Cyberpunk 2077

My 3080 needed DLSS Quality to run OK at 1440p. Without DLSS it would run at around 45fps with tweaking settings so they didn't detract that much from image quality. Cyberpunk needs 55-60fps or more to not feel laggy. Of course some are happy to play at 30-40fps, but I don't consider that running OK.
I am getting 55-75fps on rtx 3090 on 1440P with all ultra,rt ultra, and dlss quality, after update.I
53-55fps are sometimes when driving through crowded areas.That place when you go out from hotel.

Is this fine?

Last edited:
Undocumented balance changes make your character build matter more.
https://old.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkg...game_is_much_more_of_an_rpg_now_undocumented/
  • The maximum number of mod slots you can have across all clothing items was reduced from 20 to 9
  • Legendary mods now require legendary pieces of clothing to be equipped
  • Every mod is now tied to a specific category of clothing (i.e. Deadeye crit mod can only be equipped in eyewear gear)
  • Your default crit damage has been reduced from 100% to 50% and every point in Reflexes now gives 0.25% crit chance instead of 1%
  • Crit chance and crit damage of legendary weapons has been significantly reduced across the board
  • Stat requirements on some of the best legendary weapons have been increased (i.e. Comrade's Hammer now requires 10 body instead of 6 to use properly)
  • Legendary armadillo mods now give 75 armor per mod instead of 270
  • Evasion has been replaced with Mitigation. It is governed by 2 stats, similar to crit chance and crit damage. You have mitigation chance and mitigation amount, for example you can have a 10% chance to mitigate 50% of damage on hit.

I'm getting about 40-55fps on a 3070Ti in the new version at 4K with Performance DLSS, High settings, all RTX features on, and Medium RT Lighting. I'm not sure yet if they've fixed the performance regression issues though- with previous versions of the game, playing at 4K with RTX On would be fine initially, but after anywhere from 15mins - 2 hours, GPU utilization plummets and framerate drops to 2/3 - 1/2 of its usual amount and can only be fixed by restarting the game. My research and analysis strongly suggests it's a VRAM management issue but it only happens with RTX On- at 4K with otherwise the same settings but using ReShade RTGI instead of RTX results in the same base framerate but it maintains the performance indefinitely 🤔

I am getting 55-75fps on rtx 3090 on 1440P with all ultra,rt ultra, and dlss quality, after update.I
53-55fps are sometimes when driving through crowded areas.That place when you go out from hotel.

Is this fine?
omg just stop fretting about whether your fps is "right" or not. does it feel too choppy to enjoy? turn down some settings. that's it, that's all you have to do

High FPS is the easiest way to solve complex latency issues that VRR/G-Sync doesn't solve. Not going to go into depth but latency and smoothness perception differ user to user. I'll provide a few links that could help people mitigate some latency issues but not completely solve them, but it is definately of some use on demanding games in regards to latency. I'm aware Latency, FOV, and Motion Blur can cause motion sickness.

G-Sync 101 - Blur Busters, atleast check out the recommended settings on page 14.
Battle(Non)sense - 40% Less Input Lag Without AMD Anti-Lag or NVidia Ultra-Low Latency

Last edited:
Booted it up, tried the new benchmark. I feel that it doesn't benchmark a taxing enough situation of the game, but at least its reproduceable.

It seems smooth, but it's always felt smooth enough for me at 1440p on my 1080ti (around 45-60fps, which is fine for this style of game.) I tried turning on FSR, it looked goddamn awful, so i turned it off. I didn't actually play much of the game because I didn't want to spend the time to relearn all the skill trees - but i'll dig into it again sometime.

this game is by far the most brutal test of hardware i have in my library.

i prefer consistency over peak framerate so if a game, at given settings, runs at ~90 fps 80% of the time and ~50 fps 20% of the time, i'd rather tweak settings for a stable 60 fps. in cp2077 1.5, at 1440p, i found that to keep DLSS at 'quality' and maintain a truly consistent 60 fps, the only ray tracing feature i can have enabled is reflections. any of the other ones by themselves, or in conjunction, will drop me below 50 fps in the most demanding scenarios (typically the heaviest crowded areas in the middle of the day). each drop in DLSS quality makes a significant performance difference but playing at 1440p on a 48" display is poopy enough as it is. at 4k i assume i would need either ray tracing off completely or stick to a more aggressive DLSS setting but i haven't bothered attempting it yet. all other graphics setting are kept at maximum. it's also one of those games that doesn't like playing at a fullscreen resolution that is greater than the current desktop res, so in order to even run 4k i have to dick around changing my desktop res first.

