Cyberpunk 2077

It's actually surreal downloading the preload, been waiting years for this game. 3 more days to go.
dlcp77.jpg

With how long large Steam preloads usually take to decrypt/unlock, it might actually be faster for me to play by downloading it after it launches, lol:
Yea I completely forgot about that, haven't preloaded in awhile, but I remember one game taking me like 10mins to decrypt/unlock... think it was Death Stranding. Could download the full game in that time plus get the day 1 patch.

If you have fast internet you’re better off not preloading. Even with a fast drive it takes forever.

The preload comes with an executable file, which got people excited that perhaps CD Projekt Red had somehow screwed-up and released the game early...trying to play the game this way results in the following screen...

Attachments

• 9536.jpg
    9536.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 0
So, reviews dropped. Seeing a common theme: Game is great, but doesn't live up to the hype. Technical issues everywhere.

This is exactly what I expected. The hype for this game ballooned way to huge. It was impossible to live up to. But not living up to hype does not make it a bad game. Sounds like the gameplay is still solid, and the world engaging. Technical issues are no surprise, given both the scope of the game and the development history. At least the later can be fixed in patches, and we know CDPR has a good track record for mopping up it's technical deficiencies. I didn't read or watch reviews, just skimming for details… so no idea if these reviews reflect the day one patch.

Gigabit here, it was preloaded and ready to go in 10 minutes.
He means on launch day when it decrypts. Downloading after launch will be a faster process for people on fast internet since you don't have to decrypt it, plus it should include the day 1 patch on launch day, the preload may not.

So, reviews dropped. Seeing a common theme: Game is great, but doesn't live up to the hype. Technical issues everywhere.

This is exactly what I expected. The hype for this game ballooned way to huge. It was impossible to live up to. But not living up to hype does not make it a bad game. Sounds like the gameplay is still solid, and the world engaging. Technical issues are no surprise, given both the scope of the game and the development history. At least the later can be fixed in patches, and we know CDPR has a good track record for mopping up it's technical deficiencies. I didn't read or watch reviews, just skimming for details… so no idea if these reviews reflect the day one patch.
This is not surprising in the least. No way was this going to live up to the hype for the many people who were saying their whole reason to spend $2000 on upgrades was CP2077.

That said, it looks like from the reviews a lot of the dings are due to tech issues. Those can be fixed (and likely will, knowing CDProject)

I've tried to stay away from the hype for the past 6 (?) years. I'll likely pick it up, but having played the pen-and-paper as a kid, I'm just as interested in the treatment to the IP as I am in the actual game. I imagine a 13 year-old me's head would have exploded seeing a trailer for a CP game.

Last edited:
He means on launch day when it decrypts. Downloading after launch will be a faster process for people on fast internet since you don't have to decrypt it, plus it should include the day 1 patch on launch day, the preload may not.

Hm, never thought about that and never had to wait any amount of time. *shrugs*

scores are definitely not as high as people were expecting...uneven is a word I keep seeing in reviews...and lots of bugs...

Seems to be averaging a 91, but recommended by 97% https://opencritic.com/game/8525/cyberpunk-2077

We'll see for ourselves in a few days. I don't give game journalists too much credibility after their complaining about Sekiro difficulty, then they all went back and upped the scores eventually. Now if it was someone like ACG saying the game was trash, he is someone I take seriously.

let's also keep in mind the reviews are without the day one patch... the day one patch is the entire reason the game was delayed to dec 10th. that being said, that doesn't mean it's going to go from buggy to bug-free, but something to think about.

let's also keep in mind the reviews are without the day one patch... the day one patch is the entire reason the game was delayed to dec 10th. that being said, that doesn't mean it's going to go from buggy to bug-free, but something to think about.
Do we actually know this? The Reddit review thread is a joke. Half the posts saying the reviews are unpatched, the other half saying no, they definitely have the patch. Someone (I believe PC Gamer?) tweeted they had the day one patch, but people are disputing that they had "a" patch, not "the" patch.

Given than technical issues are the only universal complaint, I feel like CDPR would do well address it. Make a statement, tell us if reviewers are on the same code were getting Thursday. Give us a (limited) set a patch notes to let us know if some of the complaints in reviews have been addressed.

The fact is that it could be getting perfect scores from all sources and it wouldn't meet some people's expectations.

