Cyborg R.A.T. Mouse

Anyone had problems with installing the drivers and software for this mouse (RAT7)?

I cant install either of them, it doesnt detect the device so the driver program wont complete.

Im running Win7 64, trying to install the latest versions from the cyborg site, Tried it with no other peripherals, all usb ports, in safe mode, everything uninstalled in dev manager with no luck :(. The mouse 'works' with the basic windows driver but all configuration is unavailable without the cyborg software.

Looked around and I can see some threads elsewhere that seem to allude to the problem but noones posted a solution.

Im really out of thoughts, anyone seen/resolved this? Im almost at the point of RMA which seems ridiculous for a driver installation issue.

Make sure you've got the correct download. I've seen a few people somehow get the wrong driver recently which I'm guessing is because they manually browsed the FTP site rather than using the downloads page on the main site.

32 bit drivers

64 bit drivers

Oh and if you have the Albino or Contagion then it's a whole other download - check the downloads page.

Whilst you're at it, we just uploaded the latest version of the programming software today so grab that from the downloads page too.

Unfortunately yes I have the right driver, ive actually downloaded the 32 and 64 from both sites just in case.

Seem's my mouse's hardware ID (PID) doesnt match what the installer expects.

Unsure how/why this could happen, really annoying as the mouse is super comfy and hardware quality seems great.

Rich - the new driver from today now finds my mouse, must have been a different hw version or something.

Absolute hero, now I dont need to RMA :D.

Thanks!

Has Cyborg gone out of business? I sent a support ticket a few weeks ago & yet to have heard back from anybody yet.

Far from it. Support are still backlogged from the usual Christmas support rush though so email support may well be fairly slow right now. You can post it here and I'll see if I can answer it...

had my rat 7 for a week, really happy with it, I couldn't live without the pinky rest now.

I have read that they are shipping out Rat 7 with 6400 dpi like in the albino without any notice. Any that the drivers are getting messed up. If you are having problems try the albino or contagion drivers. I guess they where having problems with the dual eye on the 5600 sensors

I have read that they are shipping out Rat 7 with 6400 dpi like in the albino without any notice. Any that the drivers are getting messed up. If you are having problems try the albino or contagion drivers. I guess they where having problems with the dual eye on the 5600 sensors

We're just rolling the DPI up through the range - the 5 now has 5600, the 7 and 9 have 6400. Windows drivers are all fine - we're just hammering out a couple of issues with the Mac drivers at the moment and hope to get them up on the site this week.

The Contagion and Albino drivers won't work because they are identified as a different product (it's how we can ensure you get the correct coloured R.A.T. in the software interface).

Far from it. Support are still backlogged from the usual Christmas support rush though so email support may well be fairly slow right now. You can post it here and I'll see if I can answer it...

I am having problems with my mouse locking up when I put a depleted battery into the charger. Basically, when it comes time to swap batteries, I pull the charger one out of the dock & the depleted one out of the mouse. I put the charged one in the mouse & its working fine in windows, however, when I put the depleted one into the charging dock, my cursor locks up. I have to restart windows to get it to work again.

Got my Rat 7 yesterday from amazon and I really like it going from my Logitech g5. I wish the left/right wheel would pan web pages back and forth like the g5 did then pushing the wheel left or right. The back thumb button is way back.
The pinky rest is the best part! Also I wish the sniper button was a softer push. Feels like I really have to get a grip to hold it down killing my chance of pulling off that headshot I almost had lined up.

Also I cant see anywhere that the rapid fire can be assigned to something. Not that I think I will even use it but it would be nice to know how to program it.

I am having problems with my mouse locking up when I put a depleted battery into the charger. Basically, when it comes time to swap batteries, I pull the charger one out of the dock & the depleted one out of the mouse. I put the charged one in the mouse & its working fine in windows, however, when I put the depleted one into the charging dock, my cursor locks up. I have to restart windows to get it to work again.

Have you tried changing the USB port that you connect the charging dock into?

Hazakins said:
Also I cant see anywhere that the rapid fire can be assigned to something. Not that I think I will even use it but it would be nice to know how to program it.

Rapid fire just refers to the fact that we've tuned the buttons so you can rapidly click them and get a perfect response every time.

Hi guys

Just got a Rat 9 yesterday, and noticed the same sorta tracking issues. I have a Razer Speed mat which is primarily black. The mouse seems to move fine up and down but jumps a bit when moving left and right (Mostly to the right.)

I haven't had the chance yet to try different surfaces, though I did try just on the dark brown wooden table and it seemed better.

I really like the mouse and would hate to RMA it for good, but do you think an RMA replacement would sort out the tracking issues? I notice the Razer Speed mat has horizontal black lines, I might try flip the mat 90 degrees to see if that's what's causing it. But it sucks being forced to use particular mouse pads for such an advanced mouse that any cheapie could handle easily.

Hi guys

Just got a Rat 9 yesterday, and noticed the same sorta tracking issues. I have a Razer Speed mat which is primarily black. The mouse seems to move fine up and down but jumps a bit when moving left and right (Mostly to the right.)

I haven't had the chance yet to try different surfaces, though I did try just on the dark brown wooden table and it seemed better.

I really like the mouse and would hate to RMA it for good, but do you think an RMA replacement would sort out the tracking issues? I notice the Razer Speed mat has horizontal black lines, I might try flip the mat 90 degrees to see if that's what's causing it. But it sucks being forced to use particular mouse pads for such an advanced mouse that any cheapie could handle easily.

Actually scratch that, after finding the time to reboot the next day the problems disappeared!