btw i'm playing at 1440p because i'm still on the hunt for a 3080 ti for 4k 120hz, and i greatly prefer hz and response time over resolution.

also the game is enjoyable in its current state but really doesn't feel too much different from how it was on launch day, all things considered. oh, my favorite change so far is that they FINALLY fixed the fucking subtitles so that if you have them turned off, the non-english VO will still get subbed. i dunno if this was part of 1.5 or on the previous patch but either way i cannot believe it took them that long to figure this out. the only other thing i haven't tested yet is smart weapon HUD elements with 'crosshair' turned off. i'm hoping they changed that so the smart weapon HUDs still appear regardless of the crosshair setting, because it makes no fucking sense to turn those off in any scenario. it's things like that that make me do my best AVGN "what were they thinking????" impression.

edit: one more thing.. having made new characters and playing up to jackie's death several times now, i swear to god there are some new dialogue options here and there on this new character i made for a full 1.5+ playthrough. am i losing my mind or have they actually sprinkled new dialogue and interactions here and there?

Last edited:
I tried turning on FSR, it looked goddamn awful, so i turned it off.

Yeahhhh, I was SEVERELY disappointed by just how bad FSR image quality really was....

(Ever since my first experience with AA using my Geforce 2, I absolutely refuse to tolerate "jaggies" - and FSR produces A LOT of them)

i prefer consistency over peak framerate so if a game, at given settings, runs at ~90 fps 80% of the time and ~50 fps 20% of the time, i'd rather tweak settings for a stable 60 fps. in cp2077 1.5, at 1440p, i found that to keep DLSS at 'quality' and maintain a truly consistent 60 fps, the only ray tracing feature i can have enabled is reflections. any of the other ones by themselves, or in conjunction, will drop me below 50 fps in the most demanding scenarios (typically the heaviest crowded areas in the middle of the day). each drop in DLSS quality makes a significant performance difference but playing at 1440p on a 48" display is poopy enough as it is. at 4k i assume i would need either ray tracing off completely or stick to a more aggressive DLSS setting but i haven't bothered attempting it yet. all other graphics setting are kept at maximum. it's also one of those games that doesn't like playing at a fullscreen resolution that is greater than the current desktop res, so in order to even run 4k i have to dick around changing my desktop res first.

btw i'm playing at 1440p because i'm still on the hunt for a 3080 ti for 4k 120hz, and i greatly prefer hz and response time over resolution.

also the game is enjoyable in its current state but really doesn't feel too much different from how it was on launch day, all things considered. oh, my favorite change so far is that they FINALLY fixed the fucking subtitles so that if you have them turned off, the non-english VO will still get subbed. i dunno if this was part of 1.5 or on the previous patch but either way i cannot believe it took them that long to figure this out. the only other thing i haven't tested yet is smart weapon HUD elements with 'crosshair' turned off. i'm hoping they changed that so the smart weapon HUDs still appear regardless of the crosshair setting, because it makes no fucking sense to turn those off in any scenario. it's things like that that make me do my best AVGN "what were they thinking????" impression.

edit: one more thing.. having made new characters and playing up to jackie's death several times now, i swear to god there are some new dialogue options here and there on this new character i made for a full 1.5+ playthrough. am i losing my mind or have they actually sprinkled new dialogue and interactions here and there?
regarding the convo options, I've discussed this with other Cyberpunkers and it's does seem that they've been subtly changing / adding conversations- across the entire patch history in fact. I've spent a fair amount of time digging through the audio archives for various reasons and found a LOT of unused dialogue; some that seems to be alternate/extended lines for existing convos, and some seem to be totally cut lines or even unused convos. I can't remember which off top, but there was at least one time where I was doing first playthru on a new patch version, and was surprised and pleased to hear a line in-game that previously I'd only knew existed from deep dives into the game files.

regarding the convo options, I've discussed this with other Cyberpunkers and it's does seem that they've been subtly changing / adding conversations- across the entire patch history in fact. I've spent a fair amount of time digging through the audio archives for various reasons and found a LOT of unused dialogue; some that seems to be alternate/extended lines for existing convos, and some seem to be totally cut lines or even unused convos. I can't remember which off top, but there was at least one time where I was doing first playthru on a new patch version, and was surprised and pleased to hear a line in-game that previously I'd only knew existed from deep dives into the game files.
ok, good to know i'm not full of shit, lol. i'm playing a little more tonight and came across yet more dialogue in the main questline that i'm positive was not in there on my previous character. i wonder if they simply didn't have time to add all the VO they had (expanding dialogue trees, possible checks for previous quest flags, etc) or if they just thought they were throwing "too much" dialogue at the player and slowing the pace down. either way i'm very happy to see the game's best aspect be expanded upon.

