Cysis 2 DX11 and Sandbox Update

played through the first level with the DX11 tesselation and high-res textures packages and honestly the differences are there but it's very subtle...no way is it a night/day difference...

Night and day, no not overall, but a lot of the game does look significantly better, a lot of it not much different, the enhancements aren't even throughout the whole game.

Bash Crytek all you want, this is a fantastic looking game, nothing else out right now looks any better and it's demanding on Ultra for high-resolutions. This game can definitely eat up a lot of VRAM.

OK everybody:

Play through "Seat of Power" for some real DX11 visuals. Just keep playing for awhile until you resurface in the broken highway section. This section of the game looks the best so far.
Let me know what you all think.

And if any of the Nvidia owners are having graphic issues in this section. Roll your drivers back to 270.61.

the one thing that still stands out to me is that the foliage still looks really bad...Crysis 1 had some of the best foliage graphics ever...I wish they could have improved upon that because it would make a big difference

the stuff they improved upon does look better but they should have applied it to the entire game...the High-Res texture pack really did a good job but still too many instances of bad textures...reflections also are much improved...definitely adds some much needed polish to the game

this whole vram usage is confusing to me. for me at 1920x1080 max settings = around 1200mb used. then another user gets 1900mb same settings?

The VRAM on your 570s is being maxed out -- there is always a little overhead so it'll probably never get to 1.25gb exactly.

Looks like this is the first time 2gb+ cards will prove useful at 1900x1200...

The real-time scenes look pretty fantastic now.

I just finished watching the part where that Lockheart dude was kicking the shit out of Alcatraz toward the helicopter.

I'm gonna have to redownload Crysis 2 and check this out; the videos look awesome.

It's probably going to destroy my rig, though :(

I think I am the only one here who really likes Crysis 2. lol

Definitely not the only one.

The haters are just more vocal (as is usually the case). It's hilarious and extremely sad at the same time to read their posts though. First "Crysis 2 sucks because it doesn't support DX11" and "Crytek FAIL", then the patch comes out and "There's barely any difference" (when every game with DX11 support already demonstrated that the difference between DX9/DX10 and DX11 is minimal at best) and also "Now it runs like shit"...

There's so much idiocy in those comments that it blows my mind...

As for Crysis 2 with DX11 and the high-res texture pack installed, it's now clearly the best looking game out there, easily surpassing the first Crysis. The high-res textures pack is what really makes a difference. DX11 support (as in all the other games that support it too) is meh.

The haters are just more vocal (as is usually the case). It's hilarious and extremely sad at the same time to read their posts though. First "Crysis 2 sucks because it doesn't support DX11" and "Crytek FAIL", then the patch comes out and "There's barely any difference" (when every game with DX11 support already demonstrated that the difference between DX9/DX10 and DX11 is minimal at best) and also "Now it runs like shit"...

As for Crysis 2 with DX11 and the high-res texture pack installed, it's now clearly the best looking game out there, easily surpassing the first Crysis. The high-res textures pack is what really makes a difference. DX11 support (as in all the other games that support it too) is meh.

I concur, good sir. Game looks unbelievably good, and is pretty fun to boot :D. I feel like... upgrading... saw open box MSI Lightning Xtreme GTX 580 3GB's on newegg but missed them... is Kepler here yet or are those back yet :p? Need... more... horsepower! :) I actually like Crysis 2 a LOT more than Crysis 1 gameplay-wise to be quite honest, you lose a bit of the illusion of freedom but gain a much smoother experience with better guidance and still the same options that matter (plus the nanosuit is more polished and integrated).

I think most of the idiocy stems from certain persons who cling to one discreet aspect of the argument (i.e. lack of DX11 at release) in order to ridicule and deride anyone critical of Crytek or Crysis 2.

100% agreed, they owe pc gamers NOTHING. They are a business, no one forced or mislead purchasers. P.s. lol at suggestions by H to download patches 10x to waste bandwidth and screw owners of the game. How would H like if other sites recommended ad blockers here? Serious lol. For those who don't know what I mean, go read kyle post in news thread.