Based on initial performance reviews it looks like I’ll be sticking with native 4K, RT off, DLSS on with my 2080Ti. That’s been the story since I got this GPU - RT is not with the performance cost (for me). DLSS 2.0 on the other hand has been awesome.

This is what PCGamer posted on their review page:

We received a 50GB patch during our review period. CDPR referred to this patch as the Day 0 patch. When asked for clarification whether the patch be what players were receiving at launch, a CDPR representative told us that the Day 0 patch is what people will be experiencing on launch day. It is the Day 1 patch, only different in name. More fixes will be rolled into the Day 0 (Day 1) patch, but we cannot specify exactly what.

In my opinion, the only thing to think about here, is that this is a buggy game and will be a buggy game for some non-trivial amount of time.

To be clear, I'm not "mad" about that. CDPR chose to release this in its current state. I have no doubt it will be fully fixed, eventually.

If i'm upset about anything, its that they made their teams crunch for a further delayed release date, which they still knew they wouldn't really make. I would like to have seen them delay this until solidly into Spring, let their teams have a normal work life. And release a game where any embarrassment, doesn't come from bugs and glitches.

Based on initial performance reviews it looks like I’ll be sticking with native 4K, RT off, DLSS on with my 2080Ti. That’s been the story since I got this GPU - RT is not with the performance cost (for me). DLSS 2.0 on the other hand has been awesome.
CAn you do this, still use DLSS to make native 4K look even better ?

CAn you do this, still use DLSS to make native 4K look even better ?
I'm not sure what you mean. DLSS takes a lower resolution (which is why the performance is better) and upscales it to your display's resolution. You can do it with any resolution.

scores are definitely not as high as people were expecting...uneven is a word I keep seeing in reviews...and lots of bugs...
I imagined that it could have moved since that comment, but if a 91 MC score (with 0 negative) is definitely not as high as people were expecting, from someone not used to the modern reviews world maybe it got better than how ridiculous it was 10 year's ago (when about no big games in history got overall negative reviews) but still quite high ?

91 that about the same MC score than Lord of the rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and Annie Hall.

I'm not sure what you mean. DLSS takes a lower resolution (which is why the performance is better) and upscales it to your display's resolution. You can do it with any resolution.
That exactly what I understood DLSS to mean, make me wondering what the person said when they said: 4K native with DLSS on ? : I’ll be sticking with native 4K, RT off, DLSS on

I know it is possible to render more than your screen resolution to make a better looking image and that DLSS is trained with imagery that has 16 time more pixel than 4K, so I wondered if someone like that was possible, or maybe the person simply has a 5 or 6K screen ?

That exactly what I understood DLSS to mean, make me wondering what the person said when they said: 4K native with DLSS on ? : I’ll be sticking with native 4K, RT off, DLSS on

I know it is possible to render more than your screen resolution to make a better looking image and that DLSS is trained with imagery that has 16 time more pixel than 4K, so I wondered if someone like that was possible, or maybe the person simply has a 5 or 6K screen ?
Sorry ‘native’ was absolutely the wrong word. I’ll be running DLSS in this game based on my other experiences with DLSS 2.0, which has been fantastic.

I’m looking foreword to playing and preloading also. From what I’ve seen gameplay wise it will be plenty fun enough for me. Hopefully none of the bugs are flat out game breaking but if it’s a mess I can shelve it for a bit. The hype level is too high to be attainable really. What we can count on is the devs to keep on it and keep the fixes coming. That counts for a lot.

Exactly. People who are expecting a day-1 patch to entirely fix serious issues a) haven't been gamers for long and/or b) know nothing about dev cycles/sprints. A day-1 patch has never, in the history of games, made a broken game fixed (not saying CP2077 is "broken" in its current state, but it certainly seems to have serious issues). It's a long, slow slog to fix a buggy game -- and once people start playing the game, more and more bugs turn up that are prioritized.

AC: Unity is a good example of a game that was, for all intents and purposes, broken on release (which ratings and user feedback reflected). However, Ubisoft stuck with patching it over nearly a year and the game you play now is 99.9% clean. Hopefully, CDProjeckt does the same with CP2077.

It feels a little surreal to actually watch this game download. The last time I can recall a game like this was Morrowind. Bethesda basically told the world it was coming eventually, but with the move to Win32 it would be almost 8 damn years before it finally came out.

