D-Link DWL-922 Wireless Router Aluminum Case

These are pictures of the first aluminum case originally made for the D-Link DI-604 Router, that is being revised for the D-Link DWL-922 Wireless Router and has been in progress for many years. Now that I finally have the miter saw and blade I might finally get around to finishing it. At the moment though it is still in progress as shown below:

The aluminum is probably worth more than that router now :p

So it serves a better a better purpose by cooling my router or at least that's what it would be doing if this routers software wasn't obsolete and crappy. Also I'm showing people what they can do with their routers by showing this mod. I just want to finish this, so other people can see my work once it's complete, so they can get idea's from me.

So it serves a better a better purpose by cooling my router or at least that's what it would be doing if this routers software wasn't obsolete and crappy. Also I'm showing people what they can do with their routers by showing this mod. I just want to finish this, so other people can see my work once it's complete, so they can get idea's from me.

Looking at your other thread,

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1880332

I don't think there is much demand for aluminum consumer grade router cases.

That much effort I'd want better hardware and better software.

I've never had a router overheat. Labor wise I'd just buy a new router.

I've never had a router overheat. Labor wise I'd just buy a new router.

At the time I would have bought a better router, but all the D-Link pretty much had the same software and I didn't have much money. Therefore, if I would have chosen D-Link I would have probably had the same issue with the software and keep in mind that Linksys probably didn't have SMARTWIFI or the SMARTROUTER interface. I don't really like Belkin routers either, but I guess Netgear would have been alright if they would have had something in my budget when I bought these.

I would just sell the aluminum. No offense but the craftsmanship is not there and there is no point of the case to begin with.

If you are dying to make a case why not use a 3d printer? Even if you do not own one you can make the design and pay the 15-30 to have it printed for you.

I would just sell the aluminum. No offense but the craftsmanship is not there and there is no point of the case to begin with.

If you are dying to make a case why not use a 3D printer? Even if you do not own one you can make the design and pay the 15-30 to have it printed for you.

I made this years ago and yes the craftsmenship is not the greatest, but 3D printers weren't available back then. Also, I don't believe you can print an aluminum case with a 3D printer and the cooling probably wouldn't be as good as with this case even if it didn't help resolve the software security issues that may have been causing the over heating to begin with. There is room for improvement and I do need to sit down an draft this to paper for my records as well because I don't remember the case specifications and need to measure every time I can't remember a dimension, which is really annoying and tedious.

Back