P.s. People ask why I dev for android and mobile, here in this thread is your answer, pc gamers! Wonder no more why we aren't pushing pc limits.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/241253/news/crysis-2-has-best-graphics-youve-ever-seen/

"We're aiming to set the graphical benchmark. Why would anyone not want to play a game with the best graphics they have ever seen, great gameplay, some engaging fiction, challenging AI, killer weaponry and a complete gaming experience like no other?"

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/256409/news/crysis-2-has-best-ai-in-gaming-history-crytek/

"We have the most advanced AI system in a game," Yerli told CVG. "We think that Crysis 2 has the most advanced AI for both humans and aliens you've ever seen.

"They will be showing tactical co-ordination, they will be more challenging but not unfair - they will be truly intelligent, thinking, fair enemies.

"I think from that perspective our gameplay experience will be very unique because on one hand you have a world that allows freedom, on the second hand a hero that allows freedom - but also an enemy that adapts to freedom and provides you constant challenge no matter what you do."

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/crysis-2-interview

What guarantees can you offer, once and for all, that the PC version of Crysis 2 will be texturally equal to or better than Crysis?

You know what’s funny? When we released Crysis, back then people didn’t judge it for that. I’m frustrated about this. We said it was a game that was pushing boundaries, which would stay relevant in the future, and all we got was a backlash: “This game doesn’t run!” Then games came out for the same hardware that weren’t running at all, or were choppy and whatnot despite low-res graphics. Yet we were the bad guys for pushing PC graphics, making it too expensive to play. Whatever we do seems to be wrong. Anyway, will Crysis 2 have hi-res textures; will it get blurry? Crysis 2 will have a PC version that’s a PC game. We’re going to push it as much as the engine can take. It’ll be at least as beautiful as Crysis, but the context is different. It’s New York. Not a jungle, but an urban jungle. You have to understand that the budget for Crysis was much lower than for Crysis 2. We could spend much more on Crysis 2 because we expected to sell more through multiplatform development. So PC gamers will get a better game out of that; it isn’t just take, it’s also give. The gameplay has received much more research about accessibility, streamlining and making it more fun, but also making it deeper. So every angle is improved. The amount of diligence and production volume we’ve spent makes it so much better than Crysis.

Part of the fear from gamers comes down to the hardware maturing while many of the games seem to regress: console control systems, FOVs, textures. PC gamers are just fed up of it.

Yeah. Crysis 2 doesn’t suffer from that, in my opinion – it’s superior from every angle. But this isn’t necessarily a game you can’t play today, or where you need another two years to max it out. That’s not the approach this time. Now, it’s more like we want to give you the best PC experience with current high-end equipment. So if you bought the last high-end graphics card, you’re going to get a blast out of it. Likewise, the minimum-spec experience will be of a far higher quality than Crysis was.

Some people just didn’t get the combat in Crysis. It was almost too ‘sandboxy’, and let them get away with the bare minimum.

It’s a fair point. In Crysis we didn’t force the player too much, we had them choose. But that devalued the Nanosuit itself, and sometimes people used it sporadically here and there but didn’t really push it. They didn’t feel they needed it to win. So what we did is made sure the AI is smarter in Crysis 2, and you have to be damn powerful to fight them.

Have you made it more linear to help focus that intensity?

I wouldn’t say it’s a more linear game. When people think that, they haven’t played it. I would say that maybe some areas are flowing more – we don’t have 1x1km islands because New York doesn’t offer that – but wherever we have play space available we try to offer a choreographed sandbox. Choreographed doesn’t mean linear – you don’t have to follow the script. You can change some outcomes and others are predefined, but you can play as you want.

It was ‘action bubbles’ in the first game – bottlenecks and playgrounds. Are you taking the same approach this time around?

It’s the same structure. But there are action bubbles here as big as some Crysis levels, and in a true 3D sphere. Crysis was a 2D sandbox, if you like, and this is 3D. You have much more height to play with, and you can engage that however you want.

Par the course with Cevat, half the crap he spews tends to be utter bullshit.

I concur, good sir. Game looks unbelievably good, and is pretty fun to boot :D. I feel like... upgrading... saw open box MSI Lightning Xtreme GTX 580 3GB's on newegg but missed them... is Kepler here yet or are those back yet :p? Need... more... horsepower! :) I actually like Crysis 2 a LOT more than Crysis 1 gameplay-wise to be quite honest, you lose a bit of the illusion of freedom but gain a much smoother experience with better guidance and still the same options that matter (plus the nanosuit is more polished and integrated).