I downloaded the 5 hour demo of 1.5 was ready to pull the trigger for $25 but this game confuses... It seems overly techy and difficult and over complicated just to select basic gear and upgrades. Kind of put me off.

ok, good to know i'm not full of shit, lol. i'm playing a little more tonight and came across yet more dialogue in the main questline that i'm positive was not in there on my previous character. i wonder if they simply didn't have time to add all the VO they had (expanding dialogue trees, possible checks for previous quest flags, etc) or if they just thought they were throwing "too much" dialogue at the player and slowing the pace down. either way i'm very happy to see the game's best aspect be expanded upon.
Yeah, the notion that they cut dialogue to speed up the pacing is sad but seems plausible. And that's not a dig at '77 or CDPR specifically, seems like it's a thing that happens a lot with game dev. I totally agree about the dialogue / character development being the best aspect of the game. Gimmie the interactive narration, all of it!

Not sure if you tried Digital Foundry's optimized settings, but they are really good for a starting point on optimizing. The video is likely earlier in the thread but I'll repost it so nobody needs to look through 87 pages.

Alex Battaglia's Article on Eurogamer

any pointers for which settings to use with v1.5? 3080 with 4k. No VRR. the first minute of the game is giving me ~ 28 FPS with DLSS Quality and whatever else they pre-filled for the settings and it feels BAD.

any pointers for which settings to use with v1.5? 3080 with 4k. No VRR. the first minute of the game is giving me ~ 28 FPS with DLSS Quality and whatever else they pre-filled for the settings and it feels BAD.
Fwiw, the game can have performance issues during the first moments of the game when V is looking in the mirror, especially during the Street Kid intro. Any mirror that reflects the player character in Cyberpunk is a nightmare of technical complexity and even being near one without looking in it can cause framerate drops.

That said, the default settings are decidedly not well optimized so

I'd start with-

DLSS Performance
High quality settings
RTX shadows On
RTX reflections Off
RTX lighting High

That gets me about 45-55fps on an extremely overclocked 3070Ti so a 3080 should be able to keep a solid 60. If that works, could try adding RT reflections and / or upping RT lighting to Ultra.

Alternatively,
DLSS Quality
mix of High and Ultra quality settings (keep volumetrics to High)
RTX OFF

should work too

Just be wary about combining 4K with Quality DLSS and Raytracing 'cause that's like rendering native 1440P which is a lotta pixels for them RT cores to throw rays at.

I gathered a little data from testing a few things if anyone is interested. My base settings were maximum settings without RT enabled.

Contact Shadows = .54%
Facial Lighting Geometry = .078%
Anisotropic Filtering 8x = .905%
Local Mesh Quality Med = .85%
Local Mesh Quality Low = 2.00%
Local Shadow Quality Med = 1.37%
Local Shadow Quality Low = 2.24%
Local Shadow Quality Off = 2.86%
Cascaded Shadows Range Med = 1.62%
Cascaded Shadows Range Low = 1.82%
Cascaded Shadow Resolution Med = 2.16%
Cascaded Shadow Resolution Low = 2.69%
Distant Shadow Resoultion Low = 2.17%
Volumetric Fog Res High = 2.35%
Volumetric Fog Res Med = 7.30%
Volumetric Fog Res Low = 6.59%
Volumetric Cloud Quality High = 2.15%
Volumetric Cloud Quality Med = 1.52%
Volumetric Cloud Quality Off = 1.35%
Max Dynamic Decals High = 1.05%
Max Dynamic Decals Med = 1.09%
Max Dynamic Decals Low = -.3%???
Screen Space Ref Quality Ultra = 35.08%
Screen Space Ref Quality High = 40.08%
Screen Space Ref Quality Med = 43.60%
Screen Space Ref Quality Low = 44.34%
Screen Space Ref Quality Off = 46.80%
Subsurface Scattering Med = 1.2% < Margin of Error
Subsurface Scattering Low = .14% < Margin of Error
Ambient Occlusion Med = 1.52%
Ambient Occlusion Low = 1.74%
Ambient Occlusion Off = 2.24%
Color Precision Med = .58%
Mirror Quality Med =
Mirror Quality Low =
Level of Detail Med = .65% < Margin of Error
Level of Detail Low = .53% < Margin of Error

