DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Sorry no chance, because the GPU Slot bracket will move inside the AC-Power-Inlet and this isn't possible.

Damn, didn't know cards from MSI won't fit at all. Since the GTX 1080 is using the Twin Frozr 6 as well as the RX 480 I don't know what to do. Wanted to get the RX 480 into the DAN because no other AIB is either fitting (ASUS, Powercolor) or nearly as great as MSI (Sapphire...).

Anyone plans to get a RX 480 into the DAN case?

The problem is not the TF 6 cooler it is the high position of te PCIe Power Connector. For the RX480 it is lower so the card will fit.

I think the point was made on this thread by myself and others regarding the absurdity of the Razer Core, i.e. that it costs $500 and the economics of it and its intended use don't make any sense, especially considering it is actually 0.5L larger than the A4-SFX. And I was REALLY glad to see Linus make the exact same point/comparison in his Razer Core in-depth review video. It's on Vessel (still haven't cancelled my subscription I got for the A4-SFX build video), and you'll see it on YouTube in a few days, and I guarantee you the end of the video will put a smile on your face!

I think the point was made on this thread by myself and others regarding the absurdity of the Razer Core, i.e. that it costs $500 and the economics of it and its intended use don't make any sense, especially considering it is actually 0.5L larger than the A4-SFX. And I was REALLY glad to see Linus make the exact same point/comparison in his Razer Core in-depth review video. It's on Vessel (still haven't cancelled my subscription I got for the A4-SFX build video), and you'll see it on YouTube in a few days, and I guarantee you the end of the video will put a smile on your face!
I love that visual comparison of the two, really helps give an idea of size.

I just had to replace my Silverstone 450W SFX, because it can't handle overclocking the new titan and 6700K. My PC just started to turn off, then reboot during bechmarks. Installed the Corsair SF600 that I had laying around waiting for the A4-SFX, and all issues went away, even got higher overclocks :)

It was the first time I had issues with the Siliverston 450W (ST45SF-G)... then again, I never overclocked my maxwell titan.

Yeah, I think you're in the 480-500W range, so a 450W wasn't enough. Though I think the SF450 can actually provide up to 515W of continuous power, so if you'd had it you might have been barely okay, though it's clearly better to have a bit of overhead. And if you had an X99 system with an overclocked 8 or 10-core chip then you'd need 600W. But I think we can all agree 700W unnecessary overkill. ;)

My feelings are that the Corsair SF600 is THE optimal SFX PSU for a SFF mITX / single GPU build…

My feelings are that the Corsair SF600 is THE optimal SFX PSU for a SFF mITX / single GPU build…

As long as you don't surround it with hot air, because then the fan will ramp up easily and be noisy. We'll see what effect the A4 case will have on it. Also, curious to see what effect the dense Demciflex filters will have on it.

The problem is not the TF 6 cooler it is the high position of te PCIe Power Connector. For the RX480 it is lower so the card will fit.

Thanks for the quick reply. Just to help me understand this: the dimensions of both cards are identically (1080 is 3 mm longer, same width and height) and both have the PCIe connectors at the end of the pcb. Why is the RX 480 working in the A4 and the 1080 not?

vAro: bottom of PCIe to top of card is the same for all MSI gaming cards (140mm). Bottom of PCIe to top of PCB is different for each. Compare close up photos of the power socket relative to the rest of the cooler for each card. Bit-tech has some good shots.

It's way louder than the Corsair SF450. The SF450 will be sufficient for my needs.

Are you sure about the noise? What I've gathered from different reviews on the SF450/SF600, they use the exact same fan. With the exception that it can reach a higher RPM on the SF600. I don't know how the semi passive feature works (if it's based on temperature or load) but the SF600 stays passive at higher loads than the SF450 in this review:
Corsair SF 450 and SF 600 PSU Review

In this review there is also a table showing the noise level at different loads, and the SF600 is ~0.5dB louder at 450W, which should be within the margain of error. Obviously it will be louder at 450+W as the fan can spin higher, but if the computer never draws that much, and you want the extra watts with the SF600 as a safety margain, it shouldn't be louder? :)

Of course, if there is no need for more than 450W, there's no reason to buy the SF600.

EDIT: Scratch that...according this review: Corsair SF450 och SF600 - Test (Written in Swedish)

At 75% load on the SF600 (450W) the fan spins at 2375 rpm, while the SF450 at 100% load spins at 1616 rpm. So the SF600 seem to be louder overall in this test. Wonder why the Kitguru review differ so much.

Last edited:
Are you sure about the noise? What I've gathered from different reviews on the SF450/SF600, they use the exact same fan. With the exception that it can reach a higher RPM on the SF600. I don't know how the semi passive feature works (if it's based on temperature or load) but the SF600 stays passive at higher loads than the SF450 in this review:
Corsair SF 450 and SF 600 PSU Review

In this review there is also a table showing the noise level at different loads, and the SF600 is ~0.5dB louder at 450W, which should be within the margain of error. Obviously it will be louder at 450+W as the fan can spin higher, but if the computer never draws that much, and you want the extra watts with the SF600 as a safety margain, it shouldn't be louder? :)

Of course, if there is no need for more than 450W, there's no reason to buy the SF600.

EDIT: Scratch that...according this review: Corsair SF450 och SF600 - Test (Written in Swedish)

At 75% load on the SF600 (450W) the fan spins at 2375 rpm, while the SF450 at 100% load spins at 1616 rpm. So the SF600 seem to be louder overall in this test. Wonder why the Kitguru review differ so much.