I liked the levels in Crysis 1 better. I prefer to have more options to accomplish an objective and not just that one door that will lead me into another action set piece.
Still, that sort of "freedom" lost in Crysis 2 was not a deal breaker for me, especially since I liked the idea of playing in New York. The game was fun to play and as you said, the nanosuit is much more integrated in the action than it was in the first game. It's more on rails than the first one and for that alone I have to give it a lower score, but definitely a good game. I had no problems with the graphics before these patches. They were very good already, on many details better than the first game. With the patches, Crysis 2 goes beyond the first Crysis without a doubt in my mind.

As for performance my GTX 560 Ti @ Ultra settings, DX11 and high-res, 19201080, certainly feels the pressure. There's definitely a performance hit, but it's expected. Nothing that makes it unplayable though.

I think most of the idiocy stems from certain persons who cling to one discreet aspect of the argument (i.e. lack of DX11 at release) in order to ridicule and deride anyone critical of Crytek or Crysis 2.

Right :rolleyes:

Have a look at the Crysis 2 Official Thread and the first 40-50 pages filled with "Crysis 2 sucks because it doesn't support DX11" and then tell me that that wasn't the main argument for the hate. Have a look at a similar thread in the News section as well, with a similar tone in arguments against Crysis 2.

You may want to show that there were other arguments against it, and there were, but the gist of the hate was always towards the lack of DX11 support.
The idiocy is mainly seen in the very same people that criticized the game for the lack of DX11 support, saying that they would only consider buying it when it did have DX11 support, are now saying "too little, too late" or "performance sucks now" or "there's barely any difference" as another lame excuse to not buy the game, even after their main gripe with the game, is no longer valid.

I spent much time looking at the Crysis 2 Official Thread, lack of DX11 was but one of a number of complaints, many of which have been repeated in this thread, but I guess resorting to hyperbole and sweeping generalizations serves your purpose well.

Sandy Vag? PC gamers gave Crytek the opportunity to even continue making games, and they lie to us and bastardize our sequel. That's a legitimate complaint, not a case of sandy vag. I'm pleased with the work a lot of devs do on PC games. I'm not going to go around wearing an "I HATE CRYTEK" t-shirt, but I won't be buying any more of their shit.

And I've just played through Crysis 2 for about an hour with all of the new features turned on, and I can barely tell a difference, except that I get half the framerate.

This isn't even mentioning the deeper problems that Crysis 2 has, as I've stated before, like being too linear and having a gimped multiplayer.

ai can be super dumb at times too. I like C1 more then C2, C2 is still a fun game, but I expected a lot of things different, like way less linear gameplay, sure you can still make me get from A to B, but do I have to use only 1 street to do it? We expected more, like more destruction. Maybe we just has our hopes to high, but with Crysis 1 setting the bar, I think not.

Even with everything maxed out, the game is still just playable, 1920x1200 ultra settings, I get ~45fps avg 20min 70 max give or take.

Q9550 @ 3.8 and a single GTX 580 at 900 core 2150 mem

fingers crossed for Far Cry 3, run to the jungle.

I spent much time looking at the Crysis 2 Official Thread, lack of DX11 was but one of a number of complaints, many of which have been repeated in this thread, but I guess resorting to hyperbole and sweeping generalizations serves your purpose well.

Calling it hyperbole won't change the fact that the thread exists and people can check it out and confirm what I'm saying.

Some benchmark from the official benchmark.

Benchmark #1 on screenshot #1 refers to DX9 game
Benchmark #2 on screenshot #1 refers to DX11 game

SCREENSHOT #1 - Everything maxed out, 1920x1200, GTX580 single card:
crysis2_no_SLI.png

Benchmark #1 on screenshot #2 refers to DX9 game
Benchmark #2 on screenshot #2 refers to DX11 game

SCREENSHOT #2 - Everything maxed out, 1920x1200, GTX580 SLI:
crysis2_SLI.png

Last edited:
Calling it hyperbole won't change the fact that the thread exists and people can check it out and confirm what I'm saying.

