Cyberpunk 2077: Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a pretty fine line between dated graphics and forcing people to buy a pricey rig. They key is providing settings that are flexible. I love love love resolution scaling for games that want tons of horsepower. Rather than tweaking 50 settings, I can just focus on one.
It doesn't sound like much, but sometimes the naming conventions for your settings matter. Instead of low/medium/high, toss in "ultra," "extra," "very," etc. instead. PC gamers with good rigs often feel insulted having to use medium. Yet going from ultra to "high" isn't so bad even if it's the same thing on the back end.

There's a pretty fine line between dated graphics and forcing people to buy a pricey rig. They key is providing settings that are flexible. I love love love resolution scaling for games that want tons of horsepower. Rather than tweaking 50 settings, I can just focus on one.
It doesn't sound like much, but sometimes the naming conventions for your settings matter. Instead of low/medium/high, toss in "ultra," "extra," "very," etc. instead. PC gamers with good rigs often feel insulted having to use medium. Yet going from ultra to "high" isn't so bad even if it's the same thing on the back end.
Crytek tried that already with Minimum, Mainstream, Gamer and Enthusiast. It didn't work out too well. People just need to get over themselves, frankly.

Crytek tried that already with Minimum, Mainstream, Gamer and Enthusiast. It didn't work out too well. People just need to get over themselves, frankly.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. However, Domingo does make one good point. Resolution scaling as an option to enable all the eye candy and still make the game run on lesser hardware is really something all modern games should do. Let the user decide how best to configure the game. Its easy to say that a game developer should be able to scale various settings to work on different hardware, but that's easier said than done. I agree it should be done, but for some games it can yield less than desirable results. For example: In Arkham Knight, the difference between even medium and ultra or whatever was extreme. Essentially running it in low or medium was potato mode. It's like you were running the game on a potato and everything in the game looked like potatoes splattered around like a Rorschach of some kind. It wasn't pretty on anything but the highest of settings. This is precisely the kind of thing you want to avoid doing.

Part of the problem with most PC gaming detail settings is that they're too arbitrary. It's difficult to tell what many settings actually mean, how different they look, and what kind of performance hit they cause. Especially in combination with one another.
Telling someone with a $4,000 gaming PC that they need to either run the game on "medium" or wait for hardware that doesn't yet exist is eyeroll-worthy. Developers that think their game is going to look amazing 2-3 hardware generations later are wrong 99% of the time. Optimize for current top of the line hardware when your game is actually going to sell the most copies.
I'd say Assassin's Creed Odyssey might be the best example of how to handle detail settings. They had in-game screenshots that showed the various setting effects along with some performance guidelines. In addition to that, they also had very good pre-set settings and a ton of additional settings to tweak things further, like resolution scaling. They basically took one of those detailed Nvidia settings guides and put it inside the game.

The thing is, if you've been gaming long enough you can probably discern what settings you can turn off with a minimal impact. Lots of shadow settings for example impact performance greatly, but aren't really noticeable in game. If I max out a game's settings and it runs like ass, shadows and anti-aliasing settings are the first things I look at.

I don't care about physical collector's editions. I haven't bought a physical game in years that wasn't for a console. I only buy digital deluxe type editions so I can get the in-game goods. I couldn't care less about the physical crap in most cases.

Developers that think their game is going to look amazing 2-3 hardware generations later are wrong 99% of the time. Optimize for current top of the line hardware when your game is actually going to sell the most copies.

And that is Crysis in a nut shell. Still looked good years later, but by 2010 it was certainly starting to show its age. Still good looking but not top of the line, with spotty performance on hardware faster than what was available in 2007.

If you buy any games on GOG now, you can export them to Steam. 100% of Cyberpunk profits will go to CDPR if the game is purchased on GOG, which is owned by them.

I broke my rule and pre ordered it on Gog for myself,and one copy for my Wife on STEAM,her platform of preference. I will build a entirely new Ryzen 3k highend system for it,late Fall for this,minus Video card,that will be whatever runs 2077 best come a few days after 4.16.2020 for 1,000$~,according to my fellow [H]'ers here. Dying to immerse myself in CDPR's latest masterpiece!

And that is Crysis in a nut shell. Still looked good years later, but by 2010 it was certainly starting to show its age. Still good looking but not top of the line, with spotty performance on hardware faster than what was available in 2007.

what game looked better than crysis in 2010? im not contesting you, i love taking a look back a few generations and of course anything crysis meme is great fun. Metro 2033 redux was out then, though i still think crysis has a slight edge.

So true ^

"This game engine/graphics are so dated and look like shit!" ... "OMG this new engine/graphics are too demanding !! Who can afford to play this?! PC gaming is too expensive--etc etc.."

