DAC Recommendation for $100-200

squad

Gawd
Well I had a ZERO 24/192KHZ DAC HEAD AMP and it was excellent until I spilled soda onto it (I know stupid) but it's very hard to come by and I saw some on ebay but don't like to order from there and the shipping is crazy. The one I had I actually brought it from here. I wanted to know if there any new DAC's that I could get that could compare to this at that price range.

I have my headphones connected to the DAC and it connects to my pc and I use it for movies, music and games at night but morning I have my speakers on.

Any help would be great.

ODAC is coming, really soon. It is expected in mid-May. I implore you that if you can wait, to wait for it.

How much would that be?

Some around or slightly over $100 (in fact here you can preorder the DAC alone : http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=39) and keep in mind that's for the DIY option so if you aren't into that you'll have to wait until a third party offers it for sale , completed. Specs look impressive but I would wait for user impressions before jumping on board a new DAC of any kind. However they haven't announced a date for the O2+ODAC Combo so you would just be buying the DAC alone and you would have to buy a dedicated headphone amp.

Some options :

Fiio E17 ($159 on Amazon)

Audioengine ($169 on Amazon)

There are sub $200 options on Ebay that ship from Asian manufacturers (tons of different ones) that you could also look into.

O okay and ODAC is just the DAC alone but what is this combo means ODAC+O2 What is the O2 and does it help it become better or what kind of add on it is.

This is what I had before http://www.head-fi.org/t/269458/review-zero-24-bit-192khz-dac-headphone-amp-pre-amp I want something like that, something like that for ODAC

JDSlabs currently sells the O2 which is a headphone amplifier. The ODAC is a transparent DAC designed by Nwavguy. JDSlabs will offer it standalone soonish (Mid-late May as soon as the Canadian company sourcing the boards gets volume), OR together in a box with the O2 amp.

If you already have an amp, you could get the ODAC by itself from JDSlabs. If you want an amp, you can get the ODAC+O2 they will offer, or you could just get the ODAC and use its 3.5'' out to your favorite amp.

ODAC is the DAC, O2 is the headphone amplifier. ODAC+O2 is a headphone amplifier with the DAC integrated, like that Zero DAC/HP amp that you linked.

ODAC is the DAC, O2 is the headphone amplifier. ODAC+O2 is a headphone amplifier with the DAC integrated, like that Zero DAC/HP amp that you linked.

Thanks alot clears so much, do you have a link for it so I could buy it or not out yet

It's not out yet, but I think you can place preorders at some vendors.

Thanks alot clears so much, do you have a link for it so I could buy it or not out yet

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=39

WARNING on this: this is for the PCB that will fit inside an O2 enclosure. Currently it is the only way to pre-order an ODAC AFAIK.

However, you should wait and see as they will very soon update their store page with the fully completed ODAC (should be ~$125-150) as well as ODAC+O2 combo (Probably ~$250-300). Anyway, JDSlabs said in their blog post from my earlier link that both of these finished products will be available prior to PCB's being ready to ship. So if you are willing to wait on these, mid-May is a good bet for availability.

Quick question...I have the X-Fi Titanium HD sound card, if I get this ODAC+O2 combo, would I lose the EAX sound effects that I'm getting from the X-Fi in games like Battlefield 3?

You arent getting EAX sound effects in BF3. EAX died out in 2006 after Microsoft killed DirectSound in Vista.

Yes, they did port EAX into OpenAL and it can be run on older games that were designed to use DirectSound as long as you are using the Creative Alchemy software.

But no games that have come out since about 2007 will ever use EAX anymore.

Save up for a Schiit Bifrost. I just got one about 2 weeks ago to compliment my Grado RS1's and Mapletree Ear+ amp. It's fully upgradable, so if new DAC technology comes out, you can upgrade it for 100-150 bucks.

The sound is very neutral and not-colored, which IMO is how a DAC should sound. The cleanest possible signal with no bias. My system is already colored enough with the mapletree and rs1!