Yes they can, and they will find a plethora of complaints quite apart from a lack of DX11. Even within the space of a couple of posts someone has already raised complaints about lack of physics/destruction, linear gameplay and crap AI but you of course conveniently ignore such criticisms which are obviously not congruent with your hypothesis that EVERYONE is and was whining about lack of DX11 and nothing else. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes they can, and they will find a plethora of complaints quite apart from a lack of DX11. Even within the space of a couple of posts someone has already raised complaints about lack of physics/destruction, linear gameplay and crap AI but you of course conveniently ignore such criticisms which are obviously not congruent with your hypothesis that EVERYONE is and was whining about lack of DX11 and nothing else. :rolleyes:

Did I say "EVERYONE" ?

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037442470&postcount=432

Silus said:
You may want to show that there were other arguments against it, and there were, but the gist of the hate was always towards the lack of DX11 support.

Guess not...you are the one using hyperbole for the sake of your argument. But let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Part of the fear from gamers comes down to the hardware maturing while many of the games seem to regress: console control systems, FOVs, textures. PC gamers are just fed up of it.

Yeah. Crysis 2 doesn’t suffer from that, in my opinion – it’s superior from every angle.

This is the sort of BLATENT LYING I've come to expect, which is sad but it's true.

See what is MOST FRUSTRATING about this sort of horse shit is that:

1) It's PREDICTABLE, half of the PC gamers saw the low FOV and the mouse acceleration and the shit controls coming a mile off.
2) They're SPECIFICALLY queried about these issues, we show concern before they release the game so they have time to get this crap correct.
3) They ACKNOWLEDGE the issues saying everything is all fine and dandy and not to worry.
4) They fuck it up anyway.
5) The community has to hack the game to pieces guessing console commands and ini values to fix this shit for them.

What REALLY takes the fucking cake is that this stuff is so mind numbingly trivial for a developer to fix, half of this stuff is like 2-3 client variables that need switching before they compile the final release for the PC.

I can't come to any other conclusion than they simply do not give a shit, they just do not care, we've shown concern with ample time for it to be fixed, we're clear about what the issues are, we've moaned and complained at this being a problem in god knows how many games for god knows how many years, it's public knowledge that PC gamers are dissatisfied so every developer should know by now STOP RELEASING FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS WITH 55 FOV AND MOUSE ACCELERATION IT'S NOT FUCKING PLEASANT TO PLAY, KNOCK IT OFF!!

It makes me so mad that we continue to have these issues, it makes me want to roll up a newspaper and walk into the development offices and start smacking developers on the nose like a BAD DOG until they fucking learn to get this most basic of things correct, because honestly I don't think there's any other way to teach them.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Right :rolleyes:

Have a look at the Crysis 2 Official Thread and the first 40-50 pages filled with "Crysis 2 sucks because it doesn't support DX11" and then tell me that that wasn't the main argument for the hate. Have a look at a similar thread in the News section as well, with a similar tone in arguments against Crysis 2.

The idiocy is mainly seen in the very same people that criticized the game for the lack of DX11 support, saying that they would only consider buying it when it did have DX11 support, are now saying "too little, too late" or "performance sucks now" or "there's barely any difference" as another lame excuse to not buy the game, even after their main gripe with the game, is no longer valid.

I think you'll find your problem is that you're taking opinions of individuals, lumping them in to a group based on some common element and then saying these opinions conflict. Sorry you can't do that.

If you have a specific issue with an individual flipping from one argument to another then by all means call them out on it, I'm all for correcting an individual if what they're saying is wrong or inaccurate.

People don't need "excuses" not to buy a game, not buying the game isn't something we have to be excused out of. People decide to buy or not and they do so based on personal reasons and "too little too late" is a perfectly good reason for some people.

I will NEVER support developers who treat PC gamers like 2nd class customers, either they release the game to us properly or no sale, if they're going to lie and deceive and release inferior products I couldn't care less how much they attempt to correct the situation. They can either get it right next time with Crysis 3 or they can simply do without my money, their fucking choice.

No but you insinuate a very large majority, but misconstruing posts is what you are all about :D

Happy to continue disagreeing with you now and for the foreseeable future.

