked the cpu to 4.3 GHz or 4.4 GHz? I guess with the I/O shield on, seems like 4.2 GHz is the optimal clockspeed to run at.

Hello dondan, earlier you asked help to find misspelling, so ....

on the overview page, section "what's new in v2"
  • Stamp-in motherboard staNd-offs
  • 92mm fan or AIO moUnt pointS

Here we go.

Test setup:
i7-7700K @ 4.5 GHz, Delidded
CPU/PSU fans fixed at 1800 RPM
NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal) --> this card is essentially a reference GTX 1080 Ti
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3

Test configs:
reference_vs_custom_gpu_1.png

Results:
reference_vs_custom_gpu_2.png

Conclusion:
NVIDIA's default fan curves are so conservative that they limit the GPU boosting of their cards quite a bit. But even at 50% fan speed, the blowers are way too loud. Custom GPU coolers by AIB partners are so much quieter that I'd still recommend them despite the fact that they increase system temps by a significant amount.

Here we go.

Test setup:
i7-7700K @ 4.5 GHz, Delidded
CPU/PSU fans fixed at 1800 RPM
NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal) --> this card is essentially a reference GTX 1080 Ti
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3

Test configs:
View attachment 25942

Results:
View attachment 25943

Conclusion:
NVIDIA's default fan curves are so conservative that they limit the GPU boosting of their cards quite a bit. But even at 50% fan speed, the blowers are way too loud. Custom GPU coolers by AIB partners are so much quieter that I'd still recommend them despite the fact that they increase system temps by a significant amount.

Thank you for doing this! What CPU cooler did you use?

Thank you for doing this! What CPU cooler did you use?
NF-A9x14 fan with LP53 heatsink.

Note: The heatsink has tricky fitment issues depending on your motherboard. It seems to violate the keep out area guidelines around the cpu. I would consider waiting for reviews of the copper Cryorig C7 at this point. Or maybe dondan's cooler. It really depends on your CPU and cooling needs.

Awesome. Yeah, good call. I imagine the landscape will be a bit different whenever I get the V2 in ~6 months. I'm, hoping Dan's cooler works out and i can just order one of those. I was thinking of delidding a 7700k and putting a l9i on it if not.

Back