D-Wave Launches Free Quantum Computing Service

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
D-Wave just launched a free cloud quantum computing service called "Leap". Anyone can register an account for free on the project's site, which gives them 1 minute of computation time on a D-Wave 2000Q every month. D-Wave also released an SDK called "Ocean" to help users quickly set up quantum computing problems to solve, and set up a forum for those users to discuss their projects. D-Wave claims that precious minute of time is enough to "run between 400 and 4,000 jobs each month," and that users can pay $2000 for a full hour of access if they need more time.

"We want to enable hundreds of thousands or millions of developers to gain access to quantum computing technology, to understand it, and to develop applications," says Murray Thom, D-Wave's director of software and cloud services.

Every time I hear about quantum computing, I keep asking "How" and get zero response to the statement of "THIS WILL BREAK ENCRYPTION AS WE KNOW IT!". Usually someone says because quantum computing can known all possible outcomes at once, which, doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Even if say you unscramble the phrase "I went to the store today." in 256-bit encyrption, might there also be the possibility while decrypting it that a result would be "adfer sfer eiiew qeres fets" or " I went to the stoer today". Apart from running each possible outcome thru a linguistic algorithm to detect valid words/language and how will a PC recognize "I went to the store today" is the correct solution. If we expand that out, if it was decrypting my credit card number, how would it recognize that 16 digit number as the correct one compared to the other several million possible combos without literately trying to charge my card thousand trillion or so times to see which one goes thru.

Every time I hear about quantum computing, I keep asking "How" and get zero response to the statement of "THIS WILL BREAK ENCRYPTION AS WE KNOW IT!". Usually someone says because quantum computing can known all possible outcomes at once, which, doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Even if say you unscramble the phrase "I went to the store today." in 256-bit encyrption, might there also be the possibility while decrypting it that a result would be "adfer sfer eiiew qeres fets" or " I went to the stoer today". Apart from running each possible outcome thru a linguistic algorithm to detect valid words/language and how will a PC recognize "I went to the store today" is the correct solution. If we expand that out, if it was decrypting my credit card number, how would it recognize that 16 digit number as the correct one compared to the other several million possible combos without literately trying to charge my card thousand trillion or so times to see which one goes thru.

From what I understand of it, it goes across every bit of your statement to decrypt and assigns a probability of it being a 0 or 1, then cycles through trying it and bumping the probability for every bit slightly to be more or less probable until it gets to certainty.

First, please learn how to parse your thoughts. Walls of text do not help discussion.

Second, quantum computing is about solving problems in massively parallel ways at the same time, not linear like how CPUs do now. CPUs now do some parallelism, but not completely, like quantum processors can.

This, theoretically, means the problems to solve reversing how encryption works can be done so fast, that it stops being valuable (encryption). In that, the quantum processor can explore many different possible outcomes of reversing the encryption at the same time, and arrive at the solution years sooner than a modern CPU could. It's a force multiplication thing.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
It's what plants crave

First, please learn how to parse your thoughts. Walls of text do not help discussion..
Hail Grammar Nazi!
Image1.png

solving problems in massively parallel ways at the same time, not linear like how CPUs do now. CPUs now do some parallelism, but not completely, like quantum processors can.
Yes, that same old explanation of "it does it in parallel!" but as I said before, I'm not asking what a quantum computer does but "How" does it do it?

As a mere example, let's say we compare two processors from Intel like the i7-5000k and the i7-8000k. (made up models obviously). If the i7-8000k is able to render a video from 1080p h264 to 1080p h265 in 20 minutes and an i7-500k renders it in 30 minutes, it's not much of a mystery why and how it's been rendered faster. The i7-8000k may be running at a higher frequency (more operations per second), have a higher IPC count per core (can do more per cycle) or more cores. That's pretty self explanatory how the better performance is achieved. Literately, more computational power that's finite, measurable and concrete performance.

However, there is a limit in IPC. In one cycle, maybe the Intel i7-8000k might be able to use it's 10,000 Arithmetic Logic Units to do 10,000 Arithmetic operations (presuming they can be done in parallel and the next is not depended upon the result of the former to complete). So in Parallel, it would have a maximum of 10,000 numbers it could calculate in one cycle. Not in Parallel, if you are doing a two-step problem, you'd need 2 cycles and if a three-step problem, 3 cycles and so-forth.

However, you can't just calculate the 3rd step in a arithmetic formula without knowing the 1st and 2nd step's solution for many problems hence sometimes throwing more cores or more ALUs is not beneficial versus higher clock speeds. I use rendering as an example as it is a process that works quite well with parallel rending and more cores provides a moderate advantage.