HDR10PQ = 0%
HDR10scRGB = -1.1%

RT Reflection = -6.68%
RT Shadows = -12.5%
RT Local Shadows = -8.84%
RT Lighting Med = -29.67%
RT Lighting Ultra = -32%
RT Lighting Psycho = -40.3%
RT Ref+Shad = -9.52%
RT Ref+LocShad = -9.14%
RT Ref+Light Med = -27.29%
RT Ref+Light Ult = -29.6%
RT Ref+Light Psy = -39.45%
RT Shadow+LocShad = -15.7%
RT Shadow+Light Med = -32.3%
RT Shadow+Light Ult = -35%
RT Shadow+Light Psy = -42.65%
RT LocShad+Light Med = -31.14%
RT LocShad+Light Ult = -34.72%
RT LocShad+Light Psy = -42.15%
RT Ref+Shad+LocShad = -13.12%
RT Ref+Shad+Light Med = -41.88%
RT Ref+Shad+Light Ult = -33.23%
RT Ref+Shad+Light Psy = -38.69%
RT Ref+LocShad+Light Med = -29.47%
RT Ref+LocShad+Light Ult = -32.2%
RT Ref+LocShad+Light Psy = -42.36%
RT Shad+LocShad+Light Med = -34.45%
RT Shad+LocShad+Light Ult = -36.38%
RT Shad+LocShad+Light Psy = -44.07
RT Ref+Shad+LocShad+Light Med = -31.8%
RT Ref+Shad+LocShad+Light Ult = -34.83%
RT Ref+Shad+LocShad+Light Psy = -40.66%

MS Game Bar = -1.8%
GeForce Overlay = -1.94%
Steam Overlay = 0%
RTSS = 0%
Disable Full Screen Optimizations = -1.82%

I gathered a little data from testing a few things if anyone is interested. My base settings were maximum settings without RT enabled.

Contact Shadows = .54%
Mirror Quality Med =
Mirror Quality Low =

HDR10PQ = 0%
HDR10scRGB = -1.1%

RT Reflection = -6.68%
RT Shadows = -12.5%
RT Lighting Ultra = -32%
RT Ref+Shad = -9.52%
RT Ref+LocShad = -9.14%

MS Game Bar = -1.8%
GeForce Overlay = -1.94%
Steam Overlay = 0%
RTSS = 0%
interesting... it would seem there's nothing that's really that impactful in the non-RT settings besides SSR quality and volumetric fog quality, and for RT it's the ray traced lighting that hits the frames the hardest. this matches my anecdotal testing as well. i did decide to give 4k a try on my 2080 ti this morning and discovered there is no way in hell i can run with ray tracing @ 4k without performance or ultra performance DLSS selected (with my preference being locked solid 60 fps.)

the ray tracing features do look nice but imho there is still no way i can justify the performance costs when the game looks 95% as good overall with it completely disabled, and runs so much better.

i think it's fair to conclude that 3080 or better is required to really enjoy ray tracing features with smooth framerates @ 4k and DLSS @ balanced or quality.

Contact Shadows = .54%
Mirror Quality Med =
Mirror Quality Low =

HDR10PQ = 0%
HDR10scRGB = -1.1%

RT Reflection = -6.68%
RT Shadows = -12.5%
RT Lighting Ultra = -32%
RT Ref+Shad = -9.52%
RT Ref+LocShad = -9.14%

MS Game Bar = -1.8%
GeForce Overlay = -1.94%
Steam Overlay = 0%
RTSS = 0%
YO thank you for taking the time to get that data. Very interesting breakdown of the RT performance hits especially; I hadn't expected that lighting would have the largest performance hit and reflections the smallest.

I think you can turn off rasterized Local Shadows, Turn SSR down to Low, Volumetric Fog to Medium and get a decent framerate with some raytracing features, I haven't fully tested yet to see if there are any fake lights in the game if you use RT Lighting, RT Local Shadows, and RT Reflections. But this would be for either DLSS Performance at 4K or DLSS Quality at 1440P

this game is still 90% as janky as it was on launch day... i still see various visual glitches with animation, textures, ai, etc around every corner, they're just different ones from before :D. nothing's game breaking but it just contributes to the overall sense of jank. at least my character isn't t-posing through the car while driving around anymore.

the claire street races are still the most hilariously hacked together thing i have EVER seen in a aaa game. if you look behind you while driving, you will see that all the competitors are literally just being respawned over and over and over because they have no actual street racing ai. they just spawn and crash and flip and tumble, fall behind as you're speeding away, and then spawn in again, rinse and repeat. they really, REALLY should not have kept these quests in the game because it is the most immersion breaking thing... should've just had a more low-key rally style checkpoint race or something and reworked claire's questline.

