D3 and lan parties

raz-0

Supreme [H]ardness
I haven't seen this mentioned in any reviews or peoples' comments so I figured I'd ask here.

Is the copy protection and network code for doom3 set up so that you can install off of one or two copies at a lan party and have people play together without cd-key issues?

I just want to know if there's any point in concerning myself with D3 for upcoming small lan parties I'm plannign for myself and some friends.

I'm curious as well, not that I'll be sharing my key, but I'd hoped to use one of my systems as a dedicated server. Unless I get a free copy of Doom3 at QuakeCon next week, I'll only have 1 copy for my systems. (but since only 1 will run it well, that's not a real concern)

I live with my brother, I'll install on his comp and try it tonight, so I can let you know later. I'm guessing you'll have an answer by then anyways, but if one isn't posted here, I'll settle the matter.

I'm also curious if I can run a dedicated server on one machine, and join it from another, but with only one cd-key...

I considered taking a day off of work to play doom 3, but I get paid by the hour :(

BF 1942 did that. 2 PCs could play off one key. Each PC had to have one of the 2 CDs

somehow colin, I suspect if you get an answer in tonight, you may very well be fitst.

BF1942 did better than that. You could start up off of each CD, and except for the machine acting as server, after you started you could do the disk swapping thing amongst other computers.

I hope they release a Ded Server file along with the first 1.1 patch for Doom 3. This is a better solution then requiring a full copy of the game just to run a server.

Back