This often applies to well algorithms for brute-force decoding too. Even if one has 10,000 ALUs working thru 10,000 different possible combinations at once, taking 100 cycles to complete, you'd still be limited to doing 10,000 possible combinations in parallel and until those finish, you can't move onto the next 10,000 possible combinations. With each being equally likely, you'd have to then do another 100 cycles for the next 10,000 combinations, ad infinium, until all 2^256 combinations were done or 2^64, etc. Depending slightly on level of encryption and number of bits involved.

One of the limiting factors in, testing different encryptions, is how many combinations can be solved in parallel is the number of arithmetic logic units limiting the number of calculations that can be done in parallel in one cycle. Sure you can increase the frequency to do more cycles per second or add more arithmetic logic units but you might just take breaking an encryption time down by 50% if you double the ALUs from say 40,000 years to 20,000 years. Big whoop. Even if you half that many times, your information is still pretty safe for within your lifetime.

By what mechanism, can a quantum computer do, say instead of 10,000 calculations in parallel limited by ALUs, complete a 1,000,0000 or 1,000,000,000 over the same timespan to "nearly instantly" crack any encryption, as articles keep claiming is possible/will happen. Having seen a chip handed out at a computing conference and held it in my hand, the quantum chip itself is smaller than most Intel DIE sizes. Plus, with Intel DIE Sizes already being like sub 20nm, I highly double a quantum computer manages to just shove infinitely more IPCs into the same space. As that would be more like a die-shrink than a quantum computer.

When you say it is a "Force multiplier" thing, I'd agree with traditional CPUs. We've gone from processors running in the million of hz to billions of hz, while the number of resistors per chip has gone from hundreds to billions and the number of cores from single to sixteen. So there's multiple factors improving at once that are all synergistic making a force multiplying affect as you stated about quantum computing. I can see how that applies to modern-computers but how does it apply to quantum computing? What's improved making the force multiplication affect on a quantum computer? Is it working at an infinitely faster speed like moving from GigaHz to TeraHz or PetaHz? Are there way more bits calculated per cycle? etc

So, once again, no explanation of how does it manage to do an infinite number of things in parallel at once. How does it actually work that it can do solve multiple things in parallelism at once? "It just does b/c it's quantum!" seems like a cough out answer. That's the most common answer I receive when I ask 'How, does it do near infinite parallel operations at once?' 'It does because it's quantum and that's what makes quantum so awesome!' seems ....like explaining how chickens are born by saying we know chickens are born because chicken exists. It seems like people just keep giving statements that don't actually address the 'How' of chicken birth and instead just explain chicken birthing is a process that is real, works and exists because chickens exist giving no insight into the how the process works.

Even googling tech websites, then tend to just provide a list of potential benefits of quantum computing and never touch on how quantum computing can achieve these results without just saying "b/c parallelism magic pixy dust!"

Last edited:
It's not about the ability to decrypt the message so much as it's about finding the keys that can. Shared-key algorithms (such as AES) are pretty safe still, provided the key length is long enough to keep the search times in the realm of impossible (AES-256 is still safe, AES-128 is not).

However, public-key algorithms are vulnerable since they almost all use the computationally hard problems factorization, discrete logarithms, and elliptic curves to generate public keys from private keys. With quantum computing, these problems become "easy" with enough qubits in the system. Since with public key algorithms, the public keys are supposed to be shared and thus are known by an attacker, it becomes trivial to find the right private key that created it when quantum computer get more powerful.

Even googling tech websites, then tend to just provide a list of potential benefits of quantum computing and never touch on how quantum computing can achieve these results without just saying "b/c parallelism magic pixy dust!"

I would suggest looking at math and physics sites to understand Quantum States and Entanglement. Here is a decent site that tries to dumb it down a bit. If you want something a little deeper, you can read here. Basically the difference is that normal computers work on detecting one state at a time, and generally works in serial. A quantum computer can look at all the states at once and determine an outcome. The Quantum states can be in flux in a number of ways allowing it to see multiple potential solutions, the entanglement allows it to correlate that to a number of other potential conclusions. It does all of this at the same time.

The types of problems you would generally feed a quantum computer are ones that involve looking at a lot of different data and trying to come up with a singular conclusion about the data. The tricky thing is you can't actually look at the results of each of its conclusions as that would change a state and thus the information. You would have to look at the overall conclusion of the results, meaning a combination at the time of the result.

But in the end, the answer is that we just truly do not fully understand Quantum mechanics yet. They are paradoxical and we can really only understand parts of it through experimentation, which eventually led to building Quantum computers to solve certain types of problems that involve massive amounts of data/questions, but only finite number of solutions.

Hail Grammar Nazi! View attachment 109161

Yes, that same old explanation of "it does it in parallel!" but as I said before, I'm not asking what a quantum computer does but "How" does it do it?

