Cyborg R.A.T. Mouse

Just got onboard the RAT bandwagon after picking up a 7 today. This thing is awesome, the build quality and drivers blow both Logitech and Razer out of the water.

Why in the hell did I wait this long?!?!?

Just got my RAT 5.. feels ok. I hope I dont have any issues with it.

G5 and RAT 5
1638z.jpg

Last edited:
well, the first couple of days with the 7 we're great, but.....I'm beginning to notice something very odd.
twice now the mouse just stops responding, cursor won't move but the right mouse button works. the only way I can get the mouse to start tracking again is by unplugging it and plugging it back in.

there's no accumulation of dust around the lens and I'm using a Puretrak Stealth mousepad.

software version 7.0.13.22 and driver 7.012.0

anyone know what could be causing this? suggestions?

I have had that similar problem. It happens to me when my computer comes out of sleep. The mouse clicks work but no movement. Its almost like the laser is not getting the message to kick back on.
Not sure what the answer is. This happens on old and fresh win 7 64 install.

I just bought a rat 7 the other day and I am not really enjoying it yet. I dunno can it be over sensitive? I set the dpi to what I used on my G5 snd G500 and I'm just not digging it.

Also since I have installed the software for the rat I have had some odd windows glitches.

Either way I have a Corsair M60 coming tomorrow, gonna give that a whirl.

Yeah I know what you mean about the over sensitive. I have the hardest time being accurate on web pages highlighting words and things. Mouse acceleration on and off doesn't seem to help much. I seem to be getting alot of wrist and arm fatigue with this mouse. Im not sure if its because the way I hold it or if im tensing trying to move the mouse accurately. I really want to like this mouse. I hope I can get used to it.

Anyone have any thoughts on the MMO R.A.T. 7? I was thinking of giving it a whirl but don't want to drop that kind of coin for it then end up hating it.

Picked one up from Amazon and gave it a short whirl...ended up sending it back. Could get "comfortable" with it...seemed almost too long for my hand. That being said, no issues otherwise and it looked pretty sweet. :)

Anyone have any thoughts on the MMO R.A.T. 7? I was thinking of giving it a whirl but don't want to drop that kind of coin for it then end up hating it.

I use one. I like it so far. Don't really use it for mmos, it's great for fps games. My only complaint is I keep hitting the autolock buttons by accident. Worth what I paid though

I recently got a MMO 7 for SWTOR from Amazon. I just sent it back today. I was using a regular Logitech G700, but wanted more buttons for the mmo. So here's why I returned it:

1. While it's highly configurable, the bottom palm rest part is poorly done. If you extend it (slide it out, making the mouse longer), it leaves a wide gap between it and the top portion of the mouse, and instead of hump to support your whole hand (if you're a claw user, this may not be a problem). However, the palm rest is kept in place by an extremely flimsy and loose lever, and the slightest pressure causes it to come loose and start sliding again.

2. The software is antiquated. You have to manually change profiles, and it doesn't store them on the mouse either. Logitech has had automatic profile switching based on applications since what, 2000? That's inexcusable for a mouse this expensive. And remember, to use the additional buttons on the mouse, you need to manually configure them and store them in profiles. Also, no options to change pointer acceleration.

3. Even though the mouse claims X number of configurable buttons, there are some that can't be changed, such as the mode/profile switcher, and these buttons they call ActionLock, which I can't really understand what they're used for or why anyone would use them.

In any case, I'm going to try a Razer Naga next and see how that goes. Really wish Logitech would do an MMO mouse, as I've loved every mouse I've used by them.

Don't go Naga, hardware is okay, but software is pisspoor. Razer Synapse is moody software. Sometimes it will crash,s ometimes it will not run, sometimes it works perfectly. It's like Razer created drivers with PMS :)

Also, for Logitech, you should read their forums, and people begging Logitech to finally make G700 use Logitech Gaming Software and not Setpoint - I tried G700 with SW:TOr and wel, making G700 remember keybinds, was a hard job, so after 1 day of fighting to make it work, I just sent it back, and will stay away from any mouse that is Setpoint based.

I won't have problems with profile changing manually, and since my mouse is never taken away from my computer, I don't see the point of having profiles stored on her. But to each his own.

The more important thing is, how the sensor works, is it improved from regular Rat 7, and all the problems it had, been solved? If yes, then Naga goes to cellar, and I get a new mouse :)

Don't go Naga, hardware is okay, but software is pisspoor. Razer Synapse is moody software. Sometimes it will crash,s ometimes it will not run, sometimes it works perfectly. It's like Razer created drivers with PMS :)

Also, for Logitech, you should read their forums, and people begging Logitech to finally make G700 use Logitech Gaming Software and not Setpoint - I tried G700 with SW:TOr and wel, making G700 remember keybinds, was a hard job, so after 1 day of fighting to make it work, I just sent it back, and will stay away from any mouse that is Setpoint based.

I won't have problems with profile changing manually, and since my mouse is never taken away from my computer, I don't see the point of having profiles stored on her. But to each his own.

The more important thing is, how the sensor works, is it improved from regular Rat 7, and all the problems it had, been solved? If yes, then Naga goes to cellar, and I get a new mouse :)

My G700 right now works perfectly with SWTOR, haven't had any issues. It works with logitech gaming software, but you have to install setpoint along with it. I've been fine so far.

The RAT software has a limited number of profiles that it can switch to (forgot if it was 3 or 6). In any case, there's no indication other than the led's on the mouse itself which profile you're currently on or by opening their software. No way I'm going to do that. Right now I've attached my G700 to about 4 games and 8 other applications I use regularly. No way I can remember to manually toggle which is which.

