D3- Is the entire game this dark??

you flashlight babies should be put to shame. you should be thankful they had a flashlight at all... the flashlight was a late edition and id wasn't even gonna put on in there. but they decided to be nice for all you faint of heart. :rolleyes:

i swear. ffs...IT'S DOOM
it was made to scare the shit outa you
did me last night 4 times
weeeeeeeeeeeeeee
fuck flashlights..... :D

OldPueblo said:
Okay this is definitely not right (shadows). Maybe others are having this problem:

http://www.crandalldesign.com/pictures/1.jpg
http://www.crandalldesign.com/pictures/2.jpg
http://www.crandalldesign.com/pictures/3.jpg
http://www.crandalldesign.com/pictures/4.jpg

What you don't see is that the "shadows" are whipping all around me as I move. I had to walk blind towards the other airlock. I assume I'm supposed to be seeing landscape...

You're right, that's not right. Didn't look like that for me. I don't think those textures loaded for you properly. Try switching to a lower setting and go back through that area and see if that helps. Or turn down the OC on your vid card.

You guys are funny. I get slammed because I have a difference of opinion. Whatever.
I suck at the game because I dont like it...yeah right. Typical fan boy shit for a different product.

I turned up the gamma until I could actually see shit that had light on it. Its still damn dark and shadowy

All I know is that I cant play for more than about an hour at a time... and when it starts getting dark out I have to switch to a "happier" game. (Planetside)

My 7yr old daughter sits next to me when I am playing with a towel over her head and screams at everything that jumps out at me. then asks me when its OK to look :)

I hate it when you are walking down a corridor... and the lights go out. then WAP WAP WAP something is hitting you in the back. #$@#$%@% I turn around and in all my fright... hit the wrong button and try to punch the fireball throwing bad guys.

Anyway... Doom3 is kick ass and scares me half to death every time I play it.

PaulMuaddib said:
All I know is that I cant play for more than about an hour at a time... and when it starts getting dark out I have to switch to a "happier" game. (Planetside)

My 7yr old daughter sits next to me when I am playing with a towel over her head and screams at everything that jumps out at me. then asks me when its OK to look :)

I hate it when you are walking down a corridor... and the lights go out. then WAP WAP WAP something is hitting you in the back. #$@#$%@% I turn around and in all my fright... hit the wrong button and try to punch the fireball throwing bad guys.

Anyway... Doom3 is kick ass and scares me half to death every time I play it.

Yeah i still like the game, and will still play it...but I just wanted to respond on topic to the thread...IMO it is too dark too much and it makes it frustrating sometimes

It was mentioned before, but trying messing with the gamma:

Bring up the Console (Crtl+Alt+~), then type seta r_gamma "1.2"

The default is 1, and I wouldn't go over 2, as it make the lighting look awful. I bumped mine up to 1.3, and it helped quite a bit. I'm using a 3 year old LCD, so it's not that good at displaying differences between very dark colors. Bumping up the gamma made it much easier to notice the differences. Note that changing the brightness does nothing to help this. Don't go too much though, or it ruins the atmosphere.

Steel Chicken said:
You guys are funny. I get slammed because I have a difference of opinion. Whatever.
I suck at the game because I dont like it...yeah right. Typical fan boy shit for a different product.

your opinion is based on the fact that you seem to be unable to play FPS' properly. please practice then come back to us

I honestly don't know what people are looking for here. It's not a hard game (really). I'm honestly not a very good gamer when it comes to FPS on the computer, but I'm playing this on Veteran (or whatever the hardest difficulty was that wasn't locked). And I'm doing fairly well.

I'm kind of wondering if the people complaining about having no idea where the monsters are in the dark are the same people who have no surround sound. Because I do use the sound a lot I think.

But really once I see a monster with the flash light, I generally don't have a problem switching back to the gun.

Steel Chicken said:
1. go into dark room
2. hear monster (or usually figure out a monster is there because something just slapped this shit out of you)
3. turn on light
4. monster hits you
5. oh shit switch to gun
6. miss monster (cuz you cant see shit) (and your aim got f*cked up)
7. monster hits you
8. oh shit try to run, but you hit a wall or a crate or something because you cant see shit
9. monster hits you
10. repeat until dead

LMAO :p I'm still laughing my ass off in my cube here at work... People are like "wtf?"

PaulMuaddib said:

LOL! That cracks me up. I have a 7yr old daughter that does the exacty same thing. She had her blanket over her last night...lol

ALSO, I think the game kicks ass, I just with I could see everyting. I mean come on..the most anticipated game for he past 2yrs and you cant see all the eye candy..WTF?!!!!

kronchev said:
your opinion is based on the fact that you seem to be unable to play FPS' properly. please practice then come back to us

yeah i cant play properly because I dont like parts of the game. you logic is awesome.
and even if it IS true, that I cant play FPS properly...why does that make my opinion less valid? you have to be a hard core gamer who plays games all the time, and has no life in order to have a valid opinion on a game? my $55 didnot allow me to form an opinion on a product I bought? hahaha

my bad, i guess ill leave now, LOL

In all fairness you do see 'flash' from your gun ,depending on which one you use, plus if you run into a imp theres no way you'd miss a 7 foot monster hurling a glowing red ball at you :D

cepiatone said:
In all fairness you do see 'flash' from your gun ,depending on which one you use, plus if you run into a imp theres no way you'd miss a 7 foot monster hurling a glowing red ball at you :D

nah the flash is on...and i see the imps when they are blasting me LOL
but in some parts, its *so* dark you dont know they are there until they hit ya

I just want to see everything. They game is so sweet and looks so cool it a bummer you cant take in all the beauty ;)

Bring up the Console (Crtl+Alt+~), then type seta r_gamma "1.2"

I gave this a try and I like the setting with my newer LCD also....thanks !

