Cyberpunk 2077: Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was a little more than that, a number of big "gaming websites" ran some nonsensical hit pieces against CD Projekt. An example is Rock Paper Shotgun, which have outed themselves as a political commentary site some time back. Some of the other posts from various forums (and I think reddit) was trying to tell Mike Pondsmith how to think until he started directly replying.

I stopped clicking the various RPS/Kotaku-type links that kept popping up in my feed after I realized the articles had little to no info about the games and were mostly just trying to sell outrage. Like, sure, I played some Overwatch so google recommended this article on the latest OW patch...and now I'm reading about how offensive the latest skin is to X group of people, and the author is never part of X group or speaking from any sort of experience let alone worldly experience.

Personally I don't know a single person who would read that RPS article and suddenly not want to play this game as-is. They threw the "weak gunplay" comment into the headline so that it would seem like some sort of legit game review, when all they really wanted to peddle was the outrage they cooked up. If this were a supermarket these articles would be on the shelf alongside National Inquirer, et al.; responding to completely fabricated nonsense is just a waste of time. Clearly Mike's said his piece in response, but if I saw anything else from these Anita Sarkeesian types I'd simply reply with "sorry you feel that way but we don't agree with your assessment of our game." Trying to win a debate with someone whose livelihood depends on keeping the debate going is not going to help you.

I got it from Best Buy. Tried again after 2 minutes. Might be sold out already.

EDIT: Nope, still can preorder as of 16:44 EDT.

upload_2019-6-20_16-43-34.png

RPS used to be useful...

But I'll admit to not keeping up with 'game publications' over the years. That's what forums are for.

Looks like IdiotInCharge and I are in the same boat.. we'll just have to order the game twice. Sure glad I picked up the Xbox version when I did...

I'll find someone with an Xbox that has never played a game like this to do my part in expanding the CDProjekt Red Discipleship. It's not like CDPR hasn't earned a little faith!

I stopped clicking the various RPS/Kotaku-type links that kept popping up in my feed after I realized the articles had little to no info about the games and were mostly just trying to sell outrage. Like, sure, I played some Overwatch so google recommended this article on the latest OW patch...and now I'm reading about how offensive the latest skin is to X group of people, and the author is never part of X group or speaking from any sort of experience let alone worldly experience.

Personally I don't know a single person who would read that RPS article and suddenly not want to play this game as-is. They threw the "weak gunplay" comment into the headline so that it would seem like some sort of legit game review, when all they really wanted to peddle was the outrage they cooked up. If this were a supermarket these articles would be on the shelf alongside National Inquirer, et al.; responding to completely fabricated nonsense is just a waste of time. Clearly Mike's said his piece in response, but if I saw anything else from these Anita Sarkeesian types I'd simply reply with "sorry you feel that way but we don't agree with your assessment of our game." Trying to win a debate with someone whose livelihood depends on keeping the debate going is not going to help you.

Funny thing about the weak gunplay bit: No one has had a chance to play the game. The behind doors demonstration was all played by CDPR reps.

Who buys anything anymore? All that packaging & product. Don't you care about the environment?

Well, sarcasm aside...I actually did reduce the amount I physically purchased. You're actually contributing whether you know it or not. It's kinda nice. Once you get over the idea that one needs clutter to enjoy media.

Am I the only one that thinks 249 for a collectors edition is nuts? I over paid for my Starwars MMM Collectors editions when those came out and they were 129.99 each. While I enjoy a good collectors edition package I'm not willing to sign the dotted line for 250. I know they will sell out but COME ON. I'll just pre order from GOG and be done with it.

Am I the only one that thinks 249 for a collectors edition is nuts?

In general, I agree. However, the statues that CDPR has made have been pretty nice if you're into that sort of thing. And if you look on hobby sites with official licenses for something similar... you'll find that US$249 is relatively cheap.

Am I the only one that thinks 249 for a collectors edition is nuts? I over paid for my Starwars MMM Collectors editions when those came out and they were 129.99 each. While I enjoy a good collectors edition package I'm not willing to sign the dotted line for 250. I know they will sell out but COME ON. I'll just pre order from GOG and be done with it.

