D-link DGL-4500 Xtreme N Wireless Gaming Router for $116.80 shipped ($100 off)

sh0rty

[H]ard|Gawd
D-link DGL-4500 Xtreme N Wireless Gaming Router for $116.80 shipped ($100 off)

PROMO CODE: DLINK648 ($100 off, expiration unknown)
http://www.dlinkshop.com/product.asp?sku=3742590

DEAD DEAL as of 3 JAN

One of the fastest, high-end 802.11n wireless routers out there! Lowest price ever by at least $30. I got in on this deal after owning a DGL-4300 (one of the best 802.11g routers) for over 2 years without having to reboot it. Gigabit WAN & Gigabit LAN, plus QoS for VoIP and gaming.

stolen from slickdeals..

This cant run the 2.4GHz band and the 5GHz band simultaneously. Does this mean it cant bond and increase the throughput or that all the devices must be on the 2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz?

all the devices must be on the 2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz?

this. You must configure the router to use one band or the other and then make sure your adapters will work on the band you choose.

Of course. And I just bought a D-Link DIR-655 for $106 today. Of freaking course. :mad:

Bleh, whatever. :p

Well newegg has it for $169 but you have to pay shipping also. So the price is definately hot. My question is about the usb port on back. Is there a way to plug in a usb drive and serve files from it? I'm assuming no. It's also to bad that it doesn't support dd-wrt, but not the end of the world...

dayum I can believe you guys are comfortable paying over $100 for a router

Quality isn't cheap.

The only router I've used that was under $100 was the WRT54GL, and it was only worth a damn because you could use 3rd party firmware with it.

Well newegg has it for $169 but you have to pay shipping also. So the price is definately hot. My question is about the usb port on back. Is there a way to plug in a usb drive and serve files from it? I'm assuming no. It's also to bad that it doesn't support dd-wrt, but not the end of the world...

Looking at this image from SmallNetBuilder:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/myin...dlink_dgl_4500/dgl_4500_rear_panel_detail.png

That USB port can only be used with Windows Connect Now, which is some sort of auto-setup feature like Wi-Fi Protected Setup. Unfortunately, you can't plug storage drives into it.

I got the DIR-655 3 days ago...

Oh well, no significant difference in performance. Still a great deal.

Looking at this image from SmallNetBuilder:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/myin...dlink_dgl_4500/dgl_4500_rear_panel_detail.png

That USB port can only be used with Windows Connect Now, which is some sort of auto-setup feature like Wi-Fi Protected Setup. Unfortunately, you can't plug storage drives into it.

You're right for the time that article was printed. However it's since been updated with new firmware and an application that allows USB device sharing over the network, the only catch is that the sharing application is 32-bit only. 'Sharepoint' is the last bullet point right there on the product page: http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=643&#DGL-4500

This vs the DIR-655 deal, which one is a better deal for someone that streams movies to his laptop (wirelessly) from a main pc hooked up via lan?

Yes you can share devices over the network using the usb port. You need to upgrade the firmware, and download the dlink sharing utility (dlink shareport usb utility) and install it on all client pc's. You can even plug in a usb hub to the port and share multiple devices not as fast as a NAS but it works very well, imo. I'm using it with a 655

A router? You can get a router for $40...lol at "gaming router".....that's marketing for you...suckers :p

A router? You can get a router for $40...lol at "gaming router".....that's marketing for you...suckers :p
Do a little research before posting what you profess as truth because you are incorrect. Nice thread crap as well.

The DGL-4500 is one of the highest performing SOHO routers with QoS available today. You can check the details here if you wish.

And that's an awesome deal... I am tempted myself.

This vs the DIR-655 deal, which one is a better deal for someone that streams movies to his laptop (wirelessly) from a main pc hooked up via lan?

The main difference is the 5ghz band for 802.11n on the 4500 so take your pick they both perform very well.

Do a little research before posting what you profess as truth because you are incorrect. Nice thread crap as well.

The DGL-4500 is one of the highest performing SOHO routers with QoS available today. You can check the details here if you wish.

And that's an awesome deal... I am tempted myself.

QFT. The uninformed makes me laugh ;) I have the DIR-655 already however the 5GHz band is definitely nice to keep interference down.

For those that need simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5Ghz the DIR-825 is around the same price. It is a cut down version of the DIR-855.

You have a.....Dynex router?

I love my DIR 655, I haven't had to do a hard reset on it in 6 months (since I bought it)....eons better than my piece of crap Belkin MIMO router...

You have a.....Dynex router?

I love my DIR 655, I haven't had to do a hard reset on it in 6 months (since I bought it)....eons better than my piece of crap Belkin MIMO router...

I just bought a 655 2 weeks ago as my first wireless router and it fucking rules. Haven't had to touch it since I installed it, everything in my house recognized it instantly, ps3, wii, xbox, 3 pcs with different wireless cards...everything.

I just bought a DIR-655 to replace my dgl-4300. It is the first d-link product i've bought personally I've been dissatisfied with, as it just doesn't do qos anywhere near as well as the 4300 did. I blame myself for not researching better more than anything. But i'm going to return the dir-655 and pick up one of these.

I just bought a DIR-655 to replace my dgl-4300. It is the first d-link product i've bought personally I've been dissatisfied with, as it just doesn't do qos anywhere near as well as the 4300 did. I blame myself for not researching better more than anything. But i'm going to return the dir-655 and pick up one of these.

The DIR-655 has had very high consumer satisfaction and great reviews on 95% of the websites that have reviewed it. What were your problems with it?

Hm, I haven't even opened the DIR-655 yet. Would it be worth it to return it and grab this? It'd only be $10 more...

The DIR-655 has had very high consumer satisfaction and great reviews on 95% of the websites that have reviewed it. What were your problems with it?

Specific problems are just performance while running torrents, as well as doing other things. I've tried to set up QOS to have HTTP and such as priority 1, but browsing just drags compared to a similar setup on on dgl-4300.

The coupon appears to no longer work. Too bad, its a was hot.

That's weird, I just used it a couple of hours ago.

well, congrats to those that got in...good deal while it lasted

Confirmed. A coupon in your basket is no longer valid.

Was a good deal while it lasted.

Sigh... I was going to order this as soon as I got home :(

I really wanted something that could take either tomato or dd-wrt that has gigabit ports. Guess I'll just get a 655 at Frys since it's only 79.99 over there.

Back