It's a double edged sword on the high end and the low ends of the hardware spectrum. Of course it isn't about the hardware but rather the people that own it. On one hand, you have the high end hardware owners and enthusiasts wanting excuses to upgrade or to at least push what they have to the limits. When they don't get a game that pushes any visual boundaries they bitch about lazy developers, console ports, and people that are too poor to buy ultra high end hardware forcing developers to cater to lower end machines. On the low end side, you have enthusiasts who either can't afford higher end hardware or people who are too cheap to buy it complain when a modern AAA title won't run at max settings on their I3 2100 and GeForce GTX 550 Ti. Those are the people that scream "the game is poorly optimized" even though their 8 year old, bargain bin hardware wasn't capable of running the games of their era anywhere near maximum settings either.

I'm sure they say other things too but I quit listening whenever I hear those people whine about optimization because they have to run everything in potato mode. It's obvious which side of the fence I'm on in this debate. :) However, I do think that developers should do a better job leveraging new technologies and ensuring that the games can scale various settings in a way that allows people to enjoy the game on a wide variety of hardware configurations and still have a decent experience. Of course this is easier said than done.

I think all of us here at [H] generally want the boundaries of graphic capabilities pushed, the difference in recent years as all of us know, is that the entry fee of a top tier GPU is now $1200+. Most of us remember when that was what, ~$350?

This game for me too however will be plenty reason to splurge on the latest and greatest.

I think all of us here at [H] generally want the boundaries of graphic capabilities pushed, the difference in recent years as all of us know, is that the entry fee of a top tier GPU is now $1200+. Most of us remember when that was what, ~$350?

This game for me too however will be plenty reason to splurge on the latest and greatest.

I even like my 2D indie game boundaries pushed. More scrolling. More frames. Bigger "sprites" etc. The boundaries should always be pushed at least to some degree. Not everything has to be a huge leap, but some forward movement is appreciated. As Domingo said though, push things hard on the current top end or at least close to top end, but give viable, meaningful options to drop back a bit for mid and lower tier hardware.

I don't think EVERYTHING has to push ALL boundaries, ALL the time. A good game is still a good game. It's nice to see some real effort sometimes though. When that effort is exceptional, I will jump up and buy what I need to enjoy it. It's been so long since any huge upgrades were actually necessary though, that it's about time something pushed things a bit.

Sounds like consoles are more you thing...if you dislike settings...

This is one of my most anticipated titles and one of the few that I'm willing to go ahead and spend full price on. I'll do whatever I need to hardware wise to make it run as smooth as possible at the time.

That's what I've been doing since W2. Their games drive me to new builds but added payoff is that in doing so I'm able to enjoy so many other similarly demanding games when they come out for years later.

Time for a new rating system. Needs something like "Not for the easily offended" so they just pass on the game. One of my favorite things about the GTA games is how they make fun of everyone no matter who you are.

what game looked better than crysis in 2010? im not contesting you, i love taking a look back a few generations and of course anything crysis meme is great fun. Metro 2033 redux was out then, though i still think crysis has a slight edge.

Depends on what setting you were able to run Crysis with in 2010. That answer could range from "not much" to "half my library" depending on what your 2010 rig was.
It's still pretty challenging to run Crysis at 4K with all the details up even today. At least while maintaining 60fps. It checked a lot of graphical boxes that don't really matter all that much, but caused it to have beastly system requirements.

Physical editions of the standard and CE may be going up for preorder today. Comes with a GOG code just like The Witcher 3 CE.

Why do people need to buy a box that's empty with a printed steam code on it? Isn't that what almost all physical boxes have today?

Why do people need to buy a box that's empty with a printed steam code on it? Isn't that what almost all physical boxes have today?

I agree with you. However, in the rare case that something so big and anticipated is coming, I can see some people (especially collector types) wanting something a little more substantial. If I was someone who had a physical collection, (even a small one) this would be one of the few games I'd want an empty box and toy, cloth map, etc. for. :D I still have a few Ultima cloth maps on the wall of my work-room. From a more practical point of view, you're not wrong.

I agree with you. However, in the rare case that something so big and anticipated is coming, I can see some people (especially collector types) wanting something a little more substantial. If I was someone who had a physical collection, (even a small one) this would be one of the few games I'd want an empty box and toy, cloth map, etc. for. :D I still have a few Ultima cloth maps on the wall of my work-room. From a more practical point of view, you're not wrong.
They should sell like some paraphernalia version which doens't include the game but the random assortment of junk associated with the game instead :p just separate the two. maybe include the steam key for the ost :p lol

They should sell like some paraphernalia version which doens't include the game but the random assortment of junk associated with the game instead :p just separate the two. maybe include the steam key for the ost :p lol

I'd take a fully functional energy weapon. I'm happy to pay a few thousand for that. :D

This same shit happened with Witcher 3....I guarantee nothing is going to change in the game.

At this point I want to pay full price and give them a generous tip on top of that, lol. I guess Ma'am will be skipping this game. :)

BFBC2 had higher resolutions and more detail on the vehicles. Some other assets as well. Missile smoke looked better in Crysis as did water though. Point being, many games were beating Crysis graphically in some areas by that point. And BFBC2 runs much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back