Damned Pirates: Hollywood Sets $10B Box Office Record

I pay $9.75 today for 4k digital projection with awesome sound systems, stadium seating, and wide seats, and I paid $6 10 years ago for crappy projectors and seating. Once you factor in inflation, is the rise in prices really that bad? I mean, I'm getting a far better experience now. It's worth paying for, especially since I use my student discount. :)

But as far as games go (someone else mentioned that), it's kind of amazing that prices have remained as stable as they have. I know that more people are playing today, but I remember paying $75-80 for some SNES games, and people bitch about $60 now? Damn...

I pay $9.75 today for 4k digital projection with awesome sound systems, stadium seating, and wide seats, and I paid $6 10 years ago for crappy projectors and seating. Once you factor in inflation, is the rise in prices really that bad? I mean, I'm getting a far better experience now. It's worth paying for, especially since I use my student discount. :)

But as far as games go (someone else mentioned that), it's kind of amazing that prices have remained as stable as they have. I know that more people are playing today, but I remember paying $75-80 for some SNES games, and people bitch about $60 now? Damn...

Those 75-80 titles were the exception not the rule. I agree that games are a good value now. If you get atleast 5-6 hours out of them. Games that are 4-5 hours for 60$ pisses me off. Now games like DAO that is at LEAST 30 hours + more for replays and delving deep into the side quests, those games are a steal.

8$ for 2 hours of entertainment at a movie theater isn't too bad either. People will just make excuses so they feel justified.

Problem with the concept is the studios/recording artists need to make the move to offer us a reasonable distribution model over DVDs (and theater for some) FIRST. No one is going to protest and say OFFER US REASONABLE PRICES, but we will not pirate your movies until you do so.

I'm sorry but they will have to break first, the longer they wait the more money they will lose. And why won't they win? Simple.. as long as we can view it or listen to it, it can be pirated.

They need to realize this sooner rather than later. Once it becomes cheap enough that it's not worth it to pirate anymore, people will most likely stop.

This is why netflix is such a great hit. I'd say 75% of the people I know who pirate films/tv shows LOVE their netflix... Irony...

Buying a burnt copy of a movie is Theft.

Um, no. Theft is when you take goods from someone else without being given it or entering into a commercial transaction for it. The guy that burned it presumably infringed on copyrights in doing so (i.e. they made a copy of it in contravention of someone else's rights to be the one to do so), but at that point it's what, abetting infringement? Possession of unauthorized copies? It's not crap as far as I know, not unless someone's lobbyists have been active again lately. The person probably has no valid right to keep the copy, and they would probably never see their money back from the infringing party...but that's neither here nor there. If it's theft, it's only because laws are bought by people and corporations with lots and lots of money rather than made by representatives of the people in order to protect the peoples' interests.

I think they should make a law about it being ok to download something after a long period of time that the movie/game has been released (6+yrs or so) By then they can't complain about losing any money cause really they get tossed in the $5 bin at wal-mart.

I only will buy blu-ray movies seeing how you can get most for only a few dollars more then the regular definition.

piracy.png

:D

Will consider going to the theaters, when I'll be allowed to smoke in there

+1

Between smoking, drink/food cost, people laughing loudly at the wrong stuff, cell phone lights, crowding, and for me having to drive almost an hr to a decent theater ...eh to all of it. Buy the blue ray, sit in my comfy chair, with a beer and cig, being able to pause to go piss, and not listen to people talk during the movie... I choose that.

I think they should make a law about it being ok to download something after a long period of time that the movie/game has been released (6+yrs or so) By then they can't complain about losing any money cause really they get tossed in the $5 bin at wal-mart.

Hmm, I think there is something in place similar to this, though it may be in the hands of the copyright holders to let go of their hold on the product.

However, even some games that are 10 years old are still going for a fair bit. D2 + LoD is going for $40 still (ripoff, but that's how it is) :p

once they make their prices even somewhat resonable i'd be happy to buy from them. i have no remorse for not buying their food nor should i - this is not a question of morals but a statement as to how the theater itself is ripping us off too. besides, with how crowded that place is usually i think they're doing just fine without my cash thanks.

I totally agree with you. I mean 14 dollars for a popcorn, a large drink, is a little ridiculous.

:D

Will consider going to the theaters, when I'll be allowed to smoke in there

lol and why would I want to be in there to get cancer from your second hand smoke?

You will need to invent a time machine, because these days being a smoker you are an outcast and a burden to society :D

too bad the most expensive movies are often the shittiest ones.
cgi does not a good movie make.

make more lower budget movies that are actually good. not $150million GI JOE crap.

This is true. But Hollywood sees sh!t movies like Transformers make big bucks, and so the producers clamor for MOAR CGI!!!11

When Hollywood puts out good movies, people will go - see Dark Knight, Star Trek, etc.