As for the sensor, my limited testing was it worked fine (no random mouse tracking). Didn't try Z-Axis, but I almost never lift up my mouse.

Ugh those pictures dashed my hopes that this would be a viable alternative to a gripless G9x for those of us with small hands or who are finger mousers. Even shrunken down to its smallest, I can't see it being nearly as small as the naked G9x.

Hi, I'm in need of help :(

I have R.A.T. 9 mouse, but it doesn't work.
I would like to ask you something - should the serial number be the same on the usb receiver and the mouse, or different? Could you check how is it with your mouse?

Do you have any idea how to make the mouse work? It is recognized by WIndows and I have installed included software. The light on the mouse and the usb receiver is on. But the mouse doesn't work. I've tried on many computers.

Thanks

Hi, I'm in need of help :(

I have R.A.T. 9 mouse, but it doesn't work.
I would like to ask you something - should the serial number be the same on the usb receiver and the mouse, or different? Could you check how is it with your mouse?

Do you have any idea how to make the mouse work? It is recognized by WIndows and I have installed included software. The light on the mouse and the usb receiver is on. But the mouse doesn't work. I've tried on many computers.

Thanks

My serial numbers are the same for both the mouse and receiver.

just got my R.A.T.5 last night and put it through some Borderlands. Have to say it's a little tricky switching to it from smallish laptop mice, but I definitely think it shows promise. Not sure I'll ever really end up using the multiple profiles, but it's nice to have the option. I love macro keys but rarely use them anyway.

Last edited:
I had to send in my RAT9 for repairs & while I was waiting I went back to my Sidewinder X8. The RAT9 had me spoiled. It felt like it was carved out of a solid chunk of steel while my X8 felt like it was going to fall apart at any moment. Needless to say I am happy to get my RAT9 back.

The good:
-highly customizable and comfortable for me
-handy thumb wheel
-solid construction

The bad:
-pointer is sometimes slow to wake (5-10 secs of mouse movement to respond)
-pointer moves up slightly with mouse clicks even at 1100dpi
-thumb buttons work intermittantly with software installed
-poor tech support

At first I was really happy with this mouse. Previously I had a G5 (great but wore the pads), G9x (good but thumb buttons too close to my grip so I was hitting them accidently and tilt wheel responded intermittantly after a while), Roccat Kone + (good until scroll wheel broke completely after a few months).

This mouse is almost great, but something about the shape makes the pointer move enough for me to miss simple windows buttons, not to mention what that does for aim.

There also seems to be some kind of software conflict preventing me from using the thumb buttons for push to talk. I suspect the Logitech G19 software is the source of the conflict. After uninstalling the mouse software the thumb buttons work fine but the profiles are not saved on the mouse so I can't use it without software (dpi switching does seem to still work).

I contacted Saitek on March 8 and still haven't heard back, so I am back to Logitech with a new G500 sitting on my desk.

Just tried this at MLG this weekend. It felt pretty good in my hand but I don't know if I'd actually purchase one.

Worst customer service ever.

My left mouse click has pretty much lost it's 'click' after 10 months of owning the rat 7

If the mouse didn't cost so much it wouldn't matter, but they are not replying to my emails..... ANNOYING

I ordered one earlier this month, as far as I can tell it's tracking to the best of its ability, but still isn't very accurate for precise moments, it's too heavy even without the weights and it spazzes out to small amounts of dust. RMAing, ordering a G9x, this isn't acceptable at $75+ price range.

My Deathadder is better for FPS.

I've never seen the advantage to a Cyborg R.A.T. mouse. Sure, they look cool, but after you have it set up the way you want it, you probably won't mess with it again. Kinda gimmicky imo, but I have to agree it looks really cool!

Welcome.
Since three days I held Cyborg 7, mouse appealed to me, but looking for pads that would be best to check with RAT7.
My Razer Destructor White, is no longer used.I'm thinking of Razer Megasoma-white, or something else most of Cyborg7?
Sorry for my english, I hope someone will understand me and recommend me the best pad R.A.T.7

Anyone knows where to find spare parts for R.A.T. 7? The ones inside, I mean, not the body parts. My mouse lost horizontal axis, which could happen with twin eye sensor. No cleaning or other simple solutions work, so I think that my sensor died. I tried couple of other mice, but they just don't feel that good as my RAT7 does, which WAS awesome for me and suited me like no mouse ever. Since new one is unfortunately too expensive, and I am very skilled with soldering iron, I think I could replace sensor with no trouble at all.
Where can I find it as a replacement part?

I hate to ask the obvious, but did you try typing the part # of the sensor into Google and seeing if it was available as a separate unit? I've never heard of the end consumer being able to buy those, but they might be available somewhere.

Or perhaps contact Mad Catz about an RMA repair? Even if it's out of warranty, they might repair/replace for a fee.

That was fast reply, nice to see this active forum! :)
I don't have part number, unfortunately. I tried to google "replacement philips twin eye sensor/ laser price" in all variations that I could figure, so far no sellers, just articles that describe the sensor as well as mice that use it. No reply from Mad Catz yet, but perhaps it takes more time for that. That is why I posted here. I hate to bother other people if I didn't deplete other options of solving the problem myself, so that would be pretty much one of last options, to cry for help from others. :(

Wow! Found it! The part number anyway... Thanks guys anyway! :) If someone is looking for it too, search for pln2020. Now I can do it properly, thanks imyourzero! :)

Interesting to see that this thread won't die, different RATs continue to be my daily drivers, big fan of the MMO lately. Looks like the Tournament Edition is up next.

VnYSERi.jpg

Last edited:
Back