Dairy Queen Says Customer Data Hacked in 46 States

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
This comes down to a simple question: Is nothing sacred anymore? It’s bad when hackers install malicious software to steal customer information at banks, department stores and home improvement places, but Dairy Queen? Really? These hackers really have a mean streak in them even ice cream couldn’t cure.

Computers at Dairy Queen locations, and one Orange Julius smoothie stores, were infected by the malicious software, Backoff, which has been targeting retailers since it first surfaced a year ago, International Dairy Queen said late on Thursday.

I believe this is why cash was invented.

It's natural selection hard at work and you can't fix stupid. Kick back and enjoy the show.

Kmart's payment system was also hacked.

It was reported that both customers where upset.

I sure hope to the IT/Security departments of all the other retailers are paying attention and taking steps to make sure this stops happening.

At this point, you should just assume all the big retailers have been hacked. Kmart was also hacked, in the same story I read.

Dilly Bars Peanut Better Parfait and Blizzards a complete part of this breakfast oh wait
Hackers too who will eat ice cream from Russia.

reuters said:
There is no indication that other personal information, including card PINs, social security numbers or email addresses were stolen, it said.

What DQ requires your SSN to buy a dilly bar?

reuters said:
International Dairy Queen said it is offering free identity repair services for one year to customers in the United States who made purchases at any of the effected restaurants.

Effect is a noun. Affect is a verb. Does Reuters require any kind of an education to write for them?

What DQ requires your SSN to buy a dilly bar?

Effect is a noun. Affect is a verb. Does Reuters require any kind of an education to write for them?

Not unless "Will work for absolute shit wages" counts as education.

Can we just fine the companies like $10,000 per person who's info was compromised? Why are they keeping credit card numbers beyond the few seconds it takes to verify and get payment from the credit agencies?

I sure hope to the IT/Security departments of all the other retailers are paying attention and taking steps to make sure this stops happening.

It has nothing to do with IT.
It has to do with upper management not wanting to fuck with IT or security until the damage has been done, is severe enough to make a public outcry, and only when their backs are against the wall.

Otherwise, they will role with the minimal amount needed to make things run, and then when it does break, they can just blame IT.

I dunno if its like this everywhere else, but Dairy Queen has a reputation for being a redneck/working poor hangout. I'm sure that not everyone who buys stuff there has like some NASCAR tattoo on their neck, but still, there's gotta be customers worth more money someplace else. These people are the last ones in the US that can handle that kinda thing. Their coping skills are already really stressed to the limits with the lifestyles they lead. :( What jerks, those hackers.

It's stories like this that continually make me believe going cyber security is a good career choice.

I believe this is why cash was invented.

It's natural selection hard at work and you can't fix stupid. Kick back and enjoy the show.

LOL

I just peed myself a little after reading this!

Don't get all worked up there genius.

Effect is both a noun and a verb, as is affect. The problem was with using the word incorrectly for its definition, not part of speech.

Back