See what is MOST FRUSTRATING about this sort of horse shit is that:

1) It's PREDICTABLE, half of the PC gamers saw the low FOV and the mouse acceleration and the shit controls coming a mile off.
5) The community has to hack the game to pieces guessing console commands and ini values to fix this shit for them.

This really seems like pointless bitching to me. You can change it with a config file and/or a console command, seriously, its hardly a fucking hack. We all have keyboards, is it really that hard to type...

cl_fov=75
i_mouse_accel=0
i_mouse_smooth=0

People complain about consolisation in games yet aren't competant enough to do the "PC" thing and use the exact same method for changing things as they used in Crysis 1.

What pisses me off is when games like Dead Space have absolutely no option to change it. It really does come across as moaning and whinging when PC gamers on an enthusiast forum come out with stuff like "Crytek are so horrible because they moved an option from a menu to a console command!"

it's a complaint in general, many games don't document console commands, don't enable developer console, some even encrypt the fucking ini files to stop editing, some need special switches for the exe in order to enable command line access, some don't keep the settings saved properly so you need to start write protecting config files, and it goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on.

Wouldn't it just be easier if the developer just compiled the final release of the game with settings which aren't really stupid?!

But that is quite apart from the fact that Yerli blatantly lied about that particular issue (and several others) on the record. I fail to see how users being able to correct the issue, irrespective of any perceived triviality, somehow excuses Yerli or anyone else from such morally bankrupt behavior.

In any other industry/profession you will get screwed to the walls for behaving in that fashion.

So, Crytek had this DX 11/Ultra texture stuff planned all along but waited to release it so the game wouldn't have a "runs like shit" reputation at launch?

No but you insinuate a very large majority, but misconstruing posts is what you are all about :D

Anyone that reads them will surely think otherwise, but ok.

And yes, I would say that 40-50 pages out of 70-80 (in the next couple of days after release) of bitching about lack of DX11 support is the majority,

defiant007 said:
Happy to continue disagreeing with you now and for the foreseeable future.

Be my guest. I don't really care. That's what ignore lists are for.

I think you'll find your problem is that you're taking opinions of individuals, lumping them in to a group based on some common element and then saying these opinions conflict. Sorry you can't do that.

If you have a specific issue with an individual flipping from one argument to another then by all means call them out on it, I'm all for correcting an individual if what they're saying is wrong or inaccurate.

I can and I did, especially when some of them are the very same people. Again, go read the Crysis 2 Official Thread...especially the first 40-50 pages.

PrincessFrosty said:
People don't need "excuses" not to buy a game, not buying the game isn't something we have to be excused out of. People decide to buy or not and they do so based on personal reasons and "too little too late" is a perfectly good reason for some people.

When someone uses the "A game without X graphics API sucks" argument, it means one of two things: A) that person is an idiot B) it's just an excuse.
There's no personal reason attached to a graphics API not being in a certain game. If there is, then I point you to point A).

As for "Too little, too late" don't make me laugh. Some of those people were whining that they would only buy the game WHEN it had DX11 support, but when that support comes out, it's suddenly "Too little, too late" ? Hypocrisy comes to mind, but that's way too common in these forums, so it comes as no surprise.

PrincessFrosty said:
I will NEVER support developers who treat PC gamers like 2nd class customers, either they release the game to us properly or no sale, if they're going to lie and deceive and release inferior products I couldn't care less how much they attempt to correct the situation. They can either get it right next time with Crysis 3 or they can simply do without my money, their fucking choice.

No, it's really ONLY your choice. They couldn't care less about you or me. They care about the majority that will give them enough money in sales to justify Crysis 3. So, it's really only your choice of not wanting to support them anymore or until they have something you like better. If by any chance you think ANY other developer is different in this regard, then you really need a reality check.

So, Crytek had this DX 11/Ultra texture stuff planned all along but waited to release it so the game wouldn't have a "runs like shit" reputation at launch?

How do you come to that conclusion ? They took a little over 3 months to release this. Why do you think they had this all planned out ?

All planned out means Day 1 DLC or some crap like that like Valve and others do. It's certainly not something released 3 months after the game was launched.

