Cyborg R.A.T. Mouse

Wow, what a werido mouse....might havta pick 1 up and give it a shot.

I hate to say it, but the thing does look pretty cool. Typically I find the "Cyborg" stuff to be fairly awkward to use and usually somewhat uncomfortable. I'd almost be willing to try this one out but the price is retarded.

Yeah. the price is high. It does look interesting though. But again, the more moving parts equals more chances of it breaking . Seems like it would be a gamble getting this right away without seeing it out on the market for a while. I have to admit though. I do like the looks

he mentions the mouse using a twin-eye laser which I am assuming the Phillips one that Razer and some other companies use.

There has been issues with z-axis tracking with this laser (you can youtube it for examples)

I haven't been following this closely ,All I have seen is expected to begin shipping in Spring 2010. I think march. I don't think a date has been set yet. but like i said I haven't been following it.

Maybe someone else can chime in with some info

The video said the rat7 would ship in March, the rat 9 in April and the rest shortly after that.

It looks like a pile of junk, really it does. Like someone took a bunch of parts and just tossed them in a pile. It does not look like it would be comphy for long game sessions. I could be wrong, what will they come up with next and chunk of wood with sheetrock screws sticking out of it?

Looks like they're gearing up for release, although supposedly they won't be available until May.

http://cyborggaming.com/prod/rat9.htm

R.A.T. 7
Featuring a new generation “twin eye” 5600DPI gaming grade laser sensor that reads each axis separately for pinpoint accuracy, the Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Gaming Mouse tracks up to 6 meters per second ensuring that competitive gamers who favor low sensitivity or high movement speed preferences will always experience correct tracking and precision. The R.A.T. 7 Gaming Mouse is highly ergonomic and adjustable. Built on a metal chassis and designed to be comfortable over sustained gaming sessions, it features interchangeable palm rest, adjustable pinkie grips, adjustable length, width and height settings and removable 30g weights.

Gamers can program four DPI settings which can be instantly recalled via an integrated toggle switch, allowing gamers to strategically switch DPI settings mid game, programmable all the way up to 5600DPI. Precision Aim mode allows gamers to hold down a button and temporarily slow down cursor movement (reduces sensitivity on the fly), steadying your aim during heated battle. 5 programmable buttons combined with a 3 position mode switch allows for a total of up to 15 user definable commands to be available to the gamer at any one time. Cyborg ST Software included in pack allows gamers to remap programmable buttons and create custom macros. The R.A.T. 7 is compatible with Windows 7, Vista and XP.

R.A.T.9
The Cyborg R.A.T. 9 Gaming Mouse builds on the Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Gaming Mouse’s features with a next generation, ‘latency-free’ 2.4GHz wireless technology freeing the gamer from tethered operation with zero lag or dropout. Operating via a custom rechargeable battery pack, the R.A.T. 9 comes complete with desktop charging system and additional battery pack to ensure that gaming sessions can run for as long as the gamer.

The R.A.T. 9 Gaming Mouse has been designed with comfort in mind and features the same interchangeable palm rest, adjustable pinkie grips, adjustable length, width and height settings as featured on the R.A.T. 7 Gaming Mouse, while a full 45g of removable weights allows for an even greater level of weight customization.

Similar to the R.A.T. 7 Gaming Mouse, gamers can individually set the x and y-axis DPI of the power ‘twin eye’ 5600DPI gaming grade laser sensor and store 4 individual DPI settings which can be instantly recalled via an integrated toggle switch. Precision Aim mode allows gamers to hold down a button and temporarily slow down cursor movement, steadying your aim during heated battle and 5 programmable buttons combined with a 3 position mode switch allows for a total of up to 15 user definable commands to be available to the gamer at any one time. Cyborg ST Software included in pack allows gamers to remap programmable buttons and create custom macros. The R.A.T. 9 is compatible with Windows 7, Vista and XP.

If I do try it out, I most likely will get the rat 5 . If you notice the rat 9 has that knob sticking out where the wrist would be. Seems to be protruding out quite a bit . the knob on the rat 5 doesn't look as big. and also I'm kind of partial to wired mouses. less signal issues. but then the specs for the 7 are better then the 5, wish I could try it out first.

Last edited:
If I do try it out, I most likely will get the rat 5 . If you notice the rat 9 has that knob sticking out where the wrist would be. Seems to be protruding out quite a bit . the knob on the rat 5 doesn't look as big. and also I'm kind of partial to wired mouses. less signal issues. but then the specs for the 7 are better then the 5, wish I could try it out first.

The RAT 9's knob thing on the end is removable. According to the images it is part of the weight system.

really interested in this mouse, been a razer guy for 7ish years, (cooper,boom,death addler) was looking to add the naga when they gave programmability to the keys outside of mmo (i have since given up mmo's 2 years ago) but now that I see this highly customizable mouse in a physical sense, well i think i'll have to get this. Updates on availablity would be cool, I'm constantly checking amazon for it (looking for rat 7, i hate wireless).

It's a shame they went with the Philips Trash-Eye, going to make this mouse an automatic non-purchase for serious gamers unless there is some sort of major firmware fixes to the sensor between now and whenever it gets released. Same sensor as the Razer Imperator.

Without me searching. can you give a brief description of the problems with the Philips sensor??

z-axis tracking... from the videos normally when you pick up your mouse and drop it back down the cursor should not move a whole lot. With the Phillips Twin-eye (on the razer imperator at least) when you put down the mouse the cursor moves diagonally down and to the right. So what ends up happening is it throws off your aim.

If you NEVER pick up your mouse then you have no issues, but if you pick up your mouse while turning or to recenter the cursor you will run into problems.

