D2D 5 Year Anniversary Sale- $5 a Game (50 Games)

It's indie games, what were you expecting AAA titles? There are some really good ones on there though, but I already have them. World of Goo is a great game.

well my comment was a statement about the servers getting hammered / delays, not a statement about timezones...

But they were up by noon CST even for you, whch is what he had, albeit mistakenly, said...

It's indie games, what were you expecting AAA titles? There are some really good ones on there though, but I already have them. World of Goo is a great game.

The Path is worth the $5...

One of them bothers me...

http://www.direct2drive.com/2/8047/product/Buy-Bridge-Construction-Set-Download

Bridge Construction Set

It's only 16.8MB...

D2D's website said:
Bridge Construction Set is about building a bridge that doesn't break, although watching your bridge creation break and plunge a train into the watery depths below can be half the fun. In Bridge Construction Set you design and build bridges and then stress test them to see how your creations hold up under pressure. When test vehicles pass over your bridge and make it safely across you know you've succeeded. If they plummet into the river you know you need to go back to the drawing board.

Weird... (Check out the overview video...)

If I called a game "Twin Towers Construction Set" and it was about testing whether or not your tower designs would withstand modern commercial airplanes slamming into them without collapsing, would they actually sell it?

Games in the same vein of casual gaming that I've liked, although perhaps not technically Indie, are:

Plants vs. Zombies
Crayon Physics (although too short for its normal price - $5 is good price though)

I'm at work so I can't see the list.

List:

Mount and Blade
World of Goo
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Sword of the Stars
Cogs
Light of Altair
The Path
Bridge Construction Set
GishGish
Zatikon

Mount and Blade is worth it, and if anyone hasn't played World of Goo yet.... wtf

Make sure you go to "All Games"and then sort by price... they have a lot more games for $5 that aren't advertised. Every Empire Earth game is there, both Max Paynes (I think only the 2nd was advertised), a couple more Indie games, etc....

This week is of no interest for me. I'm looking forward to see what's up for next Monday. Wondering how they're categorizing "war games", since GRAW 2 was up the first week. But they were also calling it an "Ubisoft" week, too, right?

yeah but they weren't up by the time the timer said zero, which he had also said.

No, you said that they weren't up "at that time" of noon CST...

My point was that it's kind of sad that we're watching this so closely that we're aware of possible 30-min delays in the list being available...

It's not like they're about to go OOS? (Assuming the site is indeed getting hammered at high noon...)

Judging by the last two weeks' lists, I suspect we're going to be disappointed come next week's War Games list anyway... Missile Command, anyone?

And maybe even... Warlords?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Warlords1.png

Running around outside playing cowboys with sticks for guns sounds more exciting...

Yeah nothing for me this week. I own all the games I would buy already on steam. I do recommend, World of Goo, Defense Grid and Mount and Blade. I think they all have demos.

No, you said that they weren't up "at that time" of noon CST...

My point was that it's kind of sad that we're watching this so closely that we're aware of possible 30-min delays in the list being available...

It's not like they're about to go OOS? (Assuming the site is indeed getting hammered at high noon...)

Judging by the last two weeks' lists, I suspect we're going to be disappointed come next week's War Games list anyway... Missile Command, anyone?

And maybe even... Warlords?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Warlords1.png

Running around outside playing cowboys with sticks for guns sounds more exciting...

Dern. I was pretty excited when I read "War Games". I was thinking FPS stuff.

I picked up Defense Grid only because the game actually uses steam so you can simply enter the cd key in your current steam account.

Picked up Mount and Blade, Light of Altair, Sword of the Stars, and Bridge Construction Set (no idea why on that one) this week. I would be kind of annoyed if I won the contest. I've pretty much bought anything of any real interest to me so far.

I was hoping Braid would have been on the list. The only ones I would consider are Mount and Blade and World of Goo. The rest seem like they should normally be $5. Hopefully the next week we get some good War games to make up for this week. Lets go out with a bang. My war games prediction:

Company of Heroes
A Call of Duty game
Act of War: High Treason
Men of War
World in Conflict
Brothers in Arms
A flying Game
An RTS
Far Cry 2 (hey why not?)
Full Spectrum Warrior
Fallout 3 (because we deserve it)

My war games prediction:

Far Cry 2 (hey why not?)

While I thought this was an awesome game, anyone who still hasn't bought it is still NOT going to buy it, even for $5...