As a mere example, let's say we compare two processors from Intel like the i7-5000k and the i7-8000k. (made up models obviously). If the i7-8000k is able to render a video from 1080p h264 to 1080p h265 in 20 minutes and an i7-500k renders it in 30 minutes, it's not much of a mystery why and how it's been rendered faster. The i7-8000k may be running at a higher frequency (more operations per second), have a higher IPC count per core (can do more per cycle) or more cores. That's pretty self explanatory how the better performance is achieved. Literately, more computational power that's finite, measurable and concrete performance.

However, there is a limit in IPC. In one cycle, maybe the Intel i7-8000k might be able to use it's 10,000 Arithmetic Logic Units to do 10,000 Arithmetic operations (presuming they can be done in parallel and the next is not depended upon the result of the former to complete). So in Parallel, it would have a maximum of 10,000 numbers it could calculate in one cycle. Not in Parallel, if you are doing a two-step problem, you'd need 2 cycles and if a three-step problem, 3 cycles and so-forth.

However, you can't just calculate the 3rd step in a arithmetic formula without knowing the 1st and 2nd step's solution for many problems hence sometimes throwing more cores or more ALUs is not beneficial versus higher clock speeds. I use rendering as an example as it is a process that works quite well with parallel rending and more cores provides a moderate advantage.

This often applies to well algorithms for brute-force decoding too. Even if one has 10,000 ALUs working thru 10,000 different possible combinations at once, taking 100 cycles to complete, you'd still be limited to doing 10,000 possible combinations in parallel and until those finish, you can't move onto the next 10,000 possible combinations. With each being equally likely, you'd have to then do another 100 cycles for the next 10,000 combinations, ad infinium, until all 2^256 combinations were done or 2^64, etc. Depending slightly on level of encryption and number of bits involved.

One of the limiting factors in, testing different encryptions, is how many combinations can be solved in parallel is the number of arithmetic logic units limiting the number of calculations that can be done in parallel in one cycle. Sure you can increase the frequency to do more cycles per second or add more arithmetic logic units but you might just take breaking an encryption time down by 50% if you double the ALUs from say 40,000 years to 20,000 years. Big whoop. Even if you half that many times, your information is still pretty safe for within your lifetime.

By what mechanism, can a quantum computer do, say instead of 10,000 calculations in parallel limited by ALUs, complete a 1,000,0000 or 1,000,000,000 over the same timespan to "nearly instantly" crack any encryption, as articles keep claiming is possible/will happen. Having seen a chip handed out at a computing conference and held it in my hand, the quantum chip itself is smaller than most Intel DIE sizes. Plus, with Intel DIE Sizes already being like sub 20nm, I highly double a quantum computer manages to just shove infinitely more IPCs into the same space. As that would be more like a die-shrink than a quantum computer.

When you say it is a "Force multiplier" thing, I'd agree with traditional CPUs. We've gone from processors running in the million of hz to billions of hz, while the number of resistors per chip has gone from hundreds to billions and the number of cores from single to sixteen. So there's multiple factors improving at once that are all synergistic making a force multiplying affect as you stated about quantum computing. I can see how that applies to modern-computers but how does it apply to quantum computing? What's improved making the force multiplication affect on a quantum computer? Is it working at an infinitely faster speed like moving from GigaHz to TeraHz or PetaHz? Are there way more bits calculated per cycle? etc

So, once again, no explanation of how does it manage to do an infinite number of things in parallel at once. How does it actually work that it can do solve multiple things in parallelism at once? "It just does b/c it's quantum!" seems like a cough out answer. That's the most common answer I receive when I ask 'How, does it do near infinite parallel operations at once?' 'It does because it's quantum and that's what makes quantum so awesome!' seems ....like explaining how chickens are born by saying we know chickens are born because chicken exists. It seems like people just keep giving statements that don't actually address the 'How' of chicken birth and instead just explain chicken birthing is a process that is real, works and exists because chickens exist giving no insight into the how the process works.

Don't know the precise answer but I think I can direct you on how to find it...

I has something to do with the superposition state of quantum particles, so while a traditional CPU only has the standard binary states of on and off, a quantum computer is trinary as it can be on, off, or both on and off at the same time.

Outside of that little thing (massive thing) there is no difference between a quantum and traditional CPU afaik.

As for finding the answer reading around, I tried to read a couple scientific journal entries about that very thing, and all I can tell you is, I hope you have at least a Masters degree level of knowledge in computer science and Quantum mechanics because to a pleb like me it was like trying to decipher a long lost language off of a few pieces of broken pottery...

Last edited:
Don't know the precise answer but I think I can direct you on how to find it...

I has something to do with the superposition state of quantum particles, so while a traditional CPU only has the standard binary states of on and off, a quantum computer is trinary as it can be on, off, or both on and off at the same time.