Save up for a Schiit Bifrost. I just got one about 2 weeks ago to compliment my Grado RS1's and Mapletree Ear+ amp. It's fully upgradable, so if new DAC technology comes out, you can upgrade it for 100-150 bucks.

The sound is very neutral and not-colored, which IMO is how a DAC should sound. The cleanest possible signal with no bias. My system is already colored enough with the mapletree and rs1!

IMO, if you're going to spend $500 on a DAC, you need much better cans like the ones you have blinx to get anything out of it. Someone looking to only drop $1-200 on a setup most likely does not have $500+ headphones (Senn HD650 /Denon 5000 etc). Correct me if I'm wrong OP. If you really would like something that will perform admirably at the $200 level, look at the options from FiiO / Behringer.

Cheers,

Looks like the schiit bifrost falls way out side the requested price range. $350 versus the $200 maximum stated budget. The upgrade you mentioned for it falls right in the price range though.
http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=7

Schiit Bifrost is a great DAC no question. However I can easily recommend the Audioengine D1 which is a great all in one solution.

$169 with a headphone amp (decent one at that) and a nice quality DAC with 96/24-bit adaptive mode USB (virtually the same latency as Async) and 192/24 through its optical input (you won't ever have a need for 192/24 but its there anyway). I just bought the Audioengine D1 and I can't recommend it enough , great deal for the money.

I use a Fast Track Pro from M-Audio since I also use it as a studio tool. It's ~200 or get one used for less. DAC inside is quite nice for the price. Only thing I will say against this item, but may be moot is you can't run a headset with this, you'd need an actual phantom power condenser mic, but if you are at all interested in recording vocals, it's again a great way to go. 80ms latency at the lowest, which for my needs is fine.

They also want $100 bucks for a USB port....uh what?

No... They want $100 for a MODULAR usb DAC. It's completely autonomous from the rest of the DAC. IMO, if you only ever are planning on using USB for your input, I would strongly suggest looking at either the offerings from Violectric (bundle it up with the V100 ($900 w dac) or better [Hey, if you're spending $500 on a DAC and another $250-$400 for that amp, this is worth it]) or wait for the ODA+C for an all-in-one rig.

The V800 is going to be a rip off (Balanced Inputs? Bah!), and the tradeoff in components between the V100/V200 is negligible for the extra $200, from what I can tell (you get SLIGHTLY more dampening factor for you ultra low impedance {read IEMs} lovers).

So IMO your good options are a $1k setup, or a $100-$150 setup whenever they release assembled ODACs.

Cheers,

derp sorry I just noticed this was USB input...

also Benjus there are some good cans for under $200. The Audio-Techica ATH-M50's come to mind.

derp sorry I just noticed this was USB input...

also Benjus there are some good cans for under $200. The Audio-Techica ATH-M50's come to mind.

They are typical entry-level, sure. I haven't had a chance to listen to them myself so I can't comment. There are also the Beyerdynamic DT770s which can be had for $200 or less, and also the Sennheiser HD598s which can be had for $200 or less used. However, none of these options are considered mid-fi or hi-fi by any means. If you are looking ad hi-fi, start with the HiFiMan HE-500s and up (For drivers Sennheiser HD700s). Mid-fi focuses a lot on the Denons (Soon to be dead) as well as cans like the Sennheiser HD600/650.

My point is there are good headphones at every price point. BUT, only as you go up the ladder can you begin to hear how badly one needs a good source. M-50s aren't going to be nearly as accurate as the HD800s, etc.

Cheers,

Plus if you have never heard a very expensive set of cans before you may end up disliking it entirely. There are many people who simply love the HD800 but often admit that getting them to a properly amped sweet spot can be difficult. And there are even more than seem to hate them because they are extremely critical cans.

Never spend a huge amount of money on headphones without being able to return them or at least auditioning them to see if you'll enjoy them.

I would start small and then save up for something in the upper range , that's my personal opinion.

Back