Cysis 2 DX11 and Sandbox Update

As far as SDK goes, they have not said with 100% certainty they will ever release a non gimped SDK.

They're already getting ready to release the Crysis 2 SDK and coming after is the complete, stand alone deal, just like UDK, which will be enough to make an entire game from start to finish.

That's not non-gimped enough?

I'm not getting 60fps anymore. This is crap. It's unoptimized garbage. Fail console sellout companies are fail.

Everything set to Ultra settings, With the new packs, DirectX11, Tesselation, 1920X1200 with 3 6970 cards in tri-fire im getting 50 to 60 FPS everywhere. Its not exactly ground breaking graphically, I really thought it would look better then this. Oh well BACK TO WITCHER 2!!!!!!!!!!!

They're already getting ready to release the Crysis 2 SDK and coming after is the complete, stand alone deal, just like UDK, which will be enough to make an entire game from start to finish.

That's not non-gimped enough?

That will be good. Part of the draw with CryEngine 2 was the mod community.

ha now that's funny :D

Weird thing is it was going on for ages, i shot a guy in that building and then went outside to clear the rest, all the while hearing the same 3 or so lines of audio for about 5 mins, when i went inside thats what i found. The ai had been standing there doing the same audio\animation loop for all that time. Even when i uncloaked right in front of hmi he just contiinued with it. :rolleyes:

A video was posted on Youtube showing what the new updates should add to Crysis 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKJZ8Ua5sWQ&feature=player_embedded

With their main focus on consoles this seems like a joke now. It's great that they finally released the DX11 patch, but it's now just an afterthought rather than something to celebrate.

Even with it being a joke after seeing that video it peaked my interest enough to look into buying it. At a nice discount of course. :)

triple-facepalm.jpg

mfw first people bitch about not having DX11 and some textures not being absolutely picture perfect, but now can't run these features because their systems aren't powerful enough.

I'm only using a 19" 1440x900 monitor for my gaming machine still, dual radeon 5770s @885/1335 should be more than enough for my resolution. Moving to dual 6870s before I get a new monitor for sure.

EDIT: Running fraps while playing through the first level I got the following (keeping in mind my resolution isn't particularly high): min:25 max:85 avg:51.26

Last edited:
To be honest, no I haven't played the game with the new visual patches but I have little interest in replaying Crysis 2 just to see a slightly higher res texture or some DX11 effects.

I still revisit Crysis 1 from time to time to enjoy the jungle and ocean and fan mods. With Crysis 2, Crytek has encrypted many of the modding files and are still mum on whether or not they will even release an editor (Sandbox 3) for owners. Crysis 1 is a beautiful game. Crysis 2 is mundane and locked down.

I enjoyed the gameplay of Crysis 1 but Crysis 2 felt mundane, artificially small, limiting. The island works well because the ocean and mountain feel like natural barriers that are real. Crysis 2 is full of rubble and barriers and cars that block your path in what should have been a large, navigable city. As I get older, I become increasingly annoyed at such scripted artificiality because these things are basically the same as the piles of crates we had in FPS's 10 years ago.

I have to admit, the new tesselated bricks and POM dirt tracks and splashy water all look beautiful, but they are things you easily ignore when playing. It doesn't make it part of the experience in a world that makes realism beautiful and fun.

The Witcher 2 on the other hand, that game has made me hold my breath at it's graphics and the world it creates despite it being no where close to the technicality of the upgraded Crysis 2.

Crysis 1 had those same artificial/invisible barriers...try swimming too far out in the ocean and a message comes over the radio telling you that you have 10 seconds to turn back...if you don't turn back a helicopter comes out of nowhere and kills you

people seem to have short memories...I remember a lot of people complaining about Crysis 1 saying that the game sucked once the aliens hit.

the Crysis 2 map editor will be released on Wednesday

Crysis 2 had really nice water effects in certain areas even before the DX11/Hi-Res packs...sounds like you're being extra harsh on Crysis 2 for some reason...it didn't have the jungle terrain so it sucks?...so if Crysis 2 took place in the same jungle as the first game you would like it?...and you're saying that Witcher 2 has inferior graphics to Crysis 2?

Bop, I have 1x 6950 And was getting 15-25fps, and the game was not really playable. I was thinking this might be a good time to get a second one, not just for this, but for future things as well. Does it feel playable at 25-30 FPS?

Thanks.

Well, coming from games where my average fps is 100+ it feels somewhat crappy. The Witcher 2 ran smoothly at max settings once the CF fix came out so the second 6950 definitely had an impact there. 120+fps on a 120hz screen feels smooth as butter.

EDIT: C2 actually feels smoother now... not exactly sure why. Possibly since I am fully inside the city now. I forced AA off in the config but I think it's off by default. The object setting is definitely key to making it run smoother. Definitely very playable with dual 6950s at near max settings.The game isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

My understanding from Crysis one was that object is like draw distance for things like rocks, and shading deals more with how realistically drawn those rocks are. Not sure about that but that it what I think.

Ok, that's helpful. I'll just tone down the object setting since I probably won't miss much.

Last edited:
Heh, irony is defending this all day, installing the packs and then Crysis 2 not working at all. :p

Launches to a black screen where it just sits until I hit Esc and it closes back to desktop.

