DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by dondan, Dec 30, 2013.

1. cowsgomoo2

cowsgomoo2 [H]Lite

2. zeromyst

zeromyst n00bie

Been lurking [H]ardForum for years now, figured I'd finally make an account.

Thank you Dan for this awesome case. I do frequent LAN parties here and there so this will definitely make life easier.

I didn't take photos during the build but there is really nothing special in there that hasn't been posted already.

Asus ROG Strix Z270I mini-ITX Motherboard
    Intel Core-i5 6600K
    Notuca NH-L9i CPU Cooler
    16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition
    Corsair SF450 SFX PSU
    Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD
    Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD
    SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SSD
    SanDisk X400 1TB M.2 SSD (via USB 3.0 external enclosure)
    Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 960 Evo 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
    Replaced the feet with StarTech Rubberfeet (1-1/4" Diameter)
    DeepCool RGB LED Strip

Cable management was a bit of a nightmare but I made it work. Will probably get some shorter cables soon from moddiy.com to clean up the insides a bit. I'll take some internal pictures then. :)

Again Dan, thank you.

I'll throw this over in the build thread as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. phoxx

phoxx n00bie

The original feet are threaded, these are not.

You need #4-40 bolts with nuts to attach. Half inch long are good.

4. okwchin

okwchin Limp Gawd

Or M3 bolts, as the original screw is an M3 thread.

5. buddylee7

buddylee7 n00bie

Sweet case. Did you have to drill the opening into the case/frame bigger to fit the new power button?

6. SideSwiped

SideSwiped n00bie

So anyone know where I can find metal 4-40/M3 black screws and bolts for cheap? Lowes seemed to only have stainless steel and keep finding nylon on the net.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  7. azagar

azagar n00bie

boltdepot is where I purchase all my metric hardware online. All 12.9 too, I replaced all the stock hardware since the lian li hardware is very soft from the factory.

8. repentsinner

repentsinner n00bie

Not sure what counts as cheap for you, but they're readily available online at Amazon, McMaster, and Fastenal here in the US. Search for 'm3 black oxide screw' to omit the nylon options on Amazon. You might also try an Orchard Supply if you have one local, they tend to have better loose parts bins than Lowes and Hoagie Depot.

9. okwchin

okwchin Limp Gawd

Had a quick look on eBay, this seems to be a pretty good deal. Good photos, appears to be of decent quality. I have bought cheap screws from various chinese sellers, and some can be good, some not so much. These look good based on photos. Just the long long shipping times.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M3-Hex-S...hash=item4b095ac60d:m:mCuIhjecxlzb7QbthiZIr3g

Hobbyshops near you should have them too if you need them in a hurry, but expect to pay through the nose for them.

10. Philfreeze

Philfreeze [H]Lite

Can I borrow this idea?
    I really like the look of this and a friend of mine has a 3d printer and semi transparent resin. I might just try this.

Julio Espinosa likes this.
  11. darthmatin

darthmatin n00bie

increased fan noise when panel is closed on x99 asrock itx. any solution to overcome this or reduce the fan noise? anyone have this issue?

12. Horrocko

Horrocko n00bie

If you are using the C7, you can try shorter MB stand-offs (4mm) and replacing the stock fan with the Noctua A9x14. C7 tends to be quite noisy in this case regardless, tho, so check out the fan noise/performance chart that was posted in this thread a few pages back.

EDIT: Not sure if the C7 even fits on 2011-3, so you are probably using something else. Essentially, any CPU cooler wih the fan right up to the side panel is bound to cause turbulence.

13. amvoith

amvoith n00bie

There's a build thread?

jacobsson likes this.
  14. ndjwin99

ndjwin99 n00bie

The bolts in c7 are very long.Is it possible to mount with 4 mm standoff?

15. Pantera_666

Pantera_666 [H]Lite

Too late... i've already did it, it was my secret plan for may's contest (before mcheddadi came with that idea...)

i'm kind of dissapointed with the results let me tell you...

i'll post some pictures later...

Philfreeze likes this.
  16. Horrocko

Horrocko n00bie

Yeah, check HoodedHusky's setup on page 246 of this thread.

17. ultraman982

ultraman982 n00bie

Finally built, more beautiful than I could've imagined. It's basically the same size as the Razer Core I was using previously. Thank you Dan for all your hard work!

Now I just gotta find a way to share peripherals without a dongle =p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. okwchin

okwchin Limp Gawd

Neat setup! Like the silver/white going on. Is your GPU side panel not installed? and is that a GONs keyboard?

I am always amazed at how 'empty' everyones table is. I can barely see my tabletop normally.

19. AtomicFire

AtomicFire [H]ard|Gawd

You guys have some amazing builds, I'm happy to have received my case this weekend and slapped it all together. Excuse the mess, I was a little excited!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

dtagirov and JackGLemmon like this.
  20. lapingultah

lapingultah n00bie

I point of view for this: Pre-ordering from resellers requires to pay the case in advance in most cases as well, but this shouldn't be an issue as the resellers will get their cases in the summer as they were promised (right..?) If the production takes six months it should already be underway as we're four months away from the July date of the next batch. I think the community is more understanding with schedule changes and such when compared to resellers, because they have customers to answer directly to and they are purely doing a business. Concentrate your efforts on v2 and other upcoming products and let the resellers handle the distribution, that's what they are there for :)

21. shogou

shogou n00bie

Lovely setup!