Its dumb to buy anything labeled "Collectors Edition" unless you never open it. Then maybe in 10-20 years it'll be worth more than what you paid for it, but by then inflation will have taken all your expected profits.

Its dumb to buy anything labeled "Collectors Edition" unless you never open it. Then maybe in 10-20 years it'll be worth more than what you paid for it, but by then inflation will have taken all your expected profits.

It's going to sit on a shelf. I'm going to look at it. Really.

I don't 'collect' things ;)

It's all relative. Gaming is a hobby for me and I've spent $250 on different CE's in the past. Some were worth it... others... not so much. But that's ok because I don't mind supporting devs that create games I want to play. Also... compared to my other hobby, $250 is a drop in a bucket.

Personally I don't know a single person who would read that RPS article and suddenly not want to play this game as-is. They threw the "weak gunplay" comment into the headline so that it would seem like some sort of legit game review, when all they really wanted to peddle was the outrage they cooked up.

Gunplay is very important in a shooter to me which is why I despise 3rd person shooters that aren't story based or half RPGs like Mass Effect. What little we saw of Cyberpunk looked okay. Animations and weapons seemed to have some weight and feel to them. This puts them well ahead of many other games simply because so many do such a poor job of it. To specifically mention "poor gunplay" is just utter nonsense as you mentioned. It was only there in a last second, thoughtless attempt to mask their agenda that no one cares about. RPS is a political opinion commentary site run by people who happen to play video games.

Why do you assume people are buying them with the intent to resell them? People buy these things because they like what is included and want the items. Who cares about future value?

Why do you assume people are buying them with the intent to resell them? People buy these things because they like what is included and want the items. Who cares about future value?
Ja, I don't buy these things to put in storage and never take out of the box.

It's all relative. Gaming is a hobby for me and I've spent $250 on different CE's in the past. Some were worth it... others... not so much. But that's ok because I don't mind supporting devs that create games I want to play. Also... compared to my other hobby, $250 is a drop in a bucket.

I might buy it for that price if I could still buy it on release, not 10 months in advance.

Maybe if I play the game for 10 years like wow I will get a free statue:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I bet they will be worth some cash later on, like if you had first sculpture of the augmented girl that is probably worth a lot

I might buy it for that price if I could still buy it on release, not 10 months in advance.

Well, there was at most a 10-minute window to buy it for PC. Mine is for the Xbox, the game will be going to a friend if it actually gets delivered.

That means that I'm not just paying US$250, or US$270 with tax, but probably closer to US$350 for the game, and that's before at least a GPU upgrade.

Also... compared to my other hobby, $250 is a drop in a bucket.

Pro lens at US$1,000? That's when the refurbished versions go on sale! Let's not talk about strobes, studio rentals, model fees... :D

Am I the only one that thinks 249 for a collectors edition is nuts?

Collector's edition for games went out of style last decade. They don't go up in value and just collect dust or end up going into the trash, learned that lesson after buying the collector's editions for Warcraft 3 and ROBOTECH: Battlecry.

Well, there was at most a 10-minute window to buy it for PC. Mine is for the Xbox, the game will be going to a friend if it actually gets delivered.

That means that I'm not just paying US$250, or US$270 with tax, but probably closer to US$350 for the game, and that's before at least a GPU upgrade.

Pro lens at US$1,000? That's when the refurbished versions go on sale! Let's not talk about strobes, studio rentals, model fees... :D

You need to put "model" in quotes. I have a friend who does "model" photography. He "invests" heavily in his photography equipment and always has tattoo laden "models" at his house. More power to him but it's clearly a 10 year long mid life crisis. ;)

And video card purchase and computer hardware are just the tax of working in IT in my opinion. At least that's what I tell. My wife.

I’ve got a couple of THOSE hobbies. ;)

One is designing analog modular synthesizers.

And... I just picked up a ‘99 Carrera today...

Maybe we should just....Not give them attention. They're only doing this for the attention/clicks. If people would just ignore this shit it would go away. The solution to all internet drama bullshit is to ignore it.
It's fine, like letting a toddler just cry itself out in a soundproof room. The trans nontroversy will end up a net positive for the game in the long run. Cyberpunk is slowly transcending videogame status to cultural phenomenon, the more this bullshit goes on and every attention starved blogger and YouTuber flaps their yaps about something-something-Cyberpunk-please-click.