For some strange reason when I picked up my copy of Doom 3....

I expected it to be dark! It's DOOM for crying out loud.

NOT sunny tropic Hawaii shirt game.

I personally love it. And even as dark as it is I can clearly appreciate the detail and level of effort that went into creating this master piece.

To lighten the game up type

r_gamma 1 (is default) In console
1.2 , 1.3 , 1.4 , 1.5 , 1.6. Well u get the idea.
Just find one that works for u. The higher the lighter

Add this to your dommcfg file. Allows console with "tilde"

seta com_allowConsole 1

Type this in console
com_showfps 1 (shows fps in game)

god - God mode
noclip - No clip
notarget - Invisibility
freeze - Freeze everything
doomhell - Jump to the last level
give all - All weapons and ammo
give doom95 - Load the '95 version of Doom
give keys - All keys
give weapon_machinegun - Machinegun
give weapon_shotgun - Shotgun
give weapon_plasmagun - Plasmagun
give weapon_bfg - BFG
give weapon_chainsaw - Chainsaw
give weapon_rocketlauncher - Rocket launcher
spawn [character name] - Spawn a character (see the list below)
map [map name] - Load a map (see the list below)
benchmark - Game benchmark
com_drawfps 1 - Show FPS
aviDemo - Saves a demo of your playing to an AVI movie file
gfxinfo - Graphics card infomation
status - Shows game status
quit - Quit game

Mars City 1 - marscity1.map
Mars City Underground - mcunderground.map
Mars City 2 - marscity2.map
Administration - admin.map
Alpha Labs Sector 1 - alpha1.map
Alpha Labs Sector 2 - alpha2.map
Alpha Labs Sector 3 - alpha3.map
Alpha Labs Sector 4 - alpha4.map
EnPro Plant - enpro.map
Communications Transfer - commout.map
Communications - communications.map
Monorail Skybridge - recycling1.map
Recycling Sector 2 - recycling2.map
Monorail - monorail.map
Delta Labs Level 1 - delta1.map
Delta Labs Level 2A - delta2a.map
Delta Labs Level 2B - delta2b.map
Delta Labs Level 3 - delta3.map
Delta Labs Level 4 - delta4.map
Hell - hell.map
Delta Complex - delta5.map
CPU Complex - cpu1.map
Central Processing - cpuboss.map
Site 3 - site3.map
Caverns Area 1 - caverns1.map
Caverns Area 2 - caverns2.map
Primary Excavation

map e3/intro (Loads intro movie)
map e3/e3_1 (Loads first map)
map e3/e3_2 (Loads second map)
map e3/e3_3 (Loads third map)
map fred/e3bathroom5

2Fresh said:
LOL! That cracks me up. I have a 7yr old daughter that does the exacty same thing. She had her blanket over her last night...lol

ALSO, I think the game kicks ass, I just with I could see everyting. I mean come on..the most anticipated game for he past 2yrs and you cant see all the eye candy..WTF?!!!!

Damnit, now I want a 7 year old daughter...me too! ME TOO!!! :p

JustForFun said:
Hope the tips help. Regardless, this game is simply STUNNING and I have literally been scared so many times that I actually "jumped" and I got shivers and goosebumps. "Without" the darkness - I doubt that would have happened. I applaud what Id has done and appreciate what they have tried to do here.

JFF:D

I thought i was weird for getting goosebumps all the damn time, lol.

Seriously, its DOOM 3, ITS GOING TO BE DARK, THE SCREENSHOTS BEFORE WERE DARK, THE GAME IS DARK. If you don't like it, you have no right to complain, because we all saw the screenshots for the past 4 years, and you paid your money for it full well knowing it would be dark. Now stop making threads about it and either play the damn game, or be a pansy and return it.

heyheyhey said:
Seriously, its DOOM 3, ITS GOING TO BE DARK, THE SCREENSHOTS BEFORE WERE DARK, THE GAME IS DARK. If you don't like it, you have no right to complain, because we all saw the screenshots for the past 4 years, and you paid your money for it full well knowing it would be dark. Now stop making threads about it and either play the damn game, or be a pansy and return it.

return software? what planet you on? who made you a forum nazi that can say what people can or cant post? heres a tip, dont read it

I dont think you guys completely understand his post. He is just making a valid point about the game. I love the game, and think it is one of the best games I have ever played. I dont think it is too dark, I just think this "Marine" isnt carrying enough light. no biggie though...

Back