Daemon Tools to install an OS?

Vaeldain

Weaksauce
Is this possible? I downloaded the new Vista build off connect last night, but I'm out of DVDs atm and I'd rather not buy more just yet. So, could you do this with daemontools or with a trick or something?

I'm not that familiar with daemon tools, but I don't think that will work.

I'll be dual booting it and I had thought there was a way to have the image or files on another partition and have the install process read from it. Anyone know if this is possible?

not really no. You might with grub but you'd already need linux installed, and you're going to need a cdr to do that.

Ehhh........no.

You need to install it from a DVD. It MAY work, but I've failed. Try it and let me know!

in vmware you can mount a iso as your cdrom but thats going to require that you actually have VM

You are much better off buying some dvd-r's, you could download vmware server and do that, but you will probably kill more time figuring out all the little emulation nuances then it would take to go to the store.

Lord of Shadows said:
You are much better off buying some dvd-r's, you could download vmware server and do that, but you will probably kill more time figuring out all the little emulation nuances then it would take to go to the store.
This is true. I only suggest it because it's..uh...well, to be honest, because it's neat.

I've never used Daemon tools, but the Microsoft Virtual CD program runs fine inside of Bart PE. You should be able to boot with that, then mount the ISO and run the installer if no OS is installed, or you should be able to do the same thing inside a normal OS.

Personally, I'd probably mount the DVD iso, copy its contents to a folder, then run the install from there.

Yes, you can install vista via DaemonTools.

This is becuase vista uses an image based install now rather than coping files off a disk. When you load the iso in emulation and run though the setup, it will copy the install image to the appropriate partition and then reboot. Upon reboot, the bootmgr will go into that partition and extract the image onto the partition, setting up windows.

Warning though, vista completely HOSES your bootmgr with it's the new Longhorn bootmgr, and installing it is not for the light hearted. It's fixable, but I would recomend the bartPE microsoft virtual disk method instead and install it on a seperate physical harddrive while the others are not connected.

That or you can use Acronis True Image and clone your harddrive before you play with it.

The boot manager is actually pretty easy to fix - just delete C:\boot ;)

Figured that out with 5270.

Back