Last edited:

I wouldn’t personally buy it, and yes it is pretty expensive, but then I’m more of a digital archiver than physical collector. With some of the prices of vintage games, a collector’s edition for $250 doesn’t seem THAT crazy. Still not my thing though.

Maybe we should just....Not give them attention. They're only doing this for the attention/clicks. If people would just ignore this shit it would go away. The solution to all internet drama bullshit is to ignore it.

I don't click links to the Muppets (infact I just added RPS to my hosts file to make 100% sure that I don't)...but I do click on every single link countering the Muppets...I love that they somehow "forgot" that Mike P is black and now don't know what to do since he flipped them off...CDPR, Mike P and CP2017 will win here...and I love it! :D

I think people have ignored many of them long enough, the well has started to dry up.

Good riddance to the Gamergate SJW vampire known as Anita Sarkeesian.

Exactly. The female artist of that poster explained herself pretty well from what I glanced.

There will (hopefully) be many more nontroversies like this on the road to release date. We'll see more gameplay at Gamescom, and maybe more people get offended because all it does is builds more hype - not that the game needs it since people are already expecting God's Gift To Gaming out of this thing.

If it's not offending, it's not art. And if it's not art, it ain't shit.

The SJW bullshit was strong on this one. It is funny, because if they actually knew anything about Cyberpunk, they would realize this paints the danger of corporate exploitation of "special groups". And some of the things they were particularly pointing out as "offensive", they weren't even getting right. Then many of them doubled down after being caught in their bullshit. It is just dumb.

As for people expecting it to be God's Gift To Gaming, I am not really sure that is what the hype is really about. I think a lot of the hype is specifically for a Cyberpunk themed game finally after all these years. Also many people are excited because they believe it will carry on some of the favorable features found in The Witcher. The combination of the two builds the excitement to fanboy levels.

I broke my rule and pre ordered it on Gog for myself,and one copy for my Wife on STEAM,her platform of preference. I will build a entirely new Ryzen 3k highend system for it,late Fall for this,minus Video card,that will be whatever runs 2077 best come a few days after 4.16.2020 for 1,000$~,according to my fellow [H]'ers here. Dying to immerse myself in CDPR's latest masterpiece!

I am alose considering a whole new build for this. Probably moving to an AMD CPU and the new Nvidia Titan card. Not sure exactly what the configuration will be, I'll wait to see what's out at the time.

Time for a new rating system. Needs something like "Not for the easily offended" so they just pass on the game. One of my favorite things about the GTA games is how they make fun of everyone no matter who you are.

In the current climate you will need like 99 different ratings making sure to warn all the particular special groups that might be offended by the game.

This is why she wanted the consulting gig, so she can fund her shenanigans.....she wasn't really in it for the good of the game....

Well I mean she was never in it for the good of the game. She was never actually a gamer. She basically lied about a bunch of stuff to create a platform and try to profit off of it. I mean the hypocrisy was deep with her. She got famous for apparently being "hunted" and "harassed" and "death threats". But once she got her platform, she consistently harassed and bullied other people and companies.

Well I mean she was never in it for the good of the game. She was never actually a gamer. She basically lied about a bunch of stuff to create a platform and try to profit off of it. I mean the hypocrisy was deep with her. She got famous for apparently being "hunted" and "harassed" and "death threats". But once she got her platform, she consistently harassed and bullied other people and companies.

The sad thing is I thought some of her early, pre-crowdfunding, stuff had some interesting things to say. It was all pretty shallow but it was presented well and could have been turned into something good to watch if she had actually invested the time and money into it, instead of making “outrage” her entire platform and money making scheme.

eh, you may not agree with Sarkeesian but she did make game companies reevaluate they way they produce games. women are game consumers also and it became important to portray women as actual people vs just being skins or eye candy or damsels in distress and in general useless.
a lot of attacks against Sarkeesian are just invalid, based on attacking her personally vs attacking her arguments. Oh, you are not a real gamer. Like what the hell does that mean? How many 1000s of hours does it take for someone to become "qualified" to make youtube videos?
anyway all the people complaining about her are the ones promoting her. If nobody was whining then I would never have known or cared that she had anything to say about the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back