DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

EgumbkS.jpg

I feel honored :D

Lucky you! (I was assigned #14)

BTW I also had CC issues (flagged as fraud) and had to politely ask my bank to kindly let the charge go through. My first KS, and for foreign exchange, so I'm forgiving them for being cautious.

Q-Q I missed the deadline to buy a case by a few hours, sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....eeeeet.

There may be some cancellations or people that change their minds or resell the cases.

There may be some cancellations or people that change their minds or resell the cases.

Well Dondan did state that if atleast 1000 cases sell, he'll consider making a permanent item to sell as he produces. Besides that, guess it'll be a while before cases start being sold and produced again. I may just grab a cougar QBX as a temporary, and sell it to my best friend once he starts making cases again.

If you guys are new to KickStarter, just make sure (check your email too) that the credit card you used did not reject the payment (fraud protection). If you happen to have CitiBank Double Cash (as I did), their fraud protection system is especially strict and annoying at times. I had to tell Citibank that this purchase was valid, and then go to the KickStarter website to resolve the payment using the same card.

Anyway, congrats to Dondan for the successful KickStarter campaign! Dondan, will you put up a Google Document for others to put up their full system build PC parts as well as 'confirmed' GPU compatibility and gaming/synthetic benchmark temps?

I know there was some talk about side panel window in the kickstarter that I hope comes to fruition, but who knows with the ventilation of the side panels. I don't know if this is possible, but a full side panel window with the quick release tabs would be nice. Maybe even have the window reversible, so it can be swapped to either side of the case. Something in this style would look amazing, I think:

4-1.jpg

Z0z6c6Cl.jpg

If it's anything like the NCASE, it won't be worth the markup, unless you have money to blow. I remember the NCASE were going upwards of like $400 on eBay after the first shipment was received. With the higher price of the A4, it will prob be even more expensive. You would be better of waiting for the next run.

I backed the KS so I have a case. I was just saying that there may be other ways to aquire one after the KS. Some people have a change of heart or don't have the funds and may want to sell it. Some on [H] may even do so at cost. You never know.

Aww, crapperoni I missed the deadline! I noticed the buy buttons still seemingly work, do they?

I know there was some talk about side panel window in the kickstarter that I hope comes to fruition, but who knows with the ventilation of the side panels. I don't know if this is possible, but a full side panel window with the quick release tabs would be nice. Maybe even have the window reversible, so it can be swapped to either side of the case. Something in this style would look amazing, I think:

4-1.jpg

Z0z6c6Cl.jpg

If it's anything like the NCASE, it won't be worth the markup, unless you have money to blow. I remember the NCASE were going upwards of like $400 on eBay after the first shipment was received. With the higher price of the A4, it will prob be even more expensive. You would be better of waiting for the next run.

Hmm I love the concept of putting glass panels on the side, but I fear it wouldn't be very plausible because of breathing constraints. The current side panels of the case are made to allow components to breath and since the front and back are mostly closed off, the only way air would come in would be the bottom, sides and top. If the two sides were replaced, that would require people to have to force air through the bottom which would cause multiple problems (fans would need to be put on the bottom to push air in as the parts won't really be capable of doing that themselves, a positive pressure would want to be added in to ensure hot air goes up. etc). With all things in mind, it'd be hard to do a double or even single glass paneled design, because the form factor alone makes it very hard to get proper cooling. The only feasible option would be to make holes in the glass (or slits) to allow the components to breath, and that would be extremely hard to reproduce at a large scale while remaining within reasonable prices and would be hard to ship. Clear plastic acrylic may be capable of providing you something similar to that level but will never look as nice and gets scratched easily.

Sorry broski, but as much as I agree with you on having a tempered glass or clear plastic side, I think it's very hard to do in this case.

The only feasible option would be to make holes in the glass (or slits)...
Backer here too. Ever thought about (rubber) spacers? Having a stack of 0.5cm of spacers between the glass and the frame should allow enough air being drawn into the space on either side of the case and be discreet enough that people won't notice. Though that would most definitely require aftermarket mods to create mounting points to secure the piece of glass and spacers onto the frame.

Backer numbers were to be *randomly* assigned. Doesn't matter when you pledged. If you're in, you're a V1 backer.