Several reviews had the fan curve being more aggressive on the SF600 compared to the SF450. Corsair suspected it was something wrong with the termistor on those units. In the end, the SF450 is a safer choice noise wise. If there indeed were faulty units sent to reviewers, I suspect many of them reached end consumers as well. No way for you or me to easilty prove we got a faulty SF600, though, which sucks.

Faulty or not (unknown at this point, as I have not built with it yet, only finger fucked it some upon arrival), the SF600 I have was free (thank you, smallformfactor.net), so it will work for me…!

Just wanted to register and post and thank you guys for all the A4-SFX Pr0n and I can't wait until I get my A4-SFX this autumn :)

Did watch the LTT video and it was actually quite good for being LTT.

One thing Linus mentioned which I also been thinking about was the Razer Core and that A4-SFX could possibly? work really well as an TB3 External Graphic Dock, mainboard space could be used for the TB components instead? Not sure there is a market for those though?

Faulty or not (unknown at this point, as I have not built with it yet, only finger fucked it some upon arrival), the SF600 I have was free (thank you, smallformfactor.net), so it will work for me…!
Judging by the sff review I think your sf600 shouldn't have these problems. On the otherhand my sf600 acted like my previous sx500 lg, where it would turn on after a little while even when the PC is idle once it got a little warm and not turn off again. I thought it could be due to my room getting really warm in summer but I have since installed a sf450 and the fan virtually never turns on during normal use (have yet to do a lengthy stress test).

EVGA cards have their own LEDs ;) I have GTX 1080 SC, you can adjust it to all colors of the rainbow :D

LED.gif

Is this card the same version as the superclocked EVGA 1080? Can't seem to find where to buy this one.,,

No, it's the EVGA GTX 1080 FTW.
Thx.

So I know the founder edition cards should be fine for Dan Case but what about these cards with two fans like the EVGA FTW? Has anyone been able to get temperature readings in the case using these cards?

Is anyone selling their Kickstarter DAN case? I'm in the market and prefer silver.

One thing Linus mentioned which I also been thinking about was the Razer Core and that A4-SFX could possibly? work really well as an TB3 External Graphic Dock, mainboard space could be used for the TB components instead? Not sure there is a market for those though?

Who the hell would think about that? Why should i pay 500$ bucks for the razor core instead of installing the gpu in the dan case? It would make more sense to spend the 500$ in a propper NAS

I know I'm late to the party but since I missed the Kickstarter campaign, how do I buy one of these?

Reactions: Shaav
like this
Dondan, did you get a chance to test temps for evga 1080 ftw with the case?

Look for the "Spoiler" for cooling in the first post. He tests a MSI Gaming GTX 970 vs a stock blower 970 with a graph. It's not a 1080 but it should give you a rough idea on what to expect.

Thx.

So I know the founder edition cards should be fine for Dan Case but what about these cards with two fans like the EVGA FTW? Has anyone been able to get temperature readings in the case using these cards?
ACX 3.0 - EVGA's new cooling concept - seems to strike the best balance of noise and temperature for the current 10X0 lineup (MSI being a close second, but the cards may not fit the A4-SFX). The Founders Edition cooling solution is inherently weaker to begin with and from dondan's testing it would seem like open-air coolers perform surpisingly well in the A4-SFX (thanks to the GPU sitting right next to the perforated side panel), hence I'd conclude EVGA's offerings (Gaming ACX 3.0, SC, FTW, Classified) will still perform better than Nvidia's Founders Edition. Apart from that, I really dig the industrial design and I think it perfectly matches the aesthetics of the A4-SFX (way better than those plasticky-looking shrouds).

ACX 3.0 - EVGA's new cooling concept - seems to strike the best balance of noise and temperature for the current 10X0 lineup (MSI being a close second, but the cards may not fit the A4-SFX). The Founders Edition cooling solution is inherently weaker to begin with and from dondan's testing it would seem like open-air coolers perform surpisingly well in the A4-SFX (thanks to the GPU sitting right next to the perforated side panel), hence I'd conclude EVGA's offerings (Gaming ACX 3.0, SC, FTW, Classified) will still perform better than Nvidia's Founders Edition. Apart from that, I really dig the industrial design and I think it perfectly matches the aesthetics of the A4-SFX (way better than those plasticky-looking shrouds).

A lot of users on newegg are reporting huge coin wine on those cards

A lot of users on newegg are reporting huge coin wine on those cards
You made me ctrl+f search through the reviews on newegg and here are my results:
1080 FTW: 141 reviews & 5 believable reports of coil whine
1080 SC: 98 & 3
1070 FTW: 94 & 6
1070 SC: 147 & 7

Some of them might be due to low quality PSUs as well.
Feel free to make of that what you will.

You made me ctrl+f search through the reviews on newegg and here are my results:
1080 FTW: 141 reviews & 5 believable reports of coil whine
1080 SC: 98 & 3
1070 FTW: 94 & 6
1070 SC: 147 & 7

Some of them might be due to low quality PSUs as well.
Feel free to make of that what you will.

My old EVGA GTX 970 SSC always whined with SX500-LG (I tried RMAing both, same thing..). EVGA GTX 1080 SC seems to be fine though.

It seems that some cards are just not a good match for some specific power supplies, I haven't been able to figure it out...

I have a Gtx 980 Classified and the SX500-LG and I've never had any coil whine. It is a luck of tue draw imo. Granted my gpu has 14 power phase vrm so that helps...I think?

Oh man, I love this case so much, but sadly didn't have the funds for the first run. I thank all of you for making it successful, and I hope that I can get on board for the next run. ...In the meantime my wife's computer languishes in a cheap M1 knock-off ( *cough qbx). :cry:

Dan, your case is amazing. Thank you for making it.

Back