FWIW - I bought it from Newegg for $3...

Looks kind of fun to create and destroy bridges and for $5 even if its only fun for a short time its not a huge loss.

If it's the version I am thinking of, it's quite fun. Lots of different levels with different challenges/materials (including hydraulics) as well as different requirements for the bridges.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to why some of the previous weeks' games are still $5 and some returned to normal price? I wanted to get Tombraider: Legend, but it's no longer $5.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to why some of the previous weeks' games are still $5 and some returned to normal price? I wanted to get Tombraider: Legend, but it's no longer $5.
They might have had limited-time arrangements with certain publishers or for certain games.

Yeah too bad. I was thinking of getting the Titan Quest pack for my brother and forcing him to sit down and play with me and a friend... but it's $20 again now, so no thanks.

This week was of no interest to me either. I already picked World of Goo on Steam, and most of the games I've bought on D2D are ones that I can't get on Steam for the same price (Bioshock, for instance, was an instant buy for me, as it's not region locked like it is on Steam).

so, i want to get a few of the games that are still available for $5, and i need some opinions.

So far in my cart i have:

Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena
Bioshock
Saints Row 2
STALKER Shadow of Chernobyle
Frontlines Fuel of War

I've read reviews on all of them, and they all look good, but i can only really get 2 or 3 games at most... which ones would you guys pick? I haven't played any of them (that i listed).

Adam

so, i want to get a few of the games that are still available for $5, and i need some opinions.

Bioshock
Saints Row 2
Frontlines Fuel of War

I've read reviews on all of them, and they all look good, but i can only really get 2 or 3 games at most... which ones would you guys pick? I haven't played any of them (that i listed).

Adam

IMO anyone who doesn't get Bioshock and STALKER for $5 is a fool. i'd recommend them even if the price was $50.

Bioshock
Saints Row 2
Frontlines Fuel of War

Adam
STALKER, Riddick, and Bioshock in order of preference.

Not to threadcrap, but I just recently played STALKER...

I didn't understand the hype... Shortest FPS I've ever played...

And I haven't played an FPS since... It seemed to hurt my opinion of these games if this is the best there is to offer...

Most definitely worth $5 though...

I've said it before, but I must have done something wrong...

Don't know how long it took, but it certainly felt like the shortest FPS I had ever played...

I asked on these boards for a recommendation of a game that would take some time to complete... STALKER was the reply...

IIRC, it was about six hours of gameplay?

I must have done something wrong...

I don't see how it's even possible to beat the game in six hours without cheats. Even just doing the story missions would take a lot longer than that.

Well, that depends. Did you explore or a lot of just do straight up mission to mission and go straight there? The game takes a lot more time if you just explore and find things rather then simply going from mission to mission.

Bioshock
Saints Row 2
Frontlines Fuel of War

Adam

Bioshock

Btw to play stalker correctly you need "stalker complete 2009" mod. Fixes a bizillion problems with gameplay, but does change anything unnecessary. Without it's just not very fun. Healings busted, gun mechanics busted, few other things it fixes.

Well, that depends. Did you explore or a lot of just do straight up mission to mission and go straight there? The game takes a lot more time if you just explore and find things rather then simply going from mission to mission.

Well, that reminds me of a glowing problem I found with vanilla STALKER...

It's supposed to be a wide-open world... I thought it would be like Far Cry, where you could run around anywhere...

Nope, kept running into these stupid fences... All over the damn place...

Not to mention the fact that STALKER seemed to need to stop and load another level just about every-other minute...

Hard to get immersed in a game when you're spending that much time loading (and since you backtrack so much, re-re-re-re-re-loading) levels...

I bought it and CS, so at least the devs got my support...

Well, that reminds me of a glowing problem I found with vanilla STALKER...

It's supposed to be a wide-open world... I thought it would be like Far Cry, where you could run around anywhere...

Nope, kept running into these stupid fences... All over the damn place...

Not to mention the fact that STALKER seemed to need to stop and load another level just about every-other minute...

Hard to get immersed in a game when you're spending that much time loading (and since you backtrack so much, re-re-re-re-re-loading) levels...

I bought it and CS, so at least the devs got my support...
Every open-world game has its boundaries. The area you can explore in STALKER is quite large though. And as for the loading, that can't really be helped; it's just how the game engine works.

Back