Congratulations on a successful campaign, Dan! 1600 cases, $400K Euro. You'll be busy for the next few months. A case with a tiny footprint left a huge footprint on the industry. I look forward to Version 2 and the fun discussions we'll have here about potential further optimizations.

Congratulations on a successful campaign, Dan! 1600 cases, $400K Euro. You'll be busy for the next few months. A case with a tiny footprint left a huge footprint on the industry. I look forward to Version 2 and the fun discussions we'll have here about potential further optimizations.

The only optimization I can think of at the moment is a shroud for CPU and GPU fans that reaches the edge of the case ensuring that they're sucking in air from outside of the case.

Edit: GPU

Last edited:
Yes! Baker 1683. I might not be the first one but I think I am one of the last ones :D Once we receive them we could share pictures with our builds. I'm planing to replace the front-top panel for a carbon fiber / kevlar cover in black and red. I want it now please! :D

I don't think the 1530 total number is skipping those whose payment was rejected, because mine was, I paid already and the number is still 1530.

Backer numbers were to be *randomly* assigned. Doesn't matter when you pledged. If you're in, you're a V1 backer.
I don't think the number in the email will correspond (at least not exactly) to the number printed on the label going on the case, assuming that those who ordered two cases only received one number via email.

The only optimization I can think of at the moment is a shroud for CPU and CPU fans that reaches the edge of the case ensuring that they're sucking in air from outside of the case.

Don't forget about the GPU braket cover :D

Baker #95, a far cry from poster #3.

We'll know in a week how many "extras" come thru.

Dan, any chance an existing baker might double their order in this week?
Payday fell a little oddly.

Backer here too. Ever thought about (rubber) spacers? Having a stack of 0.5cm of spacers between the glass and the frame should allow enough air being drawn into the space on either side of the case and be discreet enough that people won't notice. Though that would most definitely require aftermarket mods to create mounting points to secure the piece of glass and spacers onto the frame.

Spacers wouldn't be a bad idea, it'd definitely help quite a bit, but I wonder how one would go forth with mounting the glass then (screws would definitely be the obvious choice, but could scratch or even crack the glass). I'm still a bit skeptical that there may not be enough air getting into the case to cool the gpu, but it's definitely worth giving a shot.

Baker #95, a far cry from poster #3.

We'll know in a week how many "extras" come thru.

Dan, any chance an existing baker might double their order in this week?
Payday fell a little oddly.

Ohhhhhhh, can I be a baker too, I've always wanted to make awesome bread.

Last edited:
Did anyone get the "24h email" (shipping details)?
On a side note, i'm wondering how much will an additional side panel cost.

I haven't been charged yet according to my bank statement. Are people getting charged yet?

Mine got charged a few minutes after the campaign ended. I was in the ~ first 300 backers according to the website.

The only optimization I can think of at the moment is a shroud for CPU and CPU fans that reaches the edge of the case ensuring that they're sucking in air from outside of the case.

Why…? The fans are literally right next to the perforated side panels…

48mm clearance for HSF, Cryorig C7 is 47mm tall; so, literally 1mm away from the perforated side panel, plenty of fresh air being sucked in by the HSF…

Pretty much the same story on the GPU side…

As I see it, this chassis is a complete bolt-together… Pick parts that fit & place them where they go; only real need for a 'mod' or custom part would be the PSU cables…

the best part about this result is that dan can ask stores around the world if they would like to buy a batch of cases. so he may order many more than 2000 cases from lian li! maybe he will order 7000 or 10 000!!!

The next GPU I will get will probably be a GTX 1070 price range (I'm waiting till possibly end of next year for the 2nd gen GPUs). Should I get the SF450 or the SF600? I see conflicting reports on the noise profile for especially the SF600.

Dan, just a quick question. If I respond to the email and give current address, is it possible to change the delivery address before the case will be shipped out?

The next GPU I will get will probably be a GTX 1070 price range (I'm waiting till possibly end of next year for the 2nd gen GPUs). Should I get the SF450 or the SF600? I see conflicting reports on the noise profile for especially the SF600.

Since you're buying this case, you don't need any "headroom" with the PSU. Get the 450. The Tom's Hardware reviewer practically asked this PSU out for drinks.

Back