D-Link pocket router V D-link DI-524

Rakinos

[H]ard|Gawd
In order to get my laptop onto the network at school I've been using a D-link DI-524 with the ethernet cable hooked up one of the lan ports. I picked up a pocket router on sale at OM in hopes of doing the same setup in a much smaller package, but with no luck. Both times I have had DHCP turned off with all off the other settings (90% positive) the same. With the pocket router I am able to get an IP address, along w. dns server, etc, but am unable to connect to the internet. Does anyone have any ideas?

btw: plugging the pocket router into my network at home works fine.

Perhaps knowing what kind of network your school is running would help. Even better, why are you carrying a router in your pocket to attach to an already existing network? Most colleges have DHCPED WAP's or Ethernet connections you can easily attach to unless the Network Admin is a network nazi and has it locked down so tight you can't even put in a static IP to route through in which case, your SOL.

Alas, our entire campus has one AP in the library, nowhere near my classroom, with only 2 ethernet jacks right in the front of the room. The network is on a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx network, and im picking up a similar ip address. My issue is why would one dlink product work fine, with the other giving me trouble?

Oh, and I've tryed the pocket router in another building on campus (same network) and it works fine.

Rakinos said:
The network is on a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx network, and im picking up a similar ip address. .

That's a strange IP scope for a network to be on, the old 169.254.xxx.xxx IP is the address Winders will self assign if it cannot detect a DHCP server on bootup.

Although I dont recall the second part of the ip addy, I know the 169 is ok as thats what the rest of the computers get on the network, along with the ip that I get when its working fine. The school just chose a weird subnet. It does say assigned by dhcp even when its not working.

Back