Heh, irony is defending this all day, installing the packs and then Crysis 2 not working at all. :p

Launches to a black screen where it just sits until I hit Esc and it closes back to desktop.

try moving your config file out of it's directory. See if it replaces it with a new one. That may help at least get you into the game. Check the forums maybe.

Yeah, omw to check out the forums. Looking at the folder it generates a log, it seems to freeze up at initializing the renderer.

Well fucked or not, Crysis 2 with these patches is looking like it's the new poster child for high-performance PCs getting up the rear where the GPU don't shine.

23 FPS average on Extreme on the sig rig at 5760x1080. Still very playable and the fucker looks awesome. I've got a lot of games and none of them look this good.

Well fucked or not, Crysis 2 with these patches is looking like it's the new poster child for high-performance PCs getting up the rear where the GPU don't shine.

23 FPS average on Extreme on the sig rig at 5760x1080. Still very playable and the fucker looks awesome. I've got a lot of games and none of them look this good.

3D? :D

Got it working, had to launch it from the executable rather than Origins, odd. Anyway, yes this thing now is an asskicker, although still very playing at 30-60 FPS that I'm getting right now in sig rig @ 2560x1600.

I'm thinking about picking up this game from Amazon (DL version). I was just wondering, are there any differences between the downloadable version or the retail boxed version? Is there a client that I would have to install (not preferred) or is it just a straight download? Also, is there a limit on how many times I can download it from Amazon?

Thanks!

Meh, didn't notice much of a difference really. Will EA or Crytek re-release this game on Origin with DX11 imbedded one day? Hope so, well at least Crytek finally gave us DX11 and I'm happy.

I feel bad for Crytek to be honest

Crysis 1, ships with DX10... enables 'very high', which can be done in DX9 via config at higher framerates and look exactly the fucking same.
-> FUCK YEAH DX10 SUPPORT AT LAUNCH.
-> Uguguughu TOO BAD THE GAME WAS UNOPTIMIZED AS FUCK.

Crysis 2, ships with DX9... launches as one of the best looking games on market, runs smooth as fuck.
-> Immediately forget everything ugly that ever existed in first game
-> It runs... good?? FUCK THAT IT LOOKS LIKE HORSE SHIT. FUCK CONSOLES.
-> DX11 patch, dual card setups begin to get massacred, is the next step a loop back to complaining?

People are literally impossible to please no matter what. Would people have felt better if DX11 was in from the start and did nothing just like DX10 in the first game did? Well, here's the patch, pretty nice visual overhaul with performance that will probably increase with driver-hax, config tweaks, and patches. SDK is dropping soon followed by their answer to UDK. So I guess if Crysis 2 wasn't your thing you're now more then welcome to mod it until it is or just flat out create an entirely new game.

haters have to hate :D, yeah, wait for the next round of complaints (fuck crysis 2, it runs terrible on my 4x6970 rig, fuck for unoptimized shit) ;)

What's with all the haters? Downloaded today's patches, everything's maxed out except Objects and Shaders, which are at Extreme and everything's running at a very playable 30-40 FPS. It looks amazing, in fact I don't think I've ever seen a better looking game.

Great graphics, great performance, yet the tone of this thread is so negative. :confused:

The world owes you nothing. Crytek owes you nothing. I personally thing $59 is a fair price for cutting edge technology.

Not to start a whole ati vs nvidia thing but its running fine on 2 570's here.

It's also running fine on my single 6970 at 1920*1200)anywhere from 30fps(explosions outdoors) to 60fps(indoors) with an average or around 45fps. But everyone's definition of "fine" is different, so that might have a lot to do with it.

on a side note I was going through that geforce site for those nice screen by screen comparison, and what the heck is with the whole content of the site in flash?, its really slowing things down (just to be clear, i still haven't purchased crysis 2, im trying to weigh in if im gonna wait more for a price drop on digital DL)

What should I expect @ 1680x1050 on a single 460?

Well here is video of a overclocked gtx460 running at 1080p.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKkRI5uNmJo"]YouTube - ‪Crysis 2 PC - Ultra DX11 Upgrade, 1920x1080‬‏[/ame]

played through the first level with the DX11 tesselation and high-res textures packages and honestly the differences are there but it's very subtle...no way is it a night/day difference...

Kickin ass on my 580's with my 30, maxed.

Good stuff, looks great - thanks Crytek!

Ignore the little baby, bitching Sallys here..

Man, I don't even wanna know what my framerate is now :D It was horrible but I managed to play up to the Dock level (after the little sequence with the tanky vehicles) on Post-Human Warrior. It looks great, but the improvement is subtle. Vehicles are super shiny now, probably too shiny. Sewer areas also look a quite a bit nicer. There's now that "noise" effect that I remembered in Crysis 1, most noticeable in low-lit outdoor areas.

Either crossfire isn't working (2x6970s) or the graphics update is tearing my PC a new ass. Looks nice tho, although it runs like ass at 2560x1600. I'll have to drop the res to 1920x1200. :(

Hm looks like it has something to do with tesselation. Perhaps a new CAP is needed. Putting objects to "extreme" instead of "Ultra" about doubles the performance at 2560x1600.

this whole vram usage is confusing to me. for me at 1920x1080 max settings = around 1200mb used. then another user gets 1900mb same settings?

Back