Also, please tell me what apps are you using for the miniature Spotify as well as for monitoring your drive space? :)

EDIT: Win10 Widgets, some googling lead me to the answer!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  22. shogou

shogou n00bie

Awesome setup! Is there a specific reason for why you went with the "Gelid 120x15.8mm Slim Blue LED fan (800-1600 rpm)" over any other fan? :)

23. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

please do! I'd love to see the result!

ah ha! I came up with this idea as soon as the kickstarter started. just didn't post my render untill recently!

lol ;) please show us what you came up with!

btw how do we participate in the contest?

here's my official entry:

[​IMG]

24. ultraman982

ultraman982 n00bie

In that pic the GPU side panel wasn't installed, but I've since put it on.

Also yep, great eye--it's a GON Nerd TKL! My bae.

Philfreeze likes this.
  25. pedrofan

pedrofan n00bie

Turn the fan upside down and test it again in pull configuration, you may get a surprise ;)

26. David A4

David A4 Limp Gawd

Can we take a look at it? i'd love to learn from your mistakes i was thinking of puting an acrylic spacer too.

Philfreeze and Woxys like this.
  27. Pantera_666

Pantera_666 [H]Lite

"Your mistakes"???? I don't know what are those hahaha (just kidding)

Well i don't want to show pictures just yet...

I'm done with the main concept, and it's looking freaking awesome... but i'm in the refinement part now...

Spoiler: DO NOT USE ACRYLIC UNLESS IT'S LASER CUT

Found 2 replacements for acrylic in this case scenario

Both work just fine, i'm just doing some experiments now to see which one is the "perfect" one...

Or maybe a combination of both??? Who knows :)

Will keep you guys updated when i'm done, i promise.

28. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

Can't wait !!! I really want to see it!

seems like the dan A4-SFX are spreading around the internet! :D

29. okwchin

okwchin Limp Gawd

It was a left-over from my experimentations for my NCase build. I happened to buy 5 of these and had them hanging around as none of them made the cut for my NCase build. I was in the search for a quiet fan to have in the bottom under the GPU of the NCase, slim because it gave more room between the fan and the bottom panel for noise and airflow efficacy reasons, but because they were slim, they didn't pull as much air as a Scythe Gentle Typhoon, and were significantly noisier.

Back to the A4 - the Gelid slim is the only 120mm fan that fits because its slim, so some airflow is better than a 25mm thick not fitting. Compared to the A9-14, this fan does pull more air through the side panel by being a 120 vs a 92mm, but the question remains as to whether this is beneficial as airflow is only helpful when it passes over a surface we are trying to cool, or helps displace/remove hot air.

I am not particularly fond of this fan, its minimum RPM is quite high at 800 rpm, and its motor control circuitry switches on and off power to the coils a bit too hard, so when running, the motor makes a light ticking noise that is audible at idle when everything else is silent (in a dead silent room in a quiet neighbourhood at midnight). What I do like is the slightly shallower blade angle which might? help with static pressure. I am still looking around for a good 120mm slim fan and will jump at any opportunity if I am given one. The Prolimatech looks good with a minimum 400 rpm. Wonder how silent it can be and how well the performs behind a filter.

Very lovely board there! I use a KBT Pure with cherry red and a KC60 with gateron red, but not as fancy as a GON :)

Now this is something that I will need to try...

Ideas for next testing opportunity
    1) 120mm fan in reverse orientation. May need spacers to reduce fan blade turbulence with proximity to fins. Doesn't allow for filtered air intake though...
    2) 92mm Noctua A9-14 compared to my gelid 120mm, maybe a more focused flow through the heatsink is better. I have briefly used the A9-14, but not had the chance to try it out formally yet for benchmarking.

And on another note, I somewhat remember that there was some testing done with a L9i or a ITX30 with a 25mm thick fan. How did this end up comparing performance wise?

shogou likes this.
  30. zeromyst

zeromyst n00bie

Yep - https://hardforum.com/threads/dan-a4-sfx-post-your-build-here-thread.1924512/

Yep! Win 10 Widgets is correct. Seems like the developer has abandoned the project though :(

shogou likes this.
  31. Wazzuppi

Wazzuppi n00bie

Anyone got the link to Dan's custom fan? Cant find it anywhere

32. dopa

dopa n00bie

Wazzuppi likes this.
  33. SideSwiped

SideSwiped n00bie

Anyone with an ASUS z270i know if its possible to shut off the MOBOs LEDs? I only want the corsair strips to be lit in my case.

34. shogou

shogou n00bie

Thanks for the extensive breakdown!

The reason why I was asking is because I recently ordered a LP53 CPU cooler and I'm still on the fence whether I should go with the A9-14 Noctua fan which many people seem to have had good results with, or something a bit bigger like the size of your 120mm fan. :)

35. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

yep it's possible its in the bios in advanced configuration => advanced => onboard devices configuration
    Tried a 120mm fan with it and the noctua and it was the same temps for the lp53, but the noctua was SILENT. the 120mm fan was the one that came with the nexus soo it wasn't the best. if you have a better one try it.

shogou likes this.
  36. pedrofan

pedrofan n00bie

Mcheddadi we are all waiting for prime95 temps!

Philfreeze likes this.
  37. SideSwiped

SideSwiped n00bie

Do you mind telling me your temps for idle and load? I have similar build, haven't able to play around with it much yet but I noticed my idle temps are around 40-45.

38. David A4

David A4 Limp Gawd

Are cable mods still taking in special requests for short CPU cable mods?

39. mcheddadi

mcheddadi Limp Gawd

they are coming, i'll post here later tonight.

while you wait. [​IMG]
    soo pretty

40. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

And I've got two of them sitting in a box right next to me, waiting on my final parts to arrive. Torture! :(