Cyborg R.A.T. Mouse

Phyltre

Limp Gawd
Another crazy product from CES, this time the Cyborg R.A.T. mouse line.

I expect this design to be panned for sheer ridiculosity. ...However, I still want one. I will not only order one, I will pre-order one once I know if the different models will look different.

http://gizmodo.com/5441659/the-mad-catz-cyborg-rat-mouse-is-jonathan-ives-antichrist

67p7pf.jpg

Impressions? My inner ten year old is jumping up and down and climbing the curtains right now...hello early birthday!

And new for 2014...the Tournament Edition!

VnYSERi.jpg

Looks a bit torn down though, I notice several adjustment points look absent. Hopefully they do a full refresh of the MMO version.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Now that's different! Hopefully it's well built, as many people think the console peripherals MadCatz makes are junk.

That is fekkin hot! Lets wait and see how the actual reviews turn out.

that thing looks insane
with all those buttons and knobs, that thing better make coffee

This thing looks badass. I got my eyes dead set on the RAT 7, the RAT 9 sounds like it's exactly like the 7 except wireless.

WTF are those exhaust things at the lower left? This mouse runs on an engine with turbo.

I just took noticed that they're being produced by Mad Catz. Proceed with caution, no matter what.

Last edited:
It is just a fully adjustable mouse, like those joysticks that let you adjust the positions of the buttons and levers:

For the first time ever on a mouse, the key points of contact between the gamer's hand and the mouse are fully adjustable allowing it to be customized for any grip preference

It is a good idea. I can't count the number of times I have read reviews of mice on [H] where someone has said they liked a mouse but its size was too small, or too large. Now you can buy a mouse based on its features and know that you can adjust it's size to fit your hand.

Found a larger picture than most of the smallish ones floating around, this one doesn't look like a render (if it's a render they went to some trouble to include dust on the metal bits...)

2wex3xz.png

Also found a small image of the bottom of the mouse, for anyone interested.

2iqb8nl.jpg

Last edited:
It's like what if the razer mamba, and the g9 mated to have this abomination.

i kinda want in a strange way; like the inner child gamer who gets locked in a gamestop over night and just plays games all night.

from the bottom side image it looks like the knob on the back is for the adjustable weights system - but what's the one near the thumb for? some sort of abominable spawn of a sidescroll wheel?

And we have a hands-on! Also confirmation that the top two models will be the same except for the wired/wireless difference.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/105/1059356p1.html

I must say, this initial once-over is pretty promising. Of course we're at least three steps away from a real review, performed with final-iteration mass-produced hardware and with an actual software package along with an idea of reliability. But color me anxious and impatient, that's for certain.

I command this mouse to appear on my mousepad!

I'm a bit more interested in the mouse now. Decent idea to have a button that lowers DPI as you hold it. And I guess one of the exhaust looking things is the allen wrench used to adjust the parts.

A second hands-on from Engadget has emerged, with a fairly extensive photo gallery. I must say it still looks impressive in these photos. I especially like how wide the ranges of customization appear to be. If you look at picture 4, it would appear that the first step after unboxing the mouse is building it!

http://www.engadget.com/photos/mad-catz-cyborg-rat-hands-on-3/

The way it's modular makes me wonder if they might offer aftermarket parts for extra customization--for instance, maybe a heavy metal backend for added weight or a rubberized one for better grip, given that they are detachable.

and I was just thinking about swapping my Microsoft Sidewinder (love it) for the Logitech G9 (which I was unsure of). This may have answered the question for me.

Honestly I think it looks ugly as heck, but it is pretty cool. The Cyborg products are always pretty interesting.

Haha it looks like exhaust pipes coming out the back end.

It looks like those killer bikes from Terminator:Salvation that came off the giant mech's legs. Or something.

There's what looks to be a placeholder site out there for the new cyborg line (I'm guessing this is some kind of refresh?) and you can sign up for a newsletter.

http://cyborggaming.com/

I wasn't going to mention this but then I saw the image on the front page with the scrolling text--apparently an explanation of what R.A.T. stands for. They appear to have entered the letters into some kind of acronym creation engine.

Roquefort Asiago Toscanello, (cheeses!)
Ramble Among Traps,
Rouse Agitate Thrill,
Rapid Assent Traverse,
Radius Ambit Terminus,
Restart At Trigger,
Remove Applicable Trickery,
Right Arm Tempest,
Robotic Adaptive Transformation,
Reflexive Aggressive Tactile,
Redefined Alien Technology,
Revealed Amorphous Tentacles,
Reverse Aging Therapy,

and so on and so on for a apparently a fairly long time as I'm not seeing any repeats in the visible area. I guess marketing has a sense of humor--why use the name to come up with an acronym when you can use the acronym to generate vast quantities of names? Does anyone really think the the name comes first anymore?

That button you hold to lower the DPI is so ingenious... I'm ashamed I hadn't thought of it. My Logitech G9 has two buttons to raise/lower sensitivity located just below the left mouse button, but it's awkward and uncomfortable to switch so I don't even bother. I really like how the button is located where the thumb is so you can keep your trigger finger on your shooting button.

I'm warming up to this mouse real quick, if the reviews shape this up to be a great mouse I may ditch my G9. DPI button, looks comfortable for claw grippers, customizable as heck, and I think it looks cool (I'm a sucker for a futuristic robotic gadgets).

I like. If the wireless sports the speed and tracking technology of the Microsoft x8/Raxer Mamba/Logitech G9x or better (5000+dpi, 5.8GHz, dual laser, blue laser, etc), I would consider wireless as well. It must have at least 3 if not 5 levels of sensitivity adjustment (with buttons in a good place) as well as programmable button profiles like the G9x for me to give that one up. The adjustable grip and weight thing is pretty cool too. I would prefer a mouse to have more buttons in some places though. I could use 4 thumb buttons (two on top, two on bottom), or even another scroll wheel there... this comes close it seems. I would also go for a 3rd button between the L and R main mouse buttons in front of the scroll wheel (at the front edge of the mouse). Ill be watching this one...

There's goes some of the tax refund ... Must have the sniper button !

Oh man. I have to have this! I've been looking for an upgrade, but everything is too big or too small. Finally, somebody has something adjustable! Now if only they made keyboards like this....

Wow that looks uncomfortable, but for some reason I still want it...

I would think with all of the adjustments, it would be pretty comfortable. I kinda want it just because it's totally different. Not sure if I would like it over my G9, but you never know.

I do hope i get to try this thing when it launches, i have very high hopes and am thinking it will be very comfy but without trying, i do not think i could spend that much money on it.

Lifting problem?

When you lift the mouse your cursor will go down and right 150 pixels every time. Not a problem if you don't lift the mouse in gaming, it is if you do. The razer mice that use it (imperator, lach, etc) have the same issue.

When you lift the mouse your cursor will go down and right 150 pixels every time. Not a problem if you don't lift the mouse in gaming, it is if you do. The razer mice that use it (imperator, lach, etc) have the same issue.

That's not very practical, especially with low sensitivities.

This looks like a very fun mouse to have. I just might have to pick this up.

Back