I was using a Razer Mamba beforehand so perhaps this was the issue?

I did notice one thing though, after running the configuration software the problem came back briefly, I then closed it in the task manager and it stayed away? Very strange, perhaps the software is giving the mouse a wobbly?

Tried that & it still does it.

Very odd. Rather than restarting your PC, does the R.A.T. come back if you unplug the dock and then reconnect it? Not saying this is your fix, but just want to know if that gets it working too.

Hey, I picked one of these up recently and just noticed the sensor area picks up dust and all that very quickly, especially on the black circle thing around the sensor. What is the best way to get the dust off and away from the sensor? air compressor?

Very odd. Rather than restarting your PC, does the R.A.T. come back if you unplug the dock and then reconnect it? Not saying this is your fix, but just want to know if that gets it working too.

Yes, that works but if I do that I lose my profile settings till I restart.

Anyone had a problem with the corded Rat not taking any moment after coming back from sleep? My computer goes to s1 sleep and I can click the buttons and get response but the tracking laser is not working until I reboot the machine. Any tips?

Also anyone have problems with low speed selecting? For example trying to highlight a sentence. It is very twitchy at low speeds. Any settings I can change to help with that? Im only running at 2000 dpi for desktop use.

Just purchased one of the R.A.T 9's, I hope it's as good as it looks. I'm worried about obtaining one of the R.A.T 9's with the older sensors though as I'm seeing/hearing they are updating the sensors up the line with improved lasers?

My computer store around here has a habit of actually stocking older gen./revisions of products....

I have the R.A.T.7 and I love it, just wish it was not so flat because I have large hands. My old Logitech G500 filled my hand a little better, but it felt cheap. The R.A.T. 7/9 has many customization options
and will have guests who see your rig saying "What the fuck is that thing?" followed by "Ohhh.... that's badass."

Cool, good to hear - is the laser/tracking issue widespread or confined to earlier units etc.? I'm seeing more and more reviews stating the mouse has failed and that the support is pretty bad -- considering some are saying it is 'inevitable' you'll need to return it under warranty at some point it's kind of concerning! Should be here tomorrow, hope it lasts for this kind of money for a mouse.

reading around it looked like the rat7 with the 5400 dpi twin laser had tracking problems. I got mine from amazon a few weeks ago and it had the upgraded 6000 dpi laser. So far I have been really happy with it. There are some things that are going to take getting use to.

Plus its always a good sign that a Madcats employee is stalking the forums. Show they care, at lease to me.

reading around it looked like the rat7 with the 5400 dpi twin laser had tracking problems. I got mine from amazon a few weeks ago and it had the upgraded 6000 dpi laser. So far I have been really happy with it. There are some things that are going to take getting use to.

Thats what I bought abit over a year ago and I'm having this issue since the day of purchase. It's not very annoying caue its rarely happening, but since its an expensive mouse its not acceptable.

Recently I also started having another weird problem. ANY of the mouse's clickable buttons register 2 clicks when I only tap 1 time, this makes windows files open while i only clicked 1 time and is very annoying in games. That's VERY annoying and happens dailys many times. I've even formatted my PC for other reasons a few days ago, the problem is the same. Also getting the problems on 2 different laptops, therefore its 100% the mouse issue.

Hmmm, thanks guys. So I've read a whole bunch of posts and reviews by actual users and there are a lot of complaints about the 5,600dpi laser crapping out eventually.

I went ahead and purchased the white R.A.T 7 Contagion with the 6,400dpi laser instead. Rather have had cordless, but at least now I don't have to worry about batteries or any potential wireless quirks (Logic by far in my experience has the most stable wireless mice you can find... so I was slightly iffy with the MadCatz wireless version anyhow) or laser issues - so I hope.

So far I really like this new mouse. Pretty sweet with the options to customize it with the extra pinky and palm rest -- I can't decide which I like best! haha but absolutely no tracking problems or lift problems etc. works great. Hope this laser has better longevity. I've not bothered to install the drivers yet either as I've got a feeling I won't care as the DPI toggle works, and the side buttons work in BF3 as well without drivers. Not sure if I'd ever really put the thumb wheel to use either but we'll see.

Hey guys just wanted to give you a tip. The plastic guard that it right next to the laser loves to collect little tiny hairs. They kind of wrap around it then start messing with the laser. I was freaking out thinking that my 3 week old mouse was failing. I wish that there was not that little gap there that likes to collect stuff.

I just got a R.A.T. 3. It's as nice as the 7 just lighter. It's sensor is lower, but I don't run the thing at 5700 anyway.

I just got a R.A.T. 3. It's as nice as the 7 just lighter. It's sensor is lower, but I don't run the thing at 5700 anyway.

Yeah Im only running around 2000dpi. I have read about some people getting the rat 3 or 5 then getting the accessories that they want from the Madcats web site like pinkey rests and things

Hey, I picked one of these up recently and just noticed the sensor area picks up dust and all that very quickly, especially on the black circle thing around the sensor. What is the best way to get the dust off and away from the sensor? air compressor?

And it's started. Cursor will only move vertically sometimes, it's this crap around the sensor.

Yeah it's kind of ridiculous to run the sensor up anywhere near max. Usually on setting 2 of 4 for me at most. The mouse is pretty accurate though, it's nice. (the 6,400dpi laser)

As an update: the more I use it, the more uncomfortable it is becoming compared to my 'old faithful' Logitech Performance MX mouse. Not nearly as ergonomic for long-term use. Great for gaming, and glides like a dream - but comfort levels... you have to hold your had really flat, and that puts extra strain on your forearm and wrist.

Last edited:
Back