There is another issue (at least with the razer imperator) that when you click on the mouse buttons while not moving the mouse the cursor jitter

From my understanding no manufacturer that uses this sesnor in their mice has fixed these issues

Last edited:
Neat looking device, not so neat looking mouse. As far as a mouse goes, it's not too appealing to me, would be cool to have sitting on your desk though.

Got the RAT 7 preordered from Amazon.

thanks for the heads up........ going to the amazon now.

I figure if I don't like it I could sell it pretty easily. With minimal loss.

Last edited:
I reallllllllly need a new mouse, been using the same one since 6th grade.(7 years) but I think I'm going to wait for the price of the RAT 9 to come down to $100 first.

I reallllllllly need a new mouse, been using the same one since 6th grade.(7 years) but I think I'm going to wait for the price of the RAT 9 to come down to $100 first.

There was a time when all I ever got was wireless. and almost every time I ran into some kind of issues with signal interference or just general connectivity problems. Sometimes not. but I just avoid all that now by only getting wired mouses. no fuss..... no muss.

There was a time when all I ever got was wireless. and almost every time I ran into some kind of issues with signal interference or just general connectivity problems. Sometimes not. but I just avoid all that now by only getting wired mouses. no fuss..... no muss.

never had any issues with quality wireless mice. imo the ms versions just suck ass. logitech makes good ones though, but even then you have to buy the good ones...mx revolution, performance mx, mx1000) ive used both the mx1000 and the mx revolution and i would hate the day id ever have to go back to a wired mouse.

To be fair. most of the wireless mice I had the majority of problems with were of the Microsoft variety . and a couple of the logitech's. One was the LX8 "very cheap I might add" and the other was of the MX brand , although I think that had to do with the Microsoft wireless mouse I had on another computer in close proximity that caused that issue. but at any rate I just got tired of dealing with issues and really dont mind wired now that I have grown accustomed to them again

I noticed that Amazon now has of images of all the R.A.T. mice. Hopefully means it's coming out soon.

z-axis tracking... from the videos normally when you pick up your mouse and drop it back down the cursor should not move a whole lot. With the Phillips Twin-eye (on the razer imperator at least) when you put down the mouse the cursor moves diagonally down and to the right. So what ends up happening is it throws off your aim.

If you NEVER pick up your mouse then you have no issues, but if you pick up your mouse while turning or to recenter the cursor you will run into problems.

There is another issue (at least with the razer imperator) that when you click on the mouse buttons while not moving the mouse the cursor jitter

From my understanding no manufacturer that uses this sesnor in their mice has fixed these issues

The RAT7 looks fantastic. Except that deal breaker right there. They should've used the avago9500 if they wanted to go laser. That way they can advertise ridiculously useless DPI numbers for the ignorant... or do us all a favor and put a decent optical out.

WHYYYYYYYY why would they put such a shit sensor in after so many complaints about that laser on every mouse its in. What the fuck... i'm a volcano of anger right now.

Last edited:
:( im afraid it might eat my finger.. or get caught in a gear...

very scary!

The RAT7 looks fantastic. Except that deal breaker right there. They should've used the avago9500 if they wanted to go laser. That way they can advertise ridiculously useless DPI numbers for the ignorant... or do us all a favor and put a decent optical out.

WHYYYYYYYY why would they put such a shit sensor in after so many complaints about that laser on every mouse its in. What the fuck... i'm a volcano of anger right now.

Well the Avago sensor is not perfect as well. Avago 9500 has positive acceleration while the Phillips twin eye has no acceleration (according to reports). So there is a trade off no matter what sensor you use.

There was a thread about a user who contacted Avago about the positive acceleration issues and they replied back asking him for data so that they could possibly fix the issue. As far as I know Phillips has not even attempted to fix their sensor. The manufacturers of the sensors should have to fix their products not the makers of the mice that use their sensors.

It looks like it'll transform and kill you when you're not looking.

Well the Avago sensor is not perfect as well. Avago 9500 has positive acceleration while the Phillips twin eye has no acceleration (according to reports). So there is a trade off no matter what sensor you use.

There was a thread about a user who contacted Avago about the positive acceleration issues and they replied back asking him for data so that they could possibly fix the issue. As far as I know Phillips has not even attempted to fix their sensor. The manufacturers of the sensors should have to fix their products not the makers of the mice that use their sensors.

The positive acceleration is extremely minor though, like a max speed 12 inch swipe only is only off by about 5 degrees in an FPS compared to the same distance at a low speed.

When I had the CM Sentinel (Twineye), not only did it drift downwards after a pick up and set down, but it often didn't track at all for a sizeable fraction of a second after picking it up and setting it down. It was so bad that I returned the mouse the same day I received it. The SS Xai (which has the Avago) which I got instead replaced my G9.

Per email from MadCatz, RAT 9 will ship in early June.

Once you get over the initial visual shock, it looks promising. My fear is that with all the adjustable pieces it will feel loose and rickety, or maybe become that way over time.

Still, even for non-gaming, the "sniper" button could be useful for precision activities like Photoshopping. Hopefully ALL the buttons are fully configurable.

Anyone get their hands on one of the demo versions of the RAT 9 or RAT 7? Did it feel solid?

Any word on the 7 version as far as release date? It'd be NICE Mad Catz to let the consumer know when your mice might be available. It was April now I don't know when. I guess it comes out when it comes out, right?:confused:

i did that form a month ago, still nothing. only want the rat7, don't care for wireless.

I sent a message last night and this was the reply

"Hi,
Thanks for your interest in the R.A.T. series of mice. We expect to
have the R.A.T.7 available during June"

Jezzz. a 3 month pre order. Holy crap !!!!!!!!!!

Back