To be clear, I'm not "mad" about that. CDPR chose to release this in its current state. I have no doubt it will be fully fixed, eventually.

If i'm upset about anything, its that they made their teams crunch for a further delayed release date, which they still knew they wouldn't really make. I would like to have seen them delay this until solidly into Spring, let their teams have a normal work life. And release a game where any embarrassment, doesn't come from bugs and glitches.

I have mixed feelings. I almost always favor delays. I've got a large enough backlog to keep me busy, there's no games that I need any sooner than when they are at their best.

In the case of CP2077, I think the issue runs a little deeper. Remember, they announced this game EIGHT years ago. They gave it a big E3 trailer seven years ago. The hype they grew in that time was huge, but hype only lasts so long. The more delays, the longer delays, the more you risk loosing some of your audience. Ultimately, I don't think they should have announced the game when they did. I don't think they should have built it to run on Xbox One and PS4. I don't think they should have announced a release date when they did. Perception is important. If early this year, for their first delay, they announced it would be pushed back a full year, people would be pissed and hype would diminish. If they hadn't announced the game until well after TW3 ran its course, say 2018 or so, with a big media push in 2021 and a 2021 release day, they could have had all the hype, the time to polish, and a fully next-gen experience.

At this point, i'm sure they've spent so much time and money on this game that they have no choice but to release it. They know the game will sell well despite the issues. They know the holdouts will buy it eventually when the "enhanced edition" drops. The game will be successful no matter what, and i'm sure someone decided that they cannot afford another delay. And the reality is, any other company does the same anyway. All too easily we forget the travesty that every single Bethesda RPG is at launch. Most open world games of this scale are, it's the nature of the beast. At least, CDPR has a good track record for post-release support.

Truthfully, i'm not worried.

So, people putting up video reviews today were not allowed to use anything other than marketing footage for their videos. The NDA did not allow them to use their own footage, so don't expect to see ANY footage of mentioned bugs and the like from videos until after release.

https://twitter.com/SkillUpYT/status/1335999301382639618
The IGN review did a good job of verbally describing the bugs they encountered. It would be nice to actually see them, but you get the point.

The game sounds buggy even with the day 0 patch according to some reviews I have checked out. CDPR fixed Witcher 3 quickly, hopefully it's the same for Cyberpunk 2077, though I don't remember anything too serious with Witcher 3. Aside from the bugs, it seems that most people are really enjoying the game.

So it looks like this game is super buggy by reading reviews. I'll wait a bit to grab it after some patches and feedback from early adopters.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/reviews/cyberpunk-impressions/

What makes matters worse is that this game is boiling over with glitches, particularly toward the game’s climax. As the game neared its end, every main character of the game was touched by some hilarious, scene-breaking glitch — including the very final shot of the story before the credits rolled. Whether this world holds together is a question I just can’t answer yet. My early impressions come with many caveats.

It’s a good thing “Cyberpunk 2077” gets so many details right, because in its current prelaunch state, it’s … what you’d expect from a launch CDPR game. Before “Witcher 3” became the darling of the industry, it was released in a famously buggy state. “Cyberpunk 2077” continues this tradition despite seven years in development, several delays and worrying reports of overtime crunch.

Despite the delays, it’s clear the game needed more time in the oven.

Has there ever been a large open game like this that didn't launch with a zillion bugs? I can't say I'm surprised.

So it looks like this game is super buggy by reading reviews. I'll wait a bit to grab it after some patches and feedback from early adopters.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/reviews/cyberpunk-impressions/

What makes matters worse is that this game is boiling over with glitches, particularly toward the game’s climax. As the game neared its end, every main character of the game was touched by some hilarious, scene-breaking glitch — including the very final shot of the story before the credits rolled. Whether this world holds together is a question I just can’t answer yet. My early impressions come with many caveats.

It’s a good thing “Cyberpunk 2077” gets so many details right, because in its current prelaunch state, it’s … what you’d expect from a launch CDPR game. Before “Witcher 3” became the darling of the industry, it was released in a famously buggy state. “Cyberpunk 2077” continues this tradition despite seven years in development, several delays and worrying reports of overtime crunch.

Despite the delays, it’s clear the game needed more time in the oven.

Makes sense since the review copies did not get the massive Day 1 patch everyone would be getting.

Back