Outside of that little thing (massive thing) there is no difference between a quantum and traditional CPU afaik.

As for finding the answer reading around, I tried to read a couple scientific journal entries about that very thing, and all I can tell you is, I hope you have at least a Masters degree level of knowledge in computer science and Quantum mechanics because to a pleb like me it was like trying to decipher a long lost language off of a few pieces of broken pottery...

That isn't true, basically no part of that was true. It doesn't work at all like a traditional CPU. Nor does it have 3 states. There are plenty of systems that have been built in the paste with multiple states. UMBC used to have a 5 state computer. They worked similar to how we understand currently computers. A quantum computer does not work at all like a typical computer. The way it handles states is completely different from tradiional computers.

so is like "adding" a 3d view on potential data (or multiple dimension however you want to word it)
by going with above poster, on or off (normal binary) on off and/or between (other variables) so is like taking a 2d representation and adding an extra dimension to the possibilities with the "ability" to go between these states as well.

probably would work INSANELY WELL for hashing purposes (mining) data abstraction, nuclear pattern testing and so forth...likely be incredibly adept at compute overall (so these real time raytrace/pathfinding "dreams" become a reality instead) I know IBM, HP and many others have been working on and with quantum computing for many years now, likely is a cost over benefit type situation.

not ready for "prime time" as optical based quantum computing is crazy fast at magnitudes less energy required to make it run and they do not have to keep on shrinking things like they have been doing the last few decades, they can use wonking big processors to do it.

Quantum computing truly is that "next frontier" (just like fibre optic were over copper connections) if anything it will cost a massive amount BECAUSE is WAY faster and there goes the "premium" to own it cost...look at m.2 drives as a perfect example of that "premium" tax, much faster even though about same cost or less to produce, but price jump quite a bit (because they can).

... while a traditional CPU only has the standard binary states of on and off, a quantum computer is trinary as it can be on, off, or both on and off at the same time.

Wow! That's like the signal lights on my old '69 MG. The Prince of Darkness was guiding us blindly into the future. Although...when it was both on and off it was with a burning smell.

Wow! That's like the signal lights on my old '69 MG. The Prince of Darkness was guiding us blindly into the future. Although...when it was both on and off it was with a burning smell.
I have a 72 olds cutlass and it does the exact same thing. Except it wasn't the prince of darkness, just the damn turn signal blinking...

Every time I hear about quantum computing, I keep asking "How" and get zero response to the statement of "THIS WILL BREAK ENCRYPTION AS WE KNOW IT!".

The armchair explanations I've read make it sound like a pretty significant departure from how classical computers do their work.

Rather than using logic tricks to add, compare, etc on sets of binaries - the qubits are entangled in a way to represent the interactions of some system. For encryption, particularly involving shared public keys - there are a few things known to an attacker about the system: the public key, some encrypted data that was captured, and the algorithm that was used.

The qubits would be entangled in a way that represents how the encryption algorithm does its work and the public key and encrypted data are provided as inputs. Spooky thermodynamics supposedly takes over and then forces the entangled system to settle at an optimal energy state that represents the solution - in this case, the private key. This of course glosses over a lot of details.

I think the reason they've not broken modern encryption yet (as far as we know) is due to key sizes exceeding the number of usable qubits in current systems, keeping the entangled system stable long enough to do this kind of work, and issues with programming complex tasks. There is some debate on the magic involved with how they intend to factor large primes and whether or not the current systems actually qualify as true quantum computers due to some of their limitations.

The military applications are enough to keep the research money flowing into this field. Even if it turns out to be nothing, they have to figure that out before the other guys.

The best way to think about it is each qbit acts 2^n classical computers. A 10 qbit quantum computer can act like 1024 classic computers working simultaneously. So at a simple level every time a guess is made to break encryption there are 1024 in possible solution in this example. IIRC either 512 or 1024 qbit computers will render most classic encryption schemes as pointless as they can be solved with quantum computers in ether constant or linear time as opposed to exponential time for classical computers.

To be less clear, it's not 2^n guesses but rather the state of the system exists in 2^n states (Heisenberg's uncertanty principle) and once the result is measured (cover being taken off) the answer is given. It won't always be correct but after a number of iterations there should be a convergence to a single answer. 'n' is the number of qbit.

For reading about that you can take a look at https://www.entrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/WP_QuantumCrypto_Jan09.pdf

Last edited:
Oh my, give some criticism on presentation and I'm suddenly a Nazi. Talk about knee-jerk hyperbole. Pardon me for ever criticising someone for their presentation skills.

And if you want a real quantum explanation, go talk to a quantum Engineer, not exactly the scope of this forum.

Hail Grammar Nazi! View attachment 109161

Back