DAC/AMP/Soundcard for AKG k 701

Rinthe

Limp Gawd
I'm getting the akg k 701 headphone for my computer.

Can you guys recommand me some dac/amp/soundcard for these cans?

My source files are v0 mp3 mostly.

You have so many options. How much are you looking to spend?
Audio GD's sparrow can be had for ~$235 and hifiman ef-2 below $200. I would definitely go with the sparrow if I were you.

If you're going combo DAC/Amp for sound quality for music, then the Sparrow is hard to beat as the value leader. It also offers a few swappable modules, should you want to play with the sound a bit. The EF2 allows for tube rolling for that very same option, but I wasn't a fan of the EF1, and since the EF2's amp is a slight step down from the EF1's amp, FWIR, ...well, there ya go.

But like Anodize asked: just how much wallet hurt are you looking for?

Actually, if you don't need USB, there's a Sparrow-GD basic with optical/coax up for sale for $138 here.

Last edited:
i really dont have a set price point at this moment. I want to explore a bit, so can you guys give me a range of options? But everything under say $500 excluding the headphone itself.

is the audio GD's sparrow enough to drive k 701?

also, do i really need to get a DAC? is mobo sound that bad? is DAC more important or AMP? I might not be able to get both right now

Last edited:
i really dont have a set price point at this moment. I want to explore a bit, so can you guys give me a range of options? But everything under say $500 excluding the headphone itself.

is the audio GD's sparrow enough to drive k 701?

also, do i really need to get a DAC? is mobo sound that bad? is DAC more important or AMP? I might not be able to get both right now

From the wording of your first post, you don't have the 701s already, right? My post assumes as much, so if you already do, then disregard the parts that don't apply.

If you have a $500 budget, you have a lot of options. The problem with that, though, is the slippery slope that is high end audio. Before you go and spend a few hundred bucks, you might want try out the 701s for a hundred hours and see how they sound out of your motherboard. If you're happy with what they sound like and want to keep them as-is, then so be it and don't start spending the extra dough.

If not, then you should start considering upgrades. The first of which might be to re-rip your files to 320k or flac and switching to asio4all for your output, as that's free and could provide you with a satisfactory jump in SQ. If after that step, you feel the need to upgrade, then upgrade.

To answer the question, as far as I can tell, yes, the Sparrow is enough to power the 701. The Sparrow's web page has a AKG701 in the photo of the cans that it was built around. To double check, you can shoot A-GD an email and they'll get back to you fairly quickly. Also, since it is a dac/amp, it would come in well under your budget and do quite well and avoid the need to get a standalone amp. Unless you happen upon a great deal, you probably can't get a clearly better desktop amp at that price anyway.

As for the necessity of a DAC, that will be your personal preference. I say yes. I find onboard sound to be noisier and less resolving than even a super cheap USB dac. For example, if I plug any mildly sensitive cans into my D630, I can hear buzzing and clicks, etc. A DIY alien-dac, the cheapest thing that comes to mind, eliminates that noise, and for that alone is a worthy investment.

To get the most out of the 701s you'll need a dac and amp, too, in my opinion. However, there are dissenting opinions out there in that regard (though audiophiles tend to ignore those dissenting opinions :D). First get the cans and see how you like them.

Thanks Wenglish, you're correct, i don't have the headphones yet.

Are 320k really better than V0?

Thanks Wenglish, you're correct, i don't have the headphones yet.

Are 320k really better than V0?

Technically better? Yes. Would you hear a difference on most songs? No, probably not. With the ever dropping price on HDs lately, I take it as a given that everyone has enough space to rip their collection in flac though (especially if they're considering $250 cans and then twice as much on a dac and amp).

At worst 320k will be a lateral move that takes up my HD space. But it's still a free move.

I'm thinking about the audio-gd C2. but my source will be motherboard for now... Do I need to get any additional cables with that set up? motherboard sound > audio-gb c2 > k701

If you can find one for the cheap, I still use a Chaintech AV-710 to get digital out to my DAC. Cheap, solid option.

Well, depends on what you want.

I got a FiiO E7 yesterday and I gotta say, it is slick over all. I'm still on the fence if it does the trick for which it was bought for me, but it is a USB DAC and headphone amp all in one package. Plug it in to a computer, you haz headphone out. No configuration, just works (in 7 at least). Seems to be low noise and well built. Only costs $100. I love the looks too.

I've read somewhere that using USB takes a lot out of the CPU? I do a bit of gaming so I don't want it to affect my gaming experience. Is this true?

I've read somewhere that using USB takes a lot out of the CPU? I do a bit of gaming so I don't want it to affect my gaming experience. Is this true?

Lol. What in the world is CPU limited nowadays? Besides insanely complex mathematical, biological, and graphical computations. Decoding sound is like crumb of a piece of crumb cake for the CPU.

As for the OP, a Heed CanAmp or a good tube amp are known to be able to drive a K701 pretty well. What's the budget anyways?

Go look at Head Fi. The 701 is not my favorite headphone. It is pretty nifty but yeah. Beyer 880 is my favorite, does everything well headphone under $700. It is also the most comfortable.

Dac/amp under $500? See if there is an Oritek used on head-fi. Pretty smoking sound for the money.

I don't know if I should really get a DAC, maybe an AMP is enough. I don't want to go over $400, But really want it to be around $200

Honestly, the 701 is a weird headphone. It is just hard to get it to sound right. Still cool sounding but yeah, a bit strange and artificial. Thats me being picky though. It lacks impact without a beefy amp. Still, it is a good headphone.

That is why I like the 880. Easy to power, sounds good out of a soundcard but scales great with better dacs/amps.

I think the Sparrow would be a fine solution though. No reason to spend $400 on an amp without a decent dac.

I think that you want version A and let them know it is for the 701. They adjust the setup accordingly. BNC isn't something you will use. It is another form of input/output like USB. Don't know about the tubemagic.

so will I be using the USB connection, not the optical or coaxial? there's no downside to using USB correct?

btw i'm seriously considering the sparrow now

Last edited:
Back