daily 10 minute "freeze" like clockwork..

Brav

Limp Gawd
I cant figure this out, and I was going to wipe my laptop (in sig) and upgrade from Vista home premium to 7 Pro.. but I learned the hard way that I first need Vista pro (doh...).

Anyhow, almost everyday I get a lock up where nearly all programs stop responding if I click on them. Mouse usually still works. HDD light goes solid but I cant hear any noise. CPU activity seems to be zero. Most of the time if I let it be, the system clock still works and its almost exactly 10 minutes or so of freeze, then it goes normal and is perfect the rest of the day. This happens nearly every morning around 10am. Led me to beleive it was some antivirus, update, backup, scan, but I cant quite figure it out. I disabled everything it oculd be and it still happens. I thought it to be a HDD error, but seems to regular and un-random to be that. I tried waiting for it and shutting down most all programs, thinking it was outlook, but it seems it doesnt matter how many programs or which are open or not.

Any ideas??

OK.. i think i have traced it to Windows Update. What would make it hang every time it tried to update?

I have seen this at work.

When our workstations would do windows update, it would peg the CPU out at 100% (P4's at the time). What caused it was when Windows Update would check, it would do a inventory of the cache folder and our AV program performed very poorly on reading .cab files.

What clued me into this was I noticed it was during updates and I wanted to delete the contents of that folder, but I wanted to back it up first, so I just did a simple copy paste move of them, and presto...CPU pegged at 100% and explorer.exe was causing it. Just like when it happened to Windows update. If I disabled the A/V program, problem went away.

Could I convince the IT department, yes, but they didn't care.

Network Associates McAfee Viruscan enterprise.

Back