I think there may be something to that. The console fans are a big market, but they don't want to acknowledge that console hardware is getting long in the tooth and cannot compete with current PCs. So game developers may risk pissing them off showing a new game that looks really cool on the PC, but doesn't measure up on consoles.

Apparently some of that happened with Battlefield 3. All the videos/shots have been of the PC version. Ok, no surprise it will look the best and you put your best foot forward right? Well apparently there was some backlash when the console graphics were shown off at E3 because they aren't as good. The console types didn't want to admit/acknowledge that their hardware cannot handle it.

trust me, most of the console players are so fucking dumb that they can't even imagine that the pc is technologically 10 years ahead of their shitty can boxes. they think they own the best harware around

How do you come to that conclusion ? They took a little over 3 months to release this. Why do you think they had this all planned out ?

All planned out means Day 1 DLC or some crap like that like Valve and others do. It's certainly not something released 3 months after the game was launched.

"With Crysis 2 being our first multi-platform game, our main focus was to ensure a successful delivery on all supported platforms. Unfortunately, such constraint didn’t allow us to concentrate on DirectX 11 with the level of commitment that is to be expected from a Crytek release.

This is the reason why it was decided to give the R&D team sufficient time and effort after the release of Crysis 2. The “DX11 Ultra Upgrade” is the result of this work: it is a free visual upgrade add-on introducing DirectX 11 support, as well as a wealth of graphical improvements and performance optimizations for both DX11 and DX9 API’s."

http://www.mycrysis.com/sites/default/files/support/download/c2_dx11_ultra_upgrade.pdf

Um, that just confirms what Silus said, that it wasn't meant for day 1 and was planned as a post-release free upgrade. Try again (please, don't...)?

What i get out of that statement is it was intended to be in the shipping game but the time table made them put it on the backburner to be completed after launch. They already delayed the game from Fall 2010 to March 2011, another delay would have Ea throwing a hissy fit.

What i get out of that statement is it was intended to be in the shipping game but the time table made them put it on the backburner to be completed after launch. They already delayed the game from Fall 2010 to March 2011, another delay would have Ea throwing a hissy fit.

I don't see how you can conclude from that statement that it was supposed to be on the shipping game. They just say that they didn't have time for anything else other than to focus on a successful launch on all platforms, because this was their first multi-platform game.

Only after the release did the team have time for DX11 support, etc. And the 3 months they took to get this out, is a strong indication of that.

In regards to the "majority of people whining about DX11" comments, just look at all the people bitching about how terrible it looks, particularly people who haven't even played the game.

The 2GB of updates makes a bit of a difference graphically, but it is subtle. The game was gorgeous beforehand, yet the lack of a "DX11" mark on the box all of a sudden means that it looks terrible.

Other people bitch about the "consolification" of the game, I guess primarily the more "on rails" bit. Fine, valid, although really even though you could roam in Crysis 1 it wasn't really anything to do there. There have still been PC centric games that have come out that are even more on rails yet don't get the same bitching.

The nano-suit is much improved, the lean system is the best I have seen implemented in any FPS to date.

Let's be honest, if Kyle hadn't jumped on the front page with over the top comments, a significant portion of people wouldn't even be in these threads posting the "zoMG crysis 2 is ugly and consolified and impregnated my sister!" :rolleyes:

I don't see how you can conclude from that statement that it was supposed to be on the shipping game. They just say that they didn't have time for anything else other than to focus on a successful launch on all platforms, because this was their first multi-platform game.

Only after the release did the team have time for DX11 support, etc. And the 3 months they took to get this out, is a strong indication of that.

Well mainly this quote

Unfortunately, such constraint didn’t allow us to concentrate on DirectX 11 with the level of commitment that is to be expected from a Crytek release.

Which to me seems to imply that the game could have shipped with a couple of basic dx11 effect, instead they held back and made a proper dx11 pack.

trust me, most of the console players are so fucking dumb that they can't even imagine that the pc is technologically 10 years ahead of their shitty can boxes. they think they own the best harware around

Actually, it's simpler: they don't care.
They have the console to play games, not to bitch about graphics.

Which to me seems to imply that the game could have shipped with a couple of basic dx11 effect, instead they held back and made a proper dx11 pack.

I don't understand something, though: why didn't they just delay the release of the PC version of the game, instead of releasing it crippled?

Back