DA Offering Ice Cream For Violent Video Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
Okay Mr. District Attorney, I'm on my way down with a violent video game, please have my $59.99 + tax worth of ice cream ready. Oh wait, it's a scoop in a cup? Yeah, this is going to be a successful program. :rolleyes:

District Attorney Ed Berberian, whose firearm buy-back program two years ago was so successful officials scrambled for funds to pay for it, has a new target in mind this fall: Toy guns and violent video games. Berberian is joining forces with the Center for Domestic Peace and Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream to encourage families to get rid of toy guns and violent video games.

I guess I will add Ben and Jerry to my list of brands I will no longer buy for getting caught up in something so idiotic. How about offering ice cream in exchange for the voluntary sterilization of stupid parents? 50 scoops for getting the snip and 100 scoops for getting the tubes tied.

The leading cause of death is obesity, not guns, and yet he hands out ice cream?

Approximately 360,000 deaths a year are attributed to obesity. Approximately 400 deaths a year are attributed to accidental discharge (includes hunting accidents, police discharges, etc), and unless you accidentally shoot yourself, you aren't LESS safe having a gun yourself in your quick access safe. Guns are used approximately 2.5 million times a year in self-defense, with 92% of cases being deescalated by a warning shot or merely brandishing the weapon causing the attacker/invader to flee. As many as 200,000 women use a gun every year to defend themselves against sexual abuse.

Yet here this jerkwad liberal is promoting junk food, the leading cause of preventable death, over self-defense.

i should get cheap copies of terribly violent games and get a bunch of ice cream

I guess I will add Ben and Jerry to my list of brands I will no longer buy for getting caught up in something so idiotic. How about offering ice cream in exchange for the voluntary sterilization of stupid parents? 50 scoops for getting the snip and 100 scoops for getting the tubes tied.

Nah they are going to make money off this. No point in faulting a business for doing something to make money.

That said..this guy is a complete tool. The thing is the games don't even bother me. Honestly anyone who trades in a video game for a scoop of ice cream is a big enough moron anyhow. However the toy gun thing is just a shitty low blow tactic. Lets target little kids who don't know any better with an offer most of them won't refuse because they don't know better.

I wonder why publishers/developers never have anything to say to stuff like this. I'd think they'd be pissed, basically bribing people to get rid of violent video games (and asking them to never buy any again) but they never say anything.

Lets target little kids who don't know any better with an offer most of them won't refuse because they don't know better.

True, kids are stupid. An adult would know to use the toy gun to hit people over the head and steal their ice cream. :D:D:D

Smart way for the government to eliminate resistance by eliminating fast twitch reaction practice and turning citizens into useless fatties.

I just want to know how many deaths are caused by video games and toy guns.

The leading cause of death is obesity, not guns, and yet he hands out ice cream?

Approximately 360,000 deaths a year are attributed to obesity. Approximately 400 deaths a year are attributed to accidental discharge (includes hunting accidents, police discharges, etc), and unless you accidentally shoot yourself, you aren't LESS safe having a gun yourself in your quick access safe. Guns are used approximately 2.5 million times a year in self-defense, with 92% of cases being deescalated by a warning shot or merely brandishing the weapon causing the attacker/invader to flee. As many as 200,000 women use a gun every year to defend themselves against sexual abuse.

Yet here this jerkwad liberal is promoting junk food, the leading cause of preventable death, over self-defense.

I just want to know how many deaths are caused by video games and toy guns.
yeah, he pulled all the other stats out of his ass not sure why he stopped without fabricating some regarding how many deaths are caused by games

That's a good idea. Ice cream is a lot less harmful to human culture and you can eat it in public without getting weird looks. You can't play a video game in public without people gawking and wondering why you're not in your own home doing that.

And hasn't the government already spent fortunes on studies that have shown time and time again that there is no correlation between the crime rate and video games?

And the toy guns deal is just further pussification of the youth, and the left would probably prefer the boys playing with dolls.
It's like the gun buy back program. Thing is, some people do this.
Well funny thing with one of the gun buybacks at least, they had a news program that showed problems with gun buybacks:
1) The "no questions asked" policy for the gun buybacks encouraged firearm thefts for a quick buck, since no verification was made to ensure you legally owned that firearm.
2) A market was created for non-serviceable older neglected firearms, which were bought in bulk and turned in for far greater than market value, and in some cases the money used to buy a replacement new gun, in essence subsidizing the firearm industry similar to a "cash for clunkers" program.

Worse yet, in many instances the crime rate following large scale buyback programs actually increased in the short term.

1.) Bring shittiest game you can find.
2.) ????
3.) Free Ice Cream.

That means a free scoop of ice cream for everyone here. I know ya'll have a copy of Daikatana sitting around somewhere gathering dust. That is one of just 3 games I never finished, and it is the only game I never finished because it was so bad.

I have a few games I think are worth getting rid of for a cup of ice cream.

Well funny thing with one of the gun buybacks at least, they had a news program that showed problems with gun buybacks:
1) The "no questions asked" policy for the gun buybacks encouraged firearm thefts for a quick buck, since no verification was made to ensure you legally owned that firearm.
2) A market was created for non-serviceable older neglected firearms, which were bought in bulk and turned in for far greater than market value, and in some cases the money used to buy a replacement new gun, in essence subsidizing the firearm industry similar to a "cash for clunkers" program.

Worse yet, in many instances the crime rate following large scale buyback programs actually increased in the short term.

I have heard the arguments for #1 and I have to agree. It creates a backdoor for felons/criminals to dispose of their "hot" weapons and also get paid back in return (McDonald's GC anyone?).

I also remember seeing an article of a WWII (?) firearm that was given to this program and it was a collector's item that had previously sold for over $10,000.

At least for the violent video games, I cold probably find some old game that I could care less about and make something out of it.

Well to be fair, getting free Ben and Jerry's ice cream for a game is a better deal than you can get from Gamestop.

And hasn't the government already spent fortunes on studies that have shown time and time again that there is no correlation between the crime rate and video games?

And the toy guns deal is just further pussification of the youth, and the left would probably prefer the boys playing with dolls.

not sure what your motivation is, but you really enjoy making things up.

Are we talking games with violent content like GTA or Saints Row or games that make me wish to commit acts of violence like anything EA or Ubisoft?

Here's a guy who obviously hasn't seen the latest statistic that the average age of a gamer in this day and age is 31 years old... A single scoop of ice cream isn't going to make any adult turn in their video games over something that is a non-issue.

It's funny that [H] posted this a day after this compelling story on violent video games:
A new study finds that violent video games can improve teamwork, reduce bias and have positive effects on player's attitudes toward others. Take that Jack Thompson!
Canadian researchers, whose earlier work challenged assumptions about violent video games’ links to aggression, have come out with a new study that suggests when people from different social groups cooperate in a video game — even a super violent one — their impressions of one another improve and prejudices diminish.

Though I agree with this :eek::
Well to be fair, getting free Ben and Jerry's ice cream for a game is a better deal than you can get from Gamestop.

HMMM buy a bunch of blank CDs and write Call of Duty on them. Turn in for free Ice cream.

I want to disagree with this...

Unfortunately Ben and Jerry's will typically cost me about $5 and game stop is only gonna give me about $2 usually by the time I even think about trading it in.

I like buying used games from them for my kids DS's..not so keen on the trading in part. :D

HMMM buy a bunch of blank CDs and write Call of Duty on them. Turn in for free Ice cream.

You don't even have to use a real name like that. Just write Violent Blaster II on it or something. :D

Back