But when they keep putting out bad movies by bad directors (McG ruining the Terminator franchise, for instance) - they start blaming piracy???

Oh and I forgot to mention, but lots of people hate going to theaters not just because of the price, but because the crowd has grown even more immature each year and it's less enjoyable to watch movies with the crowd, especially in the first week of a movie debut

Yes I'm getting old

Imo this year has been a good year for movies, at least much better than last year. That's probably because there have been quite many big titles, and therefore there have been also many bad ones. A big budget will not itself make a good movie.

Don't you see a slight problem though? If you go see the movie and think it sucked, how does Hollywood know that from the sales figures? You don't get your money back just because you didn't like it(unlike any real, physical product, even consumable ones).

I rarely see movies that I dislike. But then, I generally read reviews up front. Again, anyone that went to see GI Joe and complained about the lack of a plot is a fucking idiot.
It's a movie based on a cartoon that was based on Doll. And if that wasn't reason enough to pass on it, then there was the trailer that clearly showed that it was big screen video game (without the game).

What's next, people buy a 50 Cent CD and complain that it's Rap?

As for getting your money back, many (if not all) theaters will give you your money back if you walk out in the middle of the movie and ask for your money back.

Regardless, Hollywood knows, because they do exit polls and they can monitor ticket sales. A big Friday followed by a greatly diminished Saturday typically indicates the audience didn't like the movie. For example, Sascha Cohen's last movie had a big opening day and died the rest of the weekend. When I saw it on Sunday, there was maybe 10 people in the theater. I thought it was worth the price, but it was no Borat.

Finally, the public likes shitty movies. How else to explain Rambo 2, 3 and 4 or virtually any Michael Bay movie? That guy has made, maybe, 1 decent movie in his life, yet they all gross a ton of money.

If you want to be sure if a movie is worth seeing, wait a week...or read some reviews. I hear there's a site that has links to most reviews.

Do you believe we should just pirate all of our games and software? Most games suck, so just pirate them. Sure you could buy the good ones, but why bother? You've already played it for free. And, of course, let's not forget the classic argument: they're too expensive.
Sure games and movies cost less than they did 20-30 years ago (especially if you adjust for inflation), but you can d/l for free, so the prices should be less.

Come on everyone, quit paying for stuff. You've got utorrent. Download it. Information wants to be free. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If the movie is good people will buy it. Besides rentals have hurt sales more than any one other aspect. I have been with netflix for a while now, and do not buy any dvds anymore because there may be one every 3 or so years that are actually good enough to watch more than once.

the public does like shit movies. just look at daytime soap opera tv... its all fluffy bullshit and thats what people like. thats why you see so much emotional bullshit in action movies. yeah, i really want to see the softer side of the main character marine guy who kills people all movie long...

If the movie is good people will buy it. Besides rentals have hurt sales more than any one other aspect. I have been with netflix for a while now, and do not buy any dvds anymore because there may be one every 3 or so years that are actually good enough to watch more than once.

I'm telling you I see people who download movies they like instead of renting or buying them. And with respect to netflix, at least netflix buys the movies. If you D/L off the web, as many are, then nobody is buying them.

However, rentals are a problem with respect to people who rent them, copy them and return them. In the end, if this becomes the prevailing attitude, we'll end up with ever worse movies. One reason we get so much crap is because that broad crap (e.g. GI Joe, Transformers 2, 2012) is because they're virtually guaranteed to make money. Those movies translate well in international markets. Many of the smaller films do not.

I can live with it, in as much as I'm far more interested in music than movies, but I've seen what piracy (or whatever the "fuck the riaa" crowd wants to call it) has done to music, and it's not pretty.

the public does like shit movies. just look at daytime soap opera tv... its all fluffy bullshit and thats what people like. thats why you see so much emotional bullshit in action movies. yeah, i really want to see the softer side of the main character marine guy who kills people all movie long...

I'm not sure what movie(s) you're referring to, so I can't say whether I agree or not. I certainly don't have a problem with action movies that have 3 dimensional characters.

maybe they should stop paying actors $10-$20mill for their lame ass acting and get real salaries, i think Actors should have salary caps, that should help lower ticket prices, i mean you hear all this crap from actors and musicians that they dont do it for the money... BS!!!!

maybe they should stop paying actors $10-$20mill for their lame ass acting and get real salaries, i think Actors should have salary caps, that should help lower ticket prices, i mean you hear all this crap from actors and musicians that they dont do it for the money... BS!!!!

I'm just hoping they call me up one day and tell me they need a random dude, who rarely speaks for some movie with law enforcement. I'll be a background cop! or not a main character. :D

Back