D-Link DIR-655 FS $86.64

Still, Wireless N (130) is better than G any day.

I have one of these AND ITS THE BEST ROUTER I'VE EVER HAD.

good router but still a 2.4Ghz. :eek:

I'm glad you brought this to my attention. It would suck to to receive a lot of interference, apartment complexes seem to have a plethora of 2.4Ghz cordless phones and other devices.

But.... you're in an apartment. I don't believe you will have trouble getting a stable connection in a small space.

But.... you're in an apartment. I don't believe you will have trouble getting a stable connection in a small space.

small?

uuhhhhhh, but i do. something was screwy. something else deserves the blame but my ap is not really responsive atm. hmm..

Last edited:
i love this router, bought it after i bricked my WRT54G with the DD-WRT firmware.

First one was screwy and didn't work properly, but after returning it to BB for a brand new one, it worked just fine ;)

Awesome router. Replaced my garbage actiontec from verizon with this a while ago.

The dir-665 has a beta new firmware out were you can plug in a usb storage device and share across the network. Anyone try this?

The dir-665 has a beta new firmware out were you can plug in a usb storage device and share across the network. Anyone try this?

Pretty much standard with the last couple of firmwares, you still need an app on the computer you wanna access it with and only one computer at a time. I use it to share my printer, this router rocks. I was having issues with Vonage breaking up when I had a ton of torrents running, this router fixed it. Love it.

Awesome router. Replaced my garbage actiontec from verizon with this a while ago.

I'm assuming you have FIOS? I currently use the Actiontec router, but hate it. It chokes alot. I read on other forums to change the Actiontec to bridge mode and use your own router.
Was it difficult to change?

Ive had this router for the past 3+ years and its been great! I cant believe the prices are still holding strong after all this time. I originally bought mine for $110 and thought that was a steal.

I'm assuming you have FIOS? I currently use the Actiontec router, but hate it. It chokes alot. I read on other forums to change the Actiontec to bridge mode and use your own router.
Was it difficult to change?

My actiontec kicked the bucket so I went to BB and got the DIR-655. Plugged it directly into the ethernet from my ONT. Had to call verizon tech support and they gladly released my IP from the actiontec so that the DIR-655 could hook to it or whatever. Big thumbs up on their tech support. After they sent me a replacement actiontec I disabled the wifi on it and hooked it up to one of the ports on the dlink like I was just adding a switch. Plugged the coax for TV on screen info into the actiontec as well and I was good to go.

bump..price is lowered again, but is $87.48

edit: no promo code needed

My actiontec kicked the bucket so I went to BB and got the DIR-655. Plugged it directly into the ethernet from my ONT. Had to call verizon tech support and they gladly released my IP from the actiontec so that the DIR-655 could hook to it or whatever. Big thumbs up on their tech support. After they sent me a replacement actiontec I disabled the wifi on it and hooked it up to one of the ports on the dlink like I was just adding a switch. Plugged the coax for TV on screen info into the actiontec as well and I was good to go.

Thanks for the info. Yesterday, I finally had Verizon setup the RJ45 connection from the ONT. Going to pick up a router soon.

Thanks for the info. Yesterday, I finally had Verizon setup the RJ45 connection from the ONT. Going to pick up a router soon.

I can testify that DLink's Wireless N routers are quality merchandise.

I have one of the DLink Wireless N routers, works great. But since my ex moved out
I really don't use it hardly at all anymore unless a friend with a laptop comes over.

It is still under warranty. If anyone is interested in it, shoot me a PM.

Great router, just got mine from BB last week for $85(used $30 of giftcards) replaced an aging netgear

this was a great router for me for the last two years, but the latest firmware killed it for me, I had to unplug it every day once a day to renew the lease from my cable modem, I didnt mind but my dad really doesn't anything about routers and they would call me at work for the last month saying my internet stopped working. D=link firmwares for this routers got better up until 1.21, but 1.31 just was a big let down, not only me their forum is full of people having issues with that firmware, it was a great piece of hardware killed by bad firmware. I am on to linksys wrt310n picked on up for 85 bucks at frys, so far the signal strength is really great and my internet has been up to 3 days straight for the first time in two months.

I've had the DIR-655 for about a year now, and never had any problems. I have a 8 port gigabit switch hooked up to it as well and we've had some 8 player LAN parties, with nary a problem. It's way better than my old WRT54G.
It's good to know about the new firmware bricking it though.
I don't see a reason to update the firmware.

Highly recommended!

Awesome router. For me, it's been cisco stable. Awesome throughput (on Comcast- FIOS is 50 feet way from me, but hey haven't pulled conduit on my street.)

One of the best hardware items I've ever bought.

Back