Outside of the RTX Local Shadows option being added to Settings, are there additional changes/fixes implemented in this 10GB 1.51 update?

(I can't seem to find any documentation regarding the 1.51 update....)

Ok, 8GB VRAM people, is there a solution to framerate periodically tanking at 4K with RTX?

It's been the same in every version of the game- finally get the right settings and it's going along well at 50FPS in the VRR zone, but then VRAM gets too full and framerate drops by 30-50% and stays there even after more VRAM is freed up. In 1.5 it seems they finally addressed it somewhat because the game is more capable of recovering (going to the pause menu for a moment helps sometimes now for instance) but once an "RTX VRAM temper tantrum" is triggered, performance and frametime consistency never go back until the game is restarted. It only seems to happen with RTX on and it's a real downer because otherwise my 3070Ti can do 45-60fps VRR and my 2070 Super 30fps locked at 4K with RTX & DLSS. Neither of those cards have this problem when VRAM gets full in Cyber'77 with RTX off, and neither did my old Vega 64 which would regularly overfill its HBM at 1920x1200 native and spill 1-3GB into DDR3.

Even Metro: Exodus Enhanced Edition doesn't have this issue at 4K which makes me wonder if it's something with the memory management in this implementation of Red Engine 4 that's doing something silly like accidentally evicting the BVH from GDDR. Or is this one of those situations where 8GB is actually not enough for consistent performance? :(

Here are my recommended settings for the RayTraced experience if anyone is interested.

This was targeting 1080P/950P Render (4K/Perf DLSS or 1440P/Quality DLSS). As I feel the trade for DLSS Balanced isn't worth it with the updated DLSS.

Advanced Settings

Contact Shadows: On
Improved Facial Lighting Geometry: On
Anisotropic Filtering: 16
Local Shadow Mesh Quality: High
Local Shadow Quality: Off
Cascaded Shadows Range: High
Cascaded Shadows Resolution: High
Distant Shadows Resolution: High
Volumetric Fog Resolution: Medium
Volumetric Cloud Resolution: High
Max Dynamic Decals: High
Screen Space Reflection Quality: Off
Subsurface Scattering Quality: High
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Color Precision: High
Mirror Quality: High
Level of Detail: High

RT Settings

Ray Tracing: On
Ray-Traced Reflections: On
Ray-Traced Shadows: On
Ray-Traced Local Shadows: On
Ray-Traced Lighting: Medium

DLSS Quality: Performance at 4K / Quality at 1440P

If you have performance to spare...
(I use this setting on a overclocked 3090)

Change Ray-Traced Lighting to Ultra -4% Performance

If more performance is needed...

Change Ray-Traced Shadows to OFF +3.7% Performance
or
Change Ambient Occlusion to High, Change Ray-Traced Lighting to OFF +20.23% Performance (most likely for anyone under a RTX 3080, unless you have a decent overclock)

If you need further performance...

Color Precision:
Medium (personally I think it makes too big of an impact on faces close up)

Anisotrophic Filtering: 8x (I feel this would be ok for people who play further away from their screen, but is definately noticible if you play upclose)
Performance improved some after the last patch for me, I get 59 fps at 4K on my overclocked 3090 in the performance benchmark. This is with all the advanced graphical settings maxed out using DLSS performance. I turn off Film Grain, Chromatic Abberation, Depth Of Field, Lens Flare, and Motion Blur. With HDR on, this game looks breathtaking at night with all the neon scenes and ray traced effects. I am on a 65" OLED and play from my recliner about 8' away and look forward to a 2nd play thru after some more patches and when my game backlog is not so full.

Performance improved some after the last patch for me, I get 59 fps at 4K on my overclocked 3090 in the performance benchmark. This is with all the advanced graphical settings maxed out using DLSS performance. I turn off Film Grain, Chromatic Abberation, Depth Of Field, Lens Flare, and Motion Blur. With HDR on, this game looks breathtaking at night with all the neon scenes and ray traced effects. I am on a 65" OLED and play from my recliner about 8' away and look forward to a 2nd play thru after some more patches and when my game backlog is not so full.
you mean that 10gb update?

Back