DAC / External Sound card options for <$100

WarriorX

2[H]4U
I am having issues with my onboard sound and looking at getting a DAC / amp or external sound card as a way to hopefully get around the issue. If it provides a sound upgrade as well that is awesome too.

Usage:
Gaming
TV shows/Movies
Music

Looking for:
-Decent sound quality that works well with my Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones
-Zero buzzing/noise caused by interference if possible.
-Under $80 if possible but can go to $100 if needed
- Prefer to purchase from Amazon

Would be nice:
Microphone port is not necessary but if it has one that would be nice. If I get a DAC without one I would just get a USB adapter for the microphone.

Thinking about the FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier ($75) and pick up a USB adapter to use for my microphone.

Looking at other products as well, would appropriate any insight.

Thank you

I am having issues with my onboard sound and looking at getting a DAC / amp or external sound card as a way to hopefully get around the issue. If it provides a sound upgrade as well that is awesome too.

Usage:
Gaming
TV shows/Movies
Music

Looking for:
-Decent sound quality that works well with my Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones
-Zero buzzing/noise caused by interference if possible.
-Under $80 if possible but can go to $100 if needed
- Prefer to purchase from Amazon

Would be nice:
Microphone port is not necessary but if it has one that would be nice. If I get a DAC without one I would just get a USB adapter for the microphone.

Thinking about the FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier ($75) and pick up a USB adapter to use for my microphone.

Looking at other products as well, would appropriate any insight.

Thank you

Try a professional DAC, for example Behringer has affordable options.

Fiio E10k is a good choice. I have one and it works great.

Creative Soundblaster E3 is usually under $100 and has a mic input. Other than that though not a lot of headphone dac/amps have mic inputs that I am aware of. Fiio is slightly better in the amp department than the E3 which is meant more as a portable solution.

I love my ek10. Plenty of power and has worked great for over 2 years now.

Seconded for the Fulla 2 from Schiit. I've always been thrilled with their products

I have a Fiio Taishan that cost me £25. It's fantastic.

The E10k would certainly do the job as mentioned.

I need to get one for my son for xmas - leaning toward the E10k to tun his DT 770 Pro 80Ohm headphones.

Not sure I need a DAC that bad, but I don't like the headphone amp on my receiver and the Micca looks like a nice way to go back and forth with just a switch and much cheaper than the Fostex DACs...

Try out some DACs. If you can hear a difference go for it